What to pack for Sydney

Most Viewed What to Pack in Sydney

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Don't Forget the Passport & the Visa

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Miscellaneous: Nearly all visitors to Australia are required to have a visa. This includes those coming from the United States. Do not forget to get this in order or you will have delays in boarding if not full denial while in LAX or SFO before heading down.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Packing Lists

by cjg1 Updated Jul 23, 2010

Luggage and bags: Travel light. I once read that the key to packing light was pack as lightly as you can and then removing half of it. One bag should be enough for anyone on a week tour. I know most people do not agree with my travel style to Australia but I go for as long as I can each time and keep returning.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring Sun block or purchase it immediately upon arrival. I also recommend bringing your favorite comfortable shoes for walking. Sydney is a city that you can easily walk and walk and walk in. You will be happier with comfortable well broken in shoes.

Photo Equipment: Of course you should bring your camera. Small compact digital point and shoot cameras are great because you whip it out and shoot when the time is ready and it does not require great effort to carry it. I find the canon d10 underwater camera to be a great option in a place like Sydney. You are protected from the spray on ferries and the sand of the beaches.

Miscellaneous: The power outlets here in Sydney are of the style of two slanted blades. See the pic for an example.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Be Prepared for Everything

by LadyRVG Updated Oct 6, 2009

Luggage and bags: We brough a regular sized suitcase

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Since we were visiting in Spring I knew I had to be prepared for any type of weather so I brght some summer type clothes as well as jeans, a jacket and a few sweaters in case it was chilly (and it was on some mornings).

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: SHampoo, Conditioner, lotion, razor, shaving cream, body wash, q-tips, toothbrush, tooth paste, deodorant and brush.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Bathing suit
    Unbrella

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

For the Cold Australian Winter

by i-s-a Updated Aug 7, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: .
    Pack as lightly as you can. It is still best to try layering but be sure to have at least one warm jacket. Also wise to bring mittens/gloves, bonnet and scarf. It can be very cold especially at night and early in the morning.

Sydney is a nice place to do long leisure walks so be sure to wear a good, sturdy and comfy shoes.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: .
    Eye drop - for your dry and itchy eyes.

Plastic Strips (Band-Aids) - bring lots and lots of these medical wonder ;0)

Lip balm - your lips could easily get chapped with the cold weather.

Oil, lotion - for moisturizing, prevents you from having those dry and itchy skin.

Sunblock - winter does not neccesarily mean NO sun! Australian ozone is notorious for it's damaging effects to the skin, apply as needed.

NOTE: For this I prefer buying in Australia. The one I brought from home does little to prevent dry/burnt skin :0(

Photo Equipment: .
    For Digital Camera Users, bring a high capacity memory cards as there would be many photo opportunities.

Miscellaneous: .
    All of the above are of course available in Sydney. Bring nonetheless to save time, effort and money.

• Women's Travel

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

My Guide Book and Travel Journal

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 9, 2008

Miscellaneous: I love the DK travel books and they are the guides I use because I am such a visual person and they provide beautiful pictures with great maps, history and pertinent information, like opening hours, price, etc. I will buy my guide a few months before and read it from cover to cover and familiarize myself with the history and the places to visit. I like to map out a "rough" itinerary with places of interest to me and I will mark my guide with stickies for further reference it I need it.

I also carry a journal with me to keep my thoughts and impressions fresh and to list information that pertains to the location I am visiting.

• Packing for Sydney - Winter

by Bluestar07 Updated Aug 18, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We were there in winter and the temperature hovered between 18 to 21*C

2 layers, jeans and a weather-proof winter coat (or bring an umbrella) was fine.
    Once you're in the city centre, most places are accessible on foot. Lots of walking to do so bring comfortable (and broken in!) walking shoes / loafers.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Winter is also flu season and they had a very bad and deadly strain of the flu while I was there. I prepared by pumping up on vitamin C and brought those along. 500mg in the morning and another 500mg in the evenings to boost the immune system.

