Chinatown Restaurants, Sydney

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 44 Reviews

Franks meal - cant remember what it was!
    My meal - fried rice :)
    Golden Harbour Restaurant

La Mesa: Filipino Cuisine in Goulburn Street Sydney

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Apr 2, 2014

La Mesa is a Filipino cuisine restaurant located at Level 1, 19 Goulburn Street, Sydney, which is in or near China Town.

In Australia "Level 1" or "First Floor" is not "ground" floor. The street entry level is Ground Floor. Level 1 or First Floor is the next level up.

On their website they note that there is no elevator up to the first floor, and no wheelchair access.
    People must use stairs to get to the restaurant.

It is a nice restaurant with a homely cosy atmosphere in which good, traditional Filipino cuisine is on offer. Many Filipino people are eating in the restaurant, which is a good indication that the food is good and authentic.

They have a la carte, banquet menus, lunch specials, etc.

The lunch specials are excellent value at between $11-$14 Australian and all are served with rice and vegetables. The website shows the lunch specials.

On the a la carte menu, they note that "Filipinos love their meat" and "unfortunately" the vegetarian and gluten free options are limited. Here is the link to the a la carte menu which includes appetizers and mains : http://lamesa.com.au/menu-card/ala-carte/

There are also nice Filipino style drinks such as coconut juice and lime (calamansi) juice, amongst other choices.

And the desserts are also delicious.

Favorite Dish: Filipino cuisine is delicious, and I do not think there is a bad choice at this restaurant.

We like Pork Adobo, Chicken Adobo, Longanisa (a sweet Filipino style sausage), Sinigang na Baboy (sinigang is tamarind, and so it is tangy and sour-sweet, and baboy is pork), Sinigang na Bangus (milkfish cooked in the tangy tamarind). The pinakbet (eggplant, snake beans, bitter melon, pumpkin, onions, garlic, tomato and bagoong - shrimp paste) is very tasty. So too are the noodle dishes - the Pancit (noodle) Canton (a Chinese style), Pancit Luglug (fish flakes, crispy pork), Pancit Bihon (noodles topped with chicken pieces, vegetables, prawns)....

And the rice dishes are nice, and include paella (adopted/borrowed/adapted from Spain), and also garlic rice and fried rice.

Zilver Restaurant: Yum Cha at Zilver, Haymarket

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Apr 2, 2014

If you enjoy Chinese Yum Cha, then Zilver is an excellent choice.
    Zilver is located upstairs in a small complex (with a post office and a small downstairs food court) off Hay Street, and the corner with Pitt Street.

Level 1, 477 Pitt Street, (corner with Hay Street), and in walking distance from Central Station and China Town.

It gets very busy at lunch time, so it is recommended to make a booking.

The trolleys of food are brought around offering diners many different selections.

Their website also indicates that they offer wedding banquets.

Favorite Dish: There are so many delicious selections at Yum Cha, from the long green beans with pork, the steamed dumplings with various fillings, the prawns or bbq pork wrapped in a large rice noodle with soy sauce, steamed bbq pork buns, bbq duck, spring rolls, steamed spinach, broccoli and other greens......

The various congee (rice porridge) on offer are also delicious.

And the desserts are also very nice, such as the mango pancakes (a must try!), coconut jelly, and egg tarts.....

Market City Food Court: Market City Food Court - Asian Cuisine options

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Apr 2, 2014

On Level 3 of Market City, which is at 9-13 Hay Street, Haymarket and very close to China Town, there is a Food Court which offers good quality meals from various Asian cuisines. There are Chinese BBQ duck and pork, seafood, noodles, soups, hotpots, Japanese, Korean, Cambodian, Thai, Vietnamese, Northern Indian. There is also a bar there, and a juice bar.

The options are plenty, and the meals are very good value.

Favorite Dish: There are several food outlets here. And I have had several good meals. I enjoy the BBQ duck and rice, or BBQ duck in soup with rice noodles. I have had a nice soup with pork belly at one outlet. There are really so many good choices to try, and there is surely something to suit all tastes.

If you look at the website link below, it shows a map of the food court, and if you click on each restaurant it will provide more information about their menus and style of food.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Marigold: Yum Cha

by cjg1 Updated Dec 11, 2013

Marigold is a popular place in the heart of Chinatown. Our first time here was during a visit in 2010. Our friend Jackie loves this place and decided to take us here for a farewell lunch. We arrived early at 10:30am since we were told the place gets jammed by 11am with a long wait for a table. We arrived to an already packed restaurant but with tables available. We were seated at a nice round table and not too far from the kitchen (which turned out to be a good thing since the food carts hit out table first).

