What to pack for Australia

SOME SMALL TUBES/PACKS OF NECCESARIES
    A RELIABLE INSECT AND MOSQUITO REPELLANT

Most Viewed What to Pack in Australia

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Do I need a sleeping bag?

by ettiewyn Updated Jan 26, 2012

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: WHV HELPLINE

This really depends on what you are planning to do.

Important: In most backpacker hostels, sleeping bags are forbidden! This is because of bedbugs, small bugs that live in matrasses, pillows and sleeping bags and bite your skin. They do not occur often anymore, and this is due to the fact that people don't use sleeping bags, so they don't carry the bugs from hostel to hostel.

If you plan to camp outside - maybe hiring a car and do a camping trip - you need your own sleeping bag, so in this case: Take one.
    If you plan to do a guided tour where camping is involved (f.ex. to Uluru, where you sleep in a swag), you also need a sleeping bag. Most companies offer sleeping bags to hire for about 20AUD, so if you only do a short tour, it might worth it just to hire one so you don't carry one around for months just to use it for a few nights!

To follow the Working Holiday Helpline and read about backpacks, please click >>>HERE

My mini sleeping bag (compared with Guinea pig) Camping in the outback

Backpacker's backpacks? - Part 5

Luggage and bags: WHV HELPLINE

Is there another solution?

I am not sure, but I have recently found what I believe to be the perfect solution to me, and I have seen several travellers on my last trip to Australia who used this: A piece of luggage with wheels that can be converted to a backpack. It is like a backpack with wheels that you can either drag behind you, or carry on your back.
    I have bought one for my trip to the UK and will write more about my experiences when I have tested it during that trip!

So, if you are confronted with the decision which piece of luggage to use, I have listed the advantages and disadvantages here. In the end, I think it is just a personal decision. You should ask yourself: With which kind of luggage do you feel most comfortable? There is no right or wrong, you need to find your personal solution.

This is the end of the Working Holiday Helpline - to return to the beginning, please click >>>HERE

Packing List

Miscellaneous: WHV HELPLINE

As there is not enough space for a list here, I have created a travelogue

To follow the Working Holiday Helpline and read about taking a sleeping bag, please click >>>HERE

All my stuff on trip 2 (2009/10) All my stuff on trip 1 (2006/07)

CV on USB stick

Miscellaneous: WHV HELPLINE

A good idea is to prepare a CV while you are still at home and save it on a USB stick that you bring to Australia. Like this, you already have a prepared CV and only need to modify it and make it suitable to the job you want to apply for.
    Of course there are jobs that don't require a real application, but it might well be that you need one and then it is nice if you already have your CV and can get over quickly with your paperwork.

To follow the Working Holiday Helpline and read about bank accounts, please click >>>HERE

Driving license!

Miscellaneous: WHV HELPLINE

If you are planning a working holiday in Australia, it might well happen that you want to drive a car, no matter if you will be travelling by car or driving because a job requires it.
    Remember that you cannot just use your home driving license - you either need an international driving permit or a certified translation of your licence into English (if you are from a non-English speaking country). Please specify what exactly you need with the foreign office of your own country.
    For more information please also click on the link given below!

To follow the Working Holiday Helpline and read about applications, please click >>>HERE

Want to drive a car?

Backpacker's backpacks? - Part 4

So what about suitcases?

Yes, suitcases have the advantage that you can drag them behind you on flat and smooth ground. And as we have seen in the example of the way from bus stop to hostel, this is indeed a big advantage!
    But: Can you imagine to roll a suitcase through sand if you camp in a national park? Or arriving on a cattle station with a suitcase? Or dragging it up a staircase if you are staying on the fourth floor of a hostel and there is no lift?
    And as said above: You cannot bring suitcases on most guided backpacker tours!

Backpacker's backpacks? - Part 3

Luggage and bags: WHV HELPLINE

What are the advantages of a backpack?

One big advantage is that you can of course carry it on your back. This makes it considerably easier if you walk somewhere where the ground is not flat and smooth - a cattle station or farm, a staircase if your room is on the upper floor and there is no lift, a beach... In situations like these, to carry such a weight on your back is much easier than to carry it in your hand like a suitcase.

Another reason is that if you plan to do extended guided tours offered by companies specialised on budget travellers - for example in Central Australia or at the west coast - tour companies don't like to take suitcases. All the luggage is put in the back of a truck or 4WD bus, and suitcases are not handy for this, in fact, most companies ask you not to bring a suitcase.

To follow the WHV helpline and read more about luggage, pleasce click >>>HERE

Backpacker's backpacks? - Part 2

Luggage and bags: WHV HELPLINE

Disadvantages of a backpack!

I am a not-so-strong and rather small person, so for me it was often very strenuous to carry my huge backpack around, even when in the beginning of both of my trips it only weighed 12kg. You cannot really prevent that it will become heavier and heavier as longer as your trip gets because you will buy souvenirs, clothing that you need or want to have, things that you need but forgot to bring from home... If you walk from a bus station to your hostel, maybe up a hill in forty degrees, you will really curse your backpack!

It can also become quite a hassel to pack and unpack your backpack... I have developed a technique of where to put what so that the process is a bit faster, but anyway: How often did I need something and of course it was right at the bottom of my backpack! Aaaaargh!!!

Backpacker's backpacks? - Part 1

Backpack - intro

Ok, many people very proudly call themselves backpackers. They travel Australia and carry heavy backpacks on their backs. On both of my trips I had a big backpack, too, you can see it in the main picture.

There really are some advantages that are a point for taking a backpack, but I think that we should get the snobbishness out of this discussion and just list the advantages and disadvantages!

