Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Transportation

Uluru Express Shuttle
    by Gillybob
    Let the traditional owners benefit
    by adlf
    Turn left at that spinifex bush up there
    by adlf

Most Recent Transportation in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)

• Hewer's Profile Photo

Born to be Wild!

by Hewer Updated Apr 4, 2011

One less conventional way of travelling around is by motorcycle. The view you get is simply breathtaking. Having the benefit of 360 degree vision somehow makes an amazing difference. The cool breeze counteracts the heat just nicely too. I had entered the National Park some 500 times before first going in on a bike during the time that I lived there, and it was like the first time all over again.

There are a couple ways to do it.

1. You could buy a motorcycle in one of the big cities (Adelaide, Melbourne) and ride it up. This is obviously a bit time-consuming.
    2. You can also hire a motorcycle (Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail) when you get there. There is motorcycle rental company at Ayers Rock Resort.

Uluru Harley
    • Motorcycle
    • Desert

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Uluru Express

by Gillybob Written Aug 1, 2010

This shuttle service is the ideal way for those guests at the Ayers Rock Resort without their own transportation to get around the park and to Uluru and Kata Tjuta.

A variety of ticketing options are available to make the best use of their services during your stay within the Ayers Rock Resort.

Uluru Express Shuttle

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo

Outback Australia

by Mr.Sparkle Written Nov 1, 2009

This is a great website for people traveling by car. excelent tips and advice and even a free e-book to help you plan.

• adlf's Profile Photo

Take your pick

by adlf Updated Jun 14, 2008

If you want to hire a car they are available. . The tours can be expensive so for those who want to go to lots of sites and often, the car is a cheaper alternative.
    Theres not the abundance of street signs and directions you're probably used to.So factor that and the the rental costs and fuel costs in , then make a choice.
    Unless you're sure of where and how you want to sightsee, or you have a specific need to have a car, you're better off let someone else drive
    My opinion is the best way to get around is simply to join a tour. They know where they are going and the commentary is great. I hate reading all those info things. I'd much rather sit back , relax, take me there and tell me all about it.

Out of respect for the owners of this land, we used Anangu tours as our first choice.They deserve to benefit from the tourism and they have more local knowledge for sure.

Turn left at that spinifex bush up there Let the traditional owners benefit Um, which one?
    • Desert

• Assenczo's Profile Photo

Renting a car is inevitable

by Assenczo Written Sep 4, 2007

Renting a car when at the Rock is the only chance to enjoy the scenery to the fullest. It gives you the flexibility to visit with the bus hordes at dawn without them at sunset and avoid them altogether if you opt for an off-beat visit. Moreover, part of the park is the Olgas and this means that you do not have to stuff everything in one day in order to fit into a “tour”. If you decide to save same serious money by going to Curtin Springs for a sleep, the car comes more than handy since this cattle station is 100km away from the Rock itself.

• pacific_sol's Profile Photo

Save money and take Uluru Express into the park

by pacific_sol Written Jul 23, 2007

My friend and I, budget travelers that we are, opted to just take the Uluru Express Shuttle into Uluru/Kata Tjuta National Park instead of going with a guided tour group. Compared to the huge air conditioned tour buses, their shuttles are meager Toyota Hi-Ace vans, but they were also air conditioned and were comfortable enough for the drives out to the monoliths.

Our shuttle drivers were very friendly and were extremely knowledgeable about Uluru, Kata Tjuta, and the local Aboriginal culture, so I think we probably learned even more than if we had taken one of the big tours, since we were able to ask our drivers a lot of questions, which I don't think we would have been able to do on the big tour groups.

They have several trip options, and we opted for the drive out to Kata Tjuta and Uluru for sunset viewing, and we also purchased the Uluru at sunrise trip. For the sunrise viewing of Uluru, they also provide hot coffee and cocoa, as well as a yummy assortment of Arnott's biscuits.

In addition to paying for the Uluru Express shuttle, you also have to purchase a Uluru/Kata Tjuta National Park park use ticket that is good for three days. The shuttle will stop by the entrance to the park so that you can purchase tickets on your first trip into the park, and you will need to hold on to the ticket for any subsequent visits during the three days that the ticket is valid. When we went in September 2006, the park entrance fee was $25 AUD.

The U.E. shuttle at the Uluru sunset viewing area

• QANTAS

by ninfamk Written Dec 12, 2006

If you have 3 days to spend at Uluru fly directly to Ayers Rock airport. But be careful! Qantas is the only carrier flying directly to Ayers Rock and it is expensive! We paid a ridicolous price from Sydney to Ayers Rock and we were astonished to find out that you only have a sneak on the 3 1.2 hours flight. I had the bread out of a Chicken focaccia and was asked to pay $8AUD for white wine to go with it! Enough to say I had a coke instead...

• saw50st8's Profile Photo

Driving on the Left

by saw50st8 Written Sep 14, 2006

Definitely the best way to fully experience the outback is to drive around trhough it. You get a unique sense of the landscape and animals. They drive on the left side of the road which does take some getting use to. However, since the driver is sitting on the right side ofthe car, it seems almost natural. Our biggest problem was turning on the windshield wipers instead of signalling.

