Parks / Gardens / Lakes, Canberra

Know about this? Rate It!

Happy little vegemite
    Watermelon pattern
    by iandsmith
    Some people were just happy to be there

Floriade 2011

by iandsmith Written Oct 11, 2011

Happy little vegemite

Favorite thing: Of course, Floriade is also about people; about the charming little girl with the great hat I spotted running around who just made my shot of the playground; the guy I met who was involved in the first ski resort in Kashmir; the old lady with the walker who was just happy to be there; the artist who was in a nice place, mentally and physically.

Fondest memory: There was also a display of the new Cotter Dam which will be considerably higher than the old one and hopefully ease the water problems that occurred during the last drought. It's going to be a significant structure and will be well worth a look if you're in the area.

• Festivals

Floriade 2011

by iandsmith Written Oct 11, 2011

Flowers could be food

Favorite thing: Of the many times I've been to Floriade, this was one of the best. The theme this year was food; food in many forms. Food as a watermelon, food as a barbecue, food as citrus, food as chocolate etc. The flower patterns are painstakingly woven into all these shapes and make for such a delightful cacophany of colour as to delight even the most discerning eye.

Fondest memory: It's just such a pleasure and I confess to getting a buzz everytime I turn up at the gate and, the best thing of all - IT'S FREE!

• Festivals

Floriade 2007

by iandsmith Updated Sep 25, 2009

Pansies

Favorite thing: It was themed, as Floriade always is. It had all the usual tent attractions, such as organic soaps, foodstuffs etc.; such as gardening stuff, such as alpaca clothing, roasted nuts and natural fragrance candles.
    It also had entertainment. Indeed, that was an aspect that was bound to increase.

Fondest memory: Some said it wasn't as good as the previous year, but someone always says that. For mine, I enjoyed it as I always do. Sure, there are bits and pieces that may not be to one's liking but, when someone goes to the trouble of putting out thousands of flowers, it can't be all bad can it.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

The truth of the matter

by iandsmith Written Aug 29, 2006

Hey, it's springtime

Favorite thing: As mentioned often in my Things To Do pages, checking out the spring blooms is a colourful joy for the gardeners among you. Actually, I'm not into gardening but love the spring blooms anyway.

Fondest memory: Thus it was that I found myself at Acton Park, lakeside, one spring morning and I decided to go for a stroll, prompted in no small measure by the sight of blossoms surrounding the carpark.
    At first I walked across the road and saw the cocky in the tree and, while I was there, I noted across the bridge there were some trees right beneath. How lucky was I that when I arrived a lone paddler drifted past, adding that extra element to the picture (see pic 2).
    Upon my return I found myself watching runners from the Canberra Veterans club going by on a 20 km jog and they were mixed with people simply out rambling (pic 3).
    Turning my attention to detail I went to macro function and got up close and personal with some of the blooms (pics 4 & 5).
    I hope you enjoy viewing them half as much as I enjoyed taking them.

• National/State Park
    • Women's Travel
    • Seniors

More tulips...

by CandS Updated Feb 10, 2006

Favorite thing: This is one of my favourite photos from the Floriade in 2001...there was heaps of space around the flowers so it's very easy to get close up photos without annoying anyone. There are also some stalls and food available at Floriade so you can spend all day there.

Tulips at Floriade 2001

Tulips

Favorite thing: Here are some more pretty tulips from the 2001 Floriade show...

At the end of the flower show I'm told they dig up the bulbs and sell them fairly cheaply to anyone who wants them! Unfortunately I haven't been there at the right time of the year yet...maybe this year?!?

Floriade 2001 tulips

Tulips

Favorite thing: Floriade is held in September/October in Canberra...you will find all sorts of beautiful bulb flowers... It is worth a visit for sure if you're in Canberra at the right time...

Floriade is held in the Commonwealth Park (about five minutes walk from the city centre).

It usually runs from mid September to mid October. Hours are Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm, Weekends 8 am to 6 pm. Entry is free.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Lizard (2)

by Kate-Me Written Mar 7, 2005

Favorite thing: By moving very slowly and carefully, I was able to creep right up to the lizard to get a closer photo.
    He just stared (or glared) at me and allowed me to get to within about a metre of him before he decided to turn tail and run under a little bridge nearby at the edge of the rockery.

In this photo you can see how even more handsome he looks (not all of them had the green on their backs - perhaps it's a distinguishing characteristic between males & females or adults and juveniles)
    This lizard was about 50 cms in length, if I remember correctly.

• Hiking and Walking

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Lizards at the Botanical Gardens (1)

by Kate-Me Written Mar 7, 2005

Water dragon

Favorite thing: This lizard is a Water Dragon, I believe, and we came across the first one quite by accident, sunning itself in the carpark when we arrived.
    As the park was almost closed, and a ranger had told us that there were many more lizards (and bigger ones too) down in the rockery area, we decided to come back the next day, which we did, and found this handsome fellow.

Fondest memory: This is not only my favorite memory of the Canberra National Botanic Gardens, but my favorite memory of all Canberra.

• Fudge's Profile Photo

check out the tulips :)

by Fudge Updated Oct 16, 2002

Tulips to lift your spirit :)

Favorite thing: Well, the floriade was definitely smthg I still remember 7 years later. Never have i seen such a spectacle of flowers.

Fondest memory: There was an indian restaurant we went to at the city centre, near the roundabout (haha, that's a joke, Canberrra has one too many roundabouts!)

Cant remember the name of restaurant but the food was superb!

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo

Take a walk in the ...

by Ronald_T Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing:
    Take a walk in the Commonwealth Park that offers you more then you think. Lots of outdoor activities are organized there like the Floriade (see further), concerts and also the celebrating of New Year Eve. See or sail the Lake Burley Griffin. You will find there also the Captain Cook Memorial Water Jet that is situated in Lake Burley Griffin, which was created in 1964 when the former Molonglo River was dammed. Most of the time this park, which is only minutes away from the city, is a good place for a picnic or take a rug and lay down with a good book under the many trees around. On the picture here you have a good view out the Commonwealth Park over the lake Burley Griffin within the Captain Cook Memorial Water Jet and in the background the Black Mountain and the Telstra Tower (see further).

Floriade 2001...

Floriade 2001

Favorite thing: These flowers are from Floriade in 2001. Basically everywhere you look is covered in flowers (bulbs) and they even make designs and shapes out of the flowers...it's all very well done! :)

• RamSter's Profile Photo

Canberra in Autumn is a truely...

by RamSter Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Canberra in Autumn is a truely beautiful site, i came to figure that canberra wasnt all that bad afterall, i mean it was a very lush area.

• RamSter's Profile Photo

Canberra showcases a vast...

by RamSter Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Canberra showcases a vast amount of Flora and Fauna, and that makes this place a little less depressing :-). This is the Floriade.

• RamSter's Profile Photo

Lake Burley Griffin is a very...

by RamSter Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Lake Burley Griffin is a very pretty lake, and its just on the outskirts of Canberra, its great to walk around and have a picnic here. Wow there are 4 people in this picture..YES PEOPLE! :-)

Instant Answers: Canberra