Bellingen Off The Beaten Path

First settlers

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Bellingen

# 3 - PROMISED LAND LOOP

Never, Never creek

From the Promised Land, we travel on dirt road in amongst some rainforest and ordinary state forest. Here we come across a wooden one -lane bridge which crosses the Never, Never Creek, not much of a Creek at the moment, but it could be very different in Winter when it's the rainy season.
    Across the other side, we could pull off and park the car. Here was the Angel Gabriel Capararo Reserve. I walked back to the creek and found it to be rather pretty! Washed boulders from water passing over them, pools that would be great for a hot summers day and bush walks, what a nice spot for a hot day!
    That was our last stop on the drive. It was time to sit back and enjoy the views as we came back into Bellingen

• Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

# PART 2 - PROMISED LAND LOOP

The Promised Land

Time to move on from Gleniffer. Back in the car and travelling on dirt road, we cross a small stream and then head through rolling hills where cattle are grazing. In the background is a forested Mountain range with some interesting cliff formations, worth a few photos for sure! What makes it extra special, are the flowering Jacaranda trees scattered around the countryside.
    We arrive at the Promised Land and really don't realize it, as all that is there, are houses with Promised Land on their letterboxes. What gorgeous views they have! Somewhere in the Promised land, Pianist "David Helfgott" now lives.

More on the Promised Land scenic loop in Part 3

• Photography

# PART 1 PROMISED LAND LOOP

Glennifer Church

Even though I had been to Bellingen many times before, I never knew there was a settlement known as Promised Land. It was through one of the brochures from the Info centre, that I found out about it.

The drive is 31kms, and begins at Bridge street by the Post office. It takes you over the Bellinger river and onto the Glennifer road, to little village or Church along the way.

At the start we travelled on bitumen road through a large stand of trees and past farmland, a very nice beginning to the drive. From here, we start to climb and are on maintained dirt road which leads through Tucker's Nob State forest. It is all tall trees. Coming out of the forest, we looked down onto the lush green flat where cows were grazing, some farm houses were dotted around and there was a little church. On arrival, we stopped at the church and had a look. This was the Glennifer Church, a small church with a picket fence, it looked great!
    On my walk around I found a plaque stating a Time Capsule had been buried to be opened in 2063 celebrating 200 years of settlement in this valley.
    I found other stones with names of first settlers, and across the road, a herd of cows very interested in what I was doing!

The road we are on, is a loop road, beginning and ending in Bellingen.

More on Part 2 about the scenic drive

THE WATERFALL WAY

by balhannah Written Nov 6, 2013

This is a beautiful scenic drive that takes you through National Parks and to many waterfalls.
    All my photo's I need to scan, so I have just the pamphlet.
    This drive is best done after rains when the waterfalls will be running. One you will see, "Wollomombi Falls" is one of Australias highest waterfalls. Ebor falls are a pretty two tiered fall, pretty at any time, and so are Dangar falls. There are others and lots of walks to do in the National Parks. One of Australias prettiest areas!

The route is from Bellingen to Armidale.

• Motorcycle
    • National/State Park

• unravelau's Profile Photo

Well, this sign only slightly indicates where to

by unravelau Written Dec 11, 2003

The Promised Land

find it............. Years ago, when I lived here I took the kids for a swim out to never, never crk (that's another story), and not wanting to come home straight away we went investigating some of the Bellingen backroads. After about 10 minutes driving we came to this sign that indicated that "the promised land" was down below the ground..... Well, I followed the road where I thought it meant I was to find this township and it turns out that it is a loop road...........in other words it goes and comes back........LOL. On the way back though (so many years ago) came across a huge red bellied black snake (one of the most venomous here)..........just sunning itself right across the road. There wasn't any space to get around either side so we waited until it had had enough sun and proceeded on its way...............then we did too................no skidding on snakes for this vegemite.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Bellingen

Comments

Bellingen Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Bellingen off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bellingen sightseeing.