Cars., Canberra

Know about this? Rate It!

• globetrott's Profile Photo

driving is so easy here

by globetrott Updated Nov 3, 2014

Driving around of Canberra is so easy and relaxed: the streets have lots of sidetracks and the trafic was very low while I was there on an ordinary weekday and you will have no hard time to find a parking-space even in the very centre of town, like next to the old parliamenthouse where my car was the only one on a wide carpark (my 4th Picture ) or Close to the parliament, where I found one of the biggest car-parking-halls that I saw so far worldwide - see my last Picture.

• Motorcycle

• globetrott's Profile Photo

rent a vintage-limousine

by globetrott Written Nov 3, 2014

rent a vintage-limousine

I saw 2 of these cars accidentally, when they were used for a wedding-ceremony in the garden of the Old Parliament House in Canberra. Maybe you will have a special event as well or you simply want to explore Canberra in a very elegant and sophisticated way, so you have some contact-details here in my link below ! My favorite would be the Packard Limousine of 1934 that has a capacity of up to 7 seats.
    Or the Buick of 1934 with a capacity of 4 seats. You will find a lot of more photos of these 2 cars in my travelogues !
    I am quite sure that these cars are available only with a driver.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Prices vary from 550 to 650 AUS$ for 3 hours
    A1 Classical Car Rentals
    34 Shumack St - Weetangera ACT 2614 (That is a suburb of Canberra)
    www.a1cars.net.au

• Museum Visits
    • Photography

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

WINTER DRIVING IN CANBERRA & SURROUNDS

by AusPinay Written Jul 7, 2008

The most common form of getting around the Capital and its surrounds is by private car. Particularly for our family, it is four wheel driving. However, this time, we have changed our gas guzzling Suzuki Grand V6 to a more fuel economical SX4, also a Suzuki.

There are several rules regarding four wheel driving and driving in general around Australia.

Specially if you are driving from Canberra to the snowfields, one must drive very cautiously and ensure their car can handle slippery and rough terrain. Around Canberra is definitely smooth driving, but to the surrounding bushlands and mountains, it is a different story.

In winter too, as there is a high incidence of four wheel drive vehicle accidents, the RTA (Roads and Traffic Authority) now recommends all vehicles carry snow chains from June to OCtober, especially if drivers have little or no experience driving in snow conditions.

While 4X4 are exempt from fitting chains under the present laws, this may change in the future. So, when in doubt, just inquire with your local RTA.

As with any driving, common sense must be used, no speeding or overtaking especially on double lines, curves, crests, etc.
    Being alert for road signs and warnings are also very practical! Sometimes we get caught up in the beauty of the sights we passed by that we momentarily forget the rules, so be careful!

Drive cautiously especially in winter!
    • Adventure Travel

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Drive from Sydney or Melbourne

by ATXtraveler Written Mar 8, 2008

In our case for this trip, we were living in Melbourne at the time. We regularly checked the schedules for Qantas red-tail specials, and we could never find one that suited our schedule, so we decided to just drive instead. This also was more economic, as we could stop along the way and also enjoy the Victorian countryside a bit. Canberra is roughly 650km from Melbourne, and 300 or so from Sydney. It took us a solid 8-9 hours of driving, however the whole trip took almost the entire day, because we stopped in a lot of little towns on the way home.

If you have a car in Australia, do consider driving to Canberra!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Best Taxi in Canberra

by ATXtraveler Written Jul 28, 2007

It is always good to know about a connection you may have in a city you are travelling in the future. One of our own VTers, Bungalow Bill (bungalow_bill49504) is a proud taxi driver in Canberra. He will be able to show you the sites, and get you where you need to go in a timely matter.

I met Stephen in Melbourne at the "Big" Australian meet last year, and he was a very engaging and conversational chap. I always promote business to people I consider friends, so please contact him when planning a trip to Canberra.

For Privacy sake, I will not publish his personal numbers, but contact him through VT!

Stephen aka Bungalow Bill
    • Business Travel

• amyhenderson's Profile Photo

A car is almost essential in Canberra

by amyhenderson Written Feb 18, 2005

Key points of interest in Canberra include Parliament House, Lake Burley Griffen, Australian Institute of Sport, Australian National Art Gallery. All of these are not located next to each other or even within walking distance. If you didn't drive to Canberra, RENT A CAR!

This will give you the freedom to take a drive around all of Canberra, including the highlights mentioned above as well as, perhaps, the trendy suburbs of Kingston & Manuka and the surrounding mountains that offer some great views over the Canberra region as well as some fabulous walking tracks... or for the more adventurous, mountain-bike riding, dirt bikes. You might even spot some pro athletes doing altitude training!

• unravelau's Profile Photo

The older buildings may not have changed much

by unravelau Written Jun 1, 2003

But the transportation definitely has. In 1968, this was one type of car that would take you around the streets of Canberra.

Canberra then was very neat, orchestrated and in my opinion quite sterile................lacking much personality. I am told now that it is still neat and well ordered but has found its soul. I will visit again soon to do the comparisons for myself.

A Zephyr?   Canberra's War Memorial

• CandS's Profile Photo

Getting around...

by CandS Updated Mar 5, 2003

Actually getting around in Canberra can be hard if you don't know the roads.

I have been caught on the strange roads which seem to go forever with no exits...haha! But it's nice to see some of the sights while you're 'lost'...and the roads are always perfect there so they are great to drive on... :)

• Business Travel

• Gnome's Profile Photo

It is about two and a half...

by Gnome Written Aug 24, 2002

It is about two and a half hours from Sydney by road on a reasonably scenic expressway.
    Driving is best, but Canberra also has an extensive cycleway network thoughout most of the city and surrounding areas.

• RamSter's Profile Photo

Well if you could ,go by car,...

by RamSter Written Sep 12, 2002

Well if you could ,go by car, its some 270km south west of Sydney. Takes some hours, but the views when you approach Canberra are really lovely.

Instant Answers: Canberra