Related Sydney Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Sydney

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Public Toilets

by cjg1 Updated Oct 29, 2007

Favorite thing: Another really great thing about Sydney is that they make it easy for you to keep exploring. This luckily includes public bathrooms.

They are everywhere, especially in the tourist centers. You will often and almost always find a place to easily make a quick pit stop and keep moving.

Thank you Sydney for making your city so tourist friendly.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Very Rare Wollemi Tree

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 10, 2008

Favorite thing: The "Wollemi Pine" is one of the most protected and endangered of the trees found here in the garden. In 1994 one Wollemi Pine was discovered in the Blue Mountain range after being thought extint. You can find a few of the Wollemi Pines planted in the garden. The first tree was grown from a seedling.

Wollemi Tree A baby Wollemi Tree

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Meeting up with some VT friends

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 21, 2008

Favorite thing: VT has so many great active members and it was really nice to meet up with a few of them. I had the pleasure of meeting the lovely Laura (llaura) on a few occassions during my trip to Sydney. She's a great gal and so much fun to be around. She met us for lunch at Watsons Bay and then again for a few drinks at the Establishment.

Doug (Aussiedoug) is another great Aussie who I had the pleasure of meeting. He meet up with us for lunch on our last day and even drove us to the airport!! (Doug, you own me a visit to the museum, lol)!

Thanks Laura and Doug for making my experience in Sydney a very memorable one!!

Chris and Laura at Doyle's Watsons Bay

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Another Great Sydney Adventure; Liz's 1st

by cjg1 Written Dec 18, 2008

Favorite thing: This past trip to Sydney was my longest time in the city of all my trips. I saw alot of atractions I had previous and some new ones thanks to Liz. Some of my favorite times wer just walking along the Botanical gardens or riding a ferry. Sydney is a special place and I love showing it to Liz. It was her first visit to Sydney and had always wanted to go since she was a little girl. It was a special time and we got to celebrate her birthday down under.

Fondest memory: It was great to see The Gondoliers at the Sydney Opera House for Liz's birthday. It was something both of us wanted to do and we were able to get tickets and very good seats.

• keida84's Profile Photo

No Jet Lag

by keida84 Written Jun 11, 2005

Favorite thing: No Jet Lag:
    I found this product at Trader Joe’s market and purchased it through Magellan’s travel catalog. It is a homeopathic remedy (it does not interfere with any prescription drugs you take, and I take some pretty heavy duty prescriptions.) You take 1 pill on take off and 1 every 2 -4 hours of flight time then one on landing. I was amazed that I had no signs of jet lag when we finally arrived in Sydney. We used it returning as well and neither of us suffered that extreme burned out, spacey feeling that comes with long haul travel.

Now remember, always check with your physican about any medications that you take. This product may not be suitable for you.

Me? Jet lagged? No way

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Carols in the Domain

by martin_nl Written Jan 19, 2004

Fondest memory: Every year right before christmas, there is a big event in the Domain, called Carols in the Domain, a park right next to my hostel. And the fun we had there. I had never expected it to be so much fun. I mean singing along with x-mas songs together with 100000 people..... sounds quite boring to me. But in fact it was one of the best nights I had here in Sydney. From the hostel we had to walk up a hill and some steps to get to the Domain, but at the top, there was one big ocean of light! Everyone had little candles and a red cap around it provided by 7, the main sponsor and broadcasting channel. You should have seen our faces when we saw all this, we were amazed!! If you ever go to Australisa around x-mas time, make sure to check this event out!!!!!

Carols in the Domain tent, day before the event

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Australia's National Flag

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 4, 2006

Favorite thing: One of the things you may notice when you get to Sydney is the Australian National Flag. It has a few unique facts, like that it is the only flag to fly over an entire continent. Also, this flag is the only one not to contain the Country's National Colours (Green and Gold).

The Australian flag contains a Union Jack (National flag of Great Britian) in the upper left hand corner, and then contains the Southern Cross as well.

For more information on the symbols of Australia, check out the Australian National Website:

Australia's National Flag

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

Telephones

by cybergenic Updated Mar 4, 2007

Favorite thing: Telephones: Public phones can be found on the street, in hotels, cafes and shops. Local calls cost 50 cents. International and long distance phone calls can be made from any public phone. The TELSTRA PHONEAWAY CARD is a prepaid card which charges calls at competitive international prices which can be used to call more than 30 countries. The TELSTRA PHONEAWAY CARD can be used from most phones and is available from leading travel agencies,airport shops and from Telstra shops. If in an emergency dial 000 for police, ambulance and fire.
    Make sure you use the corect coinage as you will not be given any change.
    SCUMBAGS!

Fondest memory: Directory Assistance - 1223

Dialling Information
    To call overseas using International Direct you simply dial the International Access Code - either 0011 or 0018 - followed by the dialling sequence indicated below for the country you wish to call.
    Example: To call Los Angeles 555 1212 dial 0011 or 0018 + 1 + 213 + 555 1212

Charges
    Telstra International Direct offers a choice of 0011 Minutes** or 0018 Half Hours*.

0011 Minutes
    For shorter chats, why not take advantage of Telstra's 0011 low per minute rates, charged on a per second basis. There is no minimum time charge for Telstra's 0011 per minute calling. You are only charged for the amount of time you use!**

0018 Half Hours
    For a long chat, use 0018 Half Hours, and you'll know exactly how much your call will cost up front. 0018 Half Hours allow you to make international calls for hour hour time blocks at a pre-determined price. Warning beeps will tell you when your half hour block is almost up#. If your 0018 call is disconnected and you redial within 20 minutes of disconnection, the two calls will be treated as one. To obtain this benefit, call the enquiries number when you receive your bill.

