North Sydney Things to Do

night panorama city and opera house
  • The Sydney harbour bridge from the small park
    The Sydney harbour bridge from the small...
    by DennyP
  • new years even water floats on the harbour
    new years even water floats on the...

Most Recent Things to Do in North Sydney

Halsley PArk at Stanhope GArdens

by AusPinay Written Apr 30, 2009

Magnificent trees dot this lovely park!

Around NEwbury estate in Stanhope Gardens are free parks where you can enjoy nature and have a tranquil and restful time. This one has heaps of greenery to enjoy and plenty of fantastic giant tree magnolias and native shrubs like my fave Grevilleas, bottle brushes and other lovely ground cover. No wonder there is plenty of wildlife here especially birds and ducks.

This one at Halsley street has several rock gardens and water features. It is a good place also to ride your bikes as there is a long and winding path going to the other gardens with the lake, ducks and main fountain. The best part is you don'thave to pay anything! A good walk around here takes half an hour if you take time to enjoy the gardens. My boys loved to play here and look for toads and little fishes living near the rock ponds. It is a quiet park , yet near our home, how lucky are we?

• Hiking and Walking

CATCH THE AIR SHOW at RAAF

by AusPinay Written Apr 30, 2009

up close & personal with fighter jets at RAAF

If you're near the northwest suburbs of Sydney, you will also have access to the country's premier air base, the Royal Australian Air Force Base at Richmond.

We went here last October for the AIRSHOW and it was truly spectacular despite the cold weather which wse were not vey much prepared for. After all it was near the end of spring! There was plenty on offer, the latest fighter jets, carrier'cargo planes, little twin-engine planes and a few flown by other foreign pbariticpants like the ones from China and Singapore. There were parachute jumping, jet fighter maneuvres, etc. It was a fun-filled day though we got a bit hungry. I looked at the map of the base before hand as promoted and saw our bank's name. I thought there would be ATM inside the based. To our surpise, they could only accept cash.

It was a very organised event though. Plenty of precautions were undertaken. First we had to leave our cars in the showground at Richmond, then we were taken by buses inside the base. There were thousands of people and yet, we were transported without much effort.

The only advice I can give is make sure you remember where you parked your car! There were plenty of people roaming around for a long time as the parking lot was very confusing. There were no visible markers s the ground was all dirt! It didn't help that
    it rained and late afternoon it was a bit dark and hard to find your bearing!

Lucky for us, youngest is very good with directions and pointed us to the right way, thank goodness he's got more of my genes,LOL!

When there's no show, I think you can still visit this place, subject to lots of inspections!

ST. Michael's Church POPULAR WEDDING VENUE

by AusPinay Updated Apr 28, 2009
    in front of popular St. Michael's Church

This church is just a couple of years old. Yet, since its construction, it has become a popular wedding and christening venue. It is so famous couples from many other suburbs come here to get hitched! In fact, they are fully booked till next year last time I heard!

The design of the church is very modern and it is a good landmark for those who wish to look for the huge soccer grounds, the public school and the Catholic primary and high school as its huge cross perched on its roof serves as some sort of big sign that you are in Stanhope Gardens, near to all the amenities- lovely parks, playgrounds and schools.

Whether you are religious or not, a visit to this place is interesting once you get inside. It is open plan but still far from the noise of the street. The modern design is complimented by decorative stained glasses at its numerous windows.

ANZAC NIGHTOUT PINOY-AUSSIE STYLE

by AusPinay Updated Apr 25, 2009

Corregidor Entertainment Centre pic

Aside from movies, bowling or just dining out, there's not much a family of two boys aged 10 & 14 have not done before on weekend nights really.

So upon learning from a friend there's a show and dinner buffet at Corregidor Entertainment Centre and Restaurant at Rooty Hill, we "persuaded" our computer nerds to come with us to get exposed to a bit of Pinoy culture: singing,dancing and heaps of eating of course!

Getting there, hubby forgot to plug in his GPS and boasted he could still find the place! After almost an hour of an other-wise half hour drive, we saw the SAN MIGUEL signboard outside the resto and heaved a sigh of relief!That was, after ringing my sister whose friend told us to watch out for the sign. The place is far from the train station and their website,corregidor.com,au was not much of a help. They could have said it was in front of the Catholic school away from the main shops!

