Sydney City Bars / Clubs, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

• Sydney City Bars / Clubs
  • Sydney City Bars / Clubs
    Bellini & Beer
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Sydney City Bars / Clubs: Marble Bar

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 19, 2006

Having an Appletini at the Marble Bar

The Marble Bar has a long history dating back from 1893. Decoration of the Marble bar, (a part of the Adams Hotel), was nothing short of breathtaking and was ornately decorated in the Italian Renaissance style. Corinthian columns with solid bronze capitals, 100 tonnes of the world's best quality marble from Belgian and African quarries, cedar joinery and stained pictorial glass frames are combined to create an opulent ambience unheard of in the colonies at that time.

After years of colourful history, in 1968 the Bar received an "A" rating from the National Trust of Australia, and the entire structure was carefully dismantled, refurbished and rebuilt inside the Hilton Sydney. The grand re-opening was in 1973. (Some of this information obtained from the official website).

Dress Code: We stopped by after spending the whole afternoon shopping and walking around Sydney. I enjoyed my Appletini. A live band plays here but I am not sure what days.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Sydney City Bars / Clubs: Establishment

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 24, 2008

Marble bar and back room

We came here our last night to meet up with Laura and her co-worker. I absolutely loved this place. Upon entering the Establishment you are greated with a huge open space and even larger marble bar. The bar is dimly lite with "side" bars (instead of tables) where you can enjoy your drink. They play nouvo tech music which isn't as loud as most places so you can sit back sip your wine and enjoy a good conversation with friends.

We ordered a few bottles of an Australian wine. Sorry, can't remember the name of the wine, but is was scrumptious!!

Dress Code: I crowd that night seemed mostly the after work type, with suits and office attire, baiscally well dressed, casaul business, smart casual. I didn't notice anyone with sneakers or jeans. I am sure that stylish jeans with some great sandals or shoes would fit right in.

Establishment: Establishment

by cjg1 Updated Oct 22, 2007

This place is very cool. I am nearly embarrassed to admit it being that it was in the guide book. Ok. Didnt know when we went. Found it after the fact. But really. Went there to meet a friend and her friend. Had a great time. Super cool place that reminds me of Milion in Buenos Aires.

Dress Code: Fashionable is best for this place. Although jeans do work at least early in the week.

Ryan's: Ryan's

by cjg1 Updated Mar 14, 2012

A great place to lounge out..........

We got to see two sides of Ryan's in the matter of just a few hours. We were to meet up with friends at 530 one evening and happened to be near so went to check it out early. We sat there in the back in one of the round booths just chilling and having a drink enjoying a break. Nice. Quiet. Comfortable.

After running out for pizza we came back and it was 530 and crowded. Due to the location this place is a busy after work Happy Hour spot. Our friends were still a few minutes away so we got a drink and sat inside but at one of the stool tables. When they arrived we moved out under the heat lamps outside and enjoyed the evening. Always nice to sit outside no matter the temps around.

It was a Wednesday night and I have no idea if this is normal or not but all my drinks were $5 or less.

• Beaches

Marble Bar: Marble Bar

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

My Wife and I enjoying Marble Bar (March 2010)

I first came to visit Marble Bar during my visit in 2006. I recently came back in during our 2010 visit. We had dinner plans but wanted to relax with some drinks before heading on to dinner.

I like that this bar is out of the way downstairs and removed from pedestrian traffic; it allows for a more intimate atmosphere. It’s a perfect place to get lost and relax with a drink. The dark wood and stained glass of the bar give it a formal feel but trust me it’s all laid back. The place was busy but not crowded with several business people enjoying an after work drink as well as several guests of the hotel.

My wife and I found a seat at one of the couches and took a look at the drink menu. Liz was excited to see they had one of her favorite drinks; a Bellini. I was happy to order a nice cold beer after suffering through a hot day in the city. We enjoyed sitting back with our drinks and discussing all the fun of our current trip.

Dress Code: Smart casual. We didn't see anyone in shorts or very casual clothing. Most people were dressed nicely and some in business attire from work.

• Wine Tasting

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

3 Wise Monkey's: Live music 7 nights a week

by martin_nl Updated Apr 4, 2011

3 wise money's: You cannot miss the monkey's

Great live music 7 days a week. Fantastic atmosphere and this is one of my favourite places to go to. It is right in the city centre and somehow I go here very often. The venue is established on 3 floors. Ground floors a mid level and the top floor has some pool tables and a stage for the bands to play on.

Dress Code: No dresscode except for maybe on Saturday's: no trainers...

• Bar333: Bar333

by w3ndes Updated Feb 19, 2004

pretty much always guaranteed a seat whether it be on their lounges or tables and chairs. lychee and guava daiquiris whether frozen or muddled a definate must. cocktails only served upstairs so best get a seat upstairs less you'll be trudging up and down all night. however, there are bar people on the prowl to take drink orders. very much convenient and welcome service.

sports bar downstairs with pool tables, upstairs the lounge and restaraunt with a mini dancefloor and dj set. mostly dance and house. great loos. love the tiles! the downstairs one however, is about 3 flights of stairs down so if your a bit tipsy, best avoid the downstairs loo hehe. cute barmen but what decent bar in sydney doesn't? 20 - 30 something crowd. friday nights a lot of corporate/office types as is any place friday night =P

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Tank Club: Endless night...

by Tripack Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ready to dive in the Tank music???

