Balmain Travel Guide

Liz at Thornton Park (November 2010)
    At the Pub with No Name
    Beautiful and peaceful

Balmain Things to Do

by cjg1 Updated Apr 22, 2013

St. Andrews Church is one of the old churches we encountered during our exploration of Balmain. The church is an old structure dating back to the 1800's. My wife is a fan of old churches and this one was a nice find.

by cjg1 Updated Jan 5, 2011

Thornton Park is right at the landing Wharf for the ferry. The park has beautiful views of the harbour and the city. Throughout the park are benches, grassy sitting areas, shady trees and a large flower garden. My wife and I spent some time here admiring the views and wandering amonst the lovely trees and flowers.

Beautiful and peaceful What a view View of the Bridge

• Balmain Hotels

0 Hotels in Balmain

Balmain Restaurants

by cjg1 Updated Feb 8, 2012

Pub with No Name was just reopened four months ago with new owners; two brothers (great guys we had a lot of fun with them). The Pub specializes in Belgian beer and has just about every type you could want. My wife is a Belgian Beer nut so this place made her incredibly happy especially since they had some of her favorites; Stella, Leffe Blonde, Orval, Chimay Rouge.

The pub itself is right on a main street and is very large. They have several dining areas throughout including an outdoor area in back as well as bar seating. We first came here for drinks but then decided to come back later for a meal. One of the owners told us his mussels were amazing so we had to try them out.

Our first visit here we just had drinks at the bar. We started with a favorite of ours; Leffe Blonde. Afterwards Liz moved onto another of her favorites; Chimay Rouge. My wife was happy to see that there was a nice selection of beer on tap as well as bottles each type with their own special serving glass. They also had a book that listed each beer they served with a description of its flavor, aroma, country of origin and alcohol volume.

When we returned for dinner we had to try the mussels that the owner raved about. We had a seat at a bar table and ordered some mussels. The mussels were served in large Belgian pots with chips and mayo for dipping. The mussels were cooks in the Provencal style and the smell was amazing. The mussels themselves were fresh tasting and so delicious cooked in that flavorful broth. The chips I must say are the best I have had in Sydney hands down. My wife loved the mussels here and has said that this was the best mussels she had had in her travels; and that says a lot.

To me this was a hidden gem with good food, good beer and great people.

Favorite Dish: The mussels were outstanding!

Yum, delicious mussels Tasty fries

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

by cybergenic Updated Jun 12, 2004

Swish interior, freindly staff, outdoor heating, quite spacious.

Favorite Dish: Calamari & Fries (Raff 7/10) under cooked
    Calamari & Fries (Me 8/10) Yummy
    Baby Octopus Salad (Me 9/10) Wicked
    Haloumi Pine Nut Stack (Julie 7/10) Enjoyed but was dissapointed that the pine nuts were not roasted!

Suggested Refreshment : Beer
    James Squire is a good local ale.

Raff recharging on the balcony
    • Beer Tasting

• Don't Forget Insurance

If your current health insurance doesn't cover you while your abroad, you should consider getting international travel insurance just in case something should go wrong.

Balmain Nightlife

by cjg1 Updated Feb 8, 2012

The atmosphere here is exactly what I look for in a pub/restaurant; casual and comfortable.

Dress Code: Casual

Liz and her Chimay Rouge (November 2010) My wife and her Blonde

Balmain Transportation

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

The best way to get to Balmain in my opinion; is by ferry. The ferry leaves from Circular Quay and is a nice trip across the harbor to Balmain. My wife and I love riding the ferry; it’s a great way to get where you want as well as having a pleasure cruise.

Liz and I on the ferry to Balmain (11/2010)

by cjg1 Updated Dec 15, 2010

Walking around Balmain is a great way to find little shops, monuments and see some of the interesting architecture on the houses and churches. Be prepared there are some step hills in Balmain; wear your walking shoes.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Balmain? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Balmain

Comments

Balmain Travel Guide
Map of Balmain