Zoo / Wildlife, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Get Aquainted with a Koala

by LadyRVG Updated Apr 16, 2012

Me and the Fuzzball!

Favorite thing: The one activity that was a must for me during our visit to Sydney was getting up close and personal with a Koala. On my Birthday trip in 2007; Chris took me to Taronga park for my first Koala encounter. I must admit the bears are very cute and fuzy but they are rather stinky(Phew.....). Our particular Koala seemed attracted to the smell of my hair but thanks to a quick thinking trainer he was grabbed before he could "climb" me.

Since that first experience I have fed and petted the fuzzy creatures at Featherdale and at Symbio. They still are stinky but so adorable.

Koalas

Fuzzball in the tree

Favorite thing: My wife has a big love of Koalas. During our trips to Sydney I have found ways to have Koala encounters for her. Taronga Park lets you take a picture with the Koala but no touching, plus the last time the Koala wanted to eat her head...long story. Symbio and Featherdale Animal Parks both have Koala encounters where you can touch and feed the Koalas. Both Symbio and Featherdale allowed Liz her up close and personal experience with her favorite "Fuzzballs", as she calls them.

If you are an animal lover or travelling with children I would suggest you try visiting Symbio and Featherdale for these Koala encounters.

**Just like any animal; they do poop. Be prepared for a little Koala poop pellets when you get up close and personal. They are animals and do have a strong smell; so be prepared for the stink. ***

Kangaroos

by cjg1 Updated Jun 29, 2010
    Liz and her new friend....

Favorite thing: Animals encounters are a must do when in Sydney; especially getting up close and personal with Kangaroos. Liz and I enjoyed visited two Animal Parks: Featherdale and Symbio. Both parks allowed guests to feed the Kangaroos which was awesome. The Kangaroos were very tame and hoped right over to get fed. We were able to pet them and experience their soft fur.

Fondest memory: Animals encounters are a must do when in Sydney; especially getting up close and personal with Kangaroos. Liz and I enjoyed visited two Animal Parks: Featherdale and Symbio. Both parks allowed guests to feed the Kangaroos which was awesome. The Kangaroos were very tame and hoped right over to get fed. Even little kids were able to get up close and touch the Kangaroos; they were very gentle. We were able to pet them and watch them hop about. If you are an animal lover this is a must do when in Sydney.

• Beaches

Kookabura

by cjg1 Updated Jun 29, 2010

Favorite thing: Kookaburras are birds found in Australia, New Guinea and the Aru Islands. You will definitely hear a Kookaburra before you see one; they make noise that sounds like human laughter. There are four different species of these birds with different physical traits and colorings.

Wombats

by cjg1 Updated Jun 29, 2010

Favorite thing: Wombats marsupials native to Australia. They are short and almost pig like in appearance with a furry coat. They have short legs and a very small tail. They might be small but they do move quickly in their zoo enclosures. They are usually found in forest and mountain areas of south east Australia and Tasmania.

During our visits to Sydney and beyond we have enjoyed seeing Wombats at Cymbio, Featherdale and Toronga Park.

Kangaroos

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 11, 2008

Favorite thing: Kangaroos were another creature I wanted to see while in Australia, but in Sydney, the only experience you will have with them is here in Taronga Zoo.

Seeing the Kangaroos in their native land was nice, I guess if I wanted to see one in the wild, I'd have to travel to the "outback".

All in all, it was fun seeing them hop around and finding a comfortable spot to lay in.

Koala

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 11, 2008

My pic with the Koala

Favorite thing: When most people think of Australia they have in their mind a few images, and the Koala is surely one of them. Watching T.V. commercials of Qantas and the cuddly Koala would make anyone want to travel there just to be up close and personal with one of these magnificient creatures. I have seen thousand of Koalas in zoos, but I wanted to actually touch the furry creature.

Fondest memory: When we planned our trip, my only requisite was to get close and personal with a Koala. To my disappointment you are not allowed to touch, feed or otherwise get too close to the Koalas at Taronga Zoo.

