Nightclubs and bars in Sydney

Most Viewed Nightlife in Sydney

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Different Drummer: Different Drummer, in Glebe

by sue_stone Updated May 19, 2007

The Different Drummer is a quirky cocktail & tapas bar, and restaurant located on Glebe Point Road. The bar area is located just off the street, with the restaurant to the rear, and there is also a function room upstairs.

I have been here for both tapas and cocktails. My latest visit was just for a couple of drinks, the timing happily coincided with happy hour, where you can sample 2 for 1 cocktails. There is a small list of the usual suspects with a couple of specialties thrown in. I was drinking with my sister and we sat right at the front of the bar, looking out the open window onto the street, enjoying the hustle and bustle of Glebe Point Road, but not the noisy buses.

On my previous visit to a Different Drummer I went for dinner and had a selection of tapas. I wasn't that impressed with the selection or the dishes....certainly not on par with the real thing in Spain. Perhaps best to stick to the cocktails.

Dress Code: Scruffy is acceptable

Cocktails and people watching Inside the front bar
    • Wine Tasting

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

The Australian Youth Hotel: The Australian Youth Hotel, in Glebe

by sue_stone Written May 19, 2007

The Australian Youth Hotel, or Aussie Youth as the locals call it, is a friendly pub located in Glebe, not far from the Broadway Centre. It is the local pub of my sister Alison's work, and her and her colleagues always seem to be down at the 'Youth for after work drinks or lunching for someone's birthday.

There is a bar area downstairs, and a restaurant upstairs. From all reports the food is pretty good. You can also order bar snacks to have downstairs.

I have been in there a couple of times to meet Alison after work for a drink. I like the relaxed atmosphere of this pub and the fact that my sister seems to know all the staff and clientele doesn't hurt either.

Dress Code: Nothing special

Cheers Ali!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Fox & Lion Bar & Restaurant: Partying After a Swans Home Game

by aussiedoug Updated Mar 27, 2005

Well you VTers will be keeling over from shock. Here's Doug who never has a Nightlife tip now has not one, but two for Sydney.

Alas though this is not from personal experience. That is apart from having walked past here & seen it all for myself many times over the last 7 footie seasons after Swans games.

This is the main place where those fans without families either go to celebrate a win (like today with a crusing 70+ point win over Hawthorn) or drown their sorrows & analyse what went wrong & how the umpires robbed as yet again with some amazingly bad & biased decisions. lol!

As well as being able to drink the night away you also have a range of dining choices. After all it is a Bar & Restaurant. Again I can't recommend it to you personally, but I know it offers a rang of cuisine in its Bistro/Cafe such as Chinese, Italian, Modern Australian, Pizza or Woodfire Pizza & Thai.

As with Bungalow8 this also would be a place best enjoyed with a group of friends.

Dress Code: There isn't a special dress code here, but of course you wouldn't want to turn up dressed like some sort of yobbo. Everyone looks neat enough, but most are dressed to impress, well not the men anyway.

Some Happy Fans after a Win

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Marriott Sydney Harbour Hotel: Stay in and enjoy your suite

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 11, 2008

When you spend as much money as we did on an Executive Suite you have to take advantage of all the amentities that a Suite has to offer, and we definitely spent most of our nights doing just that.

The Suite was glorious, with killer views of Sydney Harbour Bridge, a large living area with a large tv, full bathroom and of course the wonderful bedroom with king size bed, full size bathroom equipped with a jacuzzi which we enjoyed thoroughly.

Aussiedoug even came up for a vist during our stay.

Ah...getting ready for the jacuzzi

Zeta Bar: Fun Rooftop Bar with Interesting Cocktails

by LadyRVG Updated Aug 26, 2010

Zeta Bar is a rooftop bar located in the Sydney Hilton. I had read a review on this before before our trip and definitely wanted to check it out for myself. Chris and I were already at the Hilton and to enjoy some cocktails in the beautiful weather.

