Australian People, Sydney

• Susumarie's Profile Photo

The Beauty of the People

by Susumarie Written Jan 16, 2009

Darling Harbour with new Canberra Friends

I was so very impressed with the kindness and beauty of all the Australian people we came into contact with, especially in some of the really difficult moments. The best example being New Year's Eve -- and again, being in Sydney, you have to be part of the fireworks, I suppose, but I would never do it again. However, as part of that evening, we met quite a few truly wonderful people. We started on the Darling Harbour bridge for the 9 pm show, where we met a family from Canberra -- they just started a conversation with us, and kept us entertained the whole time we were there, plus offering us all their goodies, plus lots of advice for the rest of our evening. When we got back over to The Rocks, the influx of people was very scary, and as the time passed, hoards of drunks continued to push over us to the point we were almost trampled. It was at this time a very good Sydney family pulled us inside of their position, protecting us from the onslaught. He let me know he was too smart to be there -- but allowed out-of-towners to talk him in to bringing them. These are just extreme examples, though. I just found happiness and goodwill from everyone I came into contact with -- made for a memorable holiday.

• keida84's Profile Photo

The Wearing O' The Black!

by keida84 Written Jun 9, 2005

I got up early one day so I could take the ferry boat up to Mosman Bay when I noticed something. There were hoards of people heading into Sydney CBD for their day at work and the vast majority of them were wearing black.

Everywhere I looked I saw people dressed in black. Some women accented their black attire with a pair of red shoes or pink ribbon and the men wore mainly white shirts but some were renegade and actually wore light blue shirts and *gasp* I saw one man wearing a purple shirt with his suit.

Now I don't know if this is a fashion trend but it cracked me up to see it.

• Business Travel

Aboriginals

by cjg1 Written Jan 16, 2009

When we were walking in Circular Quay there were some Aboriginal people in traditinal dress and face paint playing the didgeridoo. You were able to take picture of them and with them for a small "donation".

• sneakye's Profile Photo

We won't bite

by sneakye Updated Jul 13, 2006

I'm an Aussie, and we're nice! haha!
    Seriously though - we are a very multicultural country and I think the most
    endearing thing about us is that we're mostly pretty friendly and layed back.
    I personally love meeting people from other countries.
    So never be scared to come and ask and Aussie for directions or help - most
    of the time we'd be more than happy to help.
    Enjoy your trip to Australia!!

• Singles

• Fudge's Profile Photo

Watch that Aussie tilt :)

by Fudge Updated Jan 29, 2005

Found -- at Sydney zoo

Generally Australians will be friendly to you after you make the first move. Unlike Canadians who are warmly forthcoming and helpful, Australians tend to be a bit more conservative in their 'first approaches', although pls note generalisations are just that -- very general.

U should also be a bit wary that while it may look like aussies are a bit arrogant (not all peacocks open their feathers for you), they are not really arrogant that way.

I found that as long as I made the effort, most aussies were very friendly, helpful and warm towards me. U have to show that you've adapted to their place.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Study Abroad

Street Performers

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

As in most cities; you will find street performers. In Sydney there were several costumed performers at various tourist sites; Darling Harbour, Circular Quay, etc. Take a picture if you must but remember to throw some cash their way for their trouble.

Didgeridoo

by cjg1 Written Mar 29, 2010

The didgeridoo is a wind instrument developed by Indigenous Australians about 1,500 years ago. This musical instrument can be found in souvenir shops and being played by Aboriginal performers around tourist areas such as Circular Quay.

• FreeSkye's Profile Photo

I'm tempted to say you can do...

by FreeSkye Written Aug 24, 2002

I'm tempted to say you can do what you like - but I guess its like accents - you think you speak neutral and everyone else sounds strange . . . men and women are treated fairly equally (like most other places) - other than that just be nice - smile, thank people, don't get agressive - all the usualy stuff!

• S_R_NAIDU's Profile Photo

CULTURAL TIPS or CULTURAL...

by S_R_NAIDU Written Aug 24, 2002

CULTURAL TIPS or CULTURAL LINKS...

Our friends and close relatives in Australia...make us want to visit them. Sydney appears to be a cosmopolitan city. There are people of many races, religons and cultures. However, my interest was in the Aboriginal people of Australia. These people were there well before their land was colonised. However, some areas and roads have Aboriginal names.

• Ichiban_Martin's Profile Photo

Kylie-Mania

by Ichiban_Martin Written Feb 14, 2003

One of the few Australians who have made it - most Australians are proud of her being an Australian. ... Maybe this hype is also happening because she isn't that ugly..... ;-)

• JohnCarter's Profile Photo

Wedding

by JohnCarter Written Nov 19, 2004

Peninsula under Harbour Bridge (VNP)

Just a nice pic I wanted to put here. Its a view from the Harbour Bridge down to the small peninsula on which we saw a wedding :)

• chennaismartguy's Profile Photo

Performance by an Aboriginal person

by chennaismartguy Updated Feb 26, 2007
    Aboriginal

Its a nice experience to see an Aboriginal personal performing their traditional music instruments near the Circular Quay

Instant Answers: Sydney