North Sydney Things to Do

night panorama city and opera house
  • The Sydney harbour bridge from the small park
    The Sydney harbour bridge from the small...
    by DennyP
  • new years even water floats on the harbour
    new years even water floats on the...

Best Rated Things to Do in North Sydney

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

Luna Park just for fun

by cybergenic Written Jul 21, 2004

Just for fun !

Sydneys premiere amusement park, attractions include Coney Island, the Wild Mouse, Dodgem Cars, Tumblebug, Rotor, Ferris Wheel and Tango.

Luna Park first opened in 1935 and has since become a most outstanding and recognisable feature of Sydney Harbour's northern foreshore.

Now that entry to Luna Park is free, you should get on down and have a wander around one of Sydney's favourite icons. Soak up the atmosphere and the magnificent views while the kids enjoy the rides and games, or have a go yourself and relive your childhood. Step back in time at Coney Island, test your driving skills on the Dodgems, see what's happening in The Big Top or just sit back on the Ferris Wheel and make the most of the bird's eye view.

Open Every Day!

• Theme Park Trips
    • Architecture

SEE WHERE THE LOCALS LIVE: FAB SYDNEY SUBURB

by AusPinay Updated Apr 4, 2011

wide open spaces in bush setting

For first time or regular visitors to Sydney, it will be a fantastic experience immersing in the Aussie culture.

A superb way to do this is to see where the locals live. Try to go and visit some of the suburbs around Sydney. They are still not so far and yet away from the chaos of Sydney and the pollution.

One place is my suburb, a newly-created community which is fast becoming a sought after area.It is near everything- shopping, cinema, amenities for recreation (parks, reserves, zoos, etc), banks, fab restaurants,etc.

I shall be very happy to welcome you to our lovely community.

It is like living in a resort complete with all the luxuries- pool, spa, tennis courts, barbecue facilities, choices of various clubhouses with all these amenities I mentioned.

Plus, there are wide open spaces filled with hundred year old trees like my fave fig trees, gum trees and other native trees. It is common to be sharing the lovely setting with native and introduced animals like blue- tongued lizard, Aussie birds, etc.

We are also near the popular PARKLEA MARKETS, newly-built Rouse Hill Town Centre with shop till you drop boutiques, supermarkets, cinemas,banks,Leisure Centre with the only indoor wave pool in Sydney, with soccer and cricket fields, etc. We don't have the beach here but with the shark scare these days, who misses the beach?

There's also FEATHERDALE WILDLIFE PARK nearby (less than 15 minutes from us) and the Blacktown Olympic Centre where the softball/baseball matches were held during Sydney 2000 Olympics.

Another proud thing about this city is it is DEBT-FREE unlike many councils in Sydney!

It is like paradise here, trust me!

So come and see where I live!

• Eco-Tourism

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

Swim beneath the arches of Sydney Harbour Bridge

by cybergenic Updated Oct 27, 2006

View from North Sydney Pool

The Olympic Pool facilities comprise a 50-metre heated pool, gymnasium, sauna, spa, indoor 25-metre pool and cafe. The Pool complex gives customers the opportunity to combine swimming with other leisure pursuits in the one spectacular location overlooking Sydney Harbour, next door to Luna Park and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

History of the Pool
    North Sydney Olympic Pool has a rich heritage.
    The pool was built on the old Dorman and Long site where much of the construction work for the Sydney Harbour Bridge had been carried out.

When it was opened in 1936, it was hailed as the 'wonder pool of Australasia' because of the high standard of its facilities and the sophistication of its modern filtration system - at that time one of the most advanced in the world.

The pool is unique because of its harbourside location between the Bridge and Luna Park, the strong art deco styling and decorative plasterwork of its architecture, and its place in Australia's sporting history.

In all, 86 world records have been set at the pool by such swimming greats as Jon Konrads, Ilsa Konrads, Frank O'Neill, Judy Joy Davies, John Devitt, Shane Gould and Michelle Ford.
    Entry Costs:

Closed Christmas Day and Good Friday

• Spa and Resort
    • Architecture

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

CATCH THE WAVES without the SAND and SHARKS!

at the indoor wave pool

The Blacktown Leisure Centre at Stanhope operates an indoor wave pool, the only one of its kind in the west as far as I know.

