The Rocks / Circular Quay, Sydney

The Rocks

Know about this? Rate It!

Mussels
    Kangaroo
    by cjg1
    Liz enjoying her drink (feb 2012)

Orient Hotel: Casual Pub Atmosphere

by LadyRVG Updated Oct 9, 2009

Enjoying a Cold Beer on a Warm Day

The Orient Hotel is a nice little place located in the Rocks. It's situated on the corner with large windows. The bar itself serves a variety of drinks as well as food. There are several rooms to eat, drink or gamble (in the back room). The place has a casual and inviting atmosphere. Chris and I found ourselves here several times during our Sydney stay to enjoy a nice cold beer, relax, people watch and occasional meet up with some of his Sydney friends. We prefered a nice table by the window so we could watch the outside happenings.

Monday & Tuesdays had a bar menu special: any bar menu entree was $10.

**If there's a major sporting event on the television this place gets packed. We were fortunate to already have a table before a big horse race.**

• Beer Tasting

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Lord Nelson: A Pub with a bit of History.......

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 23, 2009

Chris and his beer

As soon as I saw the Lord Nelso I wanted to go in. I am a big fan of English history and the famous Admiral Nelson and his naval victories were some of my favorite stories. The pub itself is in an old but cozy building. The Pub has its own Microbrewery with a nice list of beers. The bar has numerous seeting areas as well as a restaurant. The bar is decorated in heavy wood and various references to Admiral Nelson's famous battles are throughout.

Chris and I enjoyed sitting at a table relaxing after some sightseeing. The beer was okay. I'm not a big beer fan but I know Chris was less than thrilled with his. I liked the calm and casual atmosphere of this place.

• Architecture

Observer Hotel: American Baseball in Sydney

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 23, 2009

Having fun at the Observer

The Observer Hotel was one of the first pubs Chris and I hit in Sydney. We were wandering back from the Rocks MArket and Chris spied a baseball game on TV. Being the good girlfriend, I indulged him and agreed to stop in for some drinks and some baseball watching. The bar was rather cozy with plenty of seating and served food as wel as drinks.

As we were njoying some drinks we began chatting with another couple. They turned out to be Brittish red Sox Fans. They have family in Boston and have become fans over the years. They even get American Baseball on their TV back home. We had a fun time talking about what we saw and were planning to see in Sydney. I got to talk about my London days and favorite towns in England. I was glad we stopped in.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Minus 5: Drinks in an Ice Bar!

by Joseph69 Written Dec 2, 2008

Well, if you ever want to know what it feels like to be in sub-zero temperatures, and enjoy a drink while you're at it, then Minus 5 is the place for you.

You are served drinks in a glass made of ice. If your teeth are strong enough, you can start eating your glass! We did a "cheers" by smacking 2 glasses together, and to our surprise, they cracked! It was quite funny though.

You are also requested (well, you have to otherwise you'd freeze) to wear a special outfit to keep yourself warm. You may not stay inside teh abr for too long, otherwise you will freeze (unless you drink plenty of vodka to keep yourself warm).

Dress Code: Well, there isn't. You will be given clothing to wear prior to entry into the icy bar.

• Women's Travel

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

The Rocks / Circular Quay: Cruise Bar

by Joseph69 Written Dec 1, 2008

I like this bar, especially in the warmer months.

The Cruise Bar is located at the International Passanger Terminal at Circular Quay. There is ample of outdoor space and offers great views towards the Sydney Opera House.

Dress Code: Casual during the day, and a little more dressy at night espeically on Friday/Saturday(although casual is OK during the weeknights).

• Business Travel

• beets's Profile Photo

The Rocks / Circular Quay: Opera Bar

by beets Updated Mar 19, 2008

Opera Bar at the Opera House has the most impressive view of the Harbour Bridge. There is an indoor and outdoor area of the bar, with music and a very relaxed feel about it. This is a great place to start the night off. The prices for drinks are average cost, food is also available but can be quite expensive.

Dress Code: I have seen people in everything and anything. Though I have never seen anyone wear thongs, so not sure if that is allowed or not.

• OnTheRoadGoombah's Profile Photo

The Rocks / Circular Quay: Fortune of War Pub

by OnTheRoadGoombah Written Feb 16, 2008

I stopped in for a pint about six months ago midweek and found this pub very quaint. Well, six months later in the middle of summer on a Friday night, this place was rowdy, noisy, fun as hell...and still quaint. It was able to maintain the feel of a small town neighborhood pub, even though it clearly wasn't.

They had a great guitarist/singer playing popular songs to a raucous and appreciative crowd. The bar stff was very attentive and the beers were cold and fresh..a little expensive, but not overpriced for the Rocks/Circular Quay area.

It is a little small, but I never felt crowded there.

I just checked out their website and noticed that on Sunday afternoons is jazz afternoon from 3-6 pm. I may have to go back today!

Dress Code: Dress Code: Yes, you must wear clothes.

• unravelau's Profile Photo

The Rocks / Circular Quay: The Dendy Theatre on the East Wharf x3

by unravelau Updated Mar 31, 2007

The Dendy theatres are in a great position to pick up an audience at any time. It is situated right on the Eastern Quay on the way to the Opera House and have multiple releases and run throughout the day and night.

