Olympic Park, Sydney

Know about this? Rate It!

• kooka3's Profile Photo

Homebush - Olympic Park

by kooka3 Written Jul 3, 2003

This isn't really worth going to unless you're going to see a sporting event. It's time consuming to get there: count on at least half an hour if you go by train, longer by bus or ferry. Once you are there, there isn't a lot to see. Of course, I was there just before the Olympics, so they may have added displays about/from the Games, but I can't imagine that they did enough to make it worth it. If you are going for a sporting event, it would be worth it to take some extra time to look around, but I wouldn't make the trip just to see the buildings.

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Relive the Sydney Olympics

by yellowbell Written Mar 31, 2005

If you want to relive the Sydney Olympics 2000, visit the Olympic Park on your way to Blue Mountains. Take the Central train to Lidcombe Station and then finally to Olympic Park Station.

The Overflow - The Olympic Cauldron overflows with water and provides a nice backdrop for your pictures.
    The Superdome
    Aquatic Centre
    Telstra Stadium - for soccer and cricket fanatics

• ratherboutside's Profile Photo

Walk the Olympic park!

by ratherboutside Written Feb 6, 2009

So, I decided to train here just because it is the Olympic Park. I did not know there was such an extensive walking, jogging, biking trail system out there. The train puts you right in the heart of the buildings. I quickly began my walk to the ferry (and got lost more than once)--a long walk but oh so cool because the entire way was on trails. I did not have a map nor a clue what I was doing but there was an occasional posted map to show me I was not totally lost (yah right). I was also surprised to not see over 10 people on the entire walk. I saw lots of birds and some pretty cool plants plus it was just a darn cool walk. And I did find the ferry. Just do yourself a favor and get a map before heading there. See the posted web site because you can do lots more than just walk out there like archery, bike, swim, tennis....etc.

• Hiking and Walking

• arv1's Profile Photo

Sydney 2000

by arv1 Updated Jun 30, 2005

Just by visiting the olympic stadium park, I felt like I was getting a part of the action. This was probably because there was a rugby game scheduled for the same day, so there was a great atmosphere!

My tourguide told us that, during the olympics, there was so much work that needed to be done, but it would be difficult to pay employees, however, many locals were so keen to take part in the event that they voluntarily helped in anyway possible. I don't know whether this is because of the location or the games itself, but it was great seeing it!

I saw it as part of a tour towards the Blue Mountains, I would recommend doing the same.

• Adventure Travel

by lostaussie Written May 25, 2003

i think this now qualifies as off the beaten path if you consider that it is 3 years ago. mighty fine time- sydney in its prime and it all actually worked- much to the surprise of many of us sydneysiders.
    this was the torch relay coming through curl curl.

by lostaussie Written May 25, 2003

this was my favourite part of the olympics- just before the exit they had these huge screens set up, surrounded by food and drink stalls, where everyone just lounged about.
    the great thing was that every event that was shown, the atmosphere made you feel as though you were right there in the stadium.

paralympics

by lostaussie Updated May 25, 2003

this was one of the most inspirational parts of the whole festival.
    these athletes deserve the utmost respect for their determination and talent. though i saw many events, i only got photos of the tennis. these guys can cover a court quicker in their wheelchairs than i can on foot- each event was so amazing that i have to urge anyone in an olympic city to make the effort to see this.

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Olympic Games Sydney 2000

by Tripack Updated Aug 12, 2005

Swiss supporter team

Olympic Games Sydney 2000, an unforgettable experience...

So much to tell that I need time to fill this tip...

• Zoo
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

by lostaussie Updated May 25, 2003

i rang a few mates to see if they wanted to come down for a look. i wasnt expecting them all to show up though...

paralympics

by lostaussie Written May 25, 2003

this was the end of the final and... an aussie won it!!! one of the highlights for me of the whole olympic festival.

Instant Answers: Sydney