Bundanoon Things to Do

Bundanoon's Soldiers Memorial Hall

Photo 1: Soldiers Memorial Hall
    Photo 2: The Bundanoon Community Quilt
    Photo 3: Main street, Bundanoon
    Photo 4: Sign at the station. How are horse riders to catch the train?
    Photo 5: Fire truck passing Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe

Bundanoon isn’t large, but I was told that the main street ”has some interesting shops” (it turned out that Pauline actually meant the word ‘craft’ – to me “interesting” means books, cameras or hardware LOL).

The Soldiers’ Memorial Hall is just a corner down from the Bicycle Shoppe. It was closed during our visit, but just inside the glass doors was a large quilt in a display case. My polarising filter was not handy, so the inevitable reflections prevent my photo (2) from doing the quilt justice. It was made as a “community quilt” and shows aspects of Bundanoon - and was good enough to take first prize at the 2007 Sydney Quilt Show!

I was suitably desolated that we had no opportunity to visit any craft-related shops, but I contained my disappointment by taking a photo (3) of the main shopping area. I always enjoy interesting signs, the one outside the station (4) saying“No Horses” was too hard to resist. Too bad if you just rode to the station to catch the train! As we walked back to our car, parked near the Olde Bicycle Shoppe, a fire truck went past with lights flashing and siren on – not far away furious efforts were being made to control a major bushfire in the Morton National Park.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo

Have a coffee

by tiabunna Written Feb 12, 2009

Testing coffee for VT

Our top priority was to have a coffee at Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe. It’s been there for many years and, while the main subject of conversation once may have been “how are your spokes?”, it’s now “how do you want your coffee?” ! Yes, coffee culture is alive and well in Bundanoon and they do a fine job of producing a flat white here! More specifically, we had arranged a meeting with VTer Wal (Adagio1).

When we arrived Wal, who is a local resident, was waiting for us. Fortunately he had managed to capture a table, as the place was near full. Our time together flashed by very quickly, as always seems the case when VTers meet and chat … As we left, Wal gave us some directions for our travels (photo 2)

Coffee prices were about the standard $3.50-4.00 AUD and the quality was excellent. No wonder the place is kept busy!

• Adagio1's Profile Photo

Walks and Bicycling

by Adagio1 Updated Feb 4, 2008

Ye olde Bicycle Shoppe - great coffee

Bundanoon is just a wonderful place for people who love to walk. There are serious bush walks through Morton National Park. Do let the ranger or someone responsible know where you are going and when you expect to get back. Around the village there are many short walks an unusual one is to the Glow Worm Glen. At the end of this walk you come to an open ended cave where glow worms can be seen twinkling in the darker areas.

As many of the residents are very property proud those visitors interested in gardens will be pleasantly surprised.

For me I think the most fun thing you can do is hire a bike and wander along the many roads and pathways. The local cemetery is quite interesting in an historic way.

• Adagio1's Profile Photo

Walks and Bicycling

by Adagio1 Written Feb 3, 2008

Post mail, buy a coffee or hire a bike

Badgery's continued

View of the carpark

The opening shot gives you a good indication of the carpark there though it doesn't show the toilets which are convenient but not all that well maintained.
    The next shot is a telephoto looking down to the river which you can access by walking the spur trail (pic 4). It's a fairly strenuous walk so unless you're fit you wouldn't want to descend the almost 500 vertical metres to the water.
    Pic 3 gives you some idea of just how rugged some of the country is and why it pays not to stray too far from made tracks.
    Of course, if you're like us (pic 5), you can simply put on the kettle and relax inside your comfortable motorhome.

Wildflowers

Love those gum trees

The spectacular overview of the Shoalhaven River looking from Bungonia Gorge down towards the coast is well worth a diversion as shown in the previous tip.
    There's more to look at than just that however and the dimunitive wild flowers that dot the Australian bush scene are on view here though somewhat sparse around the lookout itself.
    It never ceases to amaze me how some of these delicate plants, especially like the bush orchid in picture 3, cling to survival in this tough landscape.

Canyon land

Down the Shoalhaven

There was a lookout on the map that looked enticing. It was somewhat south of Bundanoon and its name was Long Point. Apparently it has better facilities than the one I ended up at because it's in the Morton National Park.
    In fact, the one I ended up at had little publicity for that very same reason. What was even sadder was that I asked at least three people at Bundanoon and no-one knew anything about them.
    So I ended up taking pot luck, as one does, and some times you come up with the goods.
    Badgery's Lookout was a find.