The bar has two sections; one inside and the rooftop outdoor terrace. Inside is quite lareg with an array of couches, chairs and cozy seating arrangements. Chris and I were greated by the hostess and seated outside oer our request. The rooftop area is small but very comfortable. We were handed drink menus and spent at least ten minutes looking over the large selection of specialty drinks, hard liquors, wines and champagne before making a decision.

I decided to have their Zeta Margarita and Chris has JW( I think it was Green or Gold). Our drinks arrive and I was quite surpised at mine. My Margarita was in a martini glass on a long wooden plate. On the plate was a lime filled with lime foam, lime wedges and a long line of salt on the plate with a small silver spoon(it almost looked like a line of cocaine..very strange). I must have looked puzzled and the server said it's a deconsructed Margarita. The bar feels hat the best way to have a margarita was this way. Dip the spoon into the lime foam and them into the salt. Scoop this mix of foam and salt into your mouth then drink the Margarita. Seems a bit much when all I want is some salt on the rim of the glass.

I followed instructions and found it to be an okay Margarita and deifintely not worth the price of $28. Even though the Margarita was less than stellar I did enjoy being outside with the beautiful city around me. Chris and I had a great time relaxing at Zeta and even had some good conversation with some of the wait staff about their recent Stateside visits.

I think I would have had a better drink if I stuck to something simple such as a glass of wine or champagne. Regardless of the drink I loved the laid back and funky atmosphere of Zeta and will definitely return again.

Dress Code: Smart casual

Trying a Loving the rooftop bar Chris and I having a fun time My Deconstructed Margarita

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Marriott Sydney Harbour Hotel: Champagne at the Executive Lounge

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 11, 2008

Upgrading to an Executive Suite with access to the Executive Lounge was the ideal way for us to enjoy all that the Executive Lounge has to offer, including its endless flow of champagne. The Executive Lounge also provided us with our early morning breakfast, mid afternoon snacks and evening hors d'oeuvres.

Enjoying a wonderful glass of champagne to celebrate a birthday (actually a second celebration and the reason why we where here) and take in the beautiful views of Sydney Opera House was a big hilight of our trip. We even met a really nice travel writer who was chatting away about all her travels and who was nice enough to "loan" us her day pass to the Zoo.

Yum, I love my champagne Night view of the Opera House

Marble Bar: Cocktails in an Elegant Setting

by LadyRVG Updated Aug 26, 2010

Marble Bar is one of the bars located in the lowe level of the Sydney Hilton. We had wanted to relax after a long day and enjoy some cocktails before heading out to dinner. My husband had been to this establishment during previous trips and knew that I would like the decor and atmosphere.

The bar was built in 1893 and is perfectly Victorian in style. I love all things Victorian and this decor is the height of stylish Victorian. Beuatiful marble arches, stained glass, mahogany bars and the incredible nudes by Julian Ashton. As soon as we walked in my eyes were delighted by the entire scene.

After I had taken a momement to soak in the visual splendor; we found a seat and took a look at the drink menu. I was in heaven when I saw they had one of my favorit drinks on the menu; a Bellini so I had to have one. My husband wanted a beer (not sure of the exact one though). I was amazed at how quick the service was and how fast we received our drinks.

With drinks in hand we were able to get cozy on the couch and relax. The bar was a great place to people watch since a steady flow of people came in and out of the bar. I notice that even though Sydney is a casual city the patrons were all dressed very well; which I appreciated.

My Bellini was okay. Nothing spectacular and not exactly made in the tradtional way. I didn't mind much since I loved the atmosphere and had a wonderful time with my husband.

Dress Code: Most people were dressed smart casual or in business attire. This is not the place to look like a slob.

Enjoying a Bellini Relaxing with my hubby My Bellini and a Beer for Chris

4 Pines: Relaxing and Casual

by LadyRVG Updated Mar 21, 2012

4 Pines is a pub/restaurant in Manly. My husband and I just finished a delicious pizza lunch across the street at the Manly Wharf Hotel before we ventured across the street. Our friend Jackie had told us to check this place out and I'm glad we did.