Definitely bring moisturising lip balm and body lotion too.

Miscellaneous: Bring an empty water tumbler or buy a bottle of water there and just re-use it. Tap water in Sydney is drinkable. No point wasting money on bottled water. A 600ml of Mt. Franklin spring water can cost up to $A3.50 at some establishments! To give you an idea of how much that price is inflated, a 1 litre bottle of the same thing cost $A1.79 at Woolsworth!

• Singles

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

Boy does it Rain

by mccrorj Written Jun 2, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If like me you grew up with pictures of bronzed beauties always on the beach beware it does rain in NSW and how. I come from the West Coast of Scotland a country renowned for its precipitation and I was shocked to see the volume of water that can fall from the sky. In all seriousness it made driving conditions almost impossible. This I suspect is particularly true in their winter months, I was there in late november. You have been warned take a raincoat, particularly in the winter months.

• Freebeacher's Profile Photo

Sydney

by Freebeacher Updated Jan 2, 2006

Luggage and bags: I always travel with a day pack and one under-the-plane soft bag only. After this Sydney trip I am reviewing whether I want to get a pack with wheels. I think it would be better. I don't travel with big backpacks because, although I am young at heart and stay in backpackers or campgrounds, I avoid sticky questioning by immigration types by looking more professonal, including my bag.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In the city people can dress very fashionably indeed. Sydney is a city of suits and power dresses. However, all kinds of styles can be seen and truly everyone will fit in. Of course, no clothes are needed at the nude beaches I list. It is the norm for girls to sunbathe topless with a thong or g-string bottom at most regular Sydney beaches.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: No need to bring except maybye sunscreen (suncreme). I found that overpriced compared to the USA. Woolworths supermarket and Coles supermarket have limited generic brand toiletry products that are very cheap.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Outside of the Sydney area on the ocean beaches many invest in a cloth windscreen which you set up around you when sunbathing to keep out wind and any blowing sand.

• Beaches

• arv1's Profile Photo

Blue Mountain Clothes

by arv1 Written Jul 2, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you are going to the Blue Mountains in winter you will definately need warm clothes!! It gets very cold up there! As well as comfortable shoes, as there is a lot to see, and you will spend a lot of time walking! In summer, I was told you would need a hat to cover your eyes

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring insect repellent

Photo Equipment: Just don't forget it!! And bring an extra film reel as it is hard to find here!

• National/State Park

• Skylink's Profile Photo

Packing List

by Skylink Updated Aug 26, 2002

Miscellaneous: There is a TRS scheme where you can receive a refund of GST tax for purchases over $300 in one store (purchased at different times on different receipts). These items must be carried in one's hand luggage according to the brochures. One must keep the tax invoices (all the receipts I got were labelled as receipt/tax invoice).

• ombre's Profile Photo

Packing List

by ombre Written Aug 24, 2002

Miscellaneous: When you visit Sydney the NATIONAL MARITIME MUSEUM IS GREAT .
    here you can see replicas of the endeavour (which was the ship Captain James cook discovered australia) and check out a submarine.
    last time i was in Sydney I did this tour and felt part of it was great and some was a waist of time.reason being it is divided into different packages which can end up expensive.
    being a international city some tourist things are great to visit but are far more expensive than the should be.
    reason they know you will visit and if you don't come back they still get enough business
    going through the sub takes times as only a limited number can go at one time.
    they have different packages depending on what you want to do.
    They really charge to much and if the prices were better it would be great.

Sydney Hotels

Latest Sydney Hotel Reviews

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (68 Harbour Street Sydney Nsw 2000)
Carlton Crest Hotel Sydney
Latest: Apr 21, 2014
Medina Grand Sydney
Latest: Apr 22, 2014
Metro Hotel Sydney (300 Pitt Street.)
Old Sydney Holiday Inn
Swissotel Sydney
Base Backpackers
Best Western Hotel Stellar Sydney

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Sydney What to Pack

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Sydney locals.
Map of Sydney