Its easy to drive in the outback, especially because there are so few people on the roads. Even if you were on the wrong side, there woudlnt be anyone there anyway.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Camping safari to Uluru from Alice Springs

by travelmad478 Written Aug 6, 2006

We took a camping safari to Uluru, Kata Tjuta, and Kings Canyon with Wayoutback. Although the company's website claims to specialize in "off the beaten path" trips, our trip had exactly the same itinerary as every other tour operator (from backpackers to luxury buses), stopping at every place that everyone else did. Our trip had 9 clients stuffed into the back of a Toyota Land Cruiser. This was somewhat cramped, but in the end I was very glad to be in a small vehicle just because it would have driven me insane to try to hike with a group of 25 people. For that reason alone, I'm glad we paid up to go with this company. However, neither their accommodations (swags that were full of sand and sheets that didn't seem to have been washed in years) nor their food (rather stingy portions, dull/cheap selections, and exceedingly lame cooking by our guide) were in keeping with the somewhat upmarket price of the trip. There were a lot of complaints from our fellow campers about these things, and also the fact that three days is just not enough time to drive to all these places and spend enough time relaxing and enjoying them. Still, the hiking was great and I'm glad we did it.

If I had to do this trip again, I'd rent a campervan from Britz (as we did to see Litchfield and Kakadu) rather than bothering with the group tour. We could have easily done this trip ourselves. I'm annoyed that I didn't think of that beforehand.

Keith with our Land Cruiser and guide at Uluru

• Free bus to/from Ayres Rock Airport

by yankinwaoz Written Apr 21, 2006

The Ayres Rock Resort has a free shuttle bus from the airport to the resort. I flew in to the Ayres Rock airport with my camping gear and was dropped off in front of the campgound by the bus. Nice of them to do that!

• Camp N' Drive

by yankinwaoz Written Apr 21, 2006

I just returned from Uluru. Flew in and camped for 3 days. While there I noticed some other campers had Ford station wagons from "Alice Camp 'n' Drive". I talked to them about what it was and I really wish I had known about them. I will use them next time. The campers I spoke to were very happy with them.

They are a small company in Alice Springs run by two guys. They rent you a station wagon with all the camping gear packed in. All you need to do is buy the food and fuel and head off to explore Uluri and King's Canyon. They told me that the company has a fleet of about 6 wagons.

What the camper's I spoke to liked was that is only cost about $125 a day and they don't have the 7 day minimum like the RV camper companies have. They also liked the fact that the wagons got much better mileage. You can sleep in the back of the wagon.

The wagons aren't brand new. But they seemed in excellent shape. I was very impressed. They seem to have hit upon the perfect solution for people like me who are on a tight budget and have to fly in Alice Springs or Uluru to visit.

• Camping

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Yulara Domestic Airport

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 2, 2006

Most travel purists would probably tell me that I am taking the easy way out flying directly to this landmark, but what the heck.... I turned a 6 day boring excursion through the middle of the desert to a 6 hour round trip on a plane!

Yulara Airport is located just miles away from Uluru, and offers the flexibility of enjoying a view of Uluru from the air before you land. With this kind of luck, you do not need to spend money on a private helicopter or jet flight over Uluru!

Since you would most likely have to fly into Alice Springs and drive 5 hours, then I would say just pay a little extra and enjoy the flight into Yulara direct!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Uluru on the Cheap - Free Resort Shuttle

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 2, 2006

If you are trying to save cost on the trip to Uluru, please factor in that if you are staying at the resort in Yulara, you will be able to receive free transportation to and from the airport, as well as free transportation around the resort itself.

The resort is laid out in a big circle, so you are welcome to walk across the bush to get between locations, but there is really no reason with a shuttle coming every 10 minutes or so. There is only one shuttle that circles the resort, so you do have to wait on the other passengers, but this is well worth it when the heat gets turned up there in Uluru!

As for the rides to and from the plane... don't worry, they are there for all 5 flights into the airport each day, and leave the resort 90 minutes before each flight's departure. Make sure you get it while you can!

Free Hotel Shuttle

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

See more with a car

by Restless-in-kl Written Feb 24, 2006

My adventure started quite a long way from home :
    - Kuala Lumpur fly to Darwin
    - Darwin fly to Alice Springs
    - Rent car and drive to Ayers Rock
    - Drive to Kings Canyon
    - Drive back to Alice Springs
    - Drop car and fly back to Darwin
    - Pick up another car in Darwin

But that's another adventure in the Northern Territory (coming soon!). Really the best way to see Australia is by car. All you need is full tank of petrol, loads of drinking water, sense of adventure and plenty of time as it's a big, big country!

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Greyhound bus from Yulara to Alice Springs

by xuessium Updated Aug 27, 2005

The Greyhound/McCafferty buses come into Ayers Rock Resort and pick up folks who wish to travel to Alice Springs from Yulara. (I think there are 2 or 3 such buses a day) Mine picked me up outside the Pioneer Lodge. The journey takes about 5-6 hours with a change of buses mid-way through at this lonely stretch in the middle of nowhere (very surreal). I grabbed the 12.30pm bus and I reached Alice Springs at about 6pm. Along the way, I was treated to scenes of the vast emptiness of the Australian desert (red-orange as far as you can see) and possibly one of the most beautiful sunset I have ever had the fortune to enjoy as the day slowly died away, setting the sky and clouds on fire. I sat in stupor as I watched the ambers slowly fickled away and finally darkness came to claim victory. It was a very beautiful way to end the day after my 31st birthday.

The bus journey cost me A$74 (circa 2003).

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)

Comments

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Transportation

Reviews and photos of Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) sightseeing.

View all Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) hotels