Dorrigo Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Dorrigo

The labyrinth

by iandsmith Written Mar 22, 2014
    Dorrigo labyrinth

Labyrinth comes from Ancient Greece or, more specifically, Knossos in Crete where the Greek hero Theseus got into the puzzle and slew the minotaur before heading off with Ariadne, the daughter of the ruler of Crete. Unfortunately, for her, he dumped her on the island of Naxos and sailed off home to Athens. However, in what may be termed just desserts, Theseus' father committed suicide when he saw his son's ship coming home with a black sail which meant the death of the owner. All that had happened though was that the white one had been torn.
    The labyrinth had been designed by Daedelus to hold the mythical half man, half bull called the minotaur.
    Christians hijacked the puzzle and utilized them as meaning a path to god whereby you walk around it and contemplate the meaning of our existence and things on a higher plane.
    There's such and example in my France pages and my Italian pages of another old one.
    This one is located at the back of the park where people go to view Dangar Falls and is generally overlooked by the masses.

Ebor Falls revisited

by iandsmith Written Mar 21, 2014

View of the lower falls

.From my 2nd excursion - "I harboured a faint hope of getting to the lower falls, though it was tough getting back to the rim, up the chute and then walking along and plunging more deeply and steeply to get to the lower cascades.
    I didn’t rush, age precluded such things these days, but I worked steadily and thoughtfully down, over slippery tussocks, grabbing rocks and fallen trees where appropriate and surveying the route ahead constantly.
    Glimpses of the lower falls taunted me and I occasionally stopped for a picture but the thought of unpacking the backpack and setting up tripods limited my keenness. Going down required constant vigilance and always in the back of my mind was that a photographer had died here last year.
    Even when you reach the bottom it doesn’t get any easier. The large boulders that have found their their way to the river means you are constantly scaling them, trampling through blackberry vines and fording the waters in an attempt to make headway upstream.
    On this day the rewards were manifestly apparent as I viewed the results on the back of my camera from time to time. I kept shooting at every potential spot, well knowing the conditions were apt to change shortly. Fleetingly the sun pushed its rays through the moist screen but then the uplifted droplets would drift to close the gap.
    The rocks made sure you had to use all your motion muscles to make headway but I kept finding routes until you get so close that there’s a constant spray, droplets so tiny they’re almost invisible, borne on the wind created by the force of the upstream torrent. It’s a surreal environment where vegetation like moss and ferns find a permanent footing, rebounding at times from the floods that occasionally torment their home.
    The rushing noise, the sparkling droplets, the water etching its way through the boulders, the backdrop of lush foliage, the fog –laden sky and the cliff face that reflects its tortured volcanic past all combine down here to make you feel you are somewhere special. Martiam, “the great falls”, is what the aborigines called them and looking up at the basaltic columnar flutes, remnants of the long extinct Ebor volcano, it’s easy to detect an air of greatness.
    Using a more benign rock as a bench, I paused to reflect on more than the walk; I paused to soak up the thought of “being there”, to let the aura of the bush envelop my soul and flush out the madness of suburbia, I paused to rekindle the spirit, to dwell on the insignificance of man in a place such as this and let the mist scour any tension and take it to drift on the never ending convection currents of the gorge. As someone once remarked, “You can feel your worries rolling down the hill”.
    Thus refreshed, I had to return to the unenviable task of scaling the wall. Unable to locate the thin track I had used on the descent, I stopped frequently to gather my breath, constantly reminding myself that there was no urgency in my task but being haunted by the knowledge that it would be so much easier when I reached the flat sealed path on the rim.
    My hiking shoes that had served me so well from Tasmania to France literally were coming apart at the seams; slips occurred often and energy was being sapped at an alarming rate. Though I’d refilled my bidon from the stream it was empty again and I was thirsty, not helped by the sweat trickling from beneath my hat.
    When I made the track I collapsed and, using my backpack for a pillow, lay down in the forlorn hope that someone might come by and have some fluid to spare. It never happened."

Cathedral Rocks National Park

by iandsmith Written Mar 17, 2014
    Dramatic face of Cathedral Rocks

I have no idea how long it had been since I last visited this park but, since I was involved in a project that required photos of the area, I decided to go again.
    Early 2014 was a dry time just a few kilometres west but, just a few kilometres east, though it had also been dry, 4 out of 5 days it had rained the previous week.
    Cathedral Rocks was on the borderline as I stepped out on the 5 km loop that takes you almost to the top. The first part of the trail is sandy just before you cross a swamp. Then it's onwards and upwards.
    Steps are inserted where the trail gets a little steep and then you reach THE INTERSECTION.
    This is where you need to make a decision. If you're fit you might choose the option to climb to the top. WARNING - it is steep!
    If you're unsure of foot, this option is not recommended. Near the finish you have to skip across granite boulders and grab chains. It's arduous and tortuous but very rewarding when you reach the summit; just try and avoid being there in a thunderstorm like I was about to encounter!

Cascade of another kind

by iandsmith Updated Jul 20, 2013
    A swimming hole just down the road

North of Dorrigo, on a forlorn drive along a dirt road, we rolled past two what-were-once-towns based on timber mills. Briggsvale hove into view first and we stopped, Lorraine pointing out what used to be before we moved on to Cascade where she was born and raised. Both villages, for that is all they are these days, three houses and four residents each, are the last remnants of a once vibrant timber milling industry.
    It was hard to believe that the railway used to pass through here.
    The now abandoned stations, such as they were, are now overgrown, as clearly shown in the pictures and a potential savior in the form of the Dorrigo railway fell apart about 30 years ago.
    Most of the area is national park these days and visitors are few though you can take the through road and end up at Coffs Harbour if you just want a drive by.

