Know about this? Rate It!
"LET SILENT CONTEMPLATION BE YOUR OFFERING"
The phrase says it all. This memorial which opened in 1934 commemorates the sacrifice of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps in WW1, as well as Australians who have fought in war. They have an exhibit downstairs but to fully experience this memorial look down to Hall of Silence were wou will bronze statue called " The sacrifice".
As a military person this memorial means a lot to me since it reminded of the sacrifice of men and women who like me serve their country.
Latin American Square
This place is hardly ancient...as the square was only unveiled in 1989 and I stumbled upon it quite by accident since none of the guidebooks actually mentioned it.
Tucked away into a side space along Elizabeth Street, and quite forgotten by passerbys, next to Central Station is a small square, surprisingly neat and not littered with drunkards, with about 12 busts of Latin American heroes, liberators and explorers from the 19th century. This square is dedicated to the contributions of the Latin American population in Australia.
I must confess I am not too all familiar with Latin American history but I do recognise Simon Bolivar. I do have 1 question though. Why is the bust of Jose Rizal, the national hero of The Philippines doing here? As far as I know, the Philippines were never part of Latin America. A fluff up?
- Historical Travel
- Hiking and Walking
- Budget Travel
The scenery along this stretch of coast is spectacular. Rugged shoreline and natural scenery, as far as the eyes can see.
Great place for some long distance hiking.
- Road Trip
- Historical Travel
Photos from the HMAS...
Photos from the HMAS Parramatta memorial. See text under 'off the beaten path' near the Elizabeth Farm (yellow building) photo.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
Sydney Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Kinaliada Hotels
- West Yellowstone Hotels
- Lake Erie Beach Hotels
- Bhopal Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path