Camera / Electrical Equipment, Sydney

by RamSter
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Unlocked Cell Phone

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Miscellaneous: Liz and I like to travel with our unlocked cell phone and pick up a Sim card when we arrive. Sim cards are sold at the airport and we pick up one for only $30. We are able to have a local number to call our friends locally and have family keep in contact in case of emergencies.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

My digital camera is always with me

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 9, 2008

Photo Equipment: I always carry my Sony Cybershot 10. megapixal wherever I go. I take along (2) 2.0 memory cards, (2) recargeable batteries, battery charger, adaptor, camera case and an old 4.0 megapixal camera and its accessories in case my new camera goes busts!

• Films, batteries and memory cards

by dutchguy001 Written Sep 2, 2006

Photo Equipment: You will never have enough films, batteries or storage space on memory cards to store all your pictures. My advice, take a loptop or a portable hard drive to store everything. So far in 10 weeks, I've shot 4 Gb of photo's....

• RamSter's Profile Photo

by RamSter Written Sep 12, 2002

Luggage and bags: a REALLY good camera, one that can take clear photos at night, one thats steady, dont expect taking photos like these with disposable cameras :)

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sydney is usually sunny, yet in Summer we do get a few storms though its humid usually.

Photo Equipment: More film than you can poke a stick at.

• Skylink's Profile Photo

by Skylink Updated Aug 26, 2002

Photo Equipment: Unless one has very special requirements, film developing is cheap in Sydney. Many chemist advertise A$6.95 for 27 exposures developed the next day. No need to bring the film home for developing.

Miscellaneous: Don't even try to bring food to Australia. They x-ray every bag with the exposure settings optimised for food. I brought a biscuit from the airplane and they caught me. I had to explain that I completed the customs declaration when I checked in for the flight and the biscuit was given to me on the airplane afterwards. I did not think that joking was wise so I didn't say something like 'I thought a criminal past is a requirement for entry into Australia hence the smuggled food.'

• Skylink's Profile Photo

by Skylink Written Aug 26, 2002

Miscellaneous: If you want internet access, no need to pack a laptop computer. There are plenty of internet cafes, especially on George Street. The rates are among the cheapest in the world. A$1 would be enough to check e-mail, some news, or other things.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

by b1bob Written Aug 28, 2002

Kodak Advantix

Luggage and bags: What you pack depends on your style of travel and the time of year you go. Unless you have some sort of formal engagement, I wouldn't pack too many suitcases. In fact, I could get all I needed into a carry-on.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It depends on the time of year you travel. In the winter when I was there, I wore sweatshirts, long pants and windbreakers. Winters in Sydney are cool, but not frigid, rather like winter in Jacksonville, Florida. If you go in the summer, of course, t-shirts and short pants are most comfortable.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Nothing different than anywhere else you go, the basic stuff such as toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, razor, etc.

Photo Equipment: Again, no need to go crazy. A simple 35mm camera will do.

Instant Answers: Sydney