From the minute we entered; I loved the place. The simplistic decor and casual atmosphere is exactly what I want in a bar. I want to be able to relax and enjoy my drink and my husband's company without the worry if I'm dressed appropriately or ordering the "fashionable" drink. The bartenders and patrons all had that chill vice that really makes a place cozy and inviting to me.

Chris and I hopped into some seats by the bar with a barrel table. I know this is the place to have a beer since they make their own speciality brands but I wanted a nice chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc. Hubby went for one of their specialty ciders that was made with pears. I was quite happy with my refresingly crisp wine but I did steal a sip from my hubby. I'm not a fan of pears but the cider was very good; the pear flavor was subtle and not overpowering.

We sat back, relaxed and enjoyed the view through the treeline across the street to the Wharf. Ahh...it was so relaxing and enjoyable spending time with my Husband and chatting about life.

Enjoying my wine Hubby loves his Pear Cider

• Larnie's Profile Photo

Hollywood Hotel: Fringe Dwelling

by Larnie Updated Mar 23, 2005

Lashings of effortless style, quiet out-of-the-way location and live music. Combine this with no TAB, and only three pokies, and you have a pub that tops my list
    Hooray for Hollywood!
    It is small, dimly lit, and very intimate. The décor is very deco: deep red paintwork, tasselly-shaded light fittings, heavily etched window glass.
    The licensee, Doris Goddard, is a real live Hollywood film star, an Australian girl made good on stages and screens all round the world. She has starred in such films as The Iron Petticoat, Robbery Under Arms, Tim and Hostage to name a few, alongside actors like Bob Hope, Sid James, Peter Finch, Robert Helpmann, Katharine Hepburn, Robert Mitchum, Jill Ireland and David McCallum. She has sung in nightclubs from London to Paris and Madrid, Tokyo, Taiwan and Bangkok. Photos of Doris, lovingly displayed inside the pub and out.

What's on Tap:

Reschs
    Toohey's New
    Toohey's Old
    VB

Dress Code: Whatever you like.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

The Australian Hotel: We always find ourselves here....

by LadyRVG Written Apr 13, 2012

My husband and I always seem to find oursleves here. Our last three trips to Sydney have brought us to the Australian. It must be the casual and friendly vibe of the place that draws us back every time. We're able to relax and enjoy life while having a beer and people watching.

The Australian Hotel has been keeping customers happy since 1824 and at this location since 1913. The service here is always friendly as if you come here all the time. The place is always hopping no matter what time of day with a large mix of locals. The pub is a bit off the regular tourist path in the Rocks; so a tourist would have to have this spot in mind to find themselves here.

There is plenty of space even when the place is busy with a large outdoor seating area that wraps around the building as well as indoor seating. I've never had a problem finding a seat and usually our favorite table is available(yes, we have a favorite table).

I love the old feel and charm of the place. I always feel transported to another erea when I sit at one of the old wooden tables and enjoy a beer. It really is a great place and I love coming here.

Chris & I enjoying the Pub Beer here I always enjoy a cold beer Cheers!

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Three Wise Monkeys: Of course we're going to fling beer....

by LadyRVG Updated Apr 30, 2012

The Three Wise Monkeys is a pub we've loved from the first time we set foot inside. We had just arrived back from a tour of the Blue Mountains during our February 2010 visit and our bus driver, Bob recommended the place.

The pub is known as “backpackers” hangout so we got some interesting looks from some people when we told them we liked the place. I’m not one to care what people think or what the popular opinion is so I just shrugged it off. The pub is exactly what my husband and I like; a casual place where we can relax and enjoy ourselves. The vibe inside is a no worries attitude where everyone just mingles whether they’re in a suit or loaded up with a pack on their back. The beer here is cheap and the pub grub is quite good.

