Sports Events in Australia

Jet Ski Hamilton Island
    by aussirose
    Then enter a surfing competition!
    by tiabunna
    Attacking shot
    by Orchid

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Australia

• Joenes's Profile Photo

Mountainbiking from Glenelg to the Adelaide Hills

by Joenes Updated Sep 29, 2005

Along the Torrens River you will find a cyling route which is both challenging for the body as well as he mind. It takes you from Glenelg trough Adelaide to the Adelaide Hills.
    You go up and down and the surroundings get more breathtaking when you get closer to the Adelaide Hills.
    It is about 40 kilometers each way.
    I have done this route about 10 times the last 3 years and I would go back to Adelaide for that alone if there wasn't anything else which there is!!

Equipment: Rent a mountainbike at your hostel or another place.

Adelaide Hills Adelaide Hills The origin of the Torrens River in the Adelaide Hi Crossing the Torrens River in Adelaide Closing in on the Adelaide Hills
    • Cycling

Golf... Another favorite Aussie Sport

by Sweetberry1 Written Jul 18, 2004

Golf is a favorite with Aussies, both, males and females. There are many world famous courses throughout Australia, and all towns and cities in Australia have great golf facilities.

Equipment: No need to bring your own clubs.. you can hire everything here. You might like to bring a caddy though

Golf Course
    • Golf

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Diving and snorkeling in Australia

by Myndo Updated Aug 11, 2004

There are a lot of Places from where you can go diving or snorkeling in Australia.

The most famos place to do it would be on the Barrier Reef.
    When you stay on the east coast you will most probably start from Cairns or a place south of it.
    If you want to start diving it will be cheaper if you are learning it somewhere south of Cairns - the more south the more cheap it is said to be. But if you want to make trips to the Barrier Reef they will take longer as from Cairns itself.

If you are travelling the west Coast of Australia there are also some wonderful places. E.g. around Exmouth
    Coral Bay is a small town, an excellent place to spend a few quiet days and relax.
    It has a reef very close to the beach (hence the name), actually it starts right 5m from the beach. And it is really beautiful, like swimming in a zoo aquarium.
    Ningaloo Reef is also a Natural Reserve

Equipment: Make sure if you learn divinig, that you do it properly. Meaning: Choose a Dive school that shows you how to dive safe - for you and your environment.
    PADI aproved ones are mostly good.

And remember: do not touch the corals. Leave them as they are for the next to see and enjoy!

Corals and colorful fishes

• unravelau's Profile Photo

Hockey is a pretty popular sport here

by unravelau Updated Nov 6, 2006

I was watching my two sons play in the grand final of the local competition last weekend and it took me back to when they first started to play. Wow, they were primary school students and from the word go showed an aptitude for sport of any kind but were really attracted to hockey. Broken bones, cracked teeth and numerous stitches later and still they play and enjoy.

There are many playing fields dotted around Australia ......... every council area has space set aside for all sports. Bring your hockey stick and a ball and keep up with your practice while holidaying in our wonderful country.

Equipment: Plenty of equipment available here if you don't want to tote your own.

Hockey Final

Sailing the Whitsunday Islands

by darthmilmo Written Feb 11, 2004

I managed to get a good package that includes a Frasier Island self-drive tour, a ride on a yacht through the Whitsunday’s, as well as other perks. If you’re planning on visiting Frasier Island and the Whitsunday Islands on one trip, then make sure you take advantage of the inexpensive packages offering both tours.

From Arlie Beach, I boarded the New Horizon, a beautiful sailing boat. We left the harbor at AB and headed straight to the Whitsunday Islands on what turned out to be a wonderful trip. The islands were spectacular, the water was crystal clear, and the weather was usually nice and warm. It is true what they say, the best way to see the Whitsunday Islands is by sailing. Give it a chance!

Sailing the Whitsunday Islands
    • Sailing and Boating

• unravelau's Profile Photo

Australians on the whole are pretty sports minded.

by unravelau Updated May 30, 2010

While enjoying my once a month breakfast at the beach two sundays ago, I was reminded of how sports conscious Australians are. It is not unusual where I live to see the triathalon taking place on any weekend really. They (the athletes) can be seen jogging, bicycling or swimming pretty seriously and despite weather conditions, that would send me back to bed.

Anyway, some, on this day even managed to half invite themselves for a cuppa and a chat...........LOL.

