Places to eat in Australia

Most Viewed Restaurants in Australia

• DAO's Profile Photo

MANLY PIZZA & WINE: IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS

by DAO Written Apr 19, 2015

Manly Pizza and Wine serves your favourite wine! Yes, yours! OK, this is where it gets interesting. You have to bring your own wine. Yes – it’s a BYO (Bring Your Own) wine restaurant, but this means you are always assured of the best wines. The important thing to remember is that the food is fantastic. I was with a small group and we stopped in for the $10 Lunch Special. For around $8 US, you get a choice of pizzas, pastas or salads. We had all 3 and they were wonderful. I had the Suprema Pizza with pepperoni, ham, mushroom, peppers, onion, oregano & olives. It was perfectly made and cooked. A thin and crispy pizza made to perfection. The pasts and salads were also delicious. A fantastic little restaurant that knows how to make great Italian food. And the service was absolutely perfect as well.

It is no surprise they have several awards displayed inside.

Opening hours:
    • Monday – Closed
    • Tuesday – Wednesday, Dinner 5pm –10pm
    • Thursday – Sunday, Lunch 12–3pm, Dinner 5pm – Late
    • Live music every Friday, Saturday, Sunday night
    Deliveries 5pm – 9pm 7 nights a week ($4 to Seaforth, Balgowlah, Fairlight, Manly, Manly Vale, Freshwater, Harbord, Queenscliff)

Please note: They do not serve wine! You must bring your own.

MANLY PIZZA & WINE MANLY PIZZA & WINE MANLY PIZZA & WINE MANLY PIZZA & WINE MANLY PIZZA & WINE
    • Wine Tasting

Lüneburger German Bakery in Sydney: GERMAN bread & pastry

by globetrott Updated Dec 18, 2014

The Lüneburger German Bakery is a cafe not far from Challis Lodge and as my hotel did not serve breakfast this cafe became my favorite place to go for breakfast !
    They have brown bread with full grain and make perfect sandwiches out of them and especially the pastries are excellent and made in a taste that is almost identical with what I am used in Austria and Germany.
    They have a few tables INside and also some OUTside.
    On the link below you can read more about this Bakery, they are a chain of 7 cafes in Sydney !

Favorite Dish: The german fullgrain-bread, Pretzels, Sandwiches and also the coffee was great and strong !

The Milk Bar:: a great place for breakfast & more

by globetrott Updated Dec 17, 2014

In Stroud I found this tiny cafe next to the library, where I had my breakfast. I was glad they opened quite early and they had a good choice of pastries and sandwiches. There are a few tables inside and 3 small tables out on the terrace, facing that main-street of Stroud, that will NOT be busy with cartrafic at all !

Favorite Dish: I had a cappucino and some pastries and I was glad to be able to enjoy it out on the terrace.

Red Hill Restaurant: what a great view of Canberra

by globetrott Written Dec 13, 2014

When you get to Canberra and the weather is fine, this might be a perfect place to have lunch or dinner and enjoy the great scenery and perfect panorama-view of Australia's Capital Canberra ! It is a pity that I got there when they were closed aready, but I had a look through their Windows and for my next time this might be a place to have dinner !
    Red Hill is also a great place to go hiking !

Favorite Dish: They have a ground floor that is open for a longer time and a fine Restaurant on the upper floor, that obviously is open only for lunch and dinner on certain days, take a look at the timetables:
    --------------------------------
    The Restaurant UPstairs is open:
    For lunch from Wednesday till Friday
    and for dinner from Tuesday to Saturday

while the lower floor with the bar is open
    Wednesday to Saturday: open 12.00 noon Lunch & Dinner
    Sunday: open 11.00am Lunch & Dinner
    Bar is also open within these hours
    Monday & Tuesday closed !

• Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

The Art Cafe: in Murrurundi

by globetrott Written Dec 5, 2014

This interesting Bar & Gallery stands for many similar places that I found along the road, when driving through Australia: This is a tiny bar in a private wooden house along the main road in Murrurundi. I was actually looking for the great works of art that I saw in the grass around the building and finally I got to this tiny bar and its romantic terrace facing the garden and some more works of art there.
    You will find some more pics about this Art-Cafe in the travelogues of my Murrurundi-page

Favorite Dish: I had an espresso on the terrace and a nice chat with the lady, who is also the artist, who made many of these great works of art.Dont miss to take a look at the terrace as well, it looks very romantic and lots of art-birds are flying there as well !

