Sports Events in Australia

Jet Ski Hamilton Island
    by aussirose
    Then enter a surfing competition!
    by tiabunna
    Attacking shot
    by Orchid

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Australia

• Rugby

by Robert11729 Updated Dec 2, 2003

Australian Rugby is a great australian sport i advise you to at least goto a game....if you are looking to see a great rugby game there isnt anything better than Australia Vs. New Zealand. Ok ill take that back lol Australia Vs. England was a great game :) Too bad australia lost :(

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Scuba Diving

by tini58de Written Sep 13, 2003

The Great Barrier Reef is just an open invitation to go scuba diving! It is an awesome place!!!

You can book special diving tours with local operators, or you can even go diving on a boat trip to the reef, as we did. We went out to the reef and then we were asked, if we wanted to go diving (for certified divers), if we wanted to try to dive (for beginners), if we wanted to go snorkeling or go on a glass bottom boat. All of it was a lot of fun!

In the web I found an interesting site about diving for the handicapped, so I am including that website on this page.

Diving at the Great Barrier Reef
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Disabilities

• mrserious's Profile Photo

Diving

by mrserious Written Aug 10, 2003

As Australia has so much coastline there is diving to be done all around the country. I've dove on the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns, and I've dove in Darwin, Sydney and Western Australia. I enjoyed it all, but the visibility is poor in Darwin.

Stingray on GBR
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Fishing

by iandsmith Updated Jul 18, 2003

I love fishing. Generally, I'm an estuary man or a rock fisherman, since I don't own a boat. Apparently, from what I can gather, Australia isn't the worst place to go if fishing is what you like.
    Game fishing of world reknown is available from many places and the other extreme would be fly fishing in the Tasmanian highland lakes.
    Whatever your fancy is, you will probably find it here, especially the legendary barramundi in the northern regions.
    Here I am at Port Stephens at the harbour entrance chancing my arm and caching the usual rubbish that seem to like my baits. Actually, I'm not that bad, but I'm not that good either!

Equipment: You need long rods for beach and rock fishing, shorter for estuary or river.
    Fly fishing is also very popular and Aussies will try it anywhere. I recently saw a TV show where they were fly fishing for schnapper in the open ocean (and catching them).
    Depends on what type of fish you're after as to what bait you need. Ask at your local bait shop.
    Boat hire is available all around Australia.

Come and get it! Yes I can catch them as well From my Whyalla pages
    • Fishing
    • Whale Watching

• FireMike's Profile Photo

Surfing and Scuba

by FireMike Written Mar 15, 2003

There were two things I really wanted to do in Oz., surf and dive. I thought I would do more surfing but I ended up getting a job on a dive boat so that settled that. I already talked about the surf trip that was awesome.

Best wave ever
    • Surfing
    • Beaches

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Surfing

by iandsmith Updated Jan 22, 2003

Yes, you heard right, Australia does have great beaches and, if it's onshore on one side of the island well, there's always the other! (Only joking of course.)
    For many years I surfed and still like watching it and I have to say, perhaps a little biased, that we really do have some of the world's most gorgeous seashore.
    Does my photo lie?

Equipment: You can ride the waves with your body, with fins on your hands, with a body board (called lid riders), short board, long board (malibu), surf ski, windsurfer or kite surfer. Heck, I've even surfed in the catamaran I used to own. It's a wonderful sport and life but, if it's your first time, do learn the ways of the surf before you go in. Every year a couple of dozen tourists drown through ignorance, don't add to the statistic.

Northern N.S.W. coast

• rdhaliwal's Profile Photo

Bungy Jump Madness

by rdhaliwal Written Nov 20, 2002

Bungy jumping in Cairns was definitely one of the highlights of my trip. Oz Experience took us to the AJ Hacket site which is at the foot of Saddle Mountain in Cairns.

From the moment I walked into the building my adrenaline was rushing, I think alot of that had to do with the pumping hard house they were blasting.

The climb to the jump platform was a bit exhausting but when I got to the top the view of the forest was brilliant.

The jump was probably one of the best things that I've ever experienced. Just thinking about it or watching the video gets me excited. I can't wait for my next jump.

I was a bungy virgin and now I'd say I'm a definite convert.

• chris_i79's Profile Photo

Footy downunder

by chris_i79 Updated Sep 9, 2002

You should try to see a game of Australian Football in person. You can either see Aussie Rules (AFL), Rugby League or Rugby Union.

Most major cities will have professional teams (especially Victoria where they are known too be fanatics about the sport).

• Joenes's Profile Photo

Melbourne, The Australian Open

by Joenes Updated Sep 29, 2005

If you're in Melbourne in January I absolutely recommend a visit to the Australian Open Tennis Championships.
    It is a very special occasion with a great atmosphere at Flinders Park.

Australian Open, Melbourne Anna Kournikova warming up (Australian Open) Anna Kournikova warming up (Australian Open) Corretja on court 3 (Australian Open) Inside the Rod Laver Arena

• Bill_Steg's Profile Photo

Fishing

by Bill_Steg Updated Feb 8, 2005

A 1800 grs. King George Whiting caught on a boat in Westernport bay, near Hasings.

Equipment: Wet weather gear patience and a good mood!

King George Whiting.
    • Beaches
    • Fishing

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Hang Gliding at Byron Bay

by darthmilmo Written Feb 11, 2004

Although I didn’t do it, one can go hang gliding at Byron Bay. If you want to do it then this is the town to do it in Australia.

Hang Gliding at Byron Bay
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Hang Gliding

• Bill_Steg's Profile Photo

Cricket

by Bill_Steg Updated Jun 25, 2003

I hope all the people of the Northern Territory wiil support the forthcoming cricket events in Darwin. Good for you, ACB! The same applies to the event scheduled in Cairns.

Marrara Cricket Ground, Darwin

43 Reviews - 128 Photos
Brisbane Hotels
1674 Reviews - 3809 Photos

Instant Answers: Australia

Comments

Australia Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Australia sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Australia sightseeing.
Map of Australia