Hoi An Nightlife

Happy happy why not, in Hoi An.
    by cachaseiro

Most Recent Nightlife in Hoi An

• Downtown Watering Hole Bar: Meet strangers and make new friends

by Kong1977 Written Feb 24, 2013
    the front

The Downtown Watering Hole Bar is a new bar just opened few weeks ago. If you want to meet other travellers, this is the place. good music and not so loud. I (Kong) am a firendly guy who tries to get everybody to talk to each other. I travelled a lot before i started a bar i know what travellers want. Meeting new friends! nobody sits alone in this bar. i will make sure that won't happen. we have drinkinggames in the bar if you want to play. a special game from holland. i spend most my life in holland. i lived in malaysia for 8 years.
    My motto is come as a stranger, leaves as a friend.

Dress Code: What ever you like!!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Happy happy why not.: For late night drinking and craziness.

by cachaseiro Written Sep 20, 2012
    Dancing on the pooltable at

Happy happy why not is a classic little crazy bar in Hoi An where people tend to end up after midnight when the other places start closing.
    This place is loud music, lot's of drinking and crazy atmosphere.
    They have a pooltable there, but people rarely play pool on it, but there might be dancing on the pool table.
    The place is pretty insane and very youngish and certainly not a place for quiet couples.
    Neither is it a stylish place with comfy furniture, but more the kindaplace that has graffitti on the walls and a sticky carpet.
    This is in short the liveliest hole in the wall in Hoi An.

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

Any Restaurant-pub along Hoi An: Enjoy the lights along Hoi An River

by Ramonq Updated Apr 17, 2012

This is such a relaxing and enjoyable past time in Hoi An. Don't expect hard thumping music and chic pubs as this is an area that is very traditional. Just watch the people along the road from the balconies or the boats that are anchored along the river.

Dress Code: As you are.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Dive bar.: Nice place to relax with a few beers.

by cachaseiro Written Feb 8, 2011

Having a drink at the dive bar in Hoi An.

The dive bar is owned by a bunch of expats who also run a diving company.
    I have met several expats in Hoi An and you have both some very good ones and some really dodgy characters.
    This bar is owned by some of the very good ones and i really liked the atmosphere there.
    I popped by there a few evenings for drinks and spend most of the time there chatting to people as it´s a very social venue.

Dress Code: Very casual and i can´t imagine any dresscode here.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Tam Tam Bar: Tam Tam all through the night

by King_Golo Updated Sep 27, 2008

Me at TamTam

Tam Tam Bar is a very good place to spend your nights in Hoi An. Start there with a wonderful dinner - the food is delicious, probably the best Western food available in Central Vietnam.
    Try to get a table on the balcony or in front of the building and you can watch the passers-by from up there. After that have a refreshing cocktail, a tasty fruit shake or a cool beer and move to the bar area. You'll easily get into contact with the people there - mainly Australians, as it seems. As far as I know, the owner is from down under, too. Tam Tam offers a wide selection of drinks and food and, although the prices are above average, should not be missed.

Dress Code: no dress code

• kenningst's Profile Photo

Night lights: Night lights

by kenningst Written Jun 6, 2008

As night falls the whole of old town is lit up with lanterns especially near the Thu Bon river. It is so bright and colorful and I really like the different colors and shapes. Looks like big christmas trees all around town. Check out the pictures and you will know what I mean.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

all over town: games of light

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 19, 2007

nightscape

The best thing to do in Hoi An, at night, is to talk about the tiny streets and lanes and admire it... it's one of the few well-lit cities in Vietnam, and - in the darkness - you don't sense so much the fact that the town has become a bit of a tourist trap.

Walking about you'll feel taken back in time... the longer you'll wait, the better the feel will be - as people tend to return to their homes or hotel bedrooms really early... At 10 PM you will have Hoi An almost to yourself... and it will be a very enjoyable feeling

Dress Code: Casual is fine.

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Salsa Club: Best after hours place to be

by traceyspacey Written Jul 16, 2007

Set over the other side of the river to the old town, Salsa club doesn't really get going until after 12. They have a full moon party every Thursday, free drinks on arrival. The moto drivers will tell you that Salsa isn't very good (it's within walking distance, so you don't need moto). The interior is funky with comfy seats. The music, I think depends it on what the owner puts on. Can be interesting. Drinks are reasonably priced.

If it looks empty from the outside, that's because everyone is inside.

Dress Code: No dress code

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Tam Tam Cafe and Bar: Party atmosphere better upstairs

by traceyspacey Written Jul 16, 2007

After a couple of visits, we discovered that most people head upstairs. Tam Tam is in a restored tea warehouse. Upstairs there is a lounge area that is great for groups, with smaller tables for couples. Music is mixed, gets people into a party mood. Before you know it's 2.30am and it's closing time. It's not the cheapest place to drink, but the atmosphere makes up for it. Pool table, connect 4 etc as well.

Dress Code: No dress code

• muddybok's Profile Photo

Take it easy

by muddybok Updated Nov 30, 2006

Hoi An is one of those nice little town that most ang-mos will love to stay for days or even weeks, but do very little of everything.

If i'm not limited by tight schedule, i'll stay here for at least one week.

This is what you should do, where everyday you will be doing slow breakfast, and then follow with tea breaks, then dinner and beer at some bar with live traditional musical performance. And next day repeat the same.

