Chinatown Restaurants, Sydney

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 44 Reviews

Golden Harbour Restaurant
    by lindyz
    Franks meal - cant remember what it was!
    My meal - fried rice :)

Dixon: Dixon

by cjg1 Updated Oct 22, 2007

Dixon Restaurant is a place we stumbled upon. We were walking up through Chinatown when this place was SO much more crowded than the others and with Asians mostly. So this meant we decided to check out the menu and sit down.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Dixon: Fantastic Chinese

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 23, 2011

Dixon Restaurant

We were leisurely exploring Chinatown when we became a bit hungry and decided to grab some lunch.

We stumbled upon this place and decided to try it as there were plenty of people outside enjoying their meals. They had a really good prixe fix lunch menu and the choices looked quite yummy.

We sat outside and enjoyed some people watching and a few beers during our lunch. The atmosphere was quite nice and relaxing.

Favorite Dish: The prixe fix menu for AUS $12 was a fantastic price. The price included soup and spring rolls with the main course. I had the chicken with cashews and my travel partner had the chicken with vegatables. Rice was also included witht he meal which was served in a steaming rice cooker.

• Beer Tasting

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Chinatown Restaurants: I enjoyed the top quality Yum Cha so much!

by angiebabe Written Oct 11, 2007

Yum Cha/Drink Tea!....Almost all eaten

It is said that the Chinese cuisine, particularly the Yum Cha/Dim Sum are up with the best in the world - ie next to Hong Kong and Guangzhou, that is Southern China where the reputation for fine food has been renowned.

WE ended up at The Marigold which was always one of the well regarded before my 7 years away in Europe and the range and quality of the Dim Sum served to us was still excellent and absolutely enjoyed!
    Its a little more up in price since Ive been away but for the $20 each person our 10 or so selections plus rice and tea came to - about £8 per person - thats great value for money!

Favorite Dish: Prawn dumplings, vegetable dumplings, any dumplings!, bok choy with oyster sauce, and the coconut jelly was still wow! Weve not usually had barbecued pork when having Yum Cha but it was offered and it was a delicious accompaniment as was the Jasmine Tea.

Hingara Chinese Restaurant: One of numerous restaurants in Chinatown

by SWFC_Fan Written Aug 16, 2006

Hingara Chinese Restaurant, Sydney

I ate at Hingara Chinese Restaurant one evening during my visit to Sydney in April 2006.

This restaurant is located on Dixon Street in the heart of Sydney's "Chinatown" in the Haymarket area of the city. It is surrounded by many similar looking restaurants with almost identical menus and similar prices.

Common amongst the restaurants in this area, you will find a waitress standing outside Hingara with a menu attempting to entice customers into the restaurant. These "touts" aren't particularly pushy and I found that a polite "no, thank you" was always enough to ward them off.

The menu consists of the usual selection of Chinese fare. For example, starters include hot and sour soup, chicken and corn soup, prawn toasts, spring rolls and dim sums. The main meals comprise of various stir frys, curries, rice and noodle dishes containing either chicken, beef, pork, lamb, seafood or vegetables.

Unlike many Chinese restaurants that I have visited during my travels, I received no complimentary water or Chinese tea at Hingara, but the staff were friendly and the food was tasty and well-cooked.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Prawn toasts - Cost: 5.50 AUD

Two slices of prawn toast with sesame seeds, cut into 4 triangles and served with sweet and sour sauce.

Fried rice noodles with chicken in black bean sauce - Cost: 10.80 AUD

Tender pieces of chicken with green and red peppers, onions and other vegetables in a tasty black bean sauce. Served with a portion of thick rice noodles. Very tasty and served piping hot.

330ml can of Toohey's New beer - Cost: 5 AUD

One of many similar restaurants in Sydney's Chinatown. Good food at average prices!

Superbowl Chinese Restaurant: Good value Chinese food in Haymarket

by SWFC_Fan Updated Feb 16, 2011

Superbowl Chinese Restaurant, Sydney

I ate at Superbowl Chinese Restaurant one lunchtime during my visit to Sydney in April 2006.

This large Chinese restaurant, which specialises in seafood, is located on Goulburn Street in the "Chinatown" area of Haymarket. There is another branch of Superbowl on nearby Dixon Street.

I didn't scrutinise the menu too closely as I knew that I'd be picking from the special set lunch menu, but the usual array of dishes were to be found there - that is, soups, appetizers, chicken, pork, beef, seafood and vegetarian stir frys and rice and noodle dishes. A typical stir fry will set you back 15+ AUD.

Somewhat more unusually, this restaurant offers a huge selection of fresh fruit juices and health shakes.

The special set lunch menu includes a variety of dishes (circa 20) to choose from and costs just 8.80 AUD. For an additional 1 AUD you can add a fresh fruit juice to your meal.

Favorite Dish: I opted for the special set menu lunch, with a fruit juice:

For 9.80 AUD I got:

Handmade Shanghainese noodles in hot chilli sauce

An enormous plate of thick noodles, pieces of pork, carrots, various green vegetables in a hot (but invisible) chilli sauce. I could only manage to eat half of it such was the size of the portion.

Fried vegetables in oyster sauce

A selection of green leaves and shoots in a salty oyster sauce.

Fresh watermelon juice

Pureed watermelon juice (approx. 250ml