Central Sydney Restaurants, Sydney

4 out of 5 stars 44 Reviews

There's my slice of tasty....
    Waiting for my Libra Pizza
    The Libra Pizza
  • mikegr's Profile Photo

Sydney Central YHA Cafe: Avoid at all costs

by mikegr Written Nov 7, 2004

Without doubt the worst place ate (or tried to eat) in Sydney (or anywhere else in the world for that mtter).

I went here on my way to meeting my sister who was arriving from Townsville at the airport as it was cheap and very convenient (i was staying at the YHA hostel nextdoor).

I ordered a pasta dish and a glass of orange juice. My food had still not arrived after 30 minutes so I explained to a staff member that I was on a tight schedule - they apologised, but 15 minutes later my food had still not arrived.

At this point I decided to leave the restaurant but the manager demanded that I pay for the drink even though I had waited 45 minutes for food which had not arrived. I left the restaurant but he grabbed me and informed me that he would call the police if I did not pay.

I am normally a fairly easy going person - but i was furious. I paid the guy, throwing the money down on the street and had the satisfaction of watching him scrambling after the rolling coins.

Terrible service - I would urge you to avoid this establishment, despite the convenience.

Favorite Dish: I wish I had actaully got some food here so i could review it.

• peteyjim's Profile Photo

scruffy murphy's: a cheap eat

by peteyjim Updated Oct 28, 2004

What city is complete without an Irish Theme Pub?

Favorite Dish: Every day they have $5 meals here. Steak & Mash, Chicken Schnitzel, Vege Pasta or Fish & Chips. It's right in the backpacker area, so it's a good price. And they pour a good guinness.

There are other things on the menu, by the way.

• amazingclick's Profile Photo

Lots of them: Pitt St. - Everything available

by amazingclick Written Apr 10, 2004

Going Down Pitt St. and George St. you will find numerous restraunts serving various kinds of cuisine. I would specially like to mention the David Jones joint over there. You can have any kind of cuisine here. Its excellent. Do try it.

Favorite Dish: I tried everything from pasta to Pizza and it was excellent.

• WingFoot's Profile Photo

Mother Chu's: Great vegetarian Chinese food

by WingFoot Written Nov 23, 2003

Mother Chu's is a store like restaurant whose appearance hides the fact that it serves some of the best vegetarian chinese food you can get anywhere (sure to even satisfy hard-core carnivores).

I wonder if old Mother Chu is still around (she was very old the last time I visited and sometimes goes off to Vanuatu to see her daughter).

Favorite Dish: The Sze Chuan spicy eggplant and the crispy tofu dishes are out of this world.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo

One World: Excellent Eating

by Sweetberry1 Written Aug 27, 2003

This resturant/hotel is located in the central region of Sydney, not far from Chinatown and Circular Quay.
    The address has slipped my mind, but I will add that information as soon as I find out.
    The food was great, and there was a lot on the menu to choose from.
    Wine, beer and other drinks also available.

Favorite Dish: I had Spagetti Bolognese, and it was fantastic. The prices were reasonable also.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• pinkbear's Profile Photo

Banc: The most amazing cuisine - but at a price

by pinkbear Written Jun 6, 2003

Banc is right in the centre of Sydney's business/office district. Situated below ground level its ambience is classic style with a few trendy touches. Soft lighting and jazz give the place a romantic feel, but above all else the food is absolutely magnificent. It truly is fine dining at its finest.

Favorite Dish: Everything

• Business Travel

• AnnikaW's Profile Photo

Don't miss the MUD CAKE!

by AnnikaW Written Nov 13, 2002

It took us a long time to find a restaurant in Sydney wereally liked, but here it is!! Across the street from the cinema at George Street, a small café with outdoor tables and dinner serving.

Favorite Dish: The food is excellent, and the mud cake - it is... I can't describe it, you'll have to try it!! :)

• JL_StAug's Profile Photo

The Australian: Where business conservatives meet after work

by JL_StAug Written Sep 30, 2002

KInd of an upscale pub with trendy food and atmosphere, the Austrailian offers a good chance for a tourist to mingle with Sydney's business crowd. Grab one of the tables tucked away in the bar and munch out on good pub food.

Favorite Dish: Try the kangaroo pizza. It was awesome.

• julese's Profile Photo

The Chinese Noodle Bar: Frenetic Noodles

by julese Written Sep 30, 2002

Like most of my restaurant recommendations, the decor isn't much to talk of, mainly persian rugs on the wall and plastic grape bunches hanging from the ceiling, but the food is fantastic and the prices are good and low. It's a mad place and being quite small, you may have to wait a short while but it's well worth it. The food is honest and cheap and tastes marvellous. There's a real energy here and you can watch the noodles being prepared along with all the other stuff if you get to sit at the table by the kitchen wondow.

Favorite Dish: All the food here is good. I don't have a favourite yet, but watch this space because I'll probably be eating there alot.

• The Spanish Taverna @ the Sir...

by portia1971 Written Sep 7, 2002

The Spanish Taverna @ the Sir John Young Hotel
    Not haute cuisine but some of the best Spanish food this side of Madrid. A place best enjoyed with a bunch of mates the restaurant is known for it's paella and tapas platter.
    reasonably priced and with real Spanish staff, this place is a fave amongst Sydney's Spanish population who come here on weekends for big family lunches.
    Also attacts yuppies, office workers and the local political intelligenstia for sangria and conversation.
    Grab a seat outside to watch the world pass by in this area dubbed 'The Spanish Quarter'.
    Flamenco music plays in the background and pictures of the home country hang on the walls but there is nothing cheesy about the joint.

Favorite Dish: For a group:
    Paella - great fresh seafood of the day
    Grille Seafood Platter - it doesn't come much better than this
    Sangria - by the litre

• Skylink's Profile Photo

Want some crisps or snacks?...

by Skylink Updated Aug 26, 2002

Want some crisps or snacks? Woolworth on George Street opposite Town Hall and QVB (Queen Victoria Building) opens until 8 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday and closed slightly later (9 p.m.?) on weekdays. Other grocery stores include Coles Express in Wynyard Terminal and a store in a shopping center on Ultimo Road, 100m west of George Street.

• hokeypokey's Profile Photo

??? It's directly under the...

by hokeypokey Written Aug 25, 2002

??? It's directly under the YHA Sydney Central
    It's located right under the YHA Sydney Central opposite Central Station. One of the few actually really cheap places to have dinner or lunch. It's combined with an internet cafe so you while you're waiting for our dish (which doesn't take long at all) you could go see if you got mail.

Favorite Dish: I'v only had one: Cesar Salad but that was pretty yummy!!
    Just judging from the menue i guess the other didhes can't be that bad!

• Latin Quarter: Latin Quarter

by FredLDay Written Aug 24, 2002

The food was exceptional. The Oysters were baked and seasoned with perfection, the steak was sizzling and rare in the middle. Again, perfect. New potatoes were in the skins and delectable. That memory will last forever. Later, I found out that the restaurant was owned by a Yank.

Favorite Dish: Oysters on the half-shell and a 'Noisy steak'.

• UKDaisy's Profile Photo

Sky Phoenix: Sky Phoenix - trolley service dim sum

by UKDaisy Updated Feb 25, 2007

A nice restaurant to go to for dim sum (aka "yum cha" in Australia). The dim sum is served using a trolley service. Reasonable prices.

Instant Answers: Sydney