The deal here is that you can order off the menu or pick dishes off of rolling carts that pass by your table. When you select a dish you table card is stamped to indicate what you chose and is tallied up later for your bill. Since we were so close to the kitchen we had first crack at the carts of steaming hot food rolling out. There is so much to choose from: noodles, wontons, dumplings, chicken, pork, soups, desserts, sticky rice, seafood, vegetables....it gets rather hard to decide.

We chose a variety of items from pork stuffed dumplings, fried tofu, spring rolls, seafood dumplings, noodles and veggies, meatballs, broccoli with soy sauce and a few others that escape my memory. This wasn’t just a meal; it was an experience and an adventure. I loved the food and the craziness of all the hungry patrons.

We recently returned in 2012 to the same delcicious food in a bustle of activity. We enjoyed a good lunch here before heading of to the Wine Festival and some Cricket.

Favorite Dish: There wasn't a thing I didn't love. In particular I love the pork buns, the salt and peper soft shell crab and the slimey noodles.

My wife adores their Mango pudding. I'm not a mango fan so she can keep it all for herself.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Mushashi: Dinner with Friends

by LadyRVG Updated May 14, 2012

Fresh, delicious sushi!

Mushashi is a restaurant my husband is very familiar with; having come here many times before so I knew I would have a good meal. We decided to meet some friends here for dinner after a day of wandering Sydney. This place is very popular so a booking is a definite must if you don't want a long wait. We had reservations for 7pm and had no problem being seated immediately. Shortly after being seated Jackie arrived followed by Helen.

The menu has a large selection of sushi and sashimi to choose from along with tasty appetizers, drinks and beer. We started with some edamame for the table and we perused the menu for our main courses. I don't remember what Jackie and Helen orderd but I had the California Rolls while Chris had some Eel along with a Saporo. The food here is very good and fresh. I loved my rolls and my husband was very happy with his eel.

The only bad thing about this restaurant is trying to get the check... The servers are so busy that you literally have to pin them down for it.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Marigold: One of my favorites....

by LadyRVG Updated May 11, 2012

Spring Rolls

Marigold is one of my favorite "things to do" now when in Sydney. Hubby and I first came here in 2010 with our friend Jackie and fell in love with the place. I say it's a "thing to do" because to eat here is an experience. The place is jam packed with patrons hungry for the delicious food carts that circle around the tables in the dining room.

Basically, you are seated and given a card. As food carts make their rounds you select what you want and the server punhces you card to indicate what you had and the price. It's food Bingo...lol. The carts have everything you could imagine from chicken, beef, pork, seafood, veggies and desserts. Everything looks so good and tastes even better.

We've eaten here twice so far; in 2010 with Jackie and again in 2012 with Jackie and our friend Gavin before we went off to cricket. The food here is incredibly fresh and wonderful to eat. I'd have to say my favorite here are the salt and pepper soft shell crab, the steamed brocolli, salt & pepper squid and the mango pudding. Just writing about it is making me hungry....

So if you are in Sydney, head over to Chinatown and enjoy some food at Marigold; you will be happy you did.

**Get there early on the weekend around 10am to ensure you get a table and don't have a long wait.**

Favorite Dish: The salt and pepper soft shell crab is definitely my favorite hands down. I love the crisp, salty shell and the delicious sweet crab meat inside.

The mango pudding is a must have when I come here. I am a huge fan of anything that contains mango and this is delicious. The pudding is creamy smooth and is topped with a light, silky cream. I could eat my weight in Mango pudding if someone would let me.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Musashi: Excellent Sushi

by cjg1 Updated Apr 19, 2012

Liz waiting for her meal (November 2010)

Mushashi is a place I first visited many years back with my friends Helen and Doug. During our November 2010 trip we decided to have a nice dinner here with our friends Helen and Jackie. We recently returned here for a dinner meetup with Helen.

This place is busy and right in the center of Chinatown. The food here is incredible and everyone knows it; so make a booking for a table. We had a booking for 6pm and Helen was already seated and waiting for us(a bit of rain delayed us).

