Aria Restaurant, Sydney

Food & View to die for
    by aussiedoug
  • Aria Restaurant: Vino with View

by Ciao_Angie Written May 29, 2005

A great place if you do not mind spending a bit more. Superb wine list and the wine recommended (a Carlei 2001 Cabernet) was indeed wonderful. Good view of the opera house and the harbour bridge. The choice of main course is a bit limited - but not a problem as all of us were thoroughly pleased with what we were served

• astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

Aria Restaurant: Its all about the food!

by astro_kerryn Updated Apr 26, 2005

Modern Australian cuisine created by celebrity chef Matt Moran. I have been here for lunch a few times, and for an exclusive degustation dinner which included wines selected by Matt Moran. Matt came out with each of the 12 courses, poured the wine he had chosen and discussed his selection and the dish he had made. He said he goes out every morning to the fish and fresh food markets to select the fresh ingredients for the day drawing his inspiration from the freshest seasonal produce. The degustation menu he served us was absolutely divine! My favourite was a creamy lobster meat bisque with salmon roe that took almost two days to make!
    Every time I have had lunch at Aria, I have enjoyed it, and usually have the crispy skin Barramundi or another fish dish.
    However almost everyone I have been with has been offended by the service. For me, the attitude is exactly what I would expect from a restaurant that is more about image, fame and ego, as well as good food of course! Someone has to pay for the Armani suits on the Maitre d, so the clientelle tend to be business people and the waiters act accordingly............four girls gossiping too loudly and drinking too much champagne, will naturally lead to service issues in a place like this!!
    This restaurant aint cheap! The view overlooking Circular Quay and the Bridge is great and the food is worth it!

Favorite Dish: Any seafood dish!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Aria Restaurant: Oozing Class with Food & Service. View's Gr8 too

by aussiedoug Updated Jan 19, 2005

Food & View to die for

Funny how things happen. I've said that before & will undoubtedly say it again. This wasn't on the agenda at all as I was supposed to be taking my eldest of 3 brothers-in-law (Gavin) to a wine tasting, but for some reason that didn't come off so instead he took me out to dinner.

This place is nothing short of "SUPERB" in every possible way from the moment we walked through the door to the time we left. It is expensive, but boy oh boy you are getting what you pay for here & it is worth every cent. If you can afford to I recommend that you DO NOT PASS UP THE OPPORTUNITY OF DINING HERE!!!

My title sums it up perfectly. It oozes class from the moment you step through the door to be met by the maitre' d. The wait staff are elegantly understated in the attention to you with their excellent service in every way. The menu is just perfection & the wine list is almost beyond belief with an excellent balance of Australian & particularly French wines.

After we had ordered we were presented with some "unordered & compimentary" hors d'ouevres" - one each, that were tantalisingly delicious. Also at the end of our meal, after dessert, we were brought petit fours (think I got my French spelling wrong there - please correct me).

I've almost forgotten to mention the view of the Opera House, the Harbour & the Bridge. Click on the photo to get an idea. It's from a postcard-type advertising thing of the restaurant Gavin picked up & gave to me.

Favorite Dish: Prepare yourselves for a mouth-watering few minutes now.

I began with Baked Fig with goat curd salad & cod brandase. Excellent subtle flavours & just the right amount. (A$36)
    Gavin began with Lobster Ravioli with citrus burnt butter & baby herbs (A$39) which he enjoyed immensely.
    Moving on to the mains & we both ordered the same thing.
    Baked Sandwich of King George Whiting with asparagus & truffle dressing (A$49)
    Along with this we ordered two sides. One of steamed Broccoli & herb butter & one of Desiree potato & truffle mash.
    With this we thoroughly enjoyed every drop of a bottle of 2002 Pouilly-Fume Serge Dageneau from the Loire Valley, France (A$70).

What a magnificent repast so far! But we weren't quite finished. Knowing me as you do you know dessert beckoned & again & I finished my meal perfectly with:
    Caramel Cigars & Lemon Curd with a salad of strawberries & strawberry sorbet. It could only have been better if I'd been in Paris & it hand been framboise - raspberries. (A$20).

Check the website & upload the menus & wine lists for yourself to see what you will have when you come to Sydney.

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Hotels Near Aria Restaurant
0.1 miles away