Driftin' Coffee Bar and Restaurant: Cairns ~ Pleasant Place on the Esplanade

by starship Updated Oct 3, 2014

Cairns seems like the quintessential tropical destination and with that comes lots of tourists, especially young people. It was fun to watch the evening parade of visitors in search of the perfect place to have dinner. Many, if not most, drifted toward the Esplanade, the lane closest to the waterfront. Frankly, we found ourselves there nearly every night as well. There are a lot of restaurants to choose from to be sure.

Our first dinner in Cairns was at the Driftin' Coffee Bar and Restaurant where the sidewalk seating offered a very appealing place for catching the evening tropical breezes, people watching and a nice meal for a good price. The "sandwich board" advertising the daily special of steak, salad and fries for under AU$14 pp was just just the ticket and just what we ordered. Our friendly, young British waitress promptly took our order and brought us something cool to drink. And, although the outdoor seating was only about half full at the time we arrived, and the indoor seating had a few diners there, it didn't take long before the restaurant was full. In spite of this, our meal came rather quickly and as we were hungry, we finished just as quickly. The food was fresh and hot, if not a gourmet meal which we didn't expect anyway. We finished the meal by ordering two flat white coffees and tried to linger there as long as possible while trying not to deny our waitress another chance for a tip from additional customers ---yes, a tip!

The restaurant had a good-sized menu and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is listed as #55 on the TripAdvisor list of 272 restaurants in Cairns. I would recommend this restaurant for a decent meal, good service, good location, very good prices and nice atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: As enjoyable as our meal and the setting were at "Driftin'", we enjoyed the conversation with our waitress the most. It was fascinating to learn about the "traveling habits" of the young when it comes to Australia. So many of the young travelers who spend a lengthy amount of time in Cairns are on student work visa and have spent months working and/or traveling about Australia before returning to their home country. This young woman was paying over AU $100 per week to stay in a dorm room with 11 other people with no personal space --- I couldn't do that --- but I really admired her willingness to endure less than even normal circumstances to see the world and experience it all.

So combining the very decent food and excellent price plus good conversation, I'd call Driftin' a very pleasant place to eat indeed!

Driftin Coffee Bar and Restaurant Inside seating at Driftin' Dinner Special - steak, fries, salad

Cairns ~ The Lily Pad: Local Breakfast Spot

by starship Updated Oct 3, 2014

Since breakfast was not included in our hotel rate, we looked for a close by place and found "The Lily Pad" only a very short walk from our hotel. The outside wasn't particularly appealing -- leaflets & posters plastered around the entrance made it look like a college hangout. The interior reminded me a little of a Greenwich village, Bohemian sort of place that wasn't too bad --- lots of color on the walls, shabby chic furniture, etc. It seems to be very popular with the locals and is known for its vegetarian food.

After looking at the menu, you order your meal at the counter and then wait to be served. Since our meals had been light the day before, breakfast was welcomed. My husband ordered quite a big breakfast with eggs, sausages, broiled tomato, sauteed mushrooms and toast accompanied by a flat white coffee. I chose the eggs, half a broiled tomato, bacon and toast with tea.

Service was a little slow but prices were reasonable and the food pretty good. We didn't visit The Lily Pad again during our stay in Cairns, but I wouldn't have objected if we did.

Can't remember how much the breakfast check came to, but I believe it was a good value for what we ordered.

Also serves lunch!
    Hours: 7 days a week - 7am- 3pm

Hanuman: Thai food in Darwin

by Arial_27 Updated Jun 1, 2014

There are a number of Thai food places in Darwin; this one was convenient for us because its located on Mitchell street which is one of the main steets in the city and close to where our hostel was located.

Besides Thai food, they also have Indian food, and plenty of options for vegetarians.

It had an authentic feel; bamboo place mats, and nice decor. We ate on the balcony overlooking Mitchell street. Perfect atmosphere for a warm summer night.

• AlanaHaszler's Profile Photo

Magistic Lunch Cruise: Don't miss the Gourmet Buffet Lunch

by AlanaHaszler Updated May 13, 2014

There are times you get stuck in a fix and for a lucky few you come out unscathed. I consider myself lucky that way and would like to share one such incident with you.

I seldom have guests and when I do; my house is a buzzing beehive. It was my cousin’s wedding this time and I was hosting a few family friends who were visiting Sydney for the first time. I considered it my responsibility to show them around so they would leave with wonderful memories about Sydney, other than calling it one of the most expensive places in the world. My husband and I drove them over the famous Harbour Bridge, took them to Opera House and the Sea Life Aquarium.

