Currarong Sports & Outdoors

• My Mother with her flathead caught with a rod
    My Mother with her flathead caught with...
    by unravelau

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Currarong

• unravelau's Profile Photo

I have a photo somewhere of a big fish

by unravelau Updated Apr 6, 2007

My Mother with her flathead caught with a rod

My parents enjoyed a bit of fishing. Well a lot of fishing really. Indeed it was a daily event for them. I seem to remember that my Dad was never far from a book and would also read while fishing. Mum on the other hand was a more serious fisher. I had never before (nor since) seen a flathead the size of the one that Mother caught one day.....it (the photo not the fish) is preserved in another one of these magnificent photographs.....I am looking for it. I wonder if the fishing is still as good as it was then.

Equipment: Currarong would probably have a variety of shops to purchase anything that you might need....it is not an isolated little township any more if I can believe some of the www sites that talk about it to-day.

Update, update.

You can indeed get most things that you require at Currarong but only in small bits. It has grown in holiday accommodation but not much else. The general store still exists but for choice you would bring your major groceries with you.... There is a bottle shop and the seafood cafe, a bowling club and I found the most interesting little craft shop....a converted garage. Some ladies of the township, run it and are busy with knitting and crochet goods. There are some lovely painting and a few good photos, framed for sale to be found.

If you need to shop until you drop you would do it elsewhere. This really is the ultimate, get away from it all in that sense.

• School Holidays

• unravelau's Profile Photo

Prawns, yep, raw prawns

by unravelau Written Aug 5, 2006

I distinctly remember being woken up, rugged up, carted out and taken on prawning adventures. There would be the caravan of vehicles full of relations, kerosene tins, lamps, towels etc., etc., all bundled up and finally deposited somewhere (I thought that it was a secret place because everyone whispered ha, ha, ha) right on the water. I can remember wading through shallow water and seeing prawns by their hundreds swimming around my feet. It was an eerie sight to behold all of these kero lamps and shadowy figures silently marauding the depths....well not really deep either.

After a time the clan congregated on the shore and built a fire ..... boiled the kero tins full of water and boiled the prawns.......no longer raw prawns.... The family would have a nibble on a few hot ones and for the next few days we would have prawn this, prawn that and prawn something else. The jokes about non raw prawns would come thick and fast - I can remember really enjoying those feasts. I have a lot of trouble even liking the smell of prawns now or any other crustacean. It must be due to these early experiences that I even eat any prawns....and then I only eat a few school prawns in an omelette or fried rice.

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Currarong

Comments

Currarong Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Currarong sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Currarong sightseeing.