Newcastle Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by FleurFox
    People I don't know in Goldbergs.
    The outside looking in.

Most Recent Restaurants in Newcastle

Lobster House: Newcastle's best seafood restaurant

by iandsmith Written Sep 19, 2011

This is seafood of the highest order. I love the freshness of it, I love the way it's cooked and I find the service to be very good.
    Price wise it's not at the cheaper end of the spectrum but you'll not regret eating here.

Favorite Dish: I've had fish here in two different forms, the beer battered is one of the cheaper items and it is delicious. Can't speak highly enough about this place.

Monday – Closed (except public holidays)
    Tue-Wed-Thur 11.30am-2.30pm | 5.30pm –10pm
    Fri-Sat-Sun 12noon – 10.30pm

• Luxury Travel

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Bogie Hole Cafe: Lots, but the Bogie Hole is...

by iandsmith Updated Sep 19, 2011

I used to frequent this place a lot but I've since moved out of town.

Favorite Dish: This place is in a lovely location, not too far from the beach and has an ambience I've always liked. The food is good and the menu covers a range of diets and is reasonably priced so you shouldn't get any shocks here.
    The Bogie Hole Cafe offers al fresco and sits between two backpacker hostels.

Awaba House: An air of satisfaction

by iandsmith Updated Sep 19, 2011

Awaba House, the cafe entry is on the left

The view. What we're talking about here is a sweeping landscape through a sculpture park completed by the serene waters of Lake Macquarie, Australia's largest seaboard lake.
    The pleasant staff seem to be afflicted by the tranquil setting and a relaxed atmosphere is guaranteed, even if they're busy, particularly on weekends.

Favorite Dish: We loved the soup but, since it is a soup de jour, you may not get the same as us.
    However, I have to say that the rest of the fare hasn't attracted us back here. Frankly speaking, I think they're guilty of trading on their location and need to up the ante if they want to attract the gourmet market back.

• Women's Travel

• FleurFox's Profile Photo

Goldberg's: The most popular cafe in Darby Street?

by FleurFox Updated Apr 4, 2011

People I don't know in Goldbergs.

We dined here twice, sampling the breakfast and lunch menus.
    Everything we ordered was lovely. From the apple juice with strawberries as garnishes to the decent sized meals, it was delicious.
    They have three sections you can dine in;
    Outside on the pavement there are a few tables, inside of course, and out the back they have a little courtyard, mainly for the smokers but we dined out there and it was really nice and a little bit funky.
    I would recommend Goldberg's with no hesitation.

Favorite Dish: For breakfast I had the Eggs Benedict with spinach and smoked salmon.
    It was delicious. The eggs were poached just right and the portions were big.

Engine Room: On the Boardwalk

by FleurFox Updated Apr 4, 2011

We went to Engine Room on a sunday night and it was only one of a handful of restaurants open. However, it was really nice food and the staff were lovely.
    We sat on the boardwalk and looked on as a huge container ship was docking. It was quite a nice night.

Favorite Dish: I had the shoft shell crab and it was nice.

Anacapri: Yum.

The outside looking in.

We dined here after a football game and the food was really nice.
    The servings were plentiful and tasted great.
    They had some delicious looking cakes in their cake display and it was fun trying to pick what each cake was.
    I would dine here again.

Favorite Dish: If you like it hot, I had the Sicillian Spaghetti.
    I don't even put pepper on my food, so I was blown away, but it was still really nice.

• Linda_T's Profile Photo

Beaumont St Hamilton: Foodies Delight

by Linda_T Updated Apr 4, 2011

Beaumont St, Hamilton is the place to go for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a great coffee. A wide range of dining is available from around the world. A few favourites are Aloi Thai - for great Thai food, Banyan Tree for Indonesian and The New Rickshaw Inn for Chinese

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo

Breeze Restaurant and Bar: the lady in the lake came upon me at this place

by skatzcatz Updated Apr 4, 2011

my company for dinner

A nice place with great views alongside the wharfs on the river in Newcastle. Very worthwhile for a special evening.

Prices as follows:

caesar salad: $13.50 entree, $22 main
    four cheese ravioli $16.50 entree
    Pan fried chicken $29.50 main

many other nice dishes and prices, try faxing or calling them for more details.

Favorite Dish: the food was nice but the company was awesome.