With the recent spate of shark attacks in Sydney, it is wise to take the kids to indoor pools like the one in Stanhope Gardens. There are various pools to choose from - lap pools for the adults and swimming enthusiasts, wading pool for the kiddies, plus the wave pool which has a machine that makes the big waves as if you're in the ocean! It happens ever fifteen minutes during the weekend. There is also jacuzzi, sauna and gym for the oldies. Membership is available for the gym too.

Birthday parties are also catered for here for the young and young at heart.

A cafe is operated here and yummy food- snacks and light meals plus drinks are available.

It also has a swim school ,function rooms for events like dolls show, teddy bear picnic, etc. Plus there are also basketball courts.

Soon, it will open a new library operated by the Blacktown Council. so set aside a day to enjoy this place.

Attend a Multicultural Festival

by AusPinay Updated Apr 4, 2011

My son playing African drums at the festival

Around May, during winter, there are also activiites highlighting the cultural diversity of the people living in our town. Hence there is a multicultural festival attended by thousands of people with parades, fetes, shows, markets, environmental wokshops, etc. to mark the occasion. Usually held for several days, the main event involves a huge parade participated in by various ethnic groups and citizens groups and clubs. There is also a food and music festival. It is a big event that we always participate on.

We also get lots of free stuff from the Council for the kids- from souvenir caps to school supplies, environmental products from shower timers to light saving bulbs. It is a must see and must join event so make sure you come!

The main parade and events are held in Main St., and around the CBD area. But historical fetes are usually at Nurragingy Reserve at Doonside.

Come and visit us and you will love the place. It is sad that many Sydneysiders are not aware of the wide array of activities we have here and also the nice quality of life we enjoy. They don't think much about westies like us but we love living here really!

• ratherton's Profile Photo

BridgeClimb

by ratherton Written Feb 25, 2003

Top of the Bridge

Climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge is one of the best tours I've done anywhere in the world. The whole thing lasts about 3 hours and even though I am terrified of heights, I felt safe all the time. Climbs at day and night are on offer at a variety of prices so it's best to check their website for latest details.

WATCH A MOVIE UNDER THE STARS for FREE

by AusPinay Written Mar 8, 2009

enjoy a free movie with mates

Our village offers lots of recreation including free movies under the stars during summertime. If you are in the area around December to February there are lots of events and free movies are tops in our list. This year it was held at Yarralumla Park, off Perfection Avenue, Stanhope Gardens. It is part of the Newbury estate and the local government summer project for families around the area.

If we do not like the movie, the FREE popcorn and fairy floss (cotton candy) are not so bad!

If you decide to watch it is usually a family oriented movie. All you need is take some blankets or picnic rug or deck chairs. Drinks are sold and other snacks.

BURNOUTS AT WESTERN SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL DRAGWAY

burnouts at WSID

This place is awesome, my hub and eldest son love coming here for adrenalin action- various competitions are held for amateur and professional dragsters and car drivers alike!

Throughout the year, there's top fuel, dragsters, v8 car races, motorbike and race car driving contests.thousands of locals and tourists both domestic and foreign alike come here. There are swap meets, exhibits, etc. You also get to inspect the cars at the dragway's cockpit, just fab!

The most fun for many motorheads is the legal dragracing and burnouts they do here every Wednesday from 3 pm to late. It is where young people can race without making themselves in danger or other people!

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

FEED THE DUCKS! ENJOY NATURE FOR FREE!

by AusPinay Written Mar 9, 2009

ducks love our old bread,LOL!

How do we get rid of old bread and still enjoy nature at the same time? We just trek off to our nearby pond at Newbury and take our old bread (after getting tired of recycling then into bread and butter pudding) and feed the ducks there.

The walk to the pond is really refreshing as we go through many types of native trees and shrubs that line the foothpaths to the pond. A number of small parks and gardens are also around. Several playgrounds for the kids are also available. So you don't just feed the ducks but get to entertain the kids without breaking the bank. Just my kind of leisure!

• Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

BURNOUTS AT WESTERN SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL DRAGWAY

burnouts at WSID

ANZAC NIGHTOUT PINOY-AUSSIE STYLE

by AusPinay Updated Apr 25, 2009

Corregidor Entertainment Centre pic

Aside from movies, bowling or just dining out, there's not much a family of two boys aged 10 & 14 have not done before on weekend nights really.

So upon learning from a friend there's a show and dinner buffet at Corregidor Entertainment Centre and Restaurant at Rooty Hill, we "persuaded" our computer nerds to come with us to get exposed to a bit of Pinoy culture: singing,dancing and heaps of eating of course!

Getting there, hubby forgot to plug in his GPS and boasted he could still find the place! After almost an hour of an other-wise half hour drive, we saw the SAN MIGUEL signboard outside the resto and heaved a sigh of relief!That was, after ringing my sister whose friend told us to watch out for the sign. The place is far from the train station and their website,corregidor.com,au was not much of a help. They could have said it was in front of the Catholic school away from the main shops!

Anyway, we paid $70 for food and show tickets at the door (usually pre-paid). That night there was Cleo and her mates. I learned during the show they were supposed to be ex-Las Vegas performers, seasoned at that! Well, they''re okay, but not the venue!

Food (not much of it, according to my youngest as he only ate rice and soy cause) didn't live to our expectations. But still we soldiered on. After all,we didn't go there just for the food!

One saving grace though, was the dessert which my hubby enjoyed-purple yam dish (ginatan) with some thin slivers of jackfruit and of course cooked in coconut milk and one tiny sweet potato square for each teeny weeny silver bowl! It probably had bananas as well but mine didn't have them. We were told we could come back to the buffet but since it was too far from our table, we didn't go for seconds.

Staff was friendly and smiled a lot! Where can you find the usherette doubling as the front act/ cum hostess and photographer? Only in Pinoy events I bet ya! It turned out this woman (Michelle Baltazar, a fine lady with a good singing voice to boot!) also works for ABS-CBN and writes for a financial paper! She even asked for my card (which I gladly gave though I had a hard time finding one due to my discomfort at the hot room!). I wondered why but I obliged! She also complimented my kids saying my youngest could be a model! She was alright!

Anyway, one of the disappointments for the night was my hubby's food getting cold, while waiting for ages for his change at the bar. The barwoman didn't seem to be well-versed with the system there, fumbling for the drinks/change,etc!

Where was the famous barman I heard about? Oh, it was a holiday!

The sound system was awful so it was a miracle the singers still sounded fine! Too much echo almost ruined my hubby's already fading hearing and mine 's (due to years of wearing ear plugs I guess!)Plus, the technician kept putting the wrong music according to the main singer CLEO.

I've never heard of Cleo before or seen her ( my apologies!) but she was alright though it was hard to understand her Visayan accent sometimes. I explained to my boys that she was just like many New Zealanders' accents anyway!They seem to talk similarly!

Cleo's opening number of" JAMBALAYA" probably set the tone for the night - a jambalaya or hodgepodge of many "interrupted" love songs, a couple of Filipino tunes,popular disco numbers and 40's,50's songs perhaps? ( I was glad I didn't know some-really, honestly, proving I wasn't that old!)

At least Les (my youngest, the eldest just kept playing with his mobile phone!) recognised one of the songs- "I Will Survive"!

Survive we did, after the music was stopped and started again and again to get the proper queueing, I suppose!

It was still a riot of an act, the audience enjoyed themselves and that's all that mattered in the end!

So after enduring so many apologies for the technical problems and hearing there's a 15 minute break for a disco free for all, I decided our kids' education on Filipino arts and culture has ended for the night temporarily.

The moral for this family ANZAC night out?

I impressed upon my sons the Filipino value of family togetherness. Even the other opening act Michael White (he's not white but also Pinoy ) sang sweetly with his mother). He also dedicated a song to his younger sister who was there and looks like she was fresh out of kindy!

The show magnified respect for elders and the Filipino value of family togetherness- dads, mums, grandparents going out with their kids of all ages and grandkids for a fun night of good fun and dining (hopefully food will improve soon!). For $70 ($20 for adults and 10 for my 10 yr old), that's still good value anyway I look at it! My husband's Aussie teenage nephews and young nieces will probably not enjoy going to a disco/show with their parents! Though for birthdays like 40th or 21st I am sure they would make some exceptions.

Where's the spirit of ANZAC here? All the performers paid tribute to their elders- the opening acts dedicated their numbers to their deceased grandmother, mother, older family friends, etc. That's close enough!

These revered people just like the ANZAC diggers sacrificed a lot to bring up their mob and "fight" for freedom!

Moreover, those Filipino immigrants certainly shed blood, sweat and tears to live in a strange place and make it a wonderful home for their families! Thanks to them they are living a blissful life in Sydney and this writer hopes she's doing the same thing for her kids now!

CATCH THE AIR SHOW at RAAF

by AusPinay Written Apr 30, 2009

up close & personal with fighter jets at RAAF

If you're near the northwest suburbs of Sydney, you will also have access to the country's premier air base, the Royal Australian Air Force Base at Richmond.

We went here last October for the AIRSHOW and it was truly spectacular despite the cold weather which wse were not vey much prepared for. After all it was near the end of spring! There was plenty on offer, the latest fighter jets, carrier'cargo planes, little twin-engine planes and a few flown by other foreign pbariticpants like the ones from China and Singapore. There were parachute jumping, jet fighter maneuvres, etc. It was a fun-filled day though we got a bit hungry. I looked at the map of the base before hand as promoted and saw our bank's name. I thought there would be ATM inside the based. To our surpise, they could only accept cash.

It was a very organised event though. Plenty of precautions were undertaken. First we had to leave our cars in the showground at Richmond, then we were taken by buses inside the base. There were thousands of people and yet, we were transported without much effort.

The only advice I can give is make sure you remember where you parked your car! There were plenty of people roaming around for a long time as the parking lot was very confusing. There were no visible markers s the ground was all dirt! It didn't help that
    it rained and late afternoon it was a bit dark and hard to find your bearing!

Lucky for us, youngest is very good with directions and pointed us to the right way, thank goodness he's got more of my genes,LOL!

When there's no show, I think you can still visit this place, subject to lots of inspections!

Christmas in July at NEwbury

by AusPinay Written Apr 30, 2009

kids enjoying their light sabres

As July is usually the coldest time, the village holds a Christmas in July celebs for the community, complete with Santa, reindeer, fireworks, etc.

Despite the freezing cold, residents like us with young families always participate. It is a good way to meet people as well as having fun cold weather and all. Our estate, a privately managed and owned by MIRVAC even provide the free CHristmas dinner.

Another year there were also fireworks and the Santa with the Indian reindeer,LOL! Santa came escorted by Hindu drummers, it was really entertaining, only in our community!This time food was not free but there lots of stalls selling all sorts of food from burgers to chips to hotdogs, etc.

So if you're ever in Sydney in July, catch this event in any other suburb as it can be a fun way to meet the locals!It is FREE!

• Festivals

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

CATCH THE WAVES without the SAND and SHARKS!

by AusPinay Updated Mar 8, 2009

at the indoor wave pool

Birthday parties are also catered for here for the young and young at heart.

Summary of the centre facilities:

* Group Fitness Studio
    * Crèche
    * Leisure Gardens

* Western Sydney’s only wave pool
    * 10 lane 25 metre lap pool
    * Program pool with moveable floor
    * Toddler Splash pools and whirl pool
    * Fun water features — watch out for the water cannon!
    * Spa, Sauna and Steam Room
    * Indoor Two Court Stadium

FUN & GAMES AT WONDERBOWL, CASTLE HILL

by AusPinay Written Apr 6, 2009

bowlign fun at Wonderbowl

Indoor fun has never been easy to get if you visit the Wonderbowl! It is not just a huge bowling venue but is a place with heaps of entertainment like electronic arcade games, air hockey, ski-ball, and many more!

It is a huge party venue as well complete with party hosts and a variety of party food to choose from! The birthday day can even be supplies to no worries for mums to cook or clean up. The kids get to have fun and so do the adults!

There is a cafe serving hot and cold foods in case the kiddies' food are not to your liking. You can reserve ahead the lanes if you plan to go with a group of mates. Kids from around 7 and up are catered for so go one, go bowling soon!

During rainy days and school holidays it is a good place to go to and spend time with family and friends!

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: North Sydney

Comments

North Sydney Things to Do

Reviews and photos of North Sydney things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for North Sydney sightseeing.