Related Sydney Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Sydney

• remoteblogger's Profile Photo

Stay In the CBD

by remoteblogger Written Oct 5, 2013

Favorite thing: Sydney is a great multicultural city where it does not matter where you are from people will teat you exactly the same and with open, friendly arms. There is a great mix of culture an ethnicity which makes the city diverse. They city has a great history although a reality new city compared to European and American cities Sydney is beautiful and an amazing place to visit. Make sure you stay in the city center as Sydney is a big city you do not want to stay far out of the city away from all the action. Its best to stay in the CBD area

Fondest memory: Watching the sun set over the harbor near the opera house and Sydney harbor bridge with my Girlfriend. We stayed right in the CBD so it was easy to get around and more convenient. you can find out more information and book a hot in Sydney here http://www.sydneycbdhotels.net.au/

Taste Fabulous Australian Wines

by cjg1 Updated Apr 10, 2012

Favorite thing: Australia has some fabulous wines from the Hunter Valley and other regions of Australia. During our most recent trip we enjoyed several wonderful Australian wines at the NSW Wine Festival in Hyde Park and even took a few bottles home with us. I would suggest visiting some wine shops or even the Hunter Valley to sample some of these fabulous wines of Australia.

Fun Times with Friends

by cjg1 Updated Apr 10, 2012

Favorite thing: One of the things I love about Sydney are my friends that live here. Any visit to Sydney means fun times with our many circles of friends that we have all over the city. Whether it's the Sutherland shire, Coogee, Parramatta, Balmain or Rose Bay...our friends are always able to meet up for some fun times.

Our last visit to Sydney in 2012 we met up with Helen, Laura, Dazza, Jane, Gavin and of course Jackie who was our gracious hostess.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

A Fabulous Birthday Dinner in Sydney!

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Favorite thing: Every year we go somewhere for my Birthday. In 2010, this somewhere was one of my favorite cities: Sydney. I decided while in this wonderful city I wanted to have my Birthday Dinner at my favorite Sydney Restaurant: Yellow Bistro.

So with two of my favorite people my wife and Laura; we went to Yellow Bistro for my Birthday Diner. Yellow has incredible food and desserts so I knew this meal would be excellent.

We started with some delicious garlic bread and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. I had the sole for dinner, Liz had the tagliatelle with mushrooms and I don't remember what Laura had for an entree. I loved my meal and even managed to grab a bite or two of Liz's pasta.

Dessert was incredible. I has the large portion of Tiramisu which is the best Tiramisu I have ever eaten anywhere. Laura has the chocolate mousse and Liz had the flourless chocolate cake.

It was an incredible meal and we enjoyed the evening. It as one of my favorite Birthday memories.

• NSWP's Profile Photo

Quiet NSW south Coast

by NSWP Written Apr 25, 2010

Favorite thing: Hi, we live at Batemans Bay, about 4 hour drive south of Sydney. If you have time well worth a drive down the south Coast, visiting Kiama, Jervis Bay, Ulladulla, Mollymook and Batemens Bay, unspoilt, no high rise.

Cheers, enjoy your trip.

• Communication difficulties

by funggarybar Written Feb 4, 2010

Favorite thing: Australia is a developed country. However, there are some weaknesses in communications convenience when compared with some asian cities. Very unfortunately, cities like Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast failed to offer free Wifi. Possibly due to the cost of communications. I can only find free Wifi at McDonald. (Or you need to pay for internet fee in average AUD 4 per hour at some cafe)

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Places for Luggage Storage

by Kakapo2 Written Feb 2, 2010

Favorite thing: -

Every now and then someone asks in the Forum where to store luggage in the city, as they do not store luggage anymore at Central Station.

There are only two handy places, one is near the railway station, the other one near Town Hall. A third one is at the Star City Coach Terminal which is "on the other side" of Darling Harbour, not really handy if you are somewhere between Circular Quay and the Railway Station. The fourth in Manly, and finally one, of course, at the airport.

Travellers Contact Point
    Opening Hours: Monday - Friday 09:00 to 18:00, Saturday 10:00 to 16:00, Closed on Sunday & Public Holidays
    Telephone: 1800 647 640 or +61 2 9221 8744
    Location: Dymocks Building, Level 7, 428 George Street
    Website: www.travellers.com.au

Wanderers-Travel.com
    Opening Hours: Monday - Sunday 8:00 to 19:00
    Telephone: +61 2 9280 4933
    Location: 810 George Street, Sydney
    Website: http://www.wanderers-travel.com/aboutus

Here is a complete list of places for luggage storage in Sydney:

• llauraa's Profile Photo

Cheap Eats

by llauraa Written Feb 1, 2010

Favorite thing: You wont have much of a problem finding lunch for $15 or less around that area. You can skip the restaurants and go to the cafes and take-aways around there. As another poster on here said, you are in a CBD area and as such there is a large work force to be fed. If you are on Kent, walk up to the Westpac plaza just at the west end of Wynyard( ask for directions ) and there is a massive food court under there you can take you pick. Not sure what you mean by 'american' food unless you mean MacDonalds & other chains? these are everywhere.
    For dinner I second the previous mention of pubs. Most pubs have their menus on the blackboards or display befre you go in, and just about all of them have something to eat between $15-20. You could get a decent pizza and/or burger for under $15. Also - on Sussex Street ( one street west from Kent) go to the Shelbourne Hotel on Thuesdays - they used to have the $7 dollar steaks. Not sure if they still do but you could google them and find out
    If you are willing to splurge $22 and like seafood there is the All you Can Eat Mussells night at Bungalow 8, King St Wharf, Darling Harbour - also on a Tuesday night. Highly recommend it - but must book in advance as its extremely popular.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

My First Glimpse of Sydney

by LadyRVG Updated Oct 9, 2009

Favorite thing: My first glimpse of Sydney was from my airplane seat. It was absolutely magical flying above the city;gradually seeing landmarks become clearer and clearer. Seeing the Harbor Bridge and the Opera House from the plane was unbelievable. I was so excited to be spending my birthday in a wonderful and new city.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

WhAT TO SEE & DO IN NEW SOUTH WALES..............

by balhannah Written Aug 12, 2009

Favorite thing: There is plenty to see and do in Sydney, and New South Wales, you just have to know about it.

I have listed the New South Wales official website, it should help you decide what to do.

www.visitnsw.com

• Luxury Travel

• gdaysydneysider's Profile Photo

7 Days in Sydney

by gdaysydneysider Written Jul 30, 2009

Favorite thing: 7 days in Sydney? How perfect! I have day by day itineraries for 7 days in Sydney on Google Maps here:

and you can check out what Dervs and Cuzzy (2 travellers from UK and Ireland) thought of each of those experiences here:

or here:

Hope you find something you like!

• Beaches

• gdaysydneysider's Profile Photo

Weather and things to do

by gdaysydneysider Written Jul 30, 2009

Favorite thing: It's a fair question, when I first moved to Sydney I had to get used to the temps because 30degC in Qld is not the same 30degC in Sydney - not as much humidity makes a big difference.

July has been very mild and dry, closer to 70F and blue, blue skies. As mentioned August is our coldest month though but it won't drop much lower than 60F during the day. Some Nth Hemisphere travellers don't realise that we have quite varied temps between night and day so if you're out and about, realise that once that sun goes down the temperature's going to drop significantly.

Because we normally have such great weather, sometimes I find certain areas in Sydney aren't built for rain but if it looks like rain I just pack a compact umbrella in my handbag and I'm fine.

Not sure if this is your thing but the Sydney Design Festival will be on http://www.sydneydesign.com.au/sd09/ and you might catch the end of the International Boat Show at Darling Harbour. Otherwise check out the markets that are on all around town http://bestcityintheworld.wordpress.com/markets/every-weekend/ and if you're into live music there are some great bands in town http://www.moshtix.com.au or http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/gigguide/sydney

Have a great time!

Fondest memory: Cruising the harbour and getting to see the city from a different perspective - i love it!

• Music
    • Festivals

Another Great Sydney Adventure; Liz's 1st

by cjg1 Written Dec 18, 2008

Favorite thing: This past trip to Sydney was my longest time in the city of all my trips. I saw alot of atractions I had previous and some new ones thanks to Liz. Some of my favorite times wer just walking along the Botanical gardens or riding a ferry. Sydney is a special place and I love showing it to Liz. It was her first visit to Sydney and had always wanted to go since she was a little girl. It was a special time and we got to celebrate her birthday down under.

Fondest memory: It was great to see The Gondoliers at the Sydney Opera House for Liz's birthday. It was something both of us wanted to do and we were able to get tickets and very good seats.

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Taste the Local Flavor - Fish 'n Chips

by i-s-a Updated Aug 7, 2008

Fondest memory: .
    Had this local specialty when in Bondi Beach. Fish is fresh and deep-fried in batter so it's crunchy outside, soft and creamy inside. Goes with potato slabs.

You must try it when in Sydney ... really delicious!

One serving cost $8.80.

• Women's Travel

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Taste the Local Flavor - Meat Pie

by i-s-a Updated Aug 7, 2008

Fondest memory: .
    First time for me to taste meat pie during our second day as volunteer. It was served as our lunch. This particular pie is of Mrs Mac brand. It is delicious and filling meal ... just be careful of the hot meat and gravy.

It is said that meat pies are icons or part of an original Australian symbol.

• Women's Travel

Latest: Apr 10, 2014
Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour
Y on the Park Hotel Sydney

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Sydney Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Sydney locals.
Map of Sydney