The day seemed to be going great till we reached the Wharf. I had planned to take them to one of the best restaurants there. Yes! You got me right, I should have booked ahead, and they were full. The kids were getting a little cranky as they did start having rats in their little tummies. Just when I was going to sulk over my over confidence, a banner caught my eye - ‘Magistic Cruises’. Without losing a moment and calling out to God I rushed to their office. We were just in time for their lunch cruise. Though I was a little doubtful about the food, the crowd, the service and the ambience on a cruise, this was my only hope.

I felt a little relieved when I was greeted so warmly onboard by the staff. Keeping my fingers crossed I walked ahead. I was overwhelmed when I saw we had reserved tables even though it was a last minute booking. The picture windows immediately attracted the kids. We got our food to our tables and, trust me when I say it, it was pure gourmet. It was so fresh and well-prepared. Their bar stocked some of the best wine and beer from the country.

We decided to stay back for the 2 hour complimentary sightseeing cruise as everyone was enjoying every bit of it. Gliding past the Opera House and all the prominent places around the harbour, it was a breathtaking experience. As a matter of fact, we got the best view and pictures of Opera House from the cruise than what we clicked during the day.

The only thing that bothered me – I would have saved quite a bit, had I booked online with them. A lesson learnt, and now - shared!

Favorite Dish: Hokkien noodles with garlic & soy
    Fresh prawns with tomato mayonnaise
    Waldorf salad

Fresh prawns
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Cruise

Dolce Vita Gelato: Gelato (and pizza) in Fremantle

by Arial_27 Updated May 6, 2014

My friends and I used to love going here, because at the time you could get a slice of pizza and a gelato dessert for $7. (2011 -2012.) This is a bargain in Australia!

They had a good selection of gelatos - frozen yogurt, sugar free, lots of flavours, etc. Its a nice little place located on the main street of Fremantle.

Favorite Dish: Oreo gelato, of course. The pizza was good too!

Jurien Bay Pizza: Pizzeria north of Perth

by Arial_27 Written May 6, 2014

Jurien Bay would either be a stop on a road trip if you are driving from Perth up to Monkey Mia, or Broome. Or maybe you would stop here to try to famous skydiving on Jurien Bay beach. Either way, I can only really speak of two places to eat in the area and one of them was a pizzeria called "Jurien Bay Pizza."

Its a small business in the heart of town, and from what I remember their pizza was great. Wide selection of toppings available.

Delicious Indian food in Northbridge (Perth): Taj Mahal

by Arial_27 Updated May 5, 2014

Somewhat upper-scale dining experience, B.Y.O.B and located in Perth's night life district. The food is very good and quite authentic, as there were quite a few Indian people eating there as well each time I went. There are a lot of options, even for vegetarians/vegans. The service wasn't amazing, but not bad either. They take reservations and try to accommodate preferences. Even though the place is huge (big enough for a wedding of 150 guests) it gets surprisingly packed on the weekends so its best to reserve if you're going on a Friday or Saturday night, even if you're only a party of 2.

The only complaint I have is that when we had a surprise party here for a friend's birthday, they ruined the surprise. We'd given them the cake and told them it was a surprise and that we wanted it brought out after we were finished eating. Instead, after clearing our tables, a waiter comes up to our table in front of the birthday person and says "You want cake now?" And then he knew we'd had a cake for him LOL. Fail. But at least it is a funny memory to look back on.
    To be fair, the cake we brought them was the shape of an inappropriate object - it was a joke. The staff had a very good sense of humour about it, so I give them credit for that.

The price range I selected is based on you go with the BYOB option. If you buy drinks there, or go 'all out' then you will probably pay between $30-$40.

Hard Rock Cafe, Sydney: One of the two Hard Rocks in Australia

by Arial_27 Updated Mar 21, 2014

For those who've never been to a Hard Rock, it is a world reknowned glorified burger joint franchise with a rock atmosphere and good music in the background. The food is usually pretty good; American-style and decent portions! Hard Rock Cafes was invented in London, England and there are now 150 locations in 53 countries worldwide (as of 2012.) There are only 2 in Australia - the other one is in Surfer's Paradise.
    The Sydney Hard Rock is located at Darling Harbour, a short walk from China town. Its quite massive, with a downstairs and upstairs, very large gift shop. I enjoyed the service and food, its also very nice having a meal right over the water.