• Photography

• ellielou's Profile Photo

some karaoke joint: it's payday, it's K-A-R-A-O-K-E!

by ellielou Written Aug 8, 2006

ready to hand over the mic

Ok. This event was one reason I was happy to be in Hoi An, and was one of the highlights of a monthlong trip. Of course, you don't NEED to be in Hoi An to participate in karaoke, but this is where I happened to experiece the full Vietnamese karaoke works.

Long story short:

Took a cooking class. Ended up talking to the chef, who offered to take me around the outskirst of Hoi An on his motorbike. I graciously accepted. While I was drinking a cup of Vietnamese coffee with him, in a place with no tourists, I happened to catch a glimpse of a karaoke sign. Quite innocently I asked, so, do you do karaoke? Yes, came the reply. And it just so happens, that today is payday, and the staff from the cooking school is meeting for karaoke. And, guess what, it's about 50 meters from your hotel. (I'm an American, don't know from meters, but take it that it's pretty close.)

So, he says he'll pick me up at my hotel at 8. Ok. He doesn't arrive until 8.30, by which time I had scheduled a pedicure. Some slight confusion ensues.

We drive the 50 meters to this place. Now, when I've done karaoke, it's in a bar. But, this, this was a room. A small room on the second floor or some building, with a tv, a sofa, a coffee table, and a colored disco ball. A few of the women from the cooking school are sitting around, a bit confused as to why I was there. Then the music started. (continued below...if you care to read on....)

Dress Code: continued...

I'm confused. I'm hot. This is a bit odd, but I'm loving it. More people arrived, and again, they are shocked, shocked that there is a paying customer from the school.

People look through the karaoke book, play a bit with the remote control, and start singing these songs. Now, I don't know Vietnamese, but I can just tell that they are the cheesiest of love songs. I mean, beyond cheesy. And, for the most part, they are being sung earnestly.

They tell me to sing. The selection of songs in English is maybe two pages long. I pick Carole King's "It's Too Late Baby," but the music is off, and the video is weird, and I can't finish. But, even more important than that, I sense that I am losing my audience.

I stay quiet for a while.

They ask me to sing again. This time I pick, "We Are Family." It's a hit. The group sings along to the "We are family, I've got all my sisters with me," bit. I'm delightfully happy.

I sing again. My last song. This time I pick, "We Will Rock You." (No one can say that I've not learned my song picking lesson.) Again, I hit. I feel redeemed!

• Music

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Dream bar: Not much....

by littlebush Written Apr 30, 2006

theres no real nightlife in hoi an-try treats, or tam tam's. or have a beer in mango rooms. everywhere ***s at 11pm. if you want a late one go to the dream bar, out of town, youll find it as people will come around the bars telling you to go around 11pm, its usally open til 1am, as long as the police dont turn up. it seems a bit dingy but its ok, usually got a free bbq too.

try da nang for a night out, the new phong dong club is expensive! 38k for a beer and the music so loud! or try the red bar. not many tourists in da nang so more of an experience.

• sieffron's Profile Photo

???: Late Night

by sieffron Written Apr 8, 2006

It was the only clean shirt I had!

Pay no attention if you are informed that Hoi An has no nightlife to speak of. Sure, the locals might go to sleep early, but that doesn't mean a few enterprising Vietnamese don't realize that the throngs of young adult tourists are still looking for action.
    When the bars in Hoi An's Heritage Town close at midnight or 1 AM, flag down a motorbike (or, more accurately, let a motorbike flag you down) and head across the Thu Bon River to the An Hoi Peninsula for after-hours bucket-swilling revelry at the open-air bar there. I don't recall the bar's name, but it's the only one there. The crowd is mostly backpackers, with a few crazy Vietnamese kids running around and the place stays open til sunrise.

"Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart; you just gotta poke around."

Dress Code: Come as you are, filthy backpacker!

• sieffron's Profile Photo

Treat's Cafe: Treat Yourself

by sieffron Written Apr 8, 2006

Treat's Cafe by day.

Treat's Cafe is open all day, but attracts its biggest crowd in the evening. There's a billiards table inside and comfortable seating on the patio out in front. Service isn't always very timely, but it is friendly. Even though it's one of Hoi An's more popular night spots, it never got crowded when I was there. There were always enough people to make it feel lively, but not stuffy.
    Treat's closes at midnight, but the party continues at the late night spots on the An Hoi Peninsula. Don't be afraid of the motorbike touts who gather outside Treat's at closing time. They're aggressive, but safe and will take you where you want to go.

Dress Code: Casual dress. Feel free to wear tourist dork t-shirts.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Quan An Restaurant 19: fresh beer, cold beer, cheap beer

by richiecdisc Updated Jan 28, 2005

a cold one after a photo shoot

Location, location, location. Well, this industrious local entrepreneur did not have the great riverside location so he came up with the next best thing: cheap cold beer. He was also a friendly sort that had us coming back as much for his infectious smile as the cheap brew he dutifully doled out. It was a great place to meet travelers too. Hey, it’s a world-wide known fact that we can’t resist cheap cold beer, right? ;)

We had a few of the snacks on offer and the fried wontons were okay though the portion was on the small side. Hey, with all that cheap beer flowing, I guess he’s got to make some money somehow. Anyway, the cheap cold beer (which is also fresh by the way) is only 3,000 dong (less than 20 cents) a glass! Bia hoi is the Vietnamese name for fresh beer so if you see that sign anywhere, head in for generally cheap suds.

Dress Code: You might want a jacket if you head there late afternoon as once the sun goes down, it does get a bit chilly (well, in the winter anyway).

Instant Answers: Hoi An

Comments

Hoi An Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Hoi An nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hoi An sightseeing.