Snowy Mountains Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Snowy Mountains

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Watch out roos skiing!!

by martin_nl Written Oct 22, 2005

Roos skiiing the slopes of the mountains?

We noticed a couple of these traffic signs to watch out for roos skiing the slopes of the mountains. Since I visited in summertime I cannot verify whether it is really dangerous or not, but you'd better keep you eyes open! ;p

Skiing isn't always white

by iandsmith Written Nov 21, 2004

Can you see the marks?

Here you can clearly see the result of my little contre temps with the tree and understand why the instructor suggested I go to the medical centre.
    The blood has gone over the outside and down the inside of my parka (it's O.K. now, I sell chemicals, I got it clean) but it took the seven stitches to stop the bleeding.

Beware of the trees

by iandsmith Updated Oct 22, 2004

Aint this fun

See my sons on the chair lift. See me sitting in the snow. One hour later you could have seen me with seven stitches in my left ear and a case of concussion. My sons, oblivious to all this, continued on their happy way. Bastards!
    Whilst traversing through a seemingly innocuous tree belt at around 3 kph, my lower ski went from under me which quickly escalated into me losing one ski, falling then sliding with alarming speed feet first on my belly until my foot caught something which co-incided with my head hitting a small branch.
    In a state of shock for the next 7 to 8 minutes I eventually regained my composure and walked out from the trees. I knew I wasn't well. I didn't know I was bleeding until I eventually got on the chair lift and an instructor let me know and suggested a trip to the day surgery would be a good idea.
    The good news was that I got a ride on a skidoo back to the train station where I cleaned off some of the blood before catching the next train to the medical centre.
    Guess what the name of my driver on the skidoo was - Steve Austin. I swear it's true, though he looked a bit too fleshy, not enough mechanical bits.

Dead Horse Gap

by iandsmith Updated Sep 30, 2004

During the spring thaw.

At 1582 metrees, this is one of the high points of the roads in the Snowy Mountains National Park. When roads get closed, this is one of the first places where access will be denied.
    It lies just south of Thredbo ski village en route to Khancoban and is the only road that connects the two (unless you want a detour of a couple of hundred kilometres).
    It serves to reinforce the warning that the weather can turn nasty and turn quickly when you're in the mountains (or on the ocean for that matter) and you should always check ahead for conditions before you start your journey.

Which is slow?

by iandsmith Written Sep 10, 2004

I hadn't even crashed and they're out for me!

If I were in trouble I'd probably prefer a fast rescue party but, here in Australia, we're pretty laid back. So, if you die, that's life.........or not, as the case may be.
    No, actually I saw this sign near Murray Ponds 2 Power Station and was intrigued by it. Since we never saw any danger or anyone in danger we never did find out what was around. Perhaps one of those drop bears held up by a sky hook?

The weather

by iandsmith Updated Sep 10, 2004

Cabramurra calamity

Like any alpine area, the weather can strike when you least expect it. At certain places, due to vegetation cover and the type of terrain, you may have little warning of a change.
    This picture shows my vehicle just after I had to pull up and fit snow chains to it. If I hadn't had a set I would have been stuck for two days.
    You have to remember that in Australia they don't use salt to clear the snow so you have to have chains or they won't let you enter the park in winter.

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Road Conditions

by Myndo Written Apr 17, 2004

road, snowy river ntl park

A lot of the roads in the Snowy River National Park are Gravel. These roads can be closed due to weather conditions. (So ask at the information, if the weather is bad).

But even if they are open, drive carefully, the roads are not very wide.

Although there isnĀ“t much of traffic, you can always encounter some animals.
    I have seen 2 Echidnas and a small fox that slept on the street.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Be careful whilst skiing!

by Joseph69 Written Aug 4, 2007

Be careful! ;)

Never be on drugs, drunk or anything else whilst skiing. It can be very dangerous if you are all over the place.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Careful in a snow blizzard!

by Joseph69 Written Aug 4, 2007

Poor visibility in a blizzard

I got caught in a blizzard and it was very hard to see any bumps and immediate drops. I was reduced to a very slow skiing pace.

Recommended to follow the directional poles and take it easy!

Instant Answers: Snowy Mountains

Comments

Snowy Mountains Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Snowy Mountains warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Snowy Mountains sightseeing.

View all Snowy Mountains hotels