North Haven Off The Beaten Path

• Goanna checking me out makes a reappearnance
    Goanna checking me out makes a...
    by aussiedoug
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by aussiedoug

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in North Haven

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Camping with Kangaroos & Goannas at Diamond Head

by aussiedoug Updated Oct 15, 2009

Goanna checking me out makes a reappearnance

Diamond Head camping area is in Crowdy Bay National Park and is about 10-15 minutes drive from Laurieton along a mostly unsealed (gravel) road.

It's fairly basic camping. You need to take your own drinking water as the water there is bore water suitable for washing both yourselves & cooking/eating utensils from, but not drinking.
    It is though a lovely area with immediate access to the beach for swimming, surfing, fishing & exploring the headland and rockpools near it. Some good walks are also to be had, but I haven't done them yet as I'm too busy on the beach with either my girls or myself

• National/State Park
    • Beaches

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Camping with the Kangaroos and

by aussiedoug Updated Nov 14, 2005

Yes, as you can see, camping with the Kangaroos can have its less than pleasant side. We were camped straight opposite these people & they made the mistake of not zipping their tent up properly which enabled what I call the Kangaroo Burglars (as opposed to Cat Burglars. lol!) to gain entry & raid any food supplies that were not safely sealed up or out of reach.

There are over 20 Eastern Grey Kangaroos that roam around the camping area at Diamond Head and I must say that they are one of the attractions of the place. However, be warned that they are wild animals & although you can get very close to them - almost close enough to touch, you must keep that in mind.

When I took the photo I have as the main one on my homepage. I was chatting to a lovely couple from Finland who were driving along the coast & camping at different places. They were totally taken in with the Mother & her Joey & I took a couple of photos of them very close. But, when the lady got a bit too close, the mother Kangaroo gave a really guttural, almost growl at her. It was just to let her know & Mother Kangaroo didn't move towards the lady, but she was letting her know in no uncertain terms to not come any closer. So, please remember that even though they look, cute & cuddly, they are wild animals not just food burglars!

• Beaches
    • National/State Park

Instant Answers: North Haven

Comments

North Haven Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of North Haven off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for North Haven sightseeing.