Kosciuszko National Park Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Kosciuszko National Park

Trout fishing

by iandsmith Updated Jan 7, 2011

Trying his luck in Thredbo Creek

Actually, I should have used the term "fly fishing" but, do I really care?
    At Thredbo and I also believe Jindabyne you can get lessons on how to fly fish. Because most streams in Australia are stocked with fish you can usually get a bite somewhere.
    However, fly fishermen are a different breed and having a love of the environment comes along as part of the package, along with patience.

• Fishing

Waterfall walk part three

Lower part of the falls

I started making up time on the way back but that got thwarted when I left my Christmas sunnies behind while changing lens on the camera. I managed to retrieve them but was sweating when I did so, perhaps more at the thought that I may have lost them than pure physical exertion.

Waterfall walk, part two

The waterfall

The walk was pleasant until just before the waterfall when it got warmer as the vegetation thinned out. The fall itself was higher than I expected and was the only time in 6kms you actually could see water except from where the trail commenced.
    I loved the tree in pic four, it seemed so photogenic

Waterfall Walk

Mountain tigertail dragonfly

After lunch I was let off the leash to do the Waterfall Walk. It was getting a trifle warmer because we had descended a few hundred metres and much of this walk was protected from the wind so there was no respite there. Still, it was a whole lot cooler than on the coast.
    I finally got up close and personal to some of the local cicadas, one of 237 Australian types of the specie. They’re only small here and the noise of the males is mercifully somewhat less than the 120 decibels some can put out. Then there was a dragonfly I’d never seen before, the mountain tigertail. Dragonflies are one of the oldest insects on the planet, going back 280 million years and, amazingly for such a small creature, they can lay 400-2,000 eggs depending on the species.

Charlotte Pass

by iandsmith Written Jan 6, 2011

Panorama looking across the main range

The ever present wind got slowly worse. We’d left the storm clouds behind when we headed south from Jindabyne and climbed once again into the mountains. However, here at Charlotte Pass we could see fresh threatening masses moving in as the trees were buffeted and the last of the day walkers returned.
    During the night the rain, in the form of sharp showers, came in bursts and the motorhome rocked and shuddered as the tempest rolled by. It was not a good night for sleep and in the morning an executive decision was made not to do the Blue Lake walk, much to one of the party’s disappointment.
    Before we left we met some ebullient Japanese who couldn’t stop being happy and we eventually gave them a tour of the motorhome which left them bug eyed and chattering.
    We did manage the lookout walk and noted the wonderful panorama but you can judge the strength of the wind by picture two.

Threbo Creek walk

Cars just visible at Dead Horse Gap

The flora was abundant but the legacy of the 2003 bushfires was everywhere. Dead limbs still reached for the sky, slowly being overtaken by new growth but it had some way to go.
    I finished opposite the carpark and tried thumbing a lift back, striking it lucky at the fifth attempt in a nice Audi. Wouldn’t do to come back in a Ford or a Holden!

• School Holidays

Threbo Creek walk

by iandsmith Updated Jan 6, 2011

Falls about half way

Still, the weather was the main thing to keep one’s eye on. Clouds were banking up on the horizon and it actually spat rain about three times but never dumped thank goodness.
    Towards the top of the 4 km track it crosses the river a few times, on well made bridges except for the last one right at Dead Horse Gap that has been washed away and never replaced.

• Seniors

The Thredbo experience

Beside the golf course

It all started so well. There I was, wallet in hand, ready to buy an annual pass and, what did I hear? “If you have a pension card it’s free to get into the Snowy Mountains NP.” A wave of euphoria came over me. I was thinking skiing on the cheap, how good would that be, but, hey, it was summer and I was here to do other things.
    We parked in the Thredbo cap park because I knew it was free too. Awesome. Even Rosemarie was a little keen and it was so good to get away from the coastal heat and humidity. We did the Kosciuszko walk the next day and then rested before hitting the Thredbo Creek Trail the following morning. Since Rosemarie didn’t want to take the trail across Ramshead because it might be just a bush track we opted to walk straight up the creek trail.
    It was getting just a little warm so Rosemarie opted out and went around the outside of the golf course and strolled around the village while I pushed on.
    It was a lovely walk. Often the stream was in view but a lot of the time the track meandered above it and you missed some.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

Rainbow Lake - part two

by iandsmith Written Jan 6, 2011

Stream just below the lake

This splendid establishment was the architectural feature of the mountains until it was destroyed by fire in 1951. Today all you can see is Sponars Chalet which was where the workers were housed during its construction.
    You could tell this was an easy walk because only old farts were using it and we were far and away the speediest group on the track. That didn’t detract from the pleasure of viewing this little almost forgotten jewel in the highlands though.
    It's less than 3kms return and only takes a comfortable 45 minutes.
    Most of my pics here are panoramas so you'll need to click on them to get the full effect.