Favorite Dish: The veggie burger with ranch sauce (pictured above) was great.

mmm.. veggieburger :)

The Rattle 'N Hum Bar & Grill: Cairns ~ Extremely Popular

by starship Updated Mar 20, 2014

The Rattle 'N Hum Bar & Grill was one of several nice places we found while walking on the Esplanade not far from the waterfront. When we first visited one afternoon, we stopped in only for refreshment ---meaning a couple of cold, local brews. We sat at a pleasant table in the terrace area and just watched the world go by. There were a few other customers around but it was not crowded.

However, on our second visit we arrived at dinner time and the Rattle 'N Hum was doing just that! It was quite crowded and finding an empty table wasn't easy. We just had to wait until one became free and then hope we could get there before someone else! We waited a long time for a waiter to arrive just to deliver our beverages. I believe ordering was a little different here. It seems we had to order pizza where it was being made, and meals ordered at an order station. Even so, it was a considerable wait. We weren't being ignored, it was just that busy!

We shared a wood-fired pizza named "The Don" which was topped Tomato base, mozzarella, ham, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and fresh basil ($18 AU) and it was delicious! We also shared a salad. (We did not order a dessert here as for 30 cents you could get a vanilla ice cream cone at McDonald's just down the street.)

For comparison, the plain cheese pizza or Margherita will cost $15 AU while something such as the fully loaded "Zeus Deluxe" will be $20. You will be sure to find one of their 14 types of pizza to your liking for both taste and economy. The Rattle 'N Hum serves both lunch and dinner and the menu is sure to offer something for everyone: salads, burgers, fish & chips, seafood, pasta, chicken and steaks with at least two side dishes. Be prepared to spend $16 to $36 AU dollars for any of these.

NOTE: if you arrive between 5 and 7 p.m. every day of the week, you'll receive 20% off your entrees and pizzas!!! This is a huge bonus!

You can sit inside or outside depending on your preference, and as Cairns climate seems to be perfect it's always nice to be outside. If you're very hungry for dinner, it would be best to arrive early before the crowds. If just interested in drinks, there is a large Sports Bar area separate from the restaurant with a great ambiance, decor and large screen, plasma TVs to follow your sports on 3 different channels.

The Rattle 'N Hum is open from 11:30 a.m. til late

Favorite Dish: Our pizza was excellent but I would love to try any of Rattle 'N Hum's other dishes. The descriptions of the burgers and fish and chips sounded very tasty! Both great with a cold beer!

courtesy of Rattle 'N Hum website Outdoor seating for bar crowd Rattle N' Hum on the Esplanade Covered outdoor seating

Rainforest View Restaurant: Kuranda ~ Al Fresco Dining with a View

by starship Updated Mar 18, 2014

After an early start to our day, we found ourselves ready for lunch maybe a bit earlier than normal. The early timing worked to our favor because we were able to get a very good table with a great view into the rainforest at the Rainforest View Restaurant. The view was the best thing about this restaurant as it turns out.

We thought this rather earthy, open-air restaurant was just the ticket to escape the heat and humidity of the day. There were lots of beautiful hanging fern pots which added to the al fresco atmosphere. The view from our table had us keeping our eyes open while we hoped to see exotic birds or other animals from our balcony perch.

It's a good thing we had something to occupy our time because service here was not good at all. We waited a long time for our server to arrive in the first place, and maybe even longer to receive our meal, and the longest time of all to receive our bill. The service was so indifferent that I don't believe we even left a tip (which Americans tend to do even in countries where tipping is not the custom).

Favorite Dish: I usually remember virtually everything about trips we take, but in this case my memory as to what we ordered here is fuzzy. I believe I had a burger and fries which were OK. It seems like my husband ordered a pasta dish. Since I don't have specific memories of the food, let's just rate it OK as a whole.

I know that we thought this restaurant a bit expensive for what was received. Other reviews I've read about this restaurant on tripadvisor.com seem to be evenly split between those diners who believed this restaurant was horrible to those that believed it was great! Opinions, therefore, seem a little schizophrenic which isn't a good indication to choose this restaurant. But maybe you'll find yourself there on one of their good days, LOL!

Australia Hotels

1678 Reviews - 3814 Photos
Echuca Hotels
57 Reviews - 148 Photos

Instant Answers: Australia

Comments

Australia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Australia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Australia sightseeing.
Map of Australia