The only experience you actually get is to be photographed with these wonderful creatures, a shame, I really wanted to touch that thick coat.

Flying Foxes

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 10, 2008

Favorite thing: One of the highlighs to the garden for me were the "flying foxes". Flying Foxes are fruit bats and there were hundreds of them flying in the garden during daylight time making these horrible screaking sounds.

The park ranger informed us that our visit coincided with their mating season. (More info on my Botanic Gardens travelogue).

Birds of Sydney

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 9, 2008

The Sacred Ibis

Favorite thing: The Botanic Gardens and Domain were teeming with beautiful and exotic (well for me anyway) birds. It amazed me and I loved the fact that they went about their business while not minding people at all.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

An emu with good musical taste

by b1bob Updated Feb 16, 2005

emu

Fondest memory: We went on 4 July 1991 to another zoo about a half hour west of Katoomba. However, in this one, you can interact with the animals. There are photos of me together with a kangaroo and of an emu (an Australian ostrich) chasing my brother for 10 minutes, blocking his escape route. I'm guessing the "Metallica" decal on the back of my brother's jacket freaked the emu out. I don't know if the bird was a country fan, but it's nice to see a bird with discerning musical tastes.

• dlandt's Profile Photo

The Australian Wildlife Park

by dlandt Written Nov 25, 2003

Emu

Favorite thing: I guess this is an OK attraction. It would have been better if we were younger or had children. The park is reasonably sized with about 40 exhibits of Australian wildlife, including a kangaroo petting area. This is a tame zoo environment suitable for small children and educational in that it puts on reptile, wool shearing and other shows. If you hold cookies in your hand the dingos follow you from one end of the cage to the other.

• Theme Park Trips

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Cockatoos - and these are all wild

by CdnJane Written Jun 14, 2003

Cockatoos just walking about

Favorite thing: Something that amazed me in Australia, not just Sydney, are that there are wild birds that here in Canada are only found in pet stores and zoos/aviaries.
    My friends and I came out of a restaurant to see all these Cockatoos in the trees and on the ground. Just amazed and thrilled me. My friends were amused at my reaction - they were used to it.

• Birdwatching

• Canadienne's Profile Photo

Wildlife in Sydney

by Canadienne Written Mar 31, 2003

Sacred Ibis, Sydney Street

Favorite thing: While many of the birds that seemed to populate the city were common to Sydney-ites, it was new and unusual for me to see them wandering around like pigeons. What is considered a pest in one place. . .is worth a fortune in another.

• Birdwatching

• unravelau's Profile Photo

Aboriginal Cave Drawings

by unravelau Updated Mar 2, 2003

Cave Drawings at Taronga Park.

Favorite thing: I am sure that there are more around Sydney but the only ones that I have seen are those highlighted at Taronga Park Zoo.............so if your time in Sydney is limited, I can recommend a trip over the harbour on the ferry and to the Zoo. If you go to the top and work your way down these drawings may be found in the Australian section that starts immediately from the left hand side when you come through the turnstyles. PS it is a good idea to pick up one of their maps from the kiosk just to your right when you go in.

Fondest memory: I can remember singing in the School's choir every year and performing on the Sydney Town Hall with representatives from all of the other schools. Must be a sign of age, or is it that the long term memory rushes up to take the short term memory's place? Ha Ha.

• Adventure Travel

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Tauronga Zoo

by b1bob Updated Feb 21, 2003

Tasmanian Devil

Fondest memory: At the zoo, we took lunch first as it was near noon. I only ate a couple of gut bombers (fast food hamburgers or hot dogs). and chips because I still wasn't hungry because that good, hot breakfast was still with me. There were doves and seagulls flying overhead. We were lucky not to have been their target, which is more than I can say for a group of German tourists 3 tables over. We saw animals unique to Australia such as the duck-billed platypus and the Tasmanian Devil. On taking photos of the platypus, I didn't know photos were prohibited. I didn't get caught, the picture turned out, so forbidden photos are worth a lot more than ones you have permission to take.

Instant Answers: Sydney