Anyway, we paid $70 for food and show tickets at the door (usually pre-paid). That night there was Cleo and her mates. I learned during the show they were supposed to be ex-Las Vegas performers, seasoned at that! Well, they''re okay, but not the venue!

Food (not much of it, according to my youngest as he only ate rice and soy cause) didn't live to our expectations. But still we soldiered on. After all,we didn't go there just for the food!

One saving grace though, was the dessert which my hubby enjoyed-purple yam dish (ginatan) with some thin slivers of jackfruit and of course cooked in coconut milk and one tiny sweet potato square for each teeny weeny silver bowl! It probably had bananas as well but mine didn't have them. We were told we could come back to the buffet but since it was too far from our table, we didn't go for seconds.

Staff was friendly and smiled a lot! Where can you find the usherette doubling as the front act/ cum hostess and photographer? Only in Pinoy events I bet ya! It turned out this woman (Michelle Baltazar, a fine lady with a good singing voice to boot!) also works for ABS-CBN and writes for a financial paper! She even asked for my card (which I gladly gave though I had a hard time finding one due to my discomfort at the hot room!). I wondered why but I obliged! She also complimented my kids saying my youngest could be a model! She was alright!

Anyway, one of the disappointments for the night was my hubby's food getting cold, while waiting for ages for his change at the bar. The barwoman didn't seem to be well-versed with the system there, fumbling for the drinks/change,etc!

Where was the famous barman I heard about? Oh, it was a holiday!

The sound system was awful so it was a miracle the singers still sounded fine! Too much echo almost ruined my hubby's already fading hearing and mine 's (due to years of wearing ear plugs I guess!)Plus, the technician kept putting the wrong music according to the main singer CLEO.

I've never heard of Cleo before or seen her ( my apologies!) but she was alright though it was hard to understand her Visayan accent sometimes. I explained to my boys that she was just like many New Zealanders' accents anyway!They seem to talk similarly!

Cleo's opening number of" JAMBALAYA" probably set the tone for the night - a jambalaya or hodgepodge of many "interrupted" love songs, a couple of Filipino tunes,popular disco numbers and 40's,50's songs perhaps? ( I was glad I didn't know some-really, honestly, proving I wasn't that old!)

At least Les (my youngest, the eldest just kept playing with his mobile phone!) recognised one of the songs- "I Will Survive"!

Survive we did, after the music was stopped and started again and again to get the proper queueing, I suppose!

It was still a riot of an act, the audience enjoyed themselves and that's all that mattered in the end!

So after enduring so many apologies for the technical problems and hearing there's a 15 minute break for a disco free for all, I decided our kids' education on Filipino arts and culture has ended for the night temporarily.

The moral for this family ANZAC night out?

I impressed upon my sons the Filipino value of family togetherness. Even the other opening act Michael White (he's not white but also Pinoy ) sang sweetly with his mother). He also dedicated a song to his younger sister who was there and looks like she was fresh out of kindy!

The show magnified respect for elders and the Filipino value of family togetherness- dads, mums, grandparents going out with their kids of all ages and grandkids for a fun night of good fun and dining (hopefully food will improve soon!). For $70 ($20 for adults and 10 for my 10 yr old), that's still good value anyway I look at it! My husband's Aussie teenage nephews and young nieces will probably not enjoy going to a disco/show with their parents! Though for birthdays like 40th or 21st I am sure they would make some exceptions.

Where's the spirit of ANZAC here? All the performers paid tribute to their elders- the opening acts dedicated their numbers to their deceased grandmother, mother, older family friends, etc. That's close enough!

These revered people just like the ANZAC diggers sacrificed a lot to bring up their mob and "fight" for freedom!

Moreover, those Filipino immigrants certainly shed blood, sweat and tears to live in a strange place and make it a wonderful home for their families! Thanks to them they are living a blissful life in Sydney and this writer hopes she's doing the same thing for her kids now!

