Inverell Off The Beaten Path

Yuk!
    by iandsmith
    At last, I know where I am.....I think.
    Relic of the past

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Inverell

At last, the falls

Some good swimming holes

Kwiambal (pronounced Kigh-am-bal) National Park's main feature and reason for being is Macintyre Falls. Now, these are not your 100 metre-high-plummet, more your trickling-through-granite-and-sometimes-you can't-even-see-the-water type.
    At the carpark there are view points to the gorge below, the best being Beach Lookout.
    The main area below the carpark is ideal for a bush picnic with a small sandy beach and some good swimming holes.
    The walk down is via a boardwalk but, once there, you are into rock-hopping territory.
    There is another road to a spot called Lemon Tree Flat where camping, toilets and tables are available and you can explore the river further by seeking out Severn Falls, The Dungeon and The Junction, none of which is as good as Macintyre.
    A small warning here. If you want to start a fire, you are specifically asked to bring in your own fuel.
    Although the area floods on occasions, you would have to be unlucky. In the driest continent on earth, this is not a common occurence.
    It's a really good area for that Aussie bushwalking experience and, except for long weekends and school holidays, it never gets crowded.

The disappointment

Yuk!

On the brochure, the limestone caves are clearly listed as an attraction. Now, I'll be the first to concede that my time there was limited and perhaps the sign had been misaligned but, I doubt it.
    I'm a bit of a cave lover as you will note in my Italy page but, having visited many in Australia, I have to say this was so bad I would discourage visitors rather than try to attract them.
    As you will note if you blow the photo up, I'm holding my nose. The olfactory senses went into total rejection as I entered the cavern and pungent odour of faecal matter rent the air and made me feel instantly ill.
    Although I bravely held my nose and blundered on a few more steps I could see this cave had nothing to offer remotely close to what I'd hoped for so I beat a hasty retreat and continued my journey.

• Adventure Travel

En route

by iandsmith Written Aug 15, 2004
    At last, I know where I am.....I think.

This was one of those places I'd noticed on a map and decided to visit. Fortunately, unlike Comboyne, I didn't wait 30 years, more like 30 months. I was in a rush!
    I came in from the Warialda side but if you come from the Inverell side you will reach this intersection just as I have.
    From here it's just a short trip along a dirt road to your destination.

• Hiking and Walking

Getting there

Relic of the past

As you drive along the dirt road you may notice some rustic equipment of yesteryear and stop to take a photo, as I, rather obviously, did!

• Farm Stay
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Inverell

Comments

Inverell Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Inverell off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Inverell sightseeing.