Rainbow Lake - part one

Classic scene

In lieu of the Blue Lake walk, we headed down the road and aimed for Rainbow Lake, an easier and more sheltered stroll. It turned out to be a lovely walk with the meadows laden with summer wildflowers. Purples, yellows, reds and whites were scattered in abundance wherever one looked, though at times, because they were so delicate, you had to strain to notice them in the tufted heath.
    The lake isn’t visible until the final 100 metres and it was a surprise to see a wharf in sorry state of disrepair jutting into the western side though the lake was is man made, having been utilized in the days when the Hotel Kosciusko used it for water.

• Eco-Tourism

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Visit one of the power stations

by Kate-Me Updated May 27, 2005

Murray 1 power station

Snowy Mountains scheme, which collects, stores and diverts water in the Snowy Mountains through a complex infrastructure
    Included are 16 major dams, 7 power stations, 1 pumping station, 145 kms of interconnected tunnels and 80 kms of aqueducts.
    Some power stations have a visitor centre which is open to the public, like this one, Murray 1 Power Station, the 2nd largest power station in the scheme.
    Murray 1 features 10 95 gigawatt generators. Each one of these generates enough electricity for 95,000 homes at any time.
    Water released from Murray 1 power station flows through Murray 2 reservoir before it is used again to generater electricity in Murray 2 power station.
    Eventually the water flows into the Murray river for irrigation.

See the wildlife!

by Kate-Me Updated Mar 25, 2005

mob of Kangaroos at Geehi

One of the very best things about staying at Geehi campsite was waking up the next morning to the sound of the birds and wildlife, and the footfalls of kangaroos hopping around nearby.
    We took a walk in search of them and found a whole mob of about 30 contentedly grazing in the long grass of the valley, not far behind our tent site.
    The Kangaroos were wild, though obviously used to seeing campers. They allowed us to approach quite closely and even to their joeys, whom they are normally very protective of (beware of you ever approach a kangaroo family in the wild).

• Camping
    • Birdwatching

Explore the mountains!

by Kate-Me Updated Mar 25, 2005

kangaroos in the valley at Geehi

Simply seeing the breathtaking scenery was for us the biggest must see of Kosciuszko National Park (though all the wildlife came a very close 2nd)
    Little did we know at this point that later in the morning when we reached Thredbo, about 30-40 minutes drive further into the park, we would be seeing 1 week old snow on the top of the mountain peaks - in February, the middle of summer! Almost impossible...

Lizards and wildlife

by Kate-Me Written Mar 7, 2005

lizard in the mountains

Seeing wildlife such as lizards way up in the mountains was one of the best things for me about visiting Kosciuszko National Park.

We saw several lizards on our walk up at Charlotte's Pass.
    By moving very slowly and carefully, I was able to get close enough to this one with my camera (perhaps 10 cm long) to be able to use the macro function that I use for flowers!
    I was surprised that he didn't run away long before that point, as the camera WAS nearly touching him.....I think it helped that he had his mouth full of food at the time....if you blow up the picture you'll see.
    The tail of another lizard (probably a small skink) seemed to be protruding from both sides of his mouth.
    We also saw a very interesting large black and green spotted grasshopper, which also almost became lunch for the lizard, but for the fact that I think my camera distracted them both and allowed the grasshopper to make his escape a bit further away, where he was well camouflaged in the ground foliage.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Walking at Charlotte's Pass (2)

by Kate-Me Written Feb 25, 2005

little snow drifts

We could see snow all along the walk, on the peaks and in valleys below us. It was several kms along the walk before it was possible to walk in snow where bigger patches had lingered close to the track.

• Mountain Climbing

Instant Answers: Kosciuszko National Park

Comments

Kosciuszko National Park Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kosciuszko National Park things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kosciuszko National Park sightseeing.

View all Kosciuszko National Park hotels