Places to eat in Australia

by iandsmith

Most Viewed Restaurants in Australia

Hanuman: Thai food in Darwin

by Arial_27 Updated Jun 1, 2014

There are a number of Thai food places in Darwin; this one was convenient for us because its located on Mitchell street which is one of the main steets in the city and close to where our hostel was located.

Besides Thai food, they also have Indian food, and plenty of options for vegetarians.

It had an authentic feel; bamboo place mats, and nice decor. We ate on the balcony overlooking Mitchell street. Perfect atmosphere for a warm summer night.

• AlanaHaszler's Profile Photo

Magistic Lunch Cruise: Don't miss the Gourmet Buffet Lunch

by AlanaHaszler Updated May 13, 2014

There are times you get stuck in a fix and for a lucky few you come out unscathed. I consider myself lucky that way and would like to share one such incident with you.

I seldom have guests and when I do; my house is a buzzing beehive. It was my cousin’s wedding this time and I was hosting a few family friends who were visiting Sydney for the first time. I considered it my responsibility to show them around so they would leave with wonderful memories about Sydney, other than calling it one of the most expensive places in the world. My husband and I drove them over the famous Harbour Bridge, took them to Opera House and the Sea Life Aquarium.

The day seemed to be going great till we reached the Wharf. I had planned to take them to one of the best restaurants there. Yes! You got me right, I should have booked ahead, and they were full. The kids were getting a little cranky as they did start having rats in their little tummies. Just when I was going to sulk over my over confidence, a banner caught my eye - ‘Magistic Cruises’. Without losing a moment and calling out to God I rushed to their office. We were just in time for their lunch cruise. Though I was a little doubtful about the food, the crowd, the service and the ambience on a cruise, this was my only hope.

I felt a little relieved when I was greeted so warmly onboard by the staff. Keeping my fingers crossed I walked ahead. I was overwhelmed when I saw we had reserved tables even though it was a last minute booking. The picture windows immediately attracted the kids. We got our food to our tables and, trust me when I say it, it was pure gourmet. It was so fresh and well-prepared. Their bar stocked some of the best wine and beer from the country.

We decided to stay back for the 2 hour complimentary sightseeing cruise as everyone was enjoying every bit of it. Gliding past the Opera House and all the prominent places around the harbour, it was a breathtaking experience. As a matter of fact, we got the best view and pictures of Opera House from the cruise than what we clicked during the day.

The only thing that bothered me – I would have saved quite a bit, had I booked online with them. A lesson learnt, and now - shared!

Favorite Dish: Hokkien noodles with garlic & soy
    Fresh prawns with tomato mayonnaise
    Waldorf salad

Fresh prawns
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Cruise

Dolce Vita Gelato: Gelato (and pizza) in Fremantle

by Arial_27 Updated May 6, 2014

My friends and I used to love going here, because at the time you could get a slice of pizza and a gelato dessert for $7. (2011 -2012.) This is a bargain in Australia!

They had a good selection of gelatos - frozen yogurt, sugar free, lots of flavours, etc. Its a nice little place located on the main street of Fremantle.

Favorite Dish: Oreo gelato, of course. The pizza was good too!

Jurien Bay Pizza: Pizzeria north of Perth

by Arial_27 Written May 6, 2014

Jurien Bay would either be a stop on a road trip if you are driving from Perth up to Monkey Mia, or Broome. Or maybe you would stop here to try to famous skydiving on Jurien Bay beach. Either way, I can only really speak of two places to eat in the area and one of them was a pizzeria called "Jurien Bay Pizza."

Its a small business in the heart of town, and from what I remember their pizza was great. Wide selection of toppings available.

Delicious Indian food in Northbridge (Perth): Taj Mahal

by Arial_27 Updated May 5, 2014

Somewhat upper-scale dining experience, B.Y.O.B and located in Perth's night life district. The food is very good and quite authentic, as there were quite a few Indian people eating there as well each time I went. There are a lot of options, even for vegetarians/vegans. The service wasn't amazing, but not bad either. They take reservations and try to accommodate preferences. Even though the place is huge (big enough for a wedding of 150 guests) it gets surprisingly packed on the weekends so its best to reserve if you're going on a Friday or Saturday night, even if you're only a party of 2.

