Alice Springs Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Alice Springs

Pide and Kebabs: Such Good Falafel You'll Order it Twice

by leon.partsi Written Sep 14, 2011

Fresh Made Hot Kebabs

Located inside the Todd Street Mall, next two two other food stalls which aren't anywhere near as good, Pide and Kebabs have friendly owners who obviously take a great deal of care with their kebabs.

I was reminded several times by a concerned staff member that the falafel I had ordered did not contain any meat - I believe the concept of a vegetarian diet is slightly unusual for them :)

I feared for the worst after that glowing review, but honestly it was one of the better kebabs I've tasted in Australia. This simple fast food place is on par with plenty of more expensive restaurants in the Melbourne and Sydney area.

Give it a go for a quick, fresh, cheap, but not spectacular fill-me-up.

Favorite Dish: Falafel kebabs. So very, very oily. Delicious.

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo

Sporties Cafe and Restaurant: Eat, Drink and Be Merry!

by leon.partsi Written Sep 14, 2011

Front Entrance

TV's blazing the Finke River Rally. Motorbikes standing idle in the corners. A big, bright bar with plenty on tap. $10 Quesadillas.

Oh, I must be in Sporties. Located right on Main street next to Adelaide House, Sporties provides the locals with a simple convenient place to get some pub grub and a cheap lager.

Favorite Dish: Quesadillas - served with fries (as is everything on the menu) and cooked into oblivion. Perfect hangover food.

Red Ochre Grill: Hearty Food in the CBD

by leon.partsi Written Sep 13, 2011

Tapas and Wine Deal for 2

A pleasant restaurant right on the main mall strip with a great outdoors area cascaded by living red/green plants on the ceiling. I've got a photo to show you what I mean.

This place is winning awards - the food needs to be seen to be believed.

Favorite Dish: Tapas and Wine Deal - $47 for 2.

More than any 3 people could eat. And such flavoursome dips! Avocado, Olives and Capsicum all with lots of pita bread and dipping loafs... delicious. I have less than no clue about wine, but I do prefer white wines - the waitress took that and came up with a good combination to the flavours in our tapas.

Well done. Seriously.

• Luxury Travel

Overlanders Steak House: Carnivore's Delight

by leon.partsi Written Sep 13, 2011

Spinach and Ricotta Cheese Crepes

The atmosphere at Overlanders Grill is full of warm and inviting wooden tones - skins of animals available for consumption (plus a few others) are hanging from the walls and as you enter you are asked what nationality you are so that they can place a cute minature of your national's flag on the table.

That makes for some great people watching as you can see at a glance how diverse Australia is even at this section of the outback.

The food is oriented towards meateaters, so my friends had a lot more fun than I did, but there was an extremely tasty spinach and ricotta crepe which filled me up beautifully. I almost turned back to meat after seeing my friend's meals come out: huge steaks as big as you can eat them. Sausages cooked with perfect fluffy mashed potatoes. Bacon and Steaks with corn, mushroom sauce and garlic bread. Oh... mouth-watering.

Favorite Dish: my friend ordered the drover's blowout, which is their signature meal.
    First they bought him a soup of the day. Then tastings of crocodile, emu, camel and kangaroo. Then a HUGE steak cooked medium rare as a main. This thing was at least 400 grams.

Then, as if he wasn't full, they asked him if he was ready for Apple Pie or a nice Pavlova for dessert. My friend declined.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Red Ochre Grill: Sounds of Starlight Dinner

by AlbuqRay Updated Apr 28, 2011

Red Ochre Grill

The dinner that comes with the Sounds of Starlight show is served at the Red Ochre Grill. You get a choice among three main dishes and a dessert. The night that we were there the choices were baked NT barramundi, dukkah rubbed kangaroo fillet, or a spinach and ricotta ravoli. The dessert was the Red Ochre wattleseed pavlova (a whipped cream and berry compote). The service was good, the presentation nice and the food tasty, but the serving size of the main dish was tiny! This was disappointing after paying 69 AUD for the dinner and show (including the group discount). My recommendation would be to skip dinner at the Red Ochre Grill, eat somewhere else, and then go to the excellent show.

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Bojangles Saloon & Restaurant: Bojangles Saloon & Restaurant

by ValbyDK Updated Apr 4, 2011

When in Alice Springs you must drop by Bojangles for a drink or a bite to eat. Absolutely great food and a great atmosphere!

Casual dress is a must! Free peanuts (in their shells) are available from the bar, so peanut shells are all over the floor…

At night, there is music and live broadcast on the internet. Go check their website...

Favorite Dish: We got the 'Bo’s Outback Mixed Grill', which is a combination of buffalo medallions, camel kebab, kangaroo fillet and crocodile rissoles. Really good, and something you don't taste every day in Europe...