Equipment: I am pretty sure that if you are a participator in this kind of event you would be well equipped and have your specific likes and dislikes, although everything that you would need can be purchased here.

Triathalon in progress Foreshores area at the Jetty Coffs Harbour

Fishing

by Sweetberry1 Updated Jul 18, 2004

OK.. this is where I do a bit of serious name dropping.. LOL...
    This is me fishing with Pearce Brosnan's Dad in Law... between Hervey Bay and Frazer Island...
    The fishing in Queensland waters is fantastic.. whether off the beach or pier, or you go out on a boat..
    Some of my favorite catches are, Snapper, Whiting, Golden Trevally, Red Emporer, Coral Trout, and Sweet Lip.

Equipment: You will need some rods/poles, the best place to get these in Hervey Bay is....

Fisherman's Corner.
    On the Esplanade,
    Scarness.

Ask for 'Mark' ( Studdy ) also my son in law...
    and tell him Susie sent you.. and to give you a good deal... LOL....
    What he doesn't know about fishing, isn't worth knowing..

Fishing...
    • Fishing

Grand Prix

by Sweetberry1 Updated Jul 18, 2004

Melbourne is the home of the Australian Grand Prix. This event is held at Albert Park.. in March I think.. Please correct me if I am wrong.. ;-)
    I was in Melbourne on that day, and was surprised the traffic ran so smoothly. I was heading to the Hard Rock Cafe.. ;-)

Grand Prix...

Diving – PADI

by darthmilmo Written Feb 11, 2004

So, you paid an enormous amount of money to go to Australia and now you’re looking into diving. After all, the Great Barrier Reef is among the best places to do so on Earth. How do you dive you ask? Who do you trust? In my opinion, the best and most professional certifying agency out there is PADI, which operates in over 100 countries. They offer intense short courses for you so that you can become a novice or advance diver in no time. Check out their webpage at www.padi.com.

Where to dive??? Well, there are several choices in Australia. I mention a few spots on the Great Barrier Reef I visited. But there are others, particularly the impressive Ningaloo reef in Western Australia. Regardless of where you choose to go, make sure you do the most of it. You get what you paid for. If you go on a one day trip, you will be packed with 50-100 people that want to go diving, snorkeling, or just take the trip for the boat ride. They usually take you to highly touristy reefs. So it is better to save money and go for a longer trip. Perhaps take a live aboard trip or go to one of the selected resorts such as Heron Island or Lady Elliot Is. It’s your choice!

About diving… it is the closest thing to weightlessness on Earth. The fact you're in the Great Barrier Reef is a bonus as you get a show of exotic fish, crustaceans, corral, sharks, rays, turtles, dolphins and more.

A glimpse of what awaits you underwater!

Snorkeling

by darthmilmo Written Feb 11, 2004

It is true what they say, you sometimes see more snorkeling then diving. In between dives, whenever we had some leftover energy (which is not common) we went out snorkeling. I also took on snorkeling from the shore of various islands or beach towns I visited: Great Keppel Island, Magnetic Island, and Moreton Island come to mind.
    On one occasion, while traveling on the Venus II, my friend Sandra and I saw even more wild life snorkeling then what we saw diving. I remember we started of by following a turtle that showed us the way to a giant sting ray. Then, it in turn led us to 5 more turtles in a row. Finally, we saw a small white tip shark before we had to swim back to the boat.

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Bungee Jumping (AJ Hacket in Cairns)

by darthmilmo Updated Apr 4, 2011

There is no better trill then those that come from the sky. AJ Hacket, the original bungee jump creators, has a site in Cairns. I didn't bungee jump though. Instead, I took a plunge on the giant Minjin Swing, which is a giant swing in the jungle. I have ridden this type before, but boy was it fun. Anne, a fellow traveler who joined me on the ride, and I screamed our hearts out as we reached 100km an hour flying through the jungle in the safety of the swing.

Minjin Swing (AJ Hacket in Cairns)
    • Bungy Jumping

Salty’s Dive shop and the Venus II

by darthmilmo Updated Apr 4, 2011

Salty’s is a PADI certified dive shop that caters to both English and Japanese speakers. Venus II is the vessel that took us to the Southern Great Barrier Reef on a trip of a lifetime. It went on for 3 magical nights and 3 wonderful days. Circus Kris was the British instructor in charge of the diving on the boat. Throughout the next few days, the small group of divers and non-divers onboard became like a family. Ashley was the Captain and Andy was the second-mate as well as being one of the best cooks in Australia.