The only complaint I have is that when we had a surprise party here for a friend's birthday, they ruined the surprise. We'd given them the cake and told them it was a surprise and that we wanted it brought out after we were finished eating. Instead, after clearing our tables, a waiter comes up to our table in front of the birthday person and says "You want cake now?" And then he knew we'd had a cake for him LOL. Fail. But at least it is a funny memory to look back on.
    To be fair, the cake we brought them was the shape of an inappropriate object - it was a joke. The staff had a very good sense of humour about it, so I give them credit for that.

The price range I selected is based on you go with the BYOB option. If you buy drinks there, or go 'all out' then you will probably pay between $30-$40.

Hard Rock Cafe, Sydney: One of the two Hard Rocks in Australia

by Arial_27 Updated Mar 21, 2014

For those who've never been to a Hard Rock, it is a world reknowned glorified burger joint franchise with a rock atmosphere and good music in the background. The food is usually pretty good; American-style and decent portions! Hard Rock Cafes was invented in London, England and there are now 150 locations in 53 countries worldwide (as of 2012.) There are only 2 in Australia - the other one is in Surfer's Paradise.
    The Sydney Hard Rock is located at Darling Harbour, a short walk from China town. Its quite massive, with a downstairs and upstairs, very large gift shop. I enjoyed the service and food, its also very nice having a meal right over the water.

Favorite Dish: The veggie burger with ranch sauce (pictured above) was great.

mmm.. veggieburger :)

The Rattle 'N Hum Bar & Grill: Cairns ~ Extremely Popular

by starship Updated Mar 20, 2014

The Rattle 'N Hum Bar & Grill was one of several nice places we found while walking on the Esplanade not far from the waterfront. When we first visited one afternoon, we stopped in only for refreshment ---meaning a couple of cold, local brews. We sat at a pleasant table in the terrace area and just watched the world go by. There were a few other customers around but it was not crowded.

However, on our second visit we arrived at dinner time and the Rattle 'N Hum was doing just that! It was quite crowded and finding an empty table wasn't easy. We just had to wait until one became free and then hope we could get there before someone else! We waited a long time for a waiter to arrive just to deliver our beverages. I believe ordering was a little different here. It seems we had to order pizza where it was being made, and meals ordered at an order station. Even so, it was a considerable wait. We weren't being ignored, it was just that busy!

We shared a wood-fired pizza named "The Don" which was topped Tomato base, mozzarella, ham, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and fresh basil ($18 AU) and it was delicious! We also shared a salad. (We did not order a dessert here as for 30 cents you could get a vanilla ice cream cone at McDonald's just down the street.)

For comparison, the plain cheese pizza or Margherita will cost $15 AU while something such as the fully loaded "Zeus Deluxe" will be $20. You will be sure to find one of their 14 types of pizza to your liking for both taste and economy. The Rattle 'N Hum serves both lunch and dinner and the menu is sure to offer something for everyone: salads, burgers, fish & chips, seafood, pasta, chicken and steaks with at least two side dishes. Be prepared to spend $16 to $36 AU dollars for any of these.

NOTE: if you arrive between 5 and 7 p.m. every day of the week, you'll receive 20% off your entrees and pizzas!!! This is a huge bonus!

You can sit inside or outside depending on your preference, and as Cairns climate seems to be perfect it's always nice to be outside. If you're very hungry for dinner, it would be best to arrive early before the crowds. If just interested in drinks, there is a large Sports Bar area separate from the restaurant with a great ambiance, decor and large screen, plasma TVs to follow your sports on 3 different channels.

The Rattle 'N Hum is open from 11:30 a.m. til late

Favorite Dish: Our pizza was excellent but I would love to try any of Rattle 'N Hum's other dishes. The descriptions of the burgers and fish and chips sounded very tasty! Both great with a cold beer!

courtesy of Rattle 'N Hum website Outdoor seating for bar crowd Rattle N' Hum on the Esplanade Covered outdoor seating

Cairns ~ The Lily Pad: Local Breakfast Spot

by starship Updated Mar 19, 2014

Since breakfast was not included in our hotel rate, we looked for a close by place and found The Lily Pad only a very short distance from the hotel. The outside wasn't particularly appealing but the inside looked a little like a Greenwich village, Bohemian sort of place that wasn't too bad --- lots of color on the walls, shabby chic furniture, etc. It seems to be very popular with the locals. The Lily Pad seems to be known for its vegetarian food.