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Hungry Jack's: Aussie Outback Burger In The Outback

by xuessium Updated Apr 4, 2011

AussieBurger(Extractedfromwebsite)

Hungry Jack's is a franchise of the international Burger King Corporation and has operated in Australia since 1971.

What the heck am I listing a fastfood restaurant as a restaurant tip? Afterall, Hungry Jack's can be found throughout Australia and the mother company, Burger King is everywhere else throughout the modern world. So why?

I like the Aussie Burger of Hungry Jack's. I am NOT a big fan of fast food (sorry, to me, that's NOT real food) - but for some weird reason, I really love the Aussie (Outback) Burger.

Beef pattie, rings of onion, slices of red beetroot, tomatoes, cheese, bacon, egg and lettuces all squeezed between 2 pieces of buns. Now, that's a meal by itself!

I rewarded myself after my long bus journey from Yulara to The Alice by going straight to a Hungry Jack's (which was about 5 minutes walk away from my Inn/Hostel) and treated myself to an Aussie Burger Meal (A$6 in 2003).

What better to celebrate being in the Outback by eating a so-claimed Aussie (Outback) Burger?

Of course, this is just me (or the Aussie Burger) talking. (grin)

Favorite Dish: The Aussie Burger!

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Bojangles Saloon: It might as well be Walkabout Creek, Mate

by 850prc Updated Apr 4, 2011

....but Walkabout Creek doesn't have a webcam...

Remember that saloon in "Crocodile Dundee I and II"? Walkabout Creek. It's where Mick Dundee and his mates went to blow off steam and engage in frontier rowdiness.

The Bojangles Saloon on Todd Street is perhaps a bit more civilized. But, there's a frontier edge to the joint that one perceives as you walk through the swinging saloon doors. But, don't expect a fight scene to erupt on a regular basis, as they expect the customers to behave. If you've visited my Alice Springs "Warning/Danger" tips, you might have seen the "Neat Casual Dress or Bugger Orf" sign photo. It was taken at Bojangles Saloon in Alice Springs.

Favorite Dish: Well, everything looks pretty good. They've got burgers, chops, steaks, chicken and all sorts of bush goodies such as Kangaroo, etc. Lots and lots of cold beer on tap, and various stronger liquids are available.

One little warning...... Bojangles Restaurant supposedly has a live web cam broadcast going on during licensed hours. So, if you think you can get away with making an arse of yourself with anonymity since you're 12,000 km from home, think again. Your parents (or kids) could be spying on you via the world wide web. So, behave..... or bugger orf. : ) To view the updated webcam vision, see the URL below. Also, you can send an email song request. I wonder if they'd play "Tricky, Tricky, so Damned Pretty" by Lou Bega??

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

421 Bar Bistro: Excellent Food at Reasonable Prices

by AlbuqRay Updated Mar 7, 2011

Front Door of the Gap View Hotel

The 421 Bar Bistro is in the back of the Gap View Hotel. It was recommended by Karen and Steve, owners of the adjacent Alice Springs Airport Motel. The 421 Bar Bistro has delicious food at very reasonable prices for the Alice Springs area. There are daily specials on the chalk board. Once the VT group found out about it, we all ate there several times. The bistro includes both indoor and outdoor dining areas, and a large screen TV. There are also karaoke nights on Sunday and Thursday.

Please note that there is one downside to the Gap View Hotel. It also includes a drive-through Bottle Shop that attracts a rough-looking crowd. They don't come into the hotel or its grounds, but I would not recommend walking around outside the fence at night.

Favorite Dish: The roast of the day is 10 AUD on Sunday (usual price is 16 AUD). It is a best buy and includes slices of roast beef, gravy, roasted potatoes, cooked vegetables and a roll. One favorite dish among the VT group was the lamb shanks. It had two huge lamb shanks with a nice sauce, rice, salad and roll. Another favorite was the roast kangaroo with sweet potatoes, salad and roll. Other dishes that I tried were the chicken-bacon pasta special (12.50 AUD), the spicy Moroccan chicken special (12.50 AUD), and the sticky date pudding (7.50 AUD).

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Red Ochre Restaruant: Good fusion food

by stevemt Updated Aug 24, 2010

This restaurant is in the Todd Mall of Alice Springs

It is the restaurant used for the dinner and show for "the Didgeridoo Show Outback"

Portions are small, and I found part of the food was under cooked

• dgines's Profile Photo

Red Ochre Grill: Creative Native Australian Cuisine

by dgines Written May 31, 2010

If you want to get a taste for local cuisine head to the Red Ochre Grill.

