Doon Doon Travel Guide

Kimberley rose
    The long way south

Doon Doon Things to Do

by iandsmith Written Sep 14, 2009

I'd seen it in a book in Broome and it whetted my appetite. Trouble was, I couldn't find out where it was exactly.
    Google let me down and it wasn't on maps. What to do? I put it in the back of my mind but kept asking. Then I saw an advertising brochure for chopper rides and, lo and behold, it was listed as being a place they flew over.
    Eventually, I got to Turkey Creek and the chopper ride out to the Bungle Bungle. I asked the pilots if they knew. They certainly did. Not only that, they kindly printed out a map for me after I ascertained that it would have cost me about $1,000 for the flight.
    It appeared as though I could drive there and, so I did.
    The road, it must be said, isn't one I'd recommend for the faint hearted. It's mostly round pebbles and there are some dry creek crossing but I have been on worse.
    Though I didn't drive all the way I did manage to get a couple of shots with my telephoto of the part that most photos concentrate on.

• National/State Park

The long way south

by iandsmith Updated Aug 31, 2008

What's to do in Doon Doon. Well, bugger all really. It's there because a mine happens to be nearby and there's a roadhouse to catch some passing traffic. The roadhouse does have a rather up-to-date caravan park, very clean and very cheap, however, so it's not all doom and gloom and, for those in the know, one of the great sights of the Kimberley can be found nearby.
    Before I visited that I came across a procession of camels. This couple were driving them all the way to Melbourne, raising money for a children's hospital. How many thousands of kilometres I'm not sure but these are the type of eccentrics you meet in the outback. I gave them a donation.
    These pages are actually mistakes. They're meant to be in my W.A. pages but VT haven't listed them as yet.

• Seniors

Kimberley rose 1 more image

by iandsmith Written Aug 31, 2008

The road trains here are as big as they get (pic 2). Frankly it scares me that the law allows pushbikes and these monsters on the same road at the same time.
    Another thing I came across was something I'd tried to photograph for weeks during my Kimberley cruise. It's a flower known as the "Kimberley Rose" but has nothing in common with a rose at all other than the fact that it has a flower.
    It's actually part of the Kurrajong family, brachychiton vicidulus if you want to be pedantic. It was the first time I'd been able to get up close and personal to one of them.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Doon Doon

Comments

Doon Doon Travel Guide
Map of Doon Doon