FUN & GAMES AT WONDERBOWL, CASTLE HILL

by AusPinay Written Apr 6, 2009

bowlign fun at Wonderbowl

Indoor fun has never been easy to get if you visit the Wonderbowl! It is not just a huge bowling venue but is a place with heaps of entertainment like electronic arcade games, air hockey, ski-ball, and many more!

It is a huge party venue as well complete with party hosts and a variety of party food to choose from! The birthday day can even be supplies to no worries for mums to cook or clean up. The kids get to have fun and so do the adults!

There is a cafe serving hot and cold foods in case the kiddies' food are not to your liking. You can reserve ahead the lanes if you plan to go with a group of mates. Kids from around 7 and up are catered for so go one, go bowling soon!

During rainy days and school holidays it is a good place to go to and spend time with family and friends!

• School Holidays

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

FEED THE DUCKS! ENJOY NATURE FOR FREE!

by AusPinay Written Mar 9, 2009

ducks love our old bread,LOL!

How do we get rid of old bread and still enjoy nature at the same time? We just trek off to our nearby pond at Newbury and take our old bread (after getting tired of recycling then into bread and butter pudding) and feed the ducks there.

The walk to the pond is really refreshing as we go through many types of native trees and shrubs that line the foothpaths to the pond. A number of small parks and gardens are also around. Several playgrounds for the kids are also available. So you don't just feed the ducks but get to entertain the kids without breaking the bank. Just my kind of leisure!

• Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

BURNOUTS AT WESTERN SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL DRAGWAY

burnouts at WSID

This place is awesome, my hub and eldest son love coming here for adrenalin action- various competitions are held for amateur and professional dragsters and car drivers alike!

Throughout the year, there's top fuel, dragsters, v8 car races, motorbike and race car driving contests.thousands of locals and tourists both domestic and foreign alike come here. There are swap meets, exhibits, etc. You also get to inspect the cars at the dragway's cockpit, just fab!

The most fun for many motorheads is the legal dragracing and burnouts they do here every Wednesday from 3 pm to late. It is where young people can race without making themselves in danger or other people!

BURNOUTS AT WESTERN SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL DRAGWAY

burnouts at WSID

WATCH A MOVIE UNDER THE STARS for FREE

by AusPinay Written Mar 8, 2009

enjoy a free movie with mates

Our village offers lots of recreation including free movies under the stars during summertime. If you are in the area around December to February there are lots of events and free movies are tops in our list. This year it was held at Yarralumla Park, off Perfection Avenue, Stanhope Gardens. It is part of the Newbury estate and the local government summer project for families around the area.

If we do not like the movie, the FREE popcorn and fairy floss (cotton candy) are not so bad!

If you decide to watch it is usually a family oriented movie. All you need is take some blankets or picnic rug or deck chairs. Drinks are sold and other snacks.

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

CATCH THE WAVES without the SAND and SHARKS!

by AusPinay Updated Mar 8, 2009

at the indoor wave pool

The Blacktown Leisure Centre at Stanhope operates an indoor wave pool, the only one of its kind in the west as far as I know.

With the recent spate of shark attacks in Sydney, it is wise to take the kids to indoor pools like the one in Stanhope Gardens. There are various pools to choose from - lap pools for the adults and swimming enthusiasts, wading pool for the kiddies, plus the wave pool which has a machine that makes the big waves as if you're in the ocean! It happens ever fifteen minutes during the weekend. There is also jacuzzi, sauna and gym for the oldies. Membership is available for the gym too.

Birthday parties are also catered for here for the young and young at heart.

A cafe is operated here and yummy food- snacks and light meals plus drinks are available.

It also has a swim school ,function rooms for events like dolls show, teddy bear picnic, etc. Plus there are also basketball courts.

Soon, it will open a new library operated by the Blacktown Council. so set aside a day to enjoy this place.

Summary of the centre facilities:

* Group Fitness Studio
    * Crèche
    * Leisure Gardens

* Western Sydney’s only wave pool
    * 10 lane 25 metre lap pool
    * Program pool with moveable floor
    * Toddler Splash pools and whirl pool
    * Fun water features — watch out for the water cannon!
    * Spa, Sauna and Steam Room
    * Indoor Two Court Stadium

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

CATCH THE WAVES without the SAND and SHARKS!

at the indoor wave pool

Birthday parties are also catered for here for the young and young at heart.