Sunrise Point

by iandsmith Written Nov 3, 2006

Make a point of being there at sunrise

I'd tried to get a shot here the first time I came. Cloud, rain and drifting mist served to negate this option. All that after I'd risen early. I wasn't happy.
    A lookout with such a name must be a worthy sight I imagained.
    In truth, when I returned in more favourable circumstances, it was just an average lookout. Worth a stop but not much more. I could vision that, with certain cloud formations, it might be something worthwhile but there were certainly better ones nearby.
    At least you can drive right there so you don't waste a long walk.

Mount Carnarvon

Rustic sign, rustic trail

This is your classic Aussie bushwalk, albeit a relatively short one.
    We were a little put out to see people coming back who said it was too much for them but, as one of them required a cane, we realised eventually what had happened.
    It transpires that there's a steepish tricky section of bush steps but it can be traversed by anyone who can walk reasonably.
    The trail takes you to Mount Carnarvon but, to be quite frank, we found it a little disappointing. There's no grand overview like the nearby Echo Point and the joy is more in the walk itself, particularly in spring when you can enjoy the wildflowers as shown in my other pictures.

Echo Point

by iandsmith Written Nov 3, 2006

Rosemarie looking in the wrong direction

This is one of the lookouts quite near Bundanoon, in the national park whose entrance can almost be seen from the CBD.
    This is quite easy to get to as the road goes right there and you don't have to walk other than alighting from your vehicle and stretching your legs.
    It's one of the better viewpoints in the area, in fact I'd suggest it is the best depending on what you're looking for.
    As you will note in the second and third pic, it offers a vast panorama from the edge of the escarpment over the gorges that lead to the Shoalhaven River.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Open by name, open by nature

by iandsmith Updated Nov 3, 2006

Open House of Bundanoon boasts a fantastic selection of gifts for all occasions.
    From homewares to linen, including a great range of children's puzzles and toys. This is your typical touristy arty crafty type place of the kind you come to expect in the Southern Highlands.
    Don't forget, bring your credit card.

• Women's Travel

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Will the last one out please turn off the lights

Hello, anybody home?

Bundanoon Pottery & Gallery is basically the last shop in THE block that is the CBD of Bondanoon. Unfortunately, despite its enticing appearance, there was no-one in attendance the day I was there and subsequent attempts to glean information have proved fruitless.
    It's either a very successful business that doesn't need to advertise or someone who's never heard of marketing.

An experience to treasure

by iandsmith Updated Aug 30, 2006

Hardly sighted, often heard

I'll quote you here from an email I sent at the time:
    "When I returned up the steps and back to the motorhome where I’d left Rosemarie I was removing my footwear when I heard so many birds I had to stop and listen to their raucous cries. Currawongs, whipbirds, wrens, kookaburras and at least half a dozen others were nearby. However, it was when I heard the kookaburra laughing that my mind started to whirl. A kookaburra chanting when it’s raining? As the gears synchronized in my head I realised all shrill notes were coming from the same spot. Could it be what I was thinking? It was, how fabulous. All the cries were coming from a rampant lyre bird, the king of bird song and the ultimate mimic of sounds. For around ten minutes, as Rosemarie and I got progressively closer, his shrill sounds penetrated every corner of the forest and kept us entranced. It’s moments like these that one realises why the bush is so wonderful."
    The proper name is Superb Lyrebird (Menura Novaehollandiae).

• Birdwatching

Architecture

by iandsmith Written Aug 29, 2006

Disused restaurant

Around the traps there's titbits of interesting architecture.
    This attractive two storey place is near the easternmost railway bridge, though its days as a restaurant are obviously gone. The marks left by this use make it very photogenic however and the renovated classic cottage on the other side of the tracks was also attractive but for the opposite reasons.

• Trains

The colour of Bundanoon

by iandsmith Written Aug 29, 2006

Mossy layer

There are some lovely colours around in Bundanoon, most notably in spring when the bedding blooms appear and the cherry pink and apple blossom white make their presence felt, along with the magnolia (pic 2).
    In the forest other plants stand out, most notably the wattle (pic 3) and, if you keep your eyes peeled, mossy growth on the sandstone outcrops.

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Bundanoon

Comments

Bundanoon Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Bundanoon things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bundanoon sightseeing.