** A call connection fee applies. Only available for direct dial calls from most fixed phones. Excludes some calls and some Telstra services.

* Same charge exists for each half hour block or part thereof. If the call lasts for one minute or less, a charge of $1.10 applies instead of the half hour charge. 0018 Half Hours call charges are not eligible for any other discounts. Only available for direct dial calls to/from most home fixed phones. Excludes calls to an international mobile numbers (non-roaming), in some destinations.
    # Warning tones will sound at 20 and 28 minutes. The warning tones are reset from the beginning of each new call.

International Codes can be found at

A public phone booth

• keida84's Profile Photo

Tourist Refund Scheme

by keida84 Updated Jun 18, 2005

Favorite thing: This sign cracked me up when I saw it "Tourist Refund Scheme". In the US we utilize this word to describe a secret plot or deceitful plan so imagine much to my funny bone, what went through my head when I saw this sign in the Sydney airport!!

In Sydney they use the words "Scheme" to define a systemized plan such as the "Tourist Refund Scheme" Those who are not citizens of Australia can save all their receipts and receive the tax they paid as they depart the country.

We did not do this, however, I did notice a lot of the stores and shops we patronized did not charge us sales tax once they knew we were not from Australia. Gee, I wonder what gave me away?

I didn't know tourists had a deposit on them?

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Taste the Local Flavor - Fish 'n Chips

by i-s-a Updated Aug 7, 2008

Fondest memory: .
    Had this local specialty when in Bondi Beach. Fish is fresh and deep-fried in batter so it's crunchy outside, soft and creamy inside. Goes with potato slabs.

You must try it when in Sydney ... really delicious!

One serving cost $8.80.

• Women's Travel

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Taste the Local Flavor - Meat Pie

by i-s-a Updated Aug 7, 2008

Fondest memory: .
    First time for me to taste meat pie during our second day as volunteer. It was served as our lunch. This particular pie is of Mrs Mac brand. It is delicious and filling meal ... just be careful of the hot meat and gravy.

It is said that meat pies are icons or part of an original Australian symbol.

• Women's Travel

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

My First Glimpse of Sydney

by LadyRVG Updated Oct 9, 2009

Favorite thing: My first glimpse of Sydney was from my airplane seat. It was absolutely magical flying above the city;gradually seeing landmarks become clearer and clearer. Seeing the Harbor Bridge and the Opera House from the plane was unbelievable. I was so excited to be spending my birthday in a wonderful and new city.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Mustering the energy to go out to eat

by b1bob Written Feb 21, 2003

Fondest memory: On finally arriving at the hotel, everybody was on their own steam. I was so tired I only wanted to eat at the hotel restaurant, cancel Mr. Rath's wake-up call, take the lift up to my room, write my post cards, and go to sleep. At only 6.30, I was already plumb knackered for three reasons. I barely mustered the energy to go to this restaurant whose name escapes me. If I weren't so hungry, I would have bypassed supper and done the other abovementioned things. Mama managed to convince the rest of our group except for the Raths to join us. We went there by hotel courtesy van free of charge, but we had to go back by taxi. The restaurant was very English, that kind of food was the last thing my stomach needed. The ceiling is very high and the walls painted pink with white lattice decoration. I was ill-at-ease in there because it was so bloody cold and because it struck me as the type of snobbish restaurant requiring a dress code even though it didn't in fact have one. I ordered the chicken Kiev (a chicken breast stuffed with butter and herbs) with rice and salad. Australia is known for many things- salads are not among them. On waiting for the taxi, my brother pitched a hissy because he wasn't going to be in the same taxi as Kim and Holly. I didn't give a hoot who I returned to the hotel with at this point just as long as I could get to bed soon, however somebody had to teach His Royal Highness that pitching a hissy won't always get him his way. The taxi driver was very interesting. He was able to guess where I was born and where I was living based on my so-called accent. I don't talk with any kind of accent, it's all those foreigners from outside the South which have the accent :) As tired as I was, I still remembered to cancel Mr. Rath's wake-up call which would have been at 5.00. After that, I took the lift up, skipped the post cards, and went to sleep before my head hit the pillow.

Sydney skyline

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

PARTY

by martin_nl Updated Nov 8, 2004

Favorite thing: Sydney is a great party place. There are so many nice areas where you can go out. My favourite places are O'Mally's, 3 Wise Monkeys and Scruffy Murphy's. Check out my nightlife tips for some more info. A schedule for if you don't know what to do:

Monday: Quiznight at William Hotel and crab racing at the Scubar
    Saturday: Cargo Bar in Darling Harbour
    Sunday: Beau at O'Mally's

Party with the colleauges

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo

Did you know about Australia's Camels??

by RedEaredPanda Written Sep 8, 2005

Favorite thing: You may have heard a lot about riding camels in Australia's outback and you may have seen camel rides on the beach but did you know that camels are NOT native to Australia at all?? In fact, the population of wild camels in Australia has increased to such high numbers, the government has declared them as a problem.

In some reports, the numbers of wild camels roaming Australias northern territories are as high as half a million and they are said to be doubling in population every 8 to 10 years. The camels have become problematic not only in northern territories but beginning to have an effect in western Australia and Queensland as well. Amongst a few of the problems facing Australians and camels is their destruction of fences and tapping into water supplies of cattlemen and their diet of leaves and shrubs of trees may send some species of trees to extinction.

Australia brought over camels in 1920's from Afghanistan to aid with transportation but today, export of camels from Australia back to Afghanistan and middle east and Indonesia is likely.

We like riding camels and look harmless and sometimes cute.. Just stay away from their stinky breath though..

Just the two of us

Dlux Budget Hotel
Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Cross King @ Kings Cross Sydney

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Sydney Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Sydney locals.
Map of Sydney