The post office, at 119 Lorne St, is considered an unusual design for a postal building, almost reserved by the grandiose standards of some other towns, yet obviously functional. A painted brick, two-storey building, it dates back to the 1880s and features a verandah perched upon eight pairs of iron pillars and moulded chimney tops.
In country towns throughout Australia, wherever the railway has gone, you'll find a pub right next to it. Junee has more than one; across the road from the station, corner of Main St and Humphrys St, is the expansive Loftus Hotel (1896), Junee's oldest and grandest establishment which occupies an entire block. A Late Victorian Classical Revival structure it features a heavily ornamented stuccoed facade which contrasts nicely with the finely wrought iron and timber verandah.
The railway station is an impressive low slung building which is located at the southern end of Main St. It was built in 1881 in the French Renaissance style under the supervision of John Whitton, Chief Engineer of the NSW government railways, and features a cast-iron entrance verandah.
The railway workshop building was erected in 1885 as an hotel. The facade features stuccoed ornamental elements.
Just down the track from the station is the Heritage Railway Cafe which is based in the ornate and roomy turn-of-the-century railway refreshments building which features 3-metre mirrors, 6-metre ceilings, cast-iron columns, oak counters and an old wood-fire oven. It is also the local tourist information centre,
Bethungra, 30 km north-east of Junee along the Olympic Way, features the historic Hotel Shirley built of sandstock bricks in 1886 as a Cobb & Co. station. It features attractive cast-iron lacework along the balconies. Recently sold it is expected to become a private residence.
You can turn off at Bethungra (along Bethungra Waterworks Road) for Bethungra Dam an important wetlands area where you can canoe, sail, picnic, swim or fish. There are camping facilities, toilets, barbecues and bins.
A few kilometres north-east of Bethungra, adjacent the Olympic Way, is Bethungra Hill (720 m) where you can view 'The Spirals', a unique engineering feat whereupon the main Sydney-Melbourne railway line crosses over itself and the southern line. Built in the 1940s, it is the only example of a 360-degree spiral in the country.
A post office opened in 1862 and a village called 'Jewnee' was gazetted in 1863 on the wool road to Sydney. That same year, Ben Hall's bushranging gang, who were very active in the area, raided the village. Hall, Johnny Gilbert and John Vane held up Hammond's store while Michael Burke and John O'Meally bailed up Williams' Pub. Members of 'Blue Cap's' gang also raided an hotel at Jewnee in 1867.
In 1866 the population of the village was recorded as twelve but the discovery of reef and alluvial gold in the 1860s increased interest in the area. The main sites - Old Junee (to the west), Junee Reefs (to the north) and Illabo (to the north-east) - were mined until c.1880.
Selectors began to take an interest in the area when the route of the railway line from Cootamundra to Wagga Wagga became known.
The picture here of Ben Hall is when he was with Frank Gardiner's gang who staged Australia's largest ever gold robbery at Eugowra.
I love the Federation style pubs with their wrought iron verandahs.
At the corner of Lorne and Waratah Sts is the Commercial Hotel, a substantial building with an attractive verandah. A Federation structure, Built of bricks around 1915 and features a stuccoed panelled decorated roof parapet and still looks good today
YUM! This place makes really yummy licorice...especially the chocolate coated licorice and white chocolate coated licorice... ;)
Tours are weekdays - 8:30 am, 10:30 am and 2:30 pm. Weekends from 10 am to 4 pm.
Cost is $4 per person.
Here's another photo of the Licorice Factory...although it is an old building it is being renovated by the new owners...
It is in the old flour mill and is part of Green Grove Organics.