We were busy sightseeing around the harbour when it started to rain so on the offchance that there might be a 'good' film showing we went in. We had choice. The one starting straight away was called "Venus" and among some other well known stars, Peter O'Toole headed the bill.

Venus is an unusual and a bit confronting at times.....but what acting. I am sure that he deserves an oscar for his performance.

Dress Code: It seemed that anything casual was ok through the day. I did notice that people tend to dress up a bit more in the evening though.

• Theater Travel

• Zanzibargirl's Profile Photo

The Rocks / Circular Quay: The Orient

by Zanzibargirl Written Nov 29, 2005
    Partying it up Annalisa, Me and Melita at the Orie

A great spot for Live bands and relaxed music and atmosphere, the Orient in the Rocks is the place to party of a Thursday night. Once a month the girls from my work go for a relaxed drink and a dance after work and party on and get the night happening on the dance floor.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• kooka3's Profile Photo

The Rocks / Circular Quay: Ghost Tour: not your typical night life, I guess!

by kooka3 Written Jul 26, 2005

Cadman's Cottage

I was going to put this in the "things to do" column, but decided, obviously, not to. I don't remember this tour being offered last time I was in Sydney, but that doesn't mean much, I guess.

The ghost tour goes through the Rocks district, which is the original Sydney settlement, so it has lots of old buildings. It's a great way to see the area, even if you don't believe in ghosts! The tour guides - who are all supposedly 34d generation local residents - tell some great stories, so it's a good way to spend about an hour and a half.

The tour starts at 6:45 (April-October) or 7:45 (November - March). There are special tours on Halloween, Full Moon nights, and black fridays. No tours on Christmas, Boxing Day, New Years Eve, or Good Friday.

Dress Code: Wear good walking shoes! You'll be walking for awhile over roads that aren't always smooth, and up and down stairs. Also bring clothes appropriate for the weather (rain gear, a jumper/sweater, etc) since you'll be outside for most of the time.

• arv1's Profile Photo

The Rocks / Circular Quay: Night boat tour

by arv1 Written Jun 29, 2005

This was absolutely fabulous!! I love being on boats and being one at night to see such a beautiful city like Sydney all lit up was so amazing!! The boat for this tour can be caught from circular quay

There is an audio tour given by the captain and his crew mates as they take you around circular quay and much further out, near the opera house and under harbour bridge!! Great!!

I was really gutted at one point though...well two if you count the time when the cruise ended!! I remained outside for pretty much the whole journey, but in the middle, I can inside for 2 seconds, and the captain THEN decided to announce that there were two humpback whales RIGHT WHERE I WAS STANDING!! I ran back and managed to catch a glimpse, but it might have been a shadow by the time i got there! sob!

Dress Code: I would recommend having some sort of jacket in winter, as I believe you HAVE to stand outside on the deck...where it gets very cold!!

• Cruise

• llauraa's Profile Photo

The Rocks / Circular Quay: Oktoberfest All Year Round at Lowenbrau. Sydney

by llauraa Updated May 19, 2005

Litre Steins at Lowenbrau

This is the gang I work with at the Oktoberfest that is held in Sydney down the Rocks every year. We are at the Lowenbrau [the name of the venue] which is open all year around however not just Sep or Oct. Those jugs are a litre each...no wonder we are all smiling.. The Rocks is the historical part of town with a lot of sandstone buildings and cobbled streets and lanes going back to the convict days. You could think of Sydney as an evolved convict camp? lol- see what can happen in 250 years. If you want to eat, a group booking of 10 or more is minimum menu fare of $20AUD. That is, you have to eat a minimum of $20 food. There are group menus available. Also you can just go upstairs to the bar and drink if you prefer

Dress Code: Collars and covered shoes of evening for the menfolk. No thongs for anyone. [ Thongs as in the footwear, think Australian here] Smart casual

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

CAFE SOCIETY

by BerniShand Written Jan 1, 2005

dinner with Helen and Doug

there are countless places to spend the evening in Sydney, and prices to suit every budget, this was a great place for a special dinner, behind us were stunning views over the harbour of the Bridge and the Opera House, but wherever we went we found friendly people and fun

• amazingclick's Profile Photo

The Rocks: The Rocks

by amazingclick Written Apr 10, 2004

Lot of Bars and Pubs around The Rocks with great music, good booze. I cant take any specific names because so many of them were there. Walk around and you will find them.

Dress Code: Smart Casuals. Make sure you wear formal shoes...cause many places donot allow entry if you are not wearing one.

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

The Orient Hotel: Cruisy ol' pubs of 'The Rocks'

by ChadSteve1975 Updated Mar 12, 2004
    IT even has a great pub lunch

The Orient is a very casual old pub set in 'The Rocks'.

It is not the place for the pretenious to be seen but it is a cool place to just hang out, catch a bite to eat, or just have a few beers and a boogie at night.

Whenever I visit Sydney I vsit this pub. It usually has a decent crowd if not overflowing at times, a live band in the corner and dance floor upstairs for the late night crowd.

Dress Code: Casual...

Place usually has a gorilla on the door but they're there more to protect the owner from fimes for underaged. Anyone questionable will be carded.

Instant Answers: Sydney