I also want to point out that what I have written about this issue are only my personal experience. Of course other travellers might agree or disagree with me. Nevertheless, I hope that I can give some guidance to people who are planning their Working Holiday Trip, because I know that many of them give a lot of thought on the issue of which luggage they should take.

To follow the WHV helpline and read more about luggage, click >>>HERE

My old backpack My old backpack en route to Cape York

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Small backpack with air system!

Luggage and bags: WHV HELPLINE

You need a small backpack that you can take with you if you don't need the big one: For walking and hiking, on guided tours etc.

My personal favourite is one with an air system. This small backpack has a stable net in the back and the backside of the backpack is shaped in the slight curve. Thus, the net lies on your own back, but not the backpack - this allows the air to circulate.
    I had a usual backpack on my first trip, but bought an air system backpack for my second one, and it was really worth the investment. It was so good to not have a hot and sweaty back anymore when hiking in higher temperatures! I recommend such a backpack very much and will never buy a usual one again.

Mine is one of the German brand Deuter, but I think that all the big outdoor brands have them on offer.

My small backpack

• DennyP's Profile Photo

NECCESARY DAILY ITEMS THAT I CARRY WITH ME

by DennyP Written Sep 27, 2011

Luggage and bags: When out and about weather it be in the city or in the country I Always carry my small backpack which carries my camera gear (out of sight) also my neccessary toiletries and essentials that I may need..
    ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH WATER DEPENDING ON THE TEMPERATURE OF THE DAY.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: ALWAYS wear a comfortable pair of shoes/boots as you will be doing a lot of walking ESPECIALLY if you are in one of the many National parks as they are usually in isolated areas.
    I always carry a windjacket in case of weather changes
    A small compact poncho that will cover me and my smallbackpack
    A wide brimmed hat for sun protection
    A pair of reliable sunglasses.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: BE AWARE OF EXTREME TEMPERATURES IN AUSTRALIA ..WHEN OUT AND ABOUT..I CARRY
    (as mentioned before) SUFFICIENT FRESH WATER ,ESPECIALLY IN NATIONAL PARKS AS YOU CAN BE IN VERY ISOLATED AREAS WHERE YOU WILL DRINK A LOT OF WATER
    I carry also a packet of wet ones ..they can be so refreshing and good to wipe down a small injury..
    A small tube of sunscreen
    A small tube of moisturiser
    A tube of lip balm
    A small packet of tissues (in case the roll is empty)
    A couple of band aid strips.
    When heading out to isolated areas like National Parks MAKE SURE that you use toilet facilities before going..You will be pleased you did..

Photo Equipment: I charge my digital camera batteries the night before..nothing worse than a flat battery.
    Also I carry a spare memory card
    An international power point adaptor
    A digital battery charger

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: ALWAYS CARRY A TORCH..I CARRY A SELF CHARGING TYPE..NO BATTERIES

I CARRY THESE NECESSARY TOILETRIES WITH ME CARRY A RELIABLE INSECT AND MOSQUITO REPELLANT DIGITAL BATTERY CHARGER WITH SPARE CAMERA CARD CARRY A COMPACT PONCHO TO COVER ALL ALWAYS HAVE A RELIABLE TORCH WITH YOU
    • Adventure Travel
    • National/State Park

• peachfront's Profile Photo

Pack Light, They'll be checking every pocket

by peachfront Updated Aug 16, 2010

Luggage and bags: You should bring the smallest number of items that you need for your trip. I wore a computer vest, which had all my pockets, plus a purse, plus a computer bag. If you are selected for a search at customs before entering Australia, as I was, you will be glad you packed light, because they will check every pocket and even open pill bottles. It's OK to have ibuprofen (and probably other OTC medicines) -- I asked at immigration before I got to the "search" table -- but they will look to be sure that you really have your medicine in there and not food. Just don't bring any food. At all. Whatsoever. Save yourself a lot of hassle. :-)

Don't worry, they put on disposable gloves to search your items. Otherwise, I think I might have thrown my ibuprofen away after it got opened by a stranger. But they seem to be health conscious -- both for their own safety and for yours.

• Birdwatching
    • National/State Park

Trendy souvenir hat from Australia Zoo

by hopang Updated Apr 5, 2010

Miscellaneous: The photographs on the right depict a superior quality souvenir hat purchased from the popular Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo at Sunshine Coast in the state of Queensland. It certainly is an excellent souvenir to be brought home with you to your country. It costs between A$15.00 and A$20.00 per piece. It is also ideal to give as a present to your friends and relatives at home!

Trendy souvenir hat from Australia Zoo
    • Zoo

Captain Cook Cruises souvenir photograph

by hopang Updated Mar 20, 2010

Miscellaneous: Captain Cook Cruises souvenir programme photograph purchased from the tour operators (Happy Medium Photo Co. of Sussex Street, Sydney) at Sydney Harbour is an excellent souvenir to take home with you to your country. It does not cost you a fortune. It certainly gives you an everlasting memories of the Sydney Harbour you have just visited! This is one souvenir that we cherish and admire very much after visiting Australia! This souvenir programme photograph contains just four pages as depicted in our photographs on the right.

Page 1 of cruise programme Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
    • Cruise
    • Photography

Souvenirs from Australia

by hopang Updated Mar 11, 2010

Miscellaneous: Handpainted returning boomerang with throwing instructions for right handers is an excellent souvenir to take home to your country from Australia - ideal as a decoration in your cupboard. It is also fun to play with on the open field, suitable for both children and adults. It is available in most souvenir shops in large cities. It costs between A$10.00 and A$50.00 depending on its quality and size.

Handpainted Returning Boomerang

250 Reviews - 567 Photos
Broome Hotels
187 Reviews - 425 Photos

Instant Answers: Australia

Comments

Australia What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Australia what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Australia sightseeing.
Map of Australia