Nightclubs and bars in Sydney

by AusPinay

Most Viewed Nightlife in Sydney

Gymea Hotel: Okay Pub Grub...Interesting Atmosphere

by cjg1 Updated May 21, 2013

The Gymea Hotel is a local pub not too far from where our friend Laura lives. We came here with Laura and Beck to enjoy some pub grub and drinks.

The pub has several areas within with large bar space, tables, chairs, couches and their food kiosk to get some food. During our visit it was the time of the "schoolies" so all the kids were out of school and looking to get fall down drunk. This made for some interesting people watching as the amount of train wrecks were plentiful.

Liz and I had ourselves a steak sandwich here which was pricey and not exactly great.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Three Wise Monkeys: Of course we're going to fling beer....

by LadyRVG Updated Apr 30, 2012

The Three Wise Monkeys is a pub we've loved from the first time we set foot inside. We had just arrived back from a tour of the Blue Mountains during our February 2010 visit and our bus driver, Bob recommended the place.

The pub is known as “backpackers” hangout so we got some interesting looks from some people when we told them we liked the place. I’m not one to care what people think or what the popular opinion is so I just shrugged it off. The pub is exactly what my husband and I like; a casual place where we can relax and enjoy ourselves. The vibe inside is a no worries attitude where everyone just mingles whether they’re in a suit or loaded up with a pack on their back. The beer here is cheap and the pub grub is quite good.

Our last two visits to Sydney in November 2010 and February 2012; we found ourselves here enjoying some drinks. Like I say when we are here “See No Evil, Speak No Evil, Beer No Evil”…lol

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

The Australian Hotel: We always find ourselves here....

by LadyRVG Written Apr 13, 2012

My husband and I always seem to find oursleves here. Our last three trips to Sydney have brought us to the Australian. It must be the casual and friendly vibe of the place that draws us back every time. We're able to relax and enjoy life while having a beer and people watching.

The Australian Hotel has been keeping customers happy since 1824 and at this location since 1913. The service here is always friendly as if you come here all the time. The place is always hopping no matter what time of day with a large mix of locals. The pub is a bit off the regular tourist path in the Rocks; so a tourist would have to have this spot in mind to find themselves here.

There is plenty of space even when the place is busy with a large outdoor seating area that wraps around the building as well as indoor seating. I've never had a problem finding a seat and usually our favorite table is available(yes, we have a favorite table).

I love the old feel and charm of the place. I always feel transported to another erea when I sit at one of the old wooden tables and enjoy a beer. It really is a great place and I love coming here.

4 Pines: Relaxing and Casual

by LadyRVG Updated Mar 21, 2012

4 Pines is a pub/restaurant in Manly. My husband and I just finished a delicious pizza lunch across the street at the Manly Wharf Hotel before we ventured across the street. Our friend Jackie had told us to check this place out and I'm glad we did.

From the minute we entered; I loved the place. The simplistic decor and casual atmosphere is exactly what I want in a bar. I want to be able to relax and enjoy my drink and my husband's company without the worry if I'm dressed appropriately or ordering the "fashionable" drink. The bartenders and patrons all had that chill vice that really makes a place cozy and inviting to me.

Chris and I hopped into some seats by the bar with a barrel table. I know this is the place to have a beer since they make their own speciality brands but I wanted a nice chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc. Hubby went for one of their specialty ciders that was made with pears. I was quite happy with my refresingly crisp wine but I did steal a sip from my hubby. I'm not a fan of pears but the cider was very good; the pear flavor was subtle and not overpowering.

We sat back, relaxed and enjoyed the view through the treeline across the street to the Wharf. Ahh...it was so relaxing and enjoyable spending time with my Husband and chatting about life.

• Beer Tasting

4 Pines: Good Brewery in Manly

by cjg1 Updated Mar 12, 2012

4 Pines is a local Brewery in Manly that specializes in Handcrafted beer brewed naturally. They brew their beer in small batches to ensure quality and flavor. Liz and I came here upon recommendation from our friend Jackie.

The Brewery is right across from the ferry terminal. 4 pines has a large selection of their home brew in bottles and on tap along with wine and other beverages. Variety of beer change frequently and there are specialty beers for certain times of the year. I really enjoy a good beer and I couldn’t wait to try something special.

We arrived at 4 Pines after enjoying a nice lunch at the Manly Wharf Hotel across the street. It was ungodly hot that day with high humidity and temperatures in the 90’s. I couldn’t wait to sit and have something cold to drink. 4 Pines is upstairs in a small mall like complex. There is the main bar area with tables and booths surrounding it as well as a covered terrace with a view of the Wharf.

We decided to have a seat at one of the barrel tables by the bar. After perusing the selections of beer; I chose one of their Ciders. The Cider was a Pear cider with a crisp, light and fruity taste; very nice. Liz chose a glass of Sauvignon Blanc; as she was feeling “beered out” for the day. This place was a delight for us; I truly felt relaxed and comfortable here. It was the perfect way to unwind and beat the heat. I can’t wait to return and see what else they have brewed up.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Three Wise Monkeys: See no Evil, Hear No Evil, Beer No Evil....