• Scratchleys on the Wharf: Mediocre Harbour Dining

by jenmcc13 Written Jan 6, 2009

If you are looking for mediocre seafood dining but want to pay a lot, then Scratchleys is the place for you! The first thing to note is that this is a restaurant that take reservations but has what looks like plastic patio furniture as your dining room. The waitresses all think they are models and strut around without really paying attention to what they are doing. You will definitely have to wait quite some time before you will get your meal or any type of service. Oh, and don't order drinks with your food because you may just get them with your bill. The food is all over-priced and "OK" at best. I would suggest the Meat Pie street car across the street if you want hot and decent food. I would also remind you that the manager of Scratchleys doesn't care much about your opinion...so don't waste your time!

Favorite Dish: Stay awaaay from the Seafood Chowder!!! $14 and it's disgusting! Everything that I've tried there is somewhat OK but I think it varies day by day.

• Beaches

• Linda_T's Profile Photo

Jonah's On The Beach: Great Views

by Linda_T Updated Aug 15, 2008

Overlooking Newcastle Beach

This restaurant has a million dollar view overlooking Newcastle Beach

Favorite Dish: Cajun Crusted Supreme Chicken Breast - served with roasted sweet potato and Chili Lime Butter.

It's delicious, the chicken melts in your mouth.

• FleurFox's Profile Photo

Kati Alo: A Strange Waitress!

by FleurFox Written May 2, 2007

This place seemed nice and the food was okay, but the thing that caught our attention the most was the waitress/hostess.

She had a thick accent and questioned my mum after she couldn't finish her meal as she was too full.
    The women asks if my mum if there was something wrong with the food, and was so persistant that we started to wonder if there really was something wrong with the food.
    Even 15 mins later when we went to pay the bill, she still kept asking why my mum didn't finish her meal. You almost felt pressured to eat everything on your plate.

Harbourside restaurants: By the harbour

by iandsmith Updated Dec 25, 2006

Bulk carrier en route to somewhere in Asia

There's a whole new block of restaurants by the harbour foreshore that serve to add to the dining experience in Newcastle even more.
    Bring it on I say.
    We've tried a few, the Brewery Restaurant (excellent food and service), Engine Room (also excellent food and service) and a couple of others whose names escape me.
    Just being there and soaking up the autumn or winter sun is soooo good. Watching the world go by in the form of fashions and people one side and yachts, ships and other assorted craft the other. Trust me, it's not hard to like!
    There's one that actually is set over the water and that's called Scratchley's which is where this photo was taken from. There's something about sitting in a restaurant on dusk and having 100,000 tonne plus bulk carriers drift past past you. It certainly catches your attention.

Favorite Dish: Most of the food I've eaten in the cafes here has been in the top half of my enjoyable dining experiences but I can add that the desserts here rank amongst the best with the Crowne Plaza and Engine Room being some of the best I've tasted anywhere.
    Mmmmmmmmm. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

The Junction: At the crossroads

by iandsmith Updated Dec 25, 2006

The Junction is actually the name of the suburb, not the restaurant.
    There's a collection of about a dozen restaurants. The best known would be Arriverderci Restaurant. In Italy it would be a designated trattoria and the family atmosphere is certainly apparent here. On Monday and Tuesday they have their pasta special nights and you can eat for under $10AUS. Either book or be prepared to wait, it's invariably packed.
    Other well-known restaurants are Lime (the most expensive but the food is good), Lotus (under new owners, excellent food) and the Mortar and Pestle (different atmosphere).

Favorite Dish: It's only about 3 kms from the CBD of Newcastle in a southerly direction which means its about three blocks from where I live so we occasionally frequent the area.

• Wine Tasting

• Bistro Tartine: Best French Restaurant in Newcastle for sure!

by coopers777 Written Nov 9, 2006

Bistro Tartine is superb. I've spent that last few years reviewing UK and European (michelin standard) restaurants and believe me, this place is up there with the best. The service is very good. The menu is innovative, creative, and just plain yummy. Newcastle's my home town - I grew up here, and I'm so pleased it finally has a decent restaurant - one you can bring overseas visitors to and not be embarrassed about (hope that doesn't sound too pretentious but hey, who cares this place is worth it!). This restaurant is wonderful.

Favorite Dish: Double baked souffle entree - ranks up there with the best...

• newcastle bakehouse: good value for money

by crazybitch61 Written Jun 24, 2006

the food is great baked fresh everyday i know i've been there the people are very nice to everyone who walks in the door when your leaving they say thank you have a nice day it is always looks busy but david n staff can have ur meal done in 10 mins or less made fresh good coffee tea hot chocolate what ever you drink they have or can arange for it. the music is realy good for the atmosphere and the place is really clean n tidy david najes sure bout that.

Favorite Dish: i like the bacon and eggs because it is really nice they ask you how you like your eggs and and it is cooked really well

Instant Answers: Newcastle

Comments

Newcastle Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Newcastle restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Newcastle sightseeing.