Central Sydney Restaurants, Sydney

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 43 Reviews

There's my slice of tasty....
    Waiting for my Libra Pizza
    The Libra Pizza
  • Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

Musashi: Musashi ~ Japanese Cuisine

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Apr 2, 2014

Chinggis and Borte had their first meal together at this restaurant.

The restaurant is located at 447 Pitt Street, Sydney, on the corner with Campbell Street Sydney.
    There are a few seats outside (on Campbell Street), but most tables are inside.

The menu offers an array of choices such as many choices of sushi rolls, sashimi platters, cooked meals such grilled eel (unagi) and rice, grilled eel with scrambled egg and rice (unagi donburi), pork katsu (crumbed and fried pork) and rice, teriyaki chicken, teriyaki salmon.

There are several bento box lunch sets which offer an excellent sample of various items off the menu and they also come with a miso soup.

Favorite Dish: The Bento Boxes or lunch sets offer a lot of food and a lot of variety in the samples in the box, and are good value.

I am a big fan of Japanese style grilled eel (and the sauce they use for the eel). I love the unagi (grilled eel) options - ngiri, eel with rice, or eel donburi which is eel, egg and rice.

I also love the freshness of sashimi (raw fish) and dipping it into soy sauce.

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

ENCASA: Spanish Cuisine near Central Station

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Apr 2, 2014

Encasa Spanish restaurant is in walking distance from Central station, at 423 Pitt Street, Sydney, and offers a delicious array of Tapas, as well as Pizzas, pastas, nice salads, and of course classic Spanish main meals from several regions of Spain. I have never had a bad meal there. In fact, every morsel is really delicious and packed with flavour.

It gets busy with big group reservations, so it is best to make a booking, if possible. Phone (02)9211 4257. The website is www.encasarestaurant.com.au

It is a licensed restaurant, so alcohol can be purchased there, including sangria, though as someone who does not drink alcohol, that is not one of my selections and I cannot comment on whether it is good or not.

Favorite Dish: Some favourite tapas of mine include the:

Patatas Bravas - Fried potato with garlic mayonnaise and spicy tomato salsa
    Gambas con Alioli - Grilled prawns with fresh made garlic mayonnaise
    Mejillones a la Marinera - Black mussels in fresh tomato sauce with basil and chilli
    Gambas al Ajillo - king prawns in sizzling garlic oil and chilli
    Chorizo a la Plancha - Grilled Spanish sausage
    Alcachofas - Artichoke hearts in olive oil, fresh herbs, lemon and chilli
    Champiñones al Ajillo - Sizzling garlic mushrooms
    Tortilla Española - Omelette with potato and onion

There are more to choose from than the above, and I have never had one I did not like.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Summit(CLOSED): Summit

by cjg1 Updated Nov 1, 2013

We came here for one reason. Ok two. Because everyone said don't waste your money on the AMP tower (which I had already been up previously) and come here and spend the money on a drink. That and we had invited Doug to lunch. So we all had a lightish lunch and drinks for Janet and I as Doug was driving.
    From the 47th floor the views are great. The dining floor revolves. And it makes for a very pleasant time.

Favorite Dish: I had the steak and spinach washed with a mojito. It was very very good.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Cortile Lounge: InterContinental Hotel

by grandmaR Updated Sep 1, 2012
    Looking up from our table

On our first evening, we weren't interested in a full dinner. They gave us a six pm wake-up call and we did get up and go down and went to the bar to get a snack. This is a courtyard area on the ground floor but I could get to it with the scooter

Favorite Dish: My granddaughter had chicken quesidillas and boardwalk fries and three glasses of water. I had cranberry juice and a club sandwich.

• Disabilities
    • Seniors

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cafe Opera: InterContinental Hotel

by grandmaR Written Sep 1, 2012
    Buffet

This is the fancy full service restaurant in this hotel. The hotel website says: Enjoy a seasonally inspired, interactive buffet with live cooking stations and theatrical dessert displays or sample the delights of the restaurants French-inspired à la carte menu. Cafe Opera’s team of chefs are dedicated in the search for the freshest ingredients available in Sydney’s local markets.

Favorite Dish: At the end of the first day, we hobbled up to the restaurant. I was too tired to eat anything much so I had a little steak. I just was too tired to stand at the buffet. My granddaughter had the buffet. For a child's buffet it was $45.00

• Disabilities

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Summit Restaurant & Orbit Lounge: Restaurant with a 360 View

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 23, 2011

Enjoining a Mojito before lunch

Our last afternoon in Sydney we decided to do something different for lunch and splurge a bit. We asked the concierge about a local restaurant with views and he recommened this place.

The resatuarant is quite beautiful. It is located in a high rise business building. We were treated with 360 views of the city of Sydney as well as exceptionally good food. The restaurant is on a circular platform that rotates around the building giving you a different view as it takes about an hour to fully rotate.

Doug (aussiedoug) was meeting up with us then taking us to the airport so we invited him to join us for lunch. This is an upscale restaurant, so expect to pay for it!

Favorite Dish: We each ordered the 1 course lunch. I believe I had the ocean trout and I know that the other members of our party ordered the beef filet and the chicken.

The trout was excellent. Along with the lunch order we ordered a sour loaf which came with an assortment of hummus and different sauces for dipping.

I had a Mojito with my lunch which was quite good. Meals are not cheap.

• Beer Tasting

• AustralianClassychic's Profile Photo

Casa Asturiana - Spanish Restaurant: FANTASTIC PAELLA!

by AustralianClassychic Updated Apr 4, 2011

The atmosphere - cosy!

The service - great!

The food - magnificent!

A definite must while in Sydney!

Favorite Dish: Entree (Tapas) - The olives and chicken wings, delicious!

Mains - The Seafood Paella, to die for!

Dessert - Strawberries in a vanilla liquer, mouthwatering!

• Women's Travel

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Lindt Café: Lindt Café, on Martin Place

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Lindt Excellence Tart

Sydney was a buzz with news of the new Lindt Café that had opened on Martin Place. Apparently this was THE place to go if you like your chocolate. How could I resist!

The café is housed in a stunning building on the corner of Martin Place and Elizabeth Street. A former bank, it was also previously home to the fine dining restaurant called Bank, and its marble columns and high ceilings make you feel like you are in for a very special experience.

If you just want to have a browse here there are lots of chocolate displays and counters of chocolates, cakes and other treats to take home with you. There are flavours of Lindt balls that you have never even imagined!

Favorite Dish: One day after several hours of CBD shopping I met up here with Alex for an indulgent afternoon tea. There was a queue for tables, but it looked like it would be worth the wait. Once seated, we started to work our way through the menu of chocolaty treats. We decided to by-pass the hot chocolates as they looked too rich, and went for a pot of tea and a milkshake for our drinks - the milkshake was evil as you could imagine.

To eat, we shared a Chocolate Sable (a type of choc chip cookie) and the ultimate indulgence - the Lindt Excellence Tart. The tart was very amazing, and incredibly rich. We couldn't finish it, and I must admit to feeling sick for a couple of hours afterwards. Would I do it again - absolutely!

• Luxury Travel

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Eat City: Eat City - in the City Hotel, in the CBD

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dinner at Eat City

Eat City is a modern bistro style restaurant located upstairs at the City Hotel. We dined there one evening with some very special people and had a fabulous night. The restaurant was surprisingly empty for a Thursday night, but at least that meant that service was excellent!

The menu is fairly compact, with all meals being designed to share - they are "larger than entrée and smaller than traditional mains". We loved this concept as it meant we could order a few dishes to share between the four of us. After an exhausting selection process we decided on only four dishes, wanting to save room for dessert.

Favorite Dish: We had the Soft Shell Crab with Chilli Salt Crust first of all. It looked fabulous and tasted almost as good, though a little too salty for me. Next up was the incredibly rich Duck Leg Confit with Braised Lentils.

After that came the Kurobuta Pork Neck with Cabbage & Apples - the pork was juicy and the apples were disguised as melon balls. Last but certainly not least was the Wagyu Beef with Gratin Potato & Mushroom Red Wine Jus. This was my favourite dish of the evening - the beef was incredibly tender and flavoursome.

Don't you just love a dessert trolley...hmmm....well, I thought I did, but there wasn't much on the Eat City trolley that tempted me. In the end we ordered a couple of the Chocolate Pyramids which were probably the low-light of the meal.

All in all though it was a great night - some very tasty wine, good food and the best type of company : )

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Longrain: Better than in Bangkok !!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 25, 2011

awesome place !!!!

Wow is the word for this place......Longrain serves better Thai food than if you were in Bangkok.. (AND I HAVE BEEN TO THAILAND).....a long commune table and excellent bar on the other side makes this an "IN" place for the high end crowd.......come early, come late, the place is always full......and the food is the reason why !!!!! if you are just with one person I would recommend that you sit next to eat other instead of across from each other as the table is pretty big. The food is served in big portions and are meant to be shared......and believe me when they place the food in front of you....you almost have to share !!!!! WOW !!!! The service was excellent with the waiter answering every question I threw at him !!!!!! PERFECT 10 out of 10 .....HIGHLY RECOMMEND......Top 5 in my list of best restaurant's from around the WORLD !!!!!!

Favorite Dish: Curried Vension is a stock pot with mushrooms and leeks !!! AMAZING !!!! oh and at the bar....Watermelon Martini !!!! two thumbs up !!!!!!

• Luxury Travel

• Din Tai Fung, Sydney: Great Chinese food in Sydney

by thescene Written Feb 7, 2011

Din Tai Fung is a Chinese restaurant that originated in Taiwan. It has since expanded to other countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and Australia. It's ONE and ONLY branch in Australia is located in World Square in central Sydney. Normally this place is filled so be ready to come early or be prepared to wait. If you are made to wait then staff members will give you the menu and you can start selecting the things you will order once you do get your table. Once inside you are treated to walls lined up kitchen utensils, dishes and other dining stuff as decorations. The must have dish to have is the soup filled dumplings or Xiao Long Bao which are just divine. You can pair them up with a hot bowl of noodles. It's just the best meal you can have in the city and well worth the wait.

Favorite Dish: Xia Long Bao

Prime: Excellent !!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 23, 2010

Loved it !!!!!

Considered by many as the best steakhouse in all of Australia PRIME.....doesn't disappoint.......the prices are very good for the quality of beef serve here.......THE US dollar isn't as strong as in pervious years, but it goes a long way at this place. Located in the basement of the GPO (General Post Office) building in downtown Sydney...the restaurant has an almost secert entrance and the staff and sommiler were attentive and extremely friendly for such a high end place.

Favorite Dish: The house special fillet mignon.......soft enough to cut it with a fork !!!!!! The wine list is very heavy on Australian wine, but it does have French, American, and other world wines for your pleasure !!!!

Glass Bassiere inside The Hilton Hotel: OVERALL 10 out of 10

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 23, 2010

perfect !!!!!

I must say, this is a great restaurant !!!!! When you first walk in the impressive wine cellar or racks is stunning to look at, the service is near perfect, very friendly, the menu is easy to understand, the wine list is superb (the resident sommlier is always on hand to help with your choices) and the prices are standard with other high end places !!!! starters run from $12 AU to $30 AU, main dishes run from $30 AU to $50 AU and desserts from $12 AU to $18 AU.......I must say this and ICEBERGS (read my other tip) are probably the best places in town !!!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND it perfect 10 out of 10 !!!!!

Favorite Dish: Had steak with mash !!!!! wow !!!!!!

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Giovanni's: The Libra Pizza

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 21, 2009

The Libra Pizza

We literally stumbled upon Giovanni's one day. We were set to meet up with LAura in an hour or so for drinks and I was starving. I knew I couldn't last until then for a meal. The sign was high on a building and we ventured up the excalator for a look at what they had on the menu. It was a pizza/italian restaurant so I knew we'd find something I liked. The restaurant is raher large with huge windows on one side looking down on the street below. The menu has some interesting speciality pizzas named after the twelve signs of the zodiac as well as other italian dishes. After checking out the menu, Chris and I decided on the Libra Pizza (which is only fitting since I am a Libra and the following day was my Birthday). The pizza was very good and fresh. I enjoyed the black olives and the plump tomatoes on the pizza. It was a perefect choice to tame my rumbling tummy.

I realy enjoyed the pizza, the atmospher and the peopl watching from the window. This is definitely a place I would return to for some tasty pizza.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

PJ O' Briens: A Burger for a Tired Girl....

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 21, 2009

PJ Obrien's is a pub/restuarnt in the Grace Hotel. It's a cute multilevel place with lots of seating. We decided to duck in here for a quick bite on our first evening in Sydney. There is a nice pub atmosphere and we felt comfortable at a nice table on the first floor. The menu consisted of some pub grub favorites as well as some real dinner selections such as steak.
    Our waitress was friendly and attentive and kept a good check on our drink refills. We both decided on burgers for our meal. The burgers were a nice size and very tasty. I enjoyed the crisp french fries.

This is a nice place to grab a meal, snack or a pint. There are numerous TV's with sporting events if you'd like to check out some of the local sport.

Favorite Dish: The burger was very good and juicy. I like a nice sized burger that is cooked perfectly medium and I was not dissapointed here. The fries were very good and crisp not limp.

Instant Answers: Sydney