Balmain & Rozelle Restaurants, Sydney

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Pub with No Name(CLOSED...so Sad!): Great Mussels and Belgian Beer

by cjg1 Updated Feb 8, 2012

Delicious Mussles

Pub with No Name was just reopened four months ago with new owners; two brothers (great guys we had alot of un with them). The Pub specializes in Belgian beer and has just about every type you could want. My wife is a Belgian Beer nut so this place made her incredibly happy especially since they had some of her favorites; Stella, Leffe Blonde, Orval, Chimay Rouge.

The pub itself is right on a main street and is very large. They have several dining areas throughout including an outdoor area in back as well as bar seating. We first came here for drinks but then decided to come back later for a meal. One of the owners told us his mussels were amazing so we had to try them out. The mussels were served in large Belgian pots with chips and mayo for dipping. The mussels were cooks in the Provencal style and the smell was amazing. The mussels themselves were fresh tasting and so delicous cooked in that flavorful broth. The chips I must say are the best I have had in Sydney hands down. My wife loved the mussels here and has said that this was the best mussels she had had in her travels; and that says alot to me.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Canteen: Canteen, in Balmain

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Treat at Canteen

Canteen is a café located on the main drag in Balmain. I have visited there on and off over several years and always seem to go back there even though it is not the best place in the area....it is just and easy option.

The main draw card is that Canteen has some tables on the street which are great for a sunny (but not too hot) day, and a good place for people watching as well. Breakfasts are popular here, and they have a range of light meals for lunch, as well as a decent selection of cakes and other tasty treats.

Favorite Dish: Last time I visited was to have coffee with some friends. We weren't able to snag one of the coveted outside tables, so had to make do with sitting inside. You have to order and pay up at the counter and then your order will be delivered to you. We found the service to be slow, and one of our party's coffee was first made incorrectly and then they forgot about it….

Oh well, the coffee was actually quite good when it did arrive, and the little treats we had were good too - I couldn't go past the cute little cupcake with the heart on top.

• Balmain & Rozelle Restaurants: Tuk Tuk - fabulous Thai Resturant in Balmain

by lavieenrose Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you are looking for a real non touristy experience dining where locals dine - I highly recommend this restaurant in Balmain. The food is amazing - honestly I think it's the best Thai restaurant in Sydney. It's the real deal, very authentic. My husband and I drive over an hour just to eat here.

The prices are very reasonable and you can BYO (bring your own - a common concept here that allows you to bring your own wine to a restaurant although they do charge for corkage)or buy wine there.

In the warmer months ask for a table on the balcony so you get a view of the world passing by below.

Favorite Dish: I have several favourites in this resturant. The Chicken Pad Thai Cashew Nut is outstanding. The best I've had anywhere.

Try the balmain bug with sweet basil sauce - delectable.

The Masaman Lamb is also delicious.

The best thing about this restaurant is the way they harmonise the flavours.

• Badia a Coltibuono: Wonderful restaurant in Tuscany

by rayman2005 Updated Apr 4, 2011

July 2006, a dreamy trip through Tuscany's Chianti wine region.

There is a very good restaurant set in the grounds of an old abbey called Badia a Coltibuono, near Gaiole.

This restaurant has it all - history, class, and most of all it's a great dining experience.

Owner Paolo Stucchi has had the property in the family for generations, and one arrives to a warm welcome and a great view.

The Menu Degustazione for 49 Euros is a great way of sampling a variety of local food, with 4 glasses of the wine you really want to taste included.

Among the wines are a Chianti Classico red, Sangioveto red and a quality Vino Bianco from Coltibuono to start.

A truly memorable experience with the professionalism of Paolo Stucchi adding to the atmosphere.

Thanks Paolo for a great afternoon.

Rayman

Favorite Dish: From the 49 Euro Degustazione menu -

The home made pasta with deer ragout, a touch of local juniper = and bay leaf is wide, flat pasta cooked al dente with a delicious sauce that is = not too gamey, and even = satisfied the bambi-lovers at the table. The smooth Chianti Classico R.S. 2004 D.O.C.G. di Coltibuono seems to = be made for this dish.

The suckling pig braised in Vin = Santo dessert wine and sauteed fennel is superb - tender = flavoursome lean meat, accompanied by their Sangioveto I.G.T. 2000 di Badia a Coltibuono.

From the a la carte menu for first course, our favourites the Tagliolini home made chick-pea noodles with mussels and sauteed corgetteand the Risotto mantecano whisked with pesto and aubergine mousse, both for 9 Euros.

And the Secondi (main course) has a mouthwatering choice. Try the duck leg = roasted in porchetta and stuffed with sausage for 16 Euros.

Or the grilled young rooster with pan fried peppers for 16 Euros, or even the pot-roasted local lamb saddle with potatoes baked in bayleaf for 17 Euros.

The fagioli beans, either white or green with the superb local extra virgin olive oil and a touch of salt are also wonderful (4 Euros).

• Birdie2219's Profile Photo

London Pub: Dont miss the great steaks

by Birdie2219 Written Jul 8, 2008

Hi...Rozelle & Balmain are so much of Sydneys maritime history and very much a part of the city itself. 10 minutes by bus - hop on in Druit St near the Town Hall and over Madonna's Bra (ANZAC bridge) and get off two stops later corner of Victoria Rd and Darling St. walk acoss street and stroll thru Darling St with its ecletic shops, cafes and gorgeous old homes stop along the way for a lager or three and lunch at the London Hotel. !! walk on further to the East Balmain wharf which is opposite the beautiful Harbour Bridge catch the ferry back to the city - ferry goes under the bridge - dont forget your camera~!!

Favorite Dish: Indian ,Thai or good Aussie fare at the London Hotel! ANYTHING!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Cafe 2000 Gelataria: Genuine Italian food & the BEST Gelato!

by aussiedoug Updated Feb 4, 2004

Tonino's range of gelati

I have been using this cafe since it first opened approximately 3 and a bit years ago. Tony (Tonino) & his wife Anna are the owner/operators.
    I more often than not (till last year when I moved out of the city to take up a Primary School Principal's job) had breakfast there & often bought lunch there. As a Family we also have usually had Friday evening dinner there.
    Tony has gained wide acclaim (&deservedly so!) for his handmade gelato. He uses fresh ingredients and they truly are delicious. If you have been lucky enough to enjoy ice-cream at Berthillon's in Paris then you really shouldn't miss the gelato at Cafe 2000!

Favorite Dish: For Breakfast I often have the Firenze Speciali (Florence special), which is 2 poached eggs on English muffins with spinach and a light tomato-ish sauce accompanied with my favourite mocha coffee.
    For lunch I often have the Vegetarian Arancini with a serving of Broccoli &, more than likely a mocha (surprise, surprise!)
    For dinner, as often the 4 of us eat here on Friday evening, Keely, Bessie & I will have Zucchini Pizza & Broccoli Pizza (by the slice) while Bess & Mum will also have a slice of Mushroom Pizza. To drink, the Limonata San Peelgrino & of course will finish with Tony's famous Gelato. If Kerry & I have coffee this will all come to around $40Aust so those of you trading Euros or U.S. Dollars are really getting good value!

Instant Answers: Sydney