Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Transportation

Uluru Express Shuttle
    by Gillybob
    Let the traditional owners benefit
    by adlf
    Turn left at that spinifex bush up there
    by adlf

Best Rated Transportation in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

ULURU EXPRESS

by BerniShand Written Jan 26, 2005

uluru

as the resort is some distance away from Uluru you will need some form of transport, we used Uluru Express, not only were they the cheapest option but they were the most flexible, as we didnt want a `guided tour`

the shuttle picks you up at your hotel and takes you to Uluru leaving you free to walk and explore at your leisure, they operate from sunrise to sunset

they also operate a service to Kata Tjuta [ the Olgas ] or you can combine both sites

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo

Outback Australia

by Mr.Sparkle Written Nov 1, 2009

This is a great website for people traveling by car. excelent tips and advice and even a free e-book to help you plan.

• adlf's Profile Photo

Take your pick

by adlf Updated Jun 14, 2008
    Turn left at that spinifex bush up there

If you want to hire a car they are available. . The tours can be expensive so for those who want to go to lots of sites and often, the car is a cheaper alternative.
    Theres not the abundance of street signs and directions you're probably used to.So factor that and the the rental costs and fuel costs in , then make a choice.
    Unless you're sure of where and how you want to sightsee, or you have a specific need to have a car, you're better off let someone else drive
    My opinion is the best way to get around is simply to join a tour. They know where they are going and the commentary is great. I hate reading all those info things. I'd much rather sit back , relax, take me there and tell me all about it.

Out of respect for the owners of this land, we used Anangu tours as our first choice.They deserve to benefit from the tourism and they have more local knowledge for sure.

• Desert

• saw50st8's Profile Photo

Driving on the Left

by saw50st8 Written Sep 14, 2006

Definitely the best way to fully experience the outback is to drive around trhough it. You get a unique sense of the landscape and animals. They drive on the left side of the road which does take some getting use to. However, since the driver is sitting on the right side ofthe car, it seems almost natural. Our biggest problem was turning on the windshield wipers instead of signalling.

Its easy to drive in the outback, especially because there are so few people on the roads. Even if you were on the wrong side, there woudlnt be anyone there anyway.

• QANTAS

by ninfamk Written Dec 12, 2006

If you have 3 days to spend at Uluru fly directly to Ayers Rock airport. But be careful! Qantas is the only carrier flying directly to Ayers Rock and it is expensive! We paid a ridicolous price from Sydney to Ayers Rock and we were astonished to find out that you only have a sneak on the 3 1.2 hours flight. I had the bread out of a Chicken focaccia and was asked to pay $8AUD for white wine to go with it! Enough to say I had a coke instead...

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

See more with a car

by Restless-in-kl Written Feb 24, 2006

My adventure started quite a long way from home :
    - Kuala Lumpur fly to Darwin
    - Darwin fly to Alice Springs
    - Rent car and drive to Ayers Rock
    - Drive to Kings Canyon
    - Drive back to Alice Springs
    - Drop car and fly back to Darwin
    - Pick up another car in Darwin

But that's another adventure in the Northern Territory (coming soon!). Really the best way to see Australia is by car. All you need is full tank of petrol, loads of drinking water, sense of adventure and plenty of time as it's a big, big country!

• Hiking and Walking

• Camp N' Drive

by yankinwaoz Written Apr 21, 2006

I just returned from Uluru. Flew in and camped for 3 days. While there I noticed some other campers had Ford station wagons from "Alice Camp 'n' Drive". I talked to them about what it was and I really wish I had known about them. I will use them next time. The campers I spoke to were very happy with them.

They are a small company in Alice Springs run by two guys. They rent you a station wagon with all the camping gear packed in. All you need to do is buy the food and fuel and head off to explore Uluri and King's Canyon. They told me that the company has a fleet of about 6 wagons.

What the camper's I spoke to liked was that is only cost about $125 a day and they don't have the 7 day minimum like the RV camper companies have. They also liked the fact that the wagons got much better mileage. You can sleep in the back of the wagon.

The wagons aren't brand new. But they seemed in excellent shape. I was very impressed. They seem to have hit upon the perfect solution for people like me who are on a tight budget and have to fly in Alice Springs or Uluru to visit.

• Camping

• Seriously consider "Uluru Express"

by lostdesi Written Apr 14, 2005

Just to add to previous comments about Uluru Express, I found that they were the cheapest and most flexible way to get around if you don't bring your own car. I also took some guided tours of Uluru and the Olgas, and found these tours overpriced -- if I had just taken Uluru Express shuttles everywhere on my own, I would probably have attained close to the same benefit as I got with the guided tours.

• trekaroundsue's Profile Photo

Adventure Tours Australia

by trekaroundsue Written May 26, 2005
    The Group at Kings Canyon

I saw Uluru by taking Northern Territory tour called the 3 day Uluru Safari. The first day we visited Kata Tjuta (the Olgas). The second day we went to Uluru and the third day we went to see Kings Canyon. At night we slept in camp grounds, where we had the option of sleeping in a tent or in a swag. I slept in a swag which I recommend. A swag is a large sleeping bag with a mattress inside. You put your sleeping bag inside it and you are all set for the night. There is nothing like sleeping outside with the stars. We heard some animals in the distance, like dingos, but nothing to worry about. My guides for the tour were Rew and Jess. They were great guides, tons of fun, Rew kept us laughing the whole trip.

• Camping
    • Hiking and Walking

• o00o's Profile Photo

Air Plain

by o00o Written Oct 12, 2005

3 hours flight from Perth and Sydney.
    The flight is almost full, must make your flight confirm in advance.

• o00o's Profile Photo

CAr

by o00o Written Oct 12, 2005

Rent a car to move around in Uluru National Park is the best way to save your money and time. Ths cost about A$95 per 24 hours.

Instant Answers: Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)

Comments

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Transportation

Reviews and photos of Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) sightseeing.

View all Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) hotels