Another day of fungi

by iandsmith Written Mar 11, 2013
    Fungi at Dorrigo NP

It had been raining; lord knows, for weeks. Flooding rains across the coast of Queensland and N.S.W. Most people see only misery; I immediately think of two things, waterfalls and fungi. How happy was I when my partner Lorraine suggested we head to Dorrigo after the road opened on the first day when hardly any rain fell.
    We got our shots, sometimes going off piste, on the most popular walk at Dorrigo Rainforest Centre, the Wonga Walk loop encompassing Crystal Shower and Tristania Falls. It takes about 2 1/2 hours; took us nearly five with all the pictures we were taking.
    The track is all sealed bar about 100 metres and the walking easy. Best way is to go via Tristania first then the uphill section is easier.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

Woolpack Rocks, reaching the top

by iandsmith Written May 9, 2011
    Cool, splashing waters

continued -
    "We moved on up the climb though I sidetracked down to a streamlet that gurgled attractively enough to lure me to its cool splashing waters, drooping ferns and decaying branches. It wasn’t a permanent stream but it was nice when it did run.
    It sits at the bottom of the granite outcrop called Woolpack Rocks and the trail immediately begins its uphill transition though it takes less than ten minutes to ascend the trail, at times through narrow clefts and up ladders.
    On high it’s a different world. The vegetation is negligible; it’s the rocks and their endless variety of shapes that grab your attention. On the exposed portions the wind was noticeable, its cooling effect in contrast to the sweat I had exuded on the climb. There was no life save for an eagle that appeared and soared around the outcrop on the updraft, eyes keenly focused for the possible movement of prey below, its tufted wingtips flexing in the breeze.
    Your mind starts to drift in places like this. Life’s problems take on a different dimension; the vastness of the continent is clearly visible from on high; there’s time for reflection as you recharge your mind.
    After about 45 minutes on top it was time to leave, but the memory lingers still of another place in Australia’s wilderness where the scars of time are there to be seen yet, somehow, the granite seems timeless."

Woolpack Rocks

by iandsmith Updated May 9, 2011
    Nearly at the top - Woolpack Rocks

To visit Woolpack Rocks you travel on the Ebor-Guyra Road before turning off onto the road to Native Dog Creek Rest Area. There are both camping and picnic sites at the rest area, fees apply.
    The following is from my first trip to the walk:
    "It had rained; lord it had rained. The portents in the form of thunder had been around for hours before it finally arrived but arrive it did, some time in the middle of the night.
    I awoke about 4 a.m. and wondered if I’d be able to drive off the area I was in at, wait for it, the local cemetery. Though the rain was heavy and noisy I wasn’t bothered by neighbours.
    I later learned from a guy who stayed at the local caravan park just a few hundred metres away that he’d had to slosh around in mud. Me, I had the grassiest field in all of Dorrigo.
    Still, it looked like my mooted walk to Woolpack Rocks, a place I’d never seen before, was in serious jeopardy. I’d been to Cathedral Rocks twice before but Woolpack had eluded me. I stayed awake and watched the European football featuring yet some more Messi magic before I had my bowl of Weetbix just as the heavens took pity on me.
    The sun was desperately trying to shine and push the clouds away and it eventually succeeded, thus opening the door to the day’s expedition. Dorrigo was where I had a cup of hot chocolate, meeting the Argentinean with the exotic bike collection and a wealth of life knowledge that he was only too happy to dispense to you, whether you wanted to hear it or not. Why his life had led him so far away to a secluded village atop the Great Dividing Range would be a story I had not enough time for so I headed off as soon as I’d downed the beverage.
    At the start of the walk I met up with Julie and her son Dylan, both of whom were familiar with a bushwalking site I was on and we walked off together through the bush and swamp land that alternated until we started to climb and it was here we came across two National Parks workers, one of whom had taken the famous photographs of Ebor Falls when they had iced up completely a few years ago. The pictures made the front page of all the local papers, with good reason, as the event is an extreme rarity."

• Birdwatching

A cow of a life

by iandsmith Written Jun 18, 2009
    On their way to be milked

Dairy farms have always been a part of the scene here due to the high rainfall producing verdant pasture so there'll always be a rural component to the area.
    The lush green rolling hills are something I always remember about Dorrigo and in these pictures I hope it gives you some idea of why I like just simply driving around the area.
    Most of these were taken on the highway heading west of Dorrigo.

Side trip

by iandsmith Written Jun 4, 2009
    Part of Yarrum Creek Falls

There are a few loops roads around Dorrigo and they take you past some picturesque rural scenery to say the least. Rolling fertile hills with cows grazing contentedly make for pleasant viewing at the worst of times and here is no exception.
    These are some shots I took on a short loop road, only about 8kms or so.

Photography unleashed

by iandsmith Written Jun 4, 2009
    Clear waters of Rosewood River

To get shots like these of Rosewood River you'll definitely be heading off the beaten path. In fact, you may well be treading on places where no man has ever set foot before.
    You'll suffer from wait-a-while vines, slippery footing and tight situations but, the results, for me, are worth it. I hope you agree.
    All these are taken about 2 kilometres above Cedar Falls.

• unravelau's Profile Photo

See the craft people at work.

by unravelau Updated Aug 26, 2005

Timber carving

Just off the main road in Dorigo you will find the unusual and beautiful furniture shop. The entry is marked by this wonderful carved wooden image. It says in a way that if you think this is amazing you haven't seen anything! Go inside and marvel at the works of these artists that create not only functional furniture of high quality but also the most unusual pieces of art to be found anywhere.

Instant Answers: Dorrigo

Comments

Dorrigo Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Dorrigo off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dorrigo sightseeing.