Our last two visits to Sydney in November 2010 and February 2012; we found ourselves here enjoying some drinks. Like I say when we are here “See No Evil, Speak No Evil, Beer No Evil”…lol

Chris and I enjoying ourselves Cheers! Monkey Business

• sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

Bondi Hotel

by sabrina_florida Written Feb 21, 2005

I utterly loved this place! You can go there to have something to drink (get before 11 to get a table) and then there's usually live music. After that, there's a DJ so you cna dance as well.
    Not a "to see and be seen" place at all.

Dress Code: Casual. I went with shorts and flip flops once!

Bondi hotel (dancefloor)

• cjg1's Profile Photo

4 Pines: Good Brewery in Manly

by cjg1 Updated Mar 12, 2012

4 Pines is a local Brewery in Manly that specializes in Handcrafted beer brewed naturally. They brew their beer in small batches to ensure quality and flavor. Liz and I came here upon recommendation from our friend Jackie.

The Brewery is right across from the ferry terminal. 4 pines has a large selection of their home brew in bottles and on tap along with wine and other beverages. Variety of beer change frequently and there are specialty beers for certain times of the year. I really enjoy a good beer and I couldn’t wait to try something special.

We arrived at 4 Pines after enjoying a nice lunch at the Manly Wharf Hotel across the street. It was ungodly hot that day with high humidity and temperatures in the 90’s. I couldn’t wait to sit and have something cold to drink. 4 Pines is upstairs in a small mall like complex. There is the main bar area with tables and booths surrounding it as well as a covered terrace with a view of the Wharf.

We decided to have a seat at one of the barrel tables by the bar. After perusing the selections of beer; I chose one of their Ciders. The Cider was a Pear cider with a crisp, light and fruity taste; very nice. Liz chose a glass of Sauvignon Blanc; as she was feeling “beered out” for the day. This place was a delight for us; I truly felt relaxed and comfortable here. It was the perfect way to unwind and beat the heat. I can’t wait to return and see what else they have brewed up.

Liz enjoying her wine (3/2012) My Pear Cider Cider & Wine Entrance The bar

• petdec's Profile Photo

Captain Cook Cruises , New Years Eve: A night To remember

by petdec Updated Jul 5, 2005

New Years Eve aboard a boat in Sydney Harbour is not to be missed.It is expensive but_____.!
    On the Millenium Night, I was on board Captain Cook Cruise's MV 2000.
    We had a wonderful meal and all drinks were included.We had a FABULOUS view of Sydney Harbour's Famous Firework display.Leaving Circular Quay at about 6pm we arrived back at about 2am. It was FANTASTIC.
    I realize we wont be here for the next millenium but Captain Cook do these cruises every New Years Eve . If anyone is in Sydney for NYE ,then this is something you should check out. Money well spent.

Dress Code: They usually specify the dress code when you book. If you go the most expensive way ie Top Deck MV 2000, I think they say formal evening dress.. I am not 100% sure.

Wot a Nite
    • Luxury Travel
    • Cruise

• cybergenic's Profile Photo

The Boulevard Hotel: One of Sydney's Best Views

by cybergenic Updated Apr 6, 2006

Day or night, level 25 of The Boulevard Hotel Sydney offers a spectacular view of Sydney city, it's parks, cathedrals and harbour including the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House.
    Essentially a cocktail bar / a la carte restaurant this retro looking place is very affordable for both drinks and food. The staff are friendly and are only too happy to cater for any Tom, Dick or Harry who wants to sit down and absorb the fantastic view.
    The quiet funky lounge music sets the vibe for relaxing chit chat while sipping on delicious frosty cocktails especially at dusk as Sydney transforms from a bustling metropolis into a magical playground of sparkling lights.

Dress Code: None really.
    The rest of the building is a 4 star hotel so if you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb try to dress smart casual.

The view of Sydney from Level 25

Latest: Jul 20, 2014
Sinclair's of Surry Hills Budget Accommodation
Latest: May 29, 2014

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Sydney Nightlife

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Sydney locals.
Map of Sydney