After perusing the menu; which is so hard to do since everything looks amazing we all decided on our main dishes. I went with my favorite; eel rolls, Liz had her California rolls, Helen ordered a large combination sushi platter. Helen's plate was incredible...there were tons of food on it. I was so surprised that such a tiny girl could eat the whole lot. Wow...Helen! I was very pleased with my meal; the food was just as amazing as I had remembered and so fresh.

The only downside to this restaurant is that it gets jam packed and very busy; getting a check or a waitress can be difficult.

Favorite Dish: Love the eel rolls; very fresh and delicious.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Happy Chef, Chinatown: Best laksa

by colin_bramso Updated Sep 10, 2011

The best laksa

Chinatown has many restaurants and food courts offering a huge variety of dishes from all regions of China. The food court at Sussex Centre is worth visiting to try the speciality dishes at Happy Chef.

Favorite Dish: The laksa and the seafood noodle soup are as good, or better, than you'll find anywhere.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Dixon: Fantastic Chinese

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 23, 2011

Dixon Restaurant

We were leisurely exploring Chinatown when we became a bit hungry and decided to grab some lunch.

We stumbled upon this place and decided to try it as there were plenty of people outside enjoying their meals. They had a really good prixe fix lunch menu and the choices looked quite yummy.

We sat outside and enjoyed some people watching and a few beers during our lunch. The atmosphere was quite nice and relaxing.

Favorite Dish: The prixe fix menu for AUS $12 was a fantastic price. The price included soup and spring rolls with the main course. I had the chicken with cashews and my travel partner had the chicken with vegatables. Rice was also included witht he meal which was served in a steaming rice cooker.

• Beer Tasting

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Yin Li Sichuan Restaurant: Fresh Cheap and Delicious

by lindyz Updated May 15, 2011

Frank and I ate here when Georgia and her friend went to a concert at Hordern pavillion. Our primary task in eating at Chinatown was to suss out a good restaurant for our meeting with fb/vt friends in May! This place was pretty good, food was cheap, quick, fresh and pretty delicious. I think we had the $15 banquet which included spring roll and dim sim, plus main meal. I cannot exactly remember what we ate, but do remember it was good!!

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Golden Harbour Restaurant: Great Value in Chinatown

by lindyz Updated May 15, 2011

Outside seating area of Golden Harbour Restaurant

We just took a stroll through Chinatown for dinner on Saturday night and decided on this place called the Golden Harbour Restaurant, the prices looked decent and the lady out the front said they offered a money-back guarantee on their meals!!!!

Sue and I both had a chicken dish with boiled rice, plus I had a cocktail and Sue had a small bottle of Champagne and the bill came to just under $50, which for central Sydney, is quite good value. Meals were about $15 each, rice was $2 each and my drinks were about $8 each. It was rather funny though when I decided to order a cocktail and my failing memory meant I did know know what was in them and I asked the waiter and he did not know either. So he then ran off to get a list from the bar and came back with this rather ancient list that was very difficult to understand!!! I cant remember what I ordered, but it was nice, it had vodka, lemonade and blue curacao in it.

This Restaurant was also the venue for our Sydney meet in May. Having looked at many BYO places in Dixon Street, Golden Harbour was chosen, having the $25 each per person banquet meal. There ended up being 16 of us at the meal, the food was delicious and quickly served and I think there was enough for all of us. Cant remember exactly what the dishes were, fried rice, a prawn and vegie dish, sweet and sour pork I think, a beef dish and a few others.

Favorite Dish: My dish was Chicken with chinese mushrooms, and it was delicious, apart from the large chunks of ginger I discovered (I hate ginger!)

The food was soooooo quick to arrive ... I swear it was at our table within 3 minutes of ordering it!!!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Red Chilli Sichuan Restaurant: Superb Chinese food in Sydney

by SWFC_Fan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Red Chilli Sichuan Restaurant, Sydney

I ate at Red Chilli Sichuan Restaurant on a couple of occasions during my visit to Sydney in April 2006.

This large Chinese restaurant is located in the heart of Sydney's "Chinatown" district on Little Hay Street and Dixon Street.

The menu offers a large choice of stir frys containing either chicken, beef, pork, seafood or vegetables, but the emphasis is firmly on chilli peppers! The menu displays little chillis to indicate how hot a dish is, so you can choose a dish that best suits your tastes.

Particularly good value is the special lunchtime menu which features a host of dishes for under 10 AUD. I selected my meal from this menu on both occasions that I ate here.

You can find here the special lunchtime menu and view the restaurant's interior here.