For a bit of everything try the Bushman's Lunch (Lunch) or Aussie Game Medley (Dinner)

Favorite Dish: Aussie game medley
    - Dukkah kangaroo with pumpkin & wattleseed bake
    - Roasted camel with baked seasonal vegetables
    - Pan fried NT barramundi with cucumber sundried tomato & chilli salsa
    - Gumnut smoked emu with salad & beetroot relish
    AUD $40

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Overlander Steakhouse: Carnivors Paradise

by Myndo Written May 9, 2006

Menue Card Overlander Steakhouse

The Menue offers such exotic meat as Crocodile, Camel, Cangaroo, Emu, but also Barramundi and Beef.

I found the Meat here well cooked and the Beer ok.
    It is the place for you, if you like steak houses - this is just one, exotic meat, or not.

Favorite Dish: Kangaroo mignon and filet is very good,
    the Crocodile tends to be fat sometimes.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Red Rooster: Roast Rooster In The Outback

by xuessium Updated Nov 26, 2005

QuarterChickenMeal(Extractedfromwebsite)

Another fast food restaurant. Ate it because I wanted to save money...and the fact that it was right across my Inn/Hostel.

A little history about the chain first: Red Rooster began when the Kailis family opened the Kelmscott restaurant in Western Australia in 1972. Since May 2002, Red Rooster has been part of the Perth based Australian Fast Foods Group, and today, it is Australia's largest oven roasted chicken operator.

While the meal itself (about A$5+ in 2003) was reasonably tasty (though I had to wait a long time to get my meal - there wasn't enough staff to handle the busy evening customer traffic), it wasn't really substantial enough....leaving me a little hungry for more. And yet simultaneously, it gave me a queasy feeling. Must be all that oil/grease. Left the place a little unsatisfied and a little ill. Eventually found a gas station selling (thank goodness!) tea and gulped it down to wash away the uncomfortable feeling.

Favorite Dish: I had the quarter chicken meal. Oily.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

The Red Dog Cafe: You CAN beet the burgers !

by 850prc Updated Aug 11, 2005

All day breakfast, and all sorts of other stuff...

As mentioned in my general Aussie tips, the land downunder produces a tasty hamburger sandwich. Thick and juicy, cooked to perfection and delivered with a plate of hot fries (or as the Aussie would say, chips, mate...), the meal on a bun thrives and pleases in Australia.

And, like everywhere else in Australia, a big burger usually would include a great big sugar beet as dressing. I have to admit that I'd never considered beets as a possibility on my hamburger, but...... I kind of like it. Consider me converted. I've even made the run to the local store to get a couple of bottles of beets for burgers around my house.

The Red Dog Cafe is a typical Todd Street eatery in Alice Springs. Philosophically, it's somewhere between a saloon and a Burger King restaurant, they have an interesting array of Outback Tucker to feed your tapeworm. I didn't see a lot of veggie treats, so if you love a vegetarian dearly, you might want to swing by a market for some salad fixin's.

Besides burgers, they had all sorts of cut sandwiches (what we'd call deli sandwiches), hot dogs, Aussie meat pies and a nice selection of tempting ice creams, frozen floats and milkshakes.

For us, cold beer was the perfect and satisfying drink for this dry dusty climate. And yes, I let my 16 year old daughter enjoy a sip or two from my frosty mug, in exchange for a hit of her vanilla shake.

If you're into a big more "exotic" taste, the Red Dog serves Kangaroo and Camel meat, too. I didn't see any actual "red dog" on the menu, but then again, I didn't ask.

Favorite Dish: Well, I had a big fat Aussie hamburger and chips. And it was fair-dinkum fine in my book.

Wish I hadn't been so good to stick to a reasonable diet because the ice cream floats looked terrific, as did the milkshakes. But, I had a trip to Orlando coming up, and the prospect of appearing in public in my swim trunks in Central Florida upon my return to the US kept me honest at the lunch counter.

Apparently THE most popular item at the Red Dog is the one advertised in the photo below....the all day breakfast meal which is a typical Aussie baked beans, sausages, tomatoes and bacon dish. It's a big hit with the starving backpacker battalions that are coming and going from the Alice area.

• Overlanders Steakhouse: Eat everything you've been taking pictures of!

by Lildeer Updated Mar 2, 2005

A rustic Outback restaurant catering to travelers eager to taste everything they've been photographing! Also, you're not in Australia until you order a beer (there's a coupon for a free coldie on the website under "Tell em I sent ya".)

Favorite Dish: Try the all you can eat "Drover's Blowout", an Aussie sampler of emu, crocodile, camel, barramundi, kangaroo, and beef. Also the famous Australian dessert - Pavlova - is not to be missed.

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Alice Springs

Comments

Alice Springs Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Alice Springs restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alice Springs sightseeing.

View all Alice Springs hotels