Guy Fawkes Travel Guide

Lace lichen or Spanish Moss

Guy Fawkes Things to Do

Fungus on Lucifers Thumb Walk 4 more images

by iandsmith Updated May 14, 2011

All along the route there are things to see, all you have to do is be tuned in to see them.
    Some people simply tick boxes; others, like myself, prefer to see lots along the way. This, for me, opens up new worlds and makes the walks much more interesting but, it's not for everyone. Here I share with you some of the beautiful birds and flora images that I took en route.

• Photography

View from Wurrang Lookout

by iandsmith Written May 14, 2011

"We later visited Wurrang Lookout because that’s one of two entry points to Jordan’s Trail, a two day hike that starts its descent here and returns up the ridges when you reach Wallaby Point a few kilometres upstream. It was here that we felt the first bite of afternoon chill that pervades these parts in autumn and winter and beckons you to warmer places, such as the fire that our New England friends had already started."

Overall veiw from Chaelundi Bluff 4 more images

by iandsmith Written May 14, 2011

"The relatively mundane sclerophyll forest eventually gave way to the final bare rock of the bluff and immediately convinced us that we had made the right decision to come here. It is unquestionably one of the better panoramas I’ve gazed upon in Australia, this viewpoint giving around 180 degrees of panorama down the valley to where the Guy Fawkes River meets Chaelundi Creek and the truly adventurous can do multi day walks.
    The high points visible from here and listed further down at Misty Creek Lookout are too numerous to mention but Woolpack Rocks, where we’d trekked the previous week, was among them.
    There’s something special about sitting on an outlook such as this with the updraft caressing your face and just the sound of flexing leaves and the occasional bird to disturb the peace. Not even the distant drone of aeroplanes pervades this place, merely the white cloud puffs rolling across the sky, their shadows traversing the ridges and plunging into the canyon floor before effortlessly climbing across the verdant landscape, rent rich green by the recent rains.
    There’s a feeling of spiritual renewal in landscapes and moments such as this and we tarried awhile to soak it up, though I spent some of that time photographing a bird I’d never seen before, the white eared honeyeater."
    You'll have to click on all these pics because they are panoramas.

• Camping

Guy Fawkes Favorites

Chaelundi Falls 4 more images

by iandsmith Written May 14, 2011

Favorite thing: Guy Fawkes River National Park is regarded as a “bio-diversity hotspot”, with over 40 different vegetation communities, 28 threatened plant species, 24 threatened fauna species and significant areas of old-growth forest. The diversity of eucalypt species is especially rich, with over 50 species having been identified within the park.
    Watch for brush-tailed rock wallabies around Misty Creek Lookout and other clifftop lookouts and keep an eye to the sky for hunting wedge-tailed eagles and peregrine falcons.
    Barrier-free facilities are provided so everyone can enjoy camping beside the creek at Chaelundi Camping Area (fees apply). Echidnas, grey kangaroos and glossy blackcockatoos
    are often seen in the woodlands nearby.

Fondest memory: Walking tracks include the spectacular 4.8km return walk to Lucifers Thumb, via Chaelundi Falls, and the longer Escarpment Walk which meanders along the gorge rim providing glimpses to the river 700m below (8km to Spring Gully Picnic Area, 5km return via the road). The more fit and adventurous can try a number of overnight hikes down to the river and back.
    The Bicentennial National Trail traverses the park from Marengo Station in the south to Broadmeadows Station in the north. A detailed guidebook is required for anyone
    planning this remote section of the trail.

The moving mist 4 more images

by iandsmith Updated May 14, 2011

Favorite thing: I revisited the exceptional Chaelundi Bluff, suitably attired for the chill conditions of the brisk morning air.
    The moving white blanket of fog, prodded north by the prevailing wind, shifted along the valley like a giant glacier, from time to time exposing islands in the mist as small hills flaunted themselves in the drifting mass.
    It didn’t seem really cold but perhaps I was just in the correct attire as I sat on the rocks of Chaelundi Bluff while around me the morning birds rose; striated pardalotes, satin bower birds, wattle birds and white faced honeyeaters to name but a few. I later found out it had been minus 2 around 7 o’clock.

Fondest memory: On the way back I revisited Chaelundi Falls, hoping for better light than the previous day and so it turned out to be. The only problem was I descended further than I had previously, going where prudence dictated that I shouldn’t have. Genuinely rock climbing I reached a point where I decided I had a photo that no-one else would get. Problem was, it coincided with my battery life expiring so I never did get that shot.

• Adventure Travel

• Guy Fawkes Hotels

0 Hotels in Guy Fawkes

Instant Answers: Guy Fawkes

Comments

Guy Fawkes Travel Guide
Map of Guy Fawkes