Alice Springs Tourist Traps

• Bliss...a mobile phone and the newspaper!
    Bliss...a mobile phone and the...
    by wise23girl

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Alice Springs

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Newspapers not available in the morning.

by wise23girl Updated Sep 23, 2011

Bliss...a mobile phone and the newspaper!

Well if you are like wisedancer you are like a bear with a sore head without your morning newspaper. You search for a papershop even walk to town if need be to discover "This is the Northern Territory mate...The Australian comes at 5pm"

And that is reasonable considering where we are...right in the middle of Australia...The Red Centre.

Unique Suggestions: Save yesterday's paper to read today might help...a big change of habit but it can be done!

And have a morning coffee while you read yesterday's news

• Please don't climb Uluru

by warp_d Written Feb 9, 2006

By all means go and see this magnificent rock, especially at sunrise or sunset when you will get to see some beautiful changes in colour (there's a road that goes around it).
    It is a sacred site though.....
    My parents made me climb it (I hate heights!!). I had never had a nose bleed in my life, and guess what happened at the top. OK, so it could have been the altitude. However, my nose continued to bleed off and on for the rest of the trip round the Red Centre, and only stopped when we crossed the border to SA (can't blame the heat, cos boy is Coober Pedy hot!). Needless to say, never had a nose bleed since!!!

Unique Suggestions: If you must climb it.....go early, like just before sunrise. If you time it right, it'll start to get hot as you're coming back down.

Also seek out a good ranger.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Expensive Food

by Kate-Me Updated Apr 9, 2003

From everything I've heard lately (my aunt is a Coach Hostess travelling constantly through the outback), the food at Yulara Resort/Ayers Rock is very expensive, to the extent that my aunt prefers to go to the supermarket (also expensive) and buy packet soup rather than face the high prices of food at the resort.
    If you're not prepared, you could get a shock.

When I was there several years ago, even an Aussie BBQ was out of my price range (about A$16 just for a couple of sausages and maybe a hamburger!)

Fun Alternatives: Bring your own snacks and if possible food with you from your last major stop (probably Alice Springs if North, Coober Pedy if you're coming from the South)

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Expensive Accommodation

by Kate-Me Written Apr 9, 2003

When I was at Ayers Rock over 10 years ago, the accommodation was very expensive then, so I hate to think how much it has increased by now.

There was no way I could afford to stay at the resort, so I headed for the campground, which is much closer to the rock.

Here I found myself a camp spot, but I had to pay about 5 times the normal price for it!

Fun Alternatives: (in hindsight I should have gone back to the Resort and paid a high price for a room that would at least have had facilities, and the on-site pool, whereas for the tent site, I got nothing for the money, not even power connected)

• Camping

Instant Answers: Alice Springs

Comments

Alice Springs Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Alice Springs tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alice Springs sightseeing.

View all Alice Springs hotels