Diving was great! We got to see so many exotic fish, sharks, turtles, corral, crustaceans, and more. We dove on several amazing places in and around several islands located in the southern Great Barrier Reef. We dove inside and outside the lagoon at Lady Musgrave Island, on the unprotected beautiful reefs around Lady Elliot, and dozen of more sites.

The trip offers more then diving. We got to see humpback whales on their migration path, a school of dolphins swimming along the boat, several curious sea turtles showing their head above the water, and more. We also got a few excursions into several of the islands. We had a few hours to walk on the infamous Lady Musgrave Island. We also were among the last tourists to walk on Fairfax Island before it closed down as an exclusive natural bird sanctuary.

In between dives, whenever we had some leftover energy (which is not common) we went out snorkeling. It is true what they say, you sometimes see more snorkeling then diving. On one occasion, Sandra and I saw even followed a turtle that showed us the way to a giant sting ray, then it in turn led us to 5 more turtles in a row; finally we saw a small white tip shark before we had to swim back to the boat.

The trip on board the Venus II was not only amazing, but unbelievable cheap. For the price of a regular dive trip we got to see more things that usually cost more money. This include whale watching, diving off Lady Eliot Island, as well as a visit to Lady Musgrave Island!

Getting ready to go underwater!

• Rugby

by Robert11729 Updated Dec 2, 2003

Australian Rugby is a great australian sport i advise you to at least goto a game....if you are looking to see a great rugby game there isnt anything better than Australia Vs. New Zealand. Ok ill take that back lol Australia Vs. England was a great game :) Too bad australia lost :(

• Amelei's Profile Photo

AnNuaL BeEr fESt- BrIsBAnE! RNA SHOW GROUNDS

by Amelei Updated Jan 17, 2005

For the first Time Ever in Australia, taste your way around a nation.
    Over 150 Great Aussie Brews on Tap in the one room at the same time!

Do not cease to drink beer, to eat, to intoxicate thyself, to make love, and celebrate the good days.
    Ancient Egypt

§ But if at church they would give some ale And a pleasant fire our souls to regale We’d sing and we’d pray all the live long day, Nor ever once from the church to stray.
    William Blake

§ Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
    Kaiser Wilhelm

§ Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer.
    Frederick the Great

§ Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

§ This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord has intended a more divine form of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to His bounty be learning about beer.
    Friar Tuck

§ From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.|
    Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

§ I work until beer o’clock.
    Steven King

§ Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer.
    Henry Lawson

§ I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken for me.
    Winston Churchill

§ Fill with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain. Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies, Come to life and fade away: What care I how time advances? I am drinking ale today.
    Edgar Allan Poe

§ A full beer is a perfect beer.
    Tim Russman

§ There may be a few good men who don't drink, but they've got to prove it.
    Col. Lincoln Karmany, USMC

§ 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
    Stephen Wright
    LOVE IT HAHA

§ You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
    Frank Zappa

Equipment: ADMISSION PRICE: $10 per day
    BEER PRICES: $3.30 per pot for all beers including high alochol beers such as Moonshine. (discounts for multiple purchase of beer tickets).
    WHERE TO GET TICKETS: Admission Tickets can be purchased on arrival at the front gate. Beer tickets can be purchased once inside the venue.

Bring an iron belly

We're all here drinking beer drinking beer ......
    • Beer Tasting

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Surfing

by iandsmith Updated Jan 22, 2003

Yes, you heard right, Australia does have great beaches and, if it's onshore on one side of the island well, there's always the other! (Only joking of course.)
    For many years I surfed and still like watching it and I have to say, perhaps a little biased, that we really do have some of the world's most gorgeous seashore.
    Does my photo lie?

Equipment: You can ride the waves with your body, with fins on your hands, with a body board (called lid riders), short board, long board (malibu), surf ski, windsurfer or kite surfer. Heck, I've even surfed in the catamaran I used to own. It's a wonderful sport and life but, if it's your first time, do learn the ways of the surf before you go in. Every year a couple of dozen tourists drown through ignorance, don't add to the statistic.

Northern N.S.W. coast

425 Reviews - 942 Photos
Magnetic Island Hotels
79 Reviews - 120 Photos

Instant Answers: Australia

Comments

Australia Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Australia sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Australia sightseeing.
Map of Australia