Tank Nightclub was launched in 2001 and since it is a favourite spot for local/international clubbers and DJ.

I almost sank in this stunning place built in a old water tank (not sure of that but look like). Quite impressive when you're down with great acoustic effect thanks the house music and spectacular lighting, interactive live-mixed video projections.

Tank offer three bars (never get thirsty there...), a dance floor and a private lounge. The underground space combines the original exposed timber columns, beams, huge basalt footings with funky white glossy graphics and modern wall sculptures.

Open: Fridays 10pm - 6am, Saturdays 10pm - 6am

Dress Code: Funky club-wear to smart casual.

• Cargo Bar: Cargo Bar

by w3ndes Updated Feb 19, 2004

always seems to be packed. actually it is always packed! great music, funky vibe, and always a line for the womens loos =P been approached by drunken guys one too many times for comfort. watch out for short, balding man with bloodshot eyes who latches onto anyone of the opposite sex within latching distance begging for a dance. will not let go unless you dance with him. or do what i did and pass him off to a friend. or just kick him! =P music? top 40, rnb, house anything dance-worthy. where the 20-30 something kick/drink on late into the night!

Dress Code: smart. if your a guy, helps if your outnumbered by gals with you. more chance of getting into any club the more gals you have with you. funny that.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Century Tavern: Australian pub

by martin_nl Updated Nov 6, 2004

The interior, stay there, don't go to the toilets!

This is a typical aussie place. At least that is what I was told. I've been here a few times and to give you a good advice, please don't go anywhere near the toilets....

There are some pool tables on the top floor. Very important is that the drinks a much cheaper than most other places in the area.

Dress Code: No dresscode

• fifitrix72's Profile Photo

to be confirmed: Gay Bingay !!

by fifitrix72 Written Apr 16, 2004

I know this sounds very strange but believe me I was EXTREMELY cynical when my friends invited me to come to this...but I have to say it was the funniest nights I have ever had !!!!.

What it is is bingo, run by drag queens and they change all the usual bingo sayings to " camp" ones. It is more like a comedy night !!

AND.....its all for charity !! It will cost you no more than $30 dollars and you might even win

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Ryan's: Great Atmosphere and Drinks

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 23, 2009

Chris & I enjoying a nice night

Ryans is a really fun place to hang out and enjoy some drinks. There is an inside with a bar with stools along with some comfy couches and tables. Outside was a large series of table and chairs (heat lamps were strewn about providing a nice warmth from the nightime air). We came here to meet up with Laura and some of her friends for a few afterwork drinks. We first started inside lounging on some comfy couches before foraging out for some food. We returned and sat outside with Laura and her gang of girlfriends. This place was really packed with people and in no time there was hardly any standing room. It was a fun night with good people and tasty drinks.

Dress Code: Casual

• Architecture

• angela80's Profile Photo

there lots of bars: Sydney

by angela80 Written Nov 15, 2003

Annelies, Angela, Willjan and Sjaak in a bar!

In and around sydney you can do lots of things!! Just walk into a bar and make lots of fun!

We went to a concert from The Living End and this is a really good one!
    We didn`t take pictures because we didn`t know if we could bring in our camera!! But is was really amazing!

• Wine Tasting

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Scubar: Backpakers Bar

by Tripack Updated Apr 4, 2011

SCUBAR DIVING LESSON AVAILABLE...

Prepare to dive in the backpackers world... Try not to sink and keep your Scuba always above the bar...

Great meeting place with special drinks at cheaper price ask for the current promotion. Pizzas available.

What's special events:
    ***Every Monday night starting at 8PM: Crazy Crab Racing
    ***Every wednesday from 7:30PM: international pool competition
    ***Every important sports events on Big screen TV's

Open 7 days/nights a week till late.

Dress Code: Unknown at this day...

• SydneyGal's Profile Photo

Bridge Bar: COCKTAIL BAR OF THE YEAR - AUSTRALIA

by SydneyGal Updated Apr 4, 2011

From inside the Bridge Bar

The Bridge Bar has just been awarded the title of Australia's Cocktail Bar of the Year, by 'bartender' magazine. I have been there on quite a few occasions and can understand why!! There are views to die for in this very hip cocktail lounge. This elegant venue is suspended between the tenth floors of two of Sydney's most desirable apartment blocks at East Circular Quay. Famed for its million-dollar views on eye level with the Harbour Bridge and overlooking Sydney Harbour, Circular quay, the Opera House and Botanical Gardens, sunset can be a real treat. Add to this a cocktail list to rival any in the country with 189 delicious concoctions, faultless and friendly staff, relaxing lounge music and great bar food and you're starting to get the picture. There is also am impressive list of cigars to try. Stunning. Perfect for visiting tourists and locals alike.

Dress Code: This is an upmarket cocktail lounge so dress accordingly!!

Instant Answers: Sydney