Coogee Nightlife

CBH
    by Josilver
  • Sunset through the Palms at Coogee Bay Hotel
    Sunset through the Palms at Coogee Bay...
    by aussiedoug
    Daytime Beach Palace looking quiet
    by aussiedoug

Best Rated Nightlife in Coogee

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Beach Palace Hotel: Partying at the Palace

by aussiedoug Written Nov 8, 2004

Daytime Beach Palace looking quiet

Those of you who've visited my pages before will be falling off your seats at not 1, but 2 nightlife tips from Doug!!!!

Yes, being a married man with twin girls almost 6 years old I?we don't get out much of a night time.

However, we were having dinner at the Fed Cafe & Grill which is part of this complex & our group sat there for about 3 hours watching the young & glamorous (& not so glamorous too. lol!) just roll up one after another, usually in groups of about 4. Many had to show their I.D.'s to prove they were 18 years old. Now that's good news for all you Americans who have to be 21 to get into a place that serves alcohol.

Given the quantity of young people streaming into this place it was painfully obvious that the Beach Palace Hotel with its 7 bars, 3 levels, 2 restaurant & 1 beach (hey their words not mine!) was one happening place.

Go check their website for more specific info. I had a squiz at it at it seems as though they have lots of different things happening to cater for all tastes from dancing to drinking & playing pool.

Dress Code: Neat casual seemed to be the order of the evening. Although no thongs/flip flops were evident.

Also, as seems to be the case everywhere, the young women were looking a lot better dressed than the guys.

Perhaps we could describe their attire as casually elegant.

Lots of surfwear brand clothing evident too, but again everyone looked neat & tidy.

There were two guys manning the entrance checking not only age I.D.'s, but also whether people looked o.k. to get in.

• Beaches
    • Work Abroad

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Coogee Bay Hotel: Legendary Sydney Nightspot

by aussiedoug Updated Nov 14, 2004

Sunset through the Palms at Coogee Bay Hotel

I don't use the word "legendary" very lightly as I believe in the media, particularly relating to sportspeople, but the Coogee Bay Hotel which has been established, in one form or another, for over 120 years has been a well known venue for drinks & entertainment ever since I've lived in Sydney. I dare say it had that reputation for a long, long time before I moved to Sydney too. lol!

Once upon a time it had a gr8 reputation as a band venue, remember famous Aussie rockers like Jimmy Barnes & Cold Chisel performing here. I think it was Selinas at the Coogee Bay Hotel. Must check with fellow Sydney VTer Dave (aka laughingsun69) as he tells me he spent a bit of time there in his younger days). Don't know if that's the case today so I suggest you check their website out to see what it says in regard to entertainment.

Please enlarge the photo I've atttached. It's one of 2 I snapped as we left the Hotel to go have dinner & it';s really pretty with the sunset being seen through the Palm Trees.

Dress Code: You don't have to get dressed up at all if you want to pop in through the day & have a drink in the Beer Garden & look over the road to the waves. Sounds pretty good eh?

We were there having a few drinks before the group of us went out to dinner & we saw most people in fairly relaxed dress, but still looking quite good. I guess it's up to you how far you get dressed up, or down.

• Work Abroad
    • Beaches
    • Beer Tasting

• Josilver's Profile Photo

Coogee Bay hotel: Coogee Bay Hotel

by Josilver Written Jul 25, 2006

CBH

Nearly everybody who visits Coogee goes away with a story that starts "one night in the Coogee Bay hotel......" This is where backpackers, tourists, locals and any one who want a good time meets any night of the week. It is famous for its beer garden which is a great place to watch big sporting events on the big screen. I watched the final of the rugby world cup here with a few hundred ecstatic english and distraught Aussies ( Damn you Johny). Also a good place to chill out on a sunday afternoon, I think they have a live band most sunday afternoons.

Instant Answers: Coogee

Comments

Coogee Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Coogee nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Coogee sightseeing.