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

The Three Wise Monkeys was a bar we literally stumbled upon one day after getting off a train during our February 2010 trip. The Three Large Monkey Statues out front were a definite sign of this was the "Monkey" Bar.....After we saw the bar we remembered one of our friends had told us it was a "Big Backpackers" Bar. I'm not one to care what people think of a place; I want to try it for myself. So Liz and I headed in for a few drinks. The place is rather large with tons of seating. They have a nice selection of beer, wine and mixed drinks as well as food.

We found a nice table in the back for two and settled in with our beers. It was nice to relax and unwind with a few beers and mull over our day and future evening plans. The crowd was a mix of locals and tourists but everyone seemed to be in their own world as were we.

I liked the monkey statues out front representing;" Speak no evil, see no evil, hear no evil". My wife changed the last line to "Beer no evil"...which I thought was a hoot.

During our November 2010 trip we returned to the "Monkey" Bar and found it the same relaxed place it was the last visit.

Dress Code: Casual

Zeta Bar: Fun Rooftop Bar

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

Zeta Bar is one of the bars located in the Hilton. What appealed to me about this place was their unique cocktails and their rooftop bar. Liz and I decided to head to Zeta for some pre-dinner drinks. The best was to describe this bar in my wife's words is "Sexy". The interior of the bar has rich warm colors with comfy couches and chairs arranged in intimate little nooks. The rooftop bar has the same intimate seating arrangements with comfy seats and low tables. The views from the rooftop are incredible. I can see how this is one of the nighttime hot spots with all this place has to offer.

We decided to sit outside since the weather was nice without being too warm. We were seated at a nice area for two with comfy chairs and a low table. After perusing the long drink menu filled with assorted cocktails, liquor, wines and beers we decided on a JW Green for me and a Luxury Zeta Margarita for Liz.

Our drinks arrived and we were rather intrigued by Liz's drink. The Zeta Margarita was served in a martini glass on top of a platter. On the platter was a caramelized lime shell filled with a sea salt foam. On the side was a large line of sea salt with a silver spoon. The Waitress explained that you should dip the spoon into the foam and then the salt. This allows the right amount of lime and salt flavor for each person. Ok....complicated but whatever. Liz drank her Margarita which she said was good but she prefers hers usually with a nice salty rim....not deconstructed. The cocktails here are on the pricey side with Liz's Margarita being $28 dollars.

We had a fun time here at Zeta chatting with the waitress and bartender and enjoying the city views. To me this is a must see when in Sydney for a fun time with interesting cocktails.

Dress Code: Smart casual.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

The Club House Bar: A few Beers before the 18 Footers Race

by cjg1 Updated Jan 7, 2011

Before hopping on to the spectator ferry to watch the 18 footers race we grabbed a beer at the Club House Bar. The bar is a casual place filled with members of the league and their sailig enthusiast friends. The place has a nice view of Double Bay and we enjoyed watching the race preparations while drinking our beer.

Zeta Bar: Fun Rooftop Bar with Interesting Cocktails

by LadyRVG Updated Aug 26, 2010

Zeta Bar is a rooftop bar located in the Sydney Hilton. I had read a review on this before before our trip and definitely wanted to check it out for myself. Chris and I were already at the Hilton and to enjoy some cocktails in the beautiful weather.

The bar has two sections; one inside and the rooftop outdoor terrace. Inside is quite lareg with an array of couches, chairs and cozy seating arrangements. Chris and I were greated by the hostess and seated outside oer our request. The rooftop area is small but very comfortable. We were handed drink menus and spent at least ten minutes looking over the large selection of specialty drinks, hard liquors, wines and champagne before making a decision.

I decided to have their Zeta Margarita and Chris has JW( I think it was Green or Gold). Our drinks arrive and I was quite surpised at mine. My Margarita was in a martini glass on a long wooden plate. On the plate was a lime filled with lime foam, lime wedges and a long line of salt on the plate with a small silver spoon(it almost looked like a line of cocaine..very strange). I must have looked puzzled and the server said it's a deconsructed Margarita. The bar feels hat the best way to have a margarita was this way. Dip the spoon into the lime foam and them into the salt. Scoop this mix of foam and salt into your mouth then drink the Margarita. Seems a bit much when all I want is some salt on the rim of the glass.

I followed instructions and found it to be an okay Margarita and deifintely not worth the price of $28. Even though the Margarita was less than stellar I did enjoy being outside with the beautiful city around me. Chris and I had a great time relaxing at Zeta and even had some good conversation with some of the wait staff about their recent Stateside visits.

I think I would have had a better drink if I stuck to something simple such as a glass of wine or champagne. Regardless of the drink I loved the laid back and funky atmosphere of Zeta and will definitely return again.

Dress Code: Smart casual

Marble Bar: Cocktails in an Elegant Setting

by LadyRVG Updated Aug 26, 2010

Marble Bar is one of the bars located in the lowe level of the Sydney Hilton. We had wanted to relax after a long day and enjoy some cocktails before heading out to dinner. My husband had been to this establishment during previous trips and knew that I would like the decor and atmosphere.