After looking at the menu you order your meal at the counter and then wait to be served. Since our meals had been light the day before, breakfast was welcomed. My husband ordered quite a big breakfast with eggs, sausages, broiled tomato, sauteed mushrooms and toast accompanied by a flat white coffee. I chose the eggs, half a broiled tomato, bacon and toast with tea.

Service was a little slow but prices were reasonable and the food pretty good. We didn't visit The Lily Pad again during our stay in Cairns, but I wouldn't have objected if we did.

Hours: 7 days a week - 7am- 3pm

Rainforest View Restaurant: Kuranda ~ Al Fresco Dining with a View

by starship Updated Mar 18, 2014

After an early start to our day, we found ourselves ready for lunch maybe a bit earlier than normal. The early timing worked to our favor because we were able to get a very good table with a great view into the rainforest at the Rainforest View Restaurant. The view was the best thing about this restaurant as it turns out.

We thought this rather earthy, open-air restaurant was just the ticket to escape the heat and humidity of the day. There were lots of beautiful hanging fern pots which added to the al fresco atmosphere. The view from our table had us keeping our eyes open while we hoped to see exotic birds or other animals from our balcony perch.

It's a good thing we had something to occupy our time because service here was not good at all. We waited a long time for our server to arrive in the first place, and maybe even longer to receive our meal, and the longest time of all to receive our bill. The service was so indifferent that I don't believe we even left a tip (which Americans tend to do even in countries where tipping is not the custom).

Favorite Dish: I usually remember virtually everything about trips we take, but in this case my memory as to what we ordered here is fuzzy. I believe I had a burger and fries which were OK. It seems like my husband ordered a pasta dish. Since I don't have specific memories of the food, let's just rate it OK as a whole.

I know that we thought this restaurant a bit expensive for what was received. Other reviews I've read about this restaurant on tripadvisor.com seem to be evenly split between those diners who believed this restaurant was horrible to those that believed it was great! Opinions, therefore, seem a little schizophrenic which isn't a good indication to choose this restaurant. But maybe you'll find yourself there on one of their good days, LOL!

Arirang: Delicious Korean food in Perth

by Arial_27 Written Mar 17, 2014

I lived in Korea for a year and enjoyed a lot of local food there, so I know Korean food quite well - mainly the vegetarian-friendly options since I don't eat meat. This place was awesome and catered to many different dietary preferences - there are plenty of options for vegetarians, vegans, and gluten free or even if you're just trying to eat healthy. I can also contest to how authentic it was.
    The only thing different about this place and traditional restaurants in Korea is that many of the dishes (such as bibimbap, an galbi) wouldn't normally be served in the same type of restaurant in Korea. They are all available here.

You get your own table with a grill to BBQ your own meat, and there are plenty of options of side dishes or non-bbq dishes if you're not interested in that. Great service, food and experience. We had an awesome time!

Favorite Dish: Dol-sot bibimbap (bibimbap served in a hot bowl, with egg - pictured above.) Fantastic and authentic flavour of vegetables and sauce. Delicious!

Fremantle's best breakfast place

by Arial_27 Written Mar 17, 2014

Angel's House is a best-kept secret. You won't find a website for it or any online or any advertising. I believe it solely survives on word of mouth, which keeps it relatively quiet. When we were there, there was only one other party. It is a very small space though, so I think its nice that they don't try to crowd it too much. It gives it a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere to have breakfast in.

It specializes in pancakes, which have a base price (roughly $7 or $8.) After that, each topping was an extra $1 and they have several to choose from: different flavoured syrups, nutella, mixed fruit, cinnamon butter and more.

I highly recommend looking for this place (sorry I don' have an address - it was very hard to find.) However, if you ask around the main street in Fremantle, there should be someone who knows where it is!

Favorite Dish: Both the pancakes and the smoothies were fantastic.

Gloria Jeans: My addiction

by Arial_27 Written Mar 17, 2014

Gloria Jeans was the holy grail for me when I was travelling through Australia. Every time I saw one, I had to go in. Their drinks, and foods were glorious and will always have a place in my heart.

There are Gloria Jeans locations all over Australia, although the chain is American. They're not very common worldwide; I've never seen one in Canada but I did hear there was one in Vietnam.

Great place for a treat, or a pick-me up on any day. They do great hot drinks as well as summer frappes and blended drinks.

Favorite Dish: I almost always ordered a Mudslide mocha, and sometimes a pastry.

Mudslide mocha, and oreo cheesecake

The Rocks Cafe: Sydney - Historic Ambiance & Good Food

by starship Updated Mar 12, 2014

Happy to be meeting our daughter's boyfriend's parents, The Rocks Cafe on George Street (in The Rocks), was chosen for a Sunday breakfast get together. It was a very nice place! It had a European charm about it both inside and out. Casemate windows trimmed in green with goldleaf lettering provided a beautiful entrance to the restaurant's ground floor. Inside, a small but cozy seating area was embellished with dark, wooden ceilings, warm lighting and a massive white marble serving bar with a nice wine display behind it. We were shown upstairs to a somewhat larger room with more seating but still a very inviting decor and atmosphere with lots of light streaming through the windows.

Though already quite full when we arrived, the service was good and the breakfast menu arrived in a reasonable amount of time. The menu was quite different but all dishes sounding very appealing. Our orders ranged from a light yogurt, nuts, berries and rolled oats, to omelets and eggs Benedict. Portions were not large but sufficient. Coffee and tea were replenished repeatedly by our waitress. Though I love all types of tea served hot or cold, during this trip I instantly became enamored of Australia's "flat white" style of coffee and ordered it nearly every chance I had.

I believe everyone enjoyed their meal and the time spent becoming acquainted with each other with The Rocks Cafe as a backdrop went quite well. My only complaint was that though the prices here may be normal for Australia, the check for 6 breakfasts (not fancy) with beverages came as quite a shock --- approximately $180 Australian with tip! The simplest breakfast ordered was still $15.50 Australian.

Favorite Dish: Everyone agreed that their breakfast was very good! However, if you are on a strict budget, try The Rocks Cafe for a good "flat white" coffee and soak up the atmosphere, but enjoy your meal at a less expensive venue if you can find one.

The Rocks Cafe The Rocks Cafe - Second Floor Breakfast - Family & Friends

• oxymoron's Profile Photo

Madame Brussels: A wee bit of naughty with your cocktail

by oxymoron Updated Mar 3, 2014

This is a quirky and fantastic experience to enjoy. There is indoor seating and alfresco terraces to sip and enjoy the views. Both of the city AND depending on your gender the eye-catching waiters/esses who are clad in short tennis outfits (very pretty girls and very buff blokes). Food is also served but I merely indulged in a cocktail or two. ie Prussian tea/coffee cream. Both delicious! The ambience is sooo good and quite lively. Lots of folks of varying ages but equally girly afternoons out were in evidence.
    It was very hot on the day of my visit and should you require some shade on the terrace? pretty Japanese style parasols are at your disposal on request.
    A great afternoon out.
    Prices a wee bit on the plus side but worth it just to be there.
    ps. And the wee bit of naughty?
    well apart from the great eye-candy of the servers, the menu has an air of double entendre about it which is quite amusing.

• Work Abroad
    • Gay and Lesbian

• oxymoron's Profile Photo

Robert Burns Hotel: Scottish themed tapas bar?

by oxymoron Updated Mar 3, 2014

This is a tapas/restaurant place serving really good food with an option of indoor/outdoor eating. The not-too-large al fresco dining allows room for the available tables/diners to enjoy the experience. Good wines are available AND each night at 5pm (when the place opens) it's happy hour with wine prices.
    It has a really nice relaxing ambience and the place is run by a couple of Madrilenos so if you feel the urge to try out your Spanish? Well I did despite not being fluent it kind of made the visit more enjoyable.

Favorite Dish: Apologies but the wine was sooo good I can't remember what I had to eat when here!!!
    It was well attended by the locals and others so it MUST have been a worthwhile experience!
    Comprehensive wine list available. Hic!
    Try to take advantage of the happy hour deal so that you can taste the tapas and wine to get a feel of the place.
    Enjoy (disfrute)

689 Reviews - 2073 Photos
Broome Hotels
187 Reviews - 425 Photos

Instant Answers: Australia

Comments

Australia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Australia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Australia sightseeing.
Map of Australia