• rollerblading's Profile Photo

Rollerblading in Sydney

by rollerblading Written Jul 4, 2007
    Rollerblading in Sydney

Rollerblading / inline skating is a fun way to explore Sydney and the Sydney Harbour Bridge has a smooth bike pathway perfectly suited to skating. The Milsons Point area has been extensively repaved and a large outdoor plaza has been installed beneath the Harbour Bridge close to Fitzroy Street which is like a massive outdoor roller rink! The Milsons Point foreshore, where incidentally the PM takes his morning walks, is also within easy reach provided you are able to safely stop down the steep hill leading you there from Milsons Point train station.
    And that is the catch! Hills. And your ability to stop on rollerblades going down them right?
    No problem. There is a company that runs lessons in the Milsons Point area and provide certified instructors, skate hire, photos, protective equipment, etc to get you rollerblading no matter what your ability level is! Start off on the grass surface and learn the basics before you venture forth... Don't take my word for it, just google the word 'rollerblading' or 'rollerblading lessons' and you'll find relevant information on rollerblading in Australia. After all why not learn how to rollerblade well enough so that you can take your skates on your future travels you virtualtourist!? :-)

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

Swim beneath the arches of Sydney Harbour Bridge

by cybergenic Updated Oct 27, 2006

View from North Sydney Pool

The Olympic Pool facilities comprise a 50-metre heated pool, gymnasium, sauna, spa, indoor 25-metre pool and cafe. The Pool complex gives customers the opportunity to combine swimming with other leisure pursuits in the one spectacular location overlooking Sydney Harbour, next door to Luna Park and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

History of the Pool
    North Sydney Olympic Pool has a rich heritage.
    The pool was built on the old Dorman and Long site where much of the construction work for the Sydney Harbour Bridge had been carried out.

When it was opened in 1936, it was hailed as the 'wonder pool of Australasia' because of the high standard of its facilities and the sophistication of its modern filtration system - at that time one of the most advanced in the world.

The pool is unique because of its harbourside location between the Bridge and Luna Park, the strong art deco styling and decorative plasterwork of its architecture, and its place in Australia's sporting history.

In all, 86 world records have been set at the pool by such swimming greats as Jon Konrads, Ilsa Konrads, Frank O'Neill, Judy Joy Davies, John Devitt, Shane Gould and Michelle Ford.
    Entry Costs:

• WaRPer's Profile Photo

Bridge Walk from Milsons Point

by WaRPer Written Jul 20, 2006
    CBD view from Harbour Bridge

The best way to view Circular Quay and the CBD (Central Business District) from the top. Don’t ever pay so much money on the ‘bridge climbing’ thing (unless you’re seeking for some blood-pumping activities.) This is what you should do; Catch a North Shore Lines train (from Central Station, Town Hall or Wynyard whatever) to Milsons Point, the first stop on North Sydney’s side then walk back across the Harbor Bridge to the Rocks. The walk itself takes around 15-20, but I saw some people spend over 2 hours taking photos!!!

By the way morning will be the best time doing this, or late evening but it maybe a bit too windy and freezing. Afternoon and early evening can be very hot and sunny.

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

Luna Park just for fun

by cybergenic Written Jul 21, 2004

Just for fun !

Sydneys premiere amusement park, attractions include Coney Island, the Wild Mouse, Dodgem Cars, Tumblebug, Rotor, Ferris Wheel and Tango.

Luna Park first opened in 1935 and has since become a most outstanding and recognisable feature of Sydney Harbour's northern foreshore.

Now that entry to Luna Park is free, you should get on down and have a wander around one of Sydney's favourite icons. Soak up the atmosphere and the magnificent views while the kids enjoy the rides and games, or have a go yourself and relive your childhood. Step back in time at Coney Island, test your driving skills on the Dodgems, see what's happening in The Big Top or just sit back on the Ferris Wheel and make the most of the bird's eye view.

Open Every Day!

Saturday
    10am - 12 midnight

• Theme Park Trips

Instant Answers: North Sydney

Comments

North Sydney Things to Do

Reviews and photos of North Sydney things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for North Sydney sightseeing.