The bar was built in 1893 and is perfectly Victorian in style. I love all things Victorian and this decor is the height of stylish Victorian. Beuatiful marble arches, stained glass, mahogany bars and the incredible nudes by Julian Ashton. As soon as we walked in my eyes were delighted by the entire scene.

After I had taken a momement to soak in the visual splendor; we found a seat and took a look at the drink menu. I was in heaven when I saw they had one of my favorit drinks on the menu; a Bellini so I had to have one. My husband wanted a beer (not sure of the exact one though). I was amazed at how quick the service was and how fast we received our drinks.

With drinks in hand we were able to get cozy on the couch and relax. The bar was a great place to people watch since a steady flow of people came in and out of the bar. I notice that even though Sydney is a casual city the patrons were all dressed very well; which I appreciated.

My Bellini was okay. Nothing spectacular and not exactly made in the tradtional way. I didn't mind much since I loved the atmosphere and had a wonderful time with my husband.

Dress Code: Most people were dressed smart casual or in business attire. This is not the place to look like a slob.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Northies: The Local Pub?!

by cjg1 Written Aug 2, 2010

Northies is the local "pub" as Laura called it. It is not what we would consider a pub...it's more like a nightclub/danceclub with live music and some gambling thrown in for good measure.

There were several areas to this place. We stayed in what they called "the grown up area". One of the other sections was filled with the young kids and teenagers...we felt as if we were babysitting.

It's definitly an interesting place to people watch for sure with all the drunken mayhem that ensues. We watched a couple of rowdy people getting bounced out and one girl even went toe to toe with the cops.... There was also a local guy who is about 70 who likes to take his shirt off and sing with whatever band happens to be playing...what a character.

Sweeney's: A Bit of a Dive Bar in a Dodgy part of the City

by cjg1 Updated Jul 27, 2010

Sweeney's is definitely what I call a "dive" bar. I am not opposed to dive bars but this one was a bit too on the shady side for my liking. The place was filled with questionable people who seemed to be looking for trouble. My wife needed to use the restroom and was told to go upstairs for one. After climing a large flight of twisty stairs she came upon a bunch of guys smoking cigars and playing cards right next to the restrooms. hat freaked her out a bit so she came right back down. The vibe was definitely not a comfortable one but we decided to finish up our one beer and move on. After we had left and told one of our friends where we had been...she was surprised that we even went into the place since she said "It's quite dodgy there".

There are plenty of pubs in Sydney to visit...don't make this one of them.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

O'Malley's Irish Pub: A good spot at Kings Cross

by muratkorman Written May 30, 2009

O'Malley's is right at the beginning of Kings Cross. This Irish Pub has different bands playing live every day of the week. I suggest here for a night out with live music, friendly people and good beer.

Dress Code: Casual

• Susumarie's Profile Photo

Sydney Harbor: New Year's Eve

by Susumarie Written Jan 13, 2009

Australia is the beginning of the new year, and Sydney Harbor is where the big fireworks are really displayed, so this is the place to be -- I suppose. We were here for New Years Eve, and I am glad we got to see the display, but I would NEVER do it again. We were told people were camping out all day long to have the best spots, but I sure was not going to waste my day in Sydney sitting around (I can tell you elsewhere how much better I spent the day!)
    If you do go to Sydney for New Year's Eve, I will tell you they shut off the area leading up to the Opera House by 3 pm. The area then leading over to the Botanical garden gets closed down by 6 pm. We went out to the Darling Harbour (which is where they told everyone at the Botanical Garden at 6 to go to), and that is where they had a show at 9 (for the kids). We met up with a beautiful family from Canberra there who pointed out we would see nothing of the midnight Sydney show from Darling --- oh, the herd we trampled with going back! We got to the The Rock for the midnight show, and it was a zoo; why they weren't shutting off the people coming in, I don't understand, and we did almost get trampled! But, we were part of it (would NEVER do it again).

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Marriott Sydney Harbour Hotel: Stay in and enjoy your suite

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 11, 2008

When you spend as much money as we did on an Executive Suite you have to take advantage of all the amentities that a Suite has to offer, and we definitely spent most of our nights doing just that.

The Suite was glorious, with killer views of Sydney Harbour Bridge, a large living area with a large tv, full bathroom and of course the wonderful bedroom with king size bed, full size bathroom equipped with a jacuzzi which we enjoyed thoroughly.

Aussiedoug even came up for a vist during our stay.

Sydney Hotels

Latest Sydney Hotel Reviews

InterContinental Hotel Sydney
Medina Grand Harbourside Sydney
Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments Sydney
Marriott Sydney Harbour Hotel
Swiss Grand Hotel Bondi Beach (Cnr Campbell Parade Beach Rd Bondi Beach Sydney Nsw 2026)
Latest: Oct 4, 2013
Latest: Apr 5, 2014
Somerset Darling Harbour
Quality Hotel Cambridge

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Sydney Nightlife

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Sydney locals.
Map of Sydney