The tables are set with tablecloths and napkins and the staff are friendly and attentive. All diners receive a complimentary pot of Chinese tea.

Favorite Dish: On both occasions that I dined here I opted for:

Kung Pao Chicken with Roasted Peanuts and Chillis - Cost: 8.80 AUD

This dish started with a complimentary bowl of soup (containing tofu, chillis and spring onion).

The main course was a large stir fry with tender pieces of good quality chicken and a hot sauce containing fiery red chillis, roasted peanuts and a selection of vegetables. The meal was served with a bucket sized bowl of white steamed rice, more than enough for half a dozen people, let alone just one! Excellent quality, and excellent value for money! The main course alone would have cost me 12.80 AUD outside of the special lunch hours.

Can of Fanta orange juice - Cost: 3 AUD

Excellent value lunchtime meals, superb quality food. Highly recommended!!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Superbowl Chinese Restaurant: Good value Chinese food in Haymarket

by SWFC_Fan Updated Feb 16, 2011

Superbowl Chinese Restaurant, Sydney

I ate at Superbowl Chinese Restaurant one lunchtime during my visit to Sydney in April 2006.

This large Chinese restaurant, which specialises in seafood, is located on Goulburn Street in the "Chinatown" area of Haymarket. There is another branch of Superbowl on nearby Dixon Street.

I didn't scrutinise the menu too closely as I knew that I'd be picking from the special set lunch menu, but the usual array of dishes were to be found there - that is, soups, appetizers, chicken, pork, beef, seafood and vegetarian stir frys and rice and noodle dishes. A typical stir fry will set you back 15+ AUD.

Somewhat more unusually, this restaurant offers a huge selection of fresh fruit juices and health shakes.

The special set lunch menu includes a variety of dishes (circa 20) to choose from and costs just 8.80 AUD. For an additional 1 AUD you can add a fresh fruit juice to your meal.

Favorite Dish: I opted for the special set menu lunch, with a fruit juice:

For 9.80 AUD I got:

Handmade Shanghainese noodles in hot chilli sauce

An enormous plate of thick noodles, pieces of pork, carrots, various green vegetables in a hot (but invisible) chilli sauce. I could only manage to eat half of it such was the size of the portion.

Fried vegetables in oyster sauce

A selection of green leaves and shoots in a salty oyster sauce.

Fresh watermelon juice

Pureed watermelon juice (approx. 250ml) served with ice cubes.

Complimentary pot of Chinese tea

Lots of choice, large portions and an excellent value for money lunch menu!

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

iTaiwan: - iTaiwan - fight with a computer for your meal

by sirgaw Written Oct 17, 2009

Wandering along Dixon Street we were accosted by a number of restaurant touts trying to lure us into their eatery. Then we walked past a restaurant with a modern façade, bright lights and stylish looking staff all dressed in their black tea shirts with the restaurants name - and no pesky touts. OK we were hooked, so wandered in.

The normal menu was replaced by touch screen computer terminals on each table, so we craned our aging necks and sifted through the selection. We chose 3 entrees and one main course between us as well as a cold drink each.

The list on the computer screen seemed to indicate our order was in progress judging by the little image of a chef busy at work cooking up the order and before we really had a chance to think what we would order next, the first of our 4 orders was on the table - talk about fast, friendly and efficient service! We were still trying to figure out how to get the bill when it came along. Perhaps the computer knew that we had finished and wanted to leave.

A drink each, and the 4 plates we ordered came to $35 – great value

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Golden Century Seafood Restaurant: Fresh Seafood Chinese style

by Joseph69 Written Dec 2, 2008

There are many Chinese restaurants around Sydney, but many are not really up to scratch in my opinion. The Golden Century Seafood Restaurant is one of the good ones in Sydney, and it's located in Chintatown in the south of the Sydney CBD.

It has the typical Chinese decore and ambience. It's very busy, so if you don't have a booking on a busy night, you will wait around 1 to 2 hours for a table. You can always reserve a table, go for a drink nearby and come back. :)

For those that don't want seafood, there are plenty meat and vegetarian dishes.

If you do choose a fresh fish and/or lobster and/or crab from the many fish tanks within the restaurant, they will put it inside a bag and bring it to your table for your confirmation before they go ahead and cook it. It's obviously one of the best ways to eat seafood.

Favorite Dish: Try the fresh lobster and any fresh fish! :) Very nice.

• Business Travel