Ha Long What to Pack

Mags, mags, even girly kinds will do...
    by bpacker
    Red Parka , Cap, I'm ready to cruise!
    by bpacker
    Backpack
    by muddybok

Most Recent What to Pack in Ha Long

• stamporama's Profile Photo

Must-brings on a cruise

by stamporama Written Aug 2, 2009

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: It can be quite hot and humid out at sea so better bring sunblock (it's difficult to find or buy any from Hanoi's pharmacies), mosquito repellant and a wide-brimmed hat. The sunblock will come in handy should you swim or ride a kayak.

Miscellaneous: If you'll take an overnight cruise, bring along your own bottled water. Your boat might provide you a couple of complimentary bottles but that might not be enough for you. You can of course order on board but water and all other drinks cost extra.

• Cruise
    • Kayaking

• betska's Profile Photo

Don't pack too many woolies

by betska Updated Jun 13, 2009

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We travelled from HCMC up to Hanoi in March and the only time we needed to wear a jumper was in Dalat at night, and when we were out on Halong Bay. So I would suggest that you bring a jacket or jumper that you are not terribly fond of. Then you can dispose of it by giving it to a local. I donated mine to an elderly chap who was wheeling his grandchildren around the Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi.

• myspices's Profile Photo

Bring these .....

by myspices Written Feb 11, 2006

some things you should bring....

Luggage and bags: Small overnight bagpack with one day change of clothes, swimming gear

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring your own toiletries - No shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste provided. They do give you a towel and provide toilet rolls.
    Mosquito repellent (usually at the deck of boat, you will feel that there are some mosquitoes around)

Photo Equipment: Lots of memory cards for taking landscape of Halong Bay

Miscellaneous: your favourite book, a deck of card

Sun block

by muddybok Updated May 15, 2005

Sun block required!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: You need not to deliberately avoiding sun light when you’re visiting Ha Long Bay. If you do, your holiday destination should not be Vietnam at all.

I’ll encourage you to do some sun bathing after 3pm and do remember to apply sun block or you friend may wonder whether you have been visiting Africa destinations.

Another great companion for sun block is none other than cans of chilled beers (at least that work for me).

• Beaches

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Biting Winds in Winter

by bpacker Updated Jan 19, 2005

Red Parka , Cap, I'm ready to cruise!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The winds get biting cold during the months of Jan and at night, it can plunge down to as low as 5-6c. Brr! On top of that, there were light rains. My red parka which I wore in Scandinavia came in handy. It ward off the rain and kept me snug.

Haha, did I ever mention that I got this Landsend parka at half price because this is actually a kid's size sweater? Check out www.landsend.com for their nifty parkas.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: No need to bring toilet paper. It ain't the dark ages here.

Photo Equipment: Bring lots of memory sticks or compact flash. I doubt you'll find a digital cam equipment store in Cat Ba. Alternatively there is a camera shop at Ha Long City, right at the harbour front selling film.

Miscellaneous: Hmm, maybe a cap for bad hair days..

• bpacker's Profile Photo

What to bring to keep sane

by bpacker Updated Jan 17, 2005

Mags, mags, even girly kinds will do...

Miscellaneous: Bring lots of magazines when you're touring on a junk in Ha Long Bay, if not, you'll just plain go out of your mind with boredom!

Haha, Ken, you are right, I did lug around this girly mag everywhere. Should have brought a fake moustache to smoke on one of those pipes.

• guell's Profile Photo

The Sea Sickness Patch

by guell Updated Dec 17, 2004

another Junk on Halong Bay

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I've thrown up in the water two times in my life, once while snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta, and another time while kayaking on Maui. I was determined not to let this happen to me again, so I got the patch. Scopolamine was release into my skin behind the ear. It lasted the three days we were on the water, and it worked!

• muddybok's Profile Photo

Camera & Gigabytes of Memory Sticks (or Films)

by muddybok Written Oct 26, 2004

Bok!!

Photo Equipment: Bringing a good camera to Ha Long Bay will definitely make you a happier & proud traveler. My pals were amazed of those formations by looking at photographs. I am definitely more blessed than them because I was in it.

Ok, gigabytes may be too much but no harm having few hundred MB for Ha Long shots.

For those who’re using compact or 35mm SLR cameras do bring enough films of different ASA reading. When you’re out of films, no one can really help you.

May be the boat man do sell some films or you may try drink vendors at those caves?

• Beaches

Backpacker Essentials

by muddybok Written Oct 26, 2004

Backpack

Luggage and bags: Not many people come to Ha Long with heels and beautiful outfits. We normally dress simple and with our backpacks on our back, especially true for those who sign up for 2D/1N or 3D/2N package.

I check in my excessive baggage at hotel which I going to stay in before I fly back to Kuala Lumpur at no cost. Of course they would like to keep your baggage as ransom so that you will revisit them. To me, that is fine too and we actually exploited each other for our own benefits.

• Arjaree's Profile Photo

Trip to Ha Long Bay

by Arjaree Updated Sep 21, 2004

Ha Long Bay

Luggage and bags: A backpack or a day bag

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Swimwear, shorts, sunblock, sunglasses, sandals...

Photo Equipment: You may need to clear up the space in your digital camera, cos you will take a lot of pics!

Miscellaneous: Mosquito repellent

• Cruise
    • Kayaking

Instant Answers: Ha Long

Comments

Ha Long What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Ha Long what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ha Long sightseeing.