Festivals / Parades, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

No Return
  • Festivals / Parades
    Balance with Energies
  • DennyP's Profile Photo

BEWARE..WORLD YOUTH DAY..JULY 14 TO JULY 20

by DennyP Written Jun 17, 2008

Favorite thing: BE ADVISED ...VISITING SYDNEY MID JULY!!!..The WORLD YOUTH DAY that is to be held in Sydney from the 14th of July to the 20th of July..is the biggest event ever staged in Sydney ...The event is organised by The Catholic Church and will include a visit from the POPE Benedict XVI..This event was going to be held at the Olympic Park Complex but was found too small. and moved to Royal Randwick Race Course.(This is in the eastern suburbs of the city).crowds expected are to be upwards to half a million so has been stated.. . ..ACCOMODATION will be at a premium over this period and the pressures put on public transport will be immense..there will be different events over this period....information on transport can be found on this info line...1300-993-793.. info line for The World Youth Day is..131-500...WEB SITE IS ...http://www.wyd2008.org/..this may save you a problem ...

• Singles
    • Seniors

• MadKiwiBeast's Profile Photo

Gay Mardigras Parade

by MadKiwiBeast Updated Apr 15, 2004

Favorite thing: Held about the first week of March I think, you should really try not to miss this. From memory there is all sorts of cultural events for about a month leading up to the parade as well. Really interesting.

Fondest memory: Cable waterskiing (check my sports travel tip), the mardigras and long hot evenings at the beach eating good food.

Gay parade
    • Gay and Lesbian

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Christmas time in Sydney

by martin_nl Updated Nov 17, 2004

Fondest memory: This christmas in Sydney was going to be like no other I had ever celebrated before. Where at home usually the weather is sh!t, it rains, it's cold, but not freezing and the skies are always grey, this christmas was going to be the complete opposite. Blue skies, hot temperature, shorts & t-shirts and beaches!

The only thing the same are that shopping windows are all decorated with santa's and have fake snow. It'very strange to walk around the city when it's 35 degrees and see fake snow everywhere. Most aussies haven't even seen snow in all their lives!!

But the day was great and another similar thing was friends and a traditional Christmas roast. If you want to see some more pics I suggest you take a look at my Bondi Beach page, since that's where I celebrated x-mas 2003.

Roasting hot in Sydney, but still having roast!

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

New Years Eve

by martin_nl Updated Nov 17, 2004

Fondest memory: I arrived in Sydney at the end of October and a reason for staying for 2 months was becuase I really wanted to celebrate New Years Eve in Sydney! Many years in a row I had seen the Sydney fireworks on tv and since I was in Australia I had to make sure I got to see the fireworks with my own eyes and I did!

I can tell it's worth staying an extra few days in Sydney for, or even worth coming back for! It's like nothing I have ever seen before. And whereas in Europe NYE is usually freezing cold, it's not so in Sydney. We went to the Botanic Gardens, to Mrs. Maquaries Point from where we had a pretty good view of the harbour. The atmosphere was fantastic and maybe even better than the fireworks itself... We couldn't bring in any alcohol, but when you put your pre mixed drinks in a vanilla coke bottle no questions will be asked! We sat on a blanket all night having a laugh and before you know it the fireworks start and you're in the next year!!

Food, drinks and friends @ NYE

• Millenium

by beachboy Updated Apr 18, 2003

Favorite thing: Sydney one of the most beautiful city built around the best harbour in the world. The city was once awarded to host the Olympic Games year 2000.

Fondest memory: My greatest and most unforgetable memory of Sydney was undoubtedly the Millenium celebration. More than a million people from world wide gather at the city center waiting to welcome the new millenium.

The fireworks started as early as nine at Darling Harbour. Then, some greater shows from the Harbour Bridge, Opera House and Darling Harbour while the celebration reached its peak moment stepping into the new millenium. Generally, almost all roads were closed except for the major traffic. Every corners were flooded with people, especially around Rocks area.

Throughout the one whole night, the excitement had never stopped. Fireworks, open concert and variety of shows. We started our 'journey' from Darling Harbour, spending a little time and had our dinner there. Then, we moved towards the Harbour Bridge. Along the way, we squeezed thru some crowded areas passing by The Rocks and foot of Harbour Bridge before we finally found a place with clearer view. Waiting for the countdown!

All I gotta say is, the celebration was fascinating and I was very glad to be around in Sydney.

• Festivals

• In January there is the...

by flingebunt Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: In January there is the Festival of Sydney with a lot of free entertainment, especially the concerts in the domain. Here you can have a picnic and listen to Opera, Classical Music and Jazz with 100,000 other people

Fondest memory: Sydney has one of the most amazing selections of food from around the world.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Sculptures by the sea

by iandsmith Written Oct 25, 2012

Favorite thing: This is the 2012 version of an annual sculpture show that can be viewed between Bondi and Tamarama. Though it's a relatively short walk, it certainly is scenic and definitely worth a look.

Fondest memory: The price is certainly right because it costs nothing and there's such a variation in styles I'm sure you'll find something of interest.
    I attended on a day when the weather was certainly not in my favour although the background of big seas and stormy skies made for some interesting variety in the photographs.

Kaleidoscope cube, one of my favourites Balance with Energies No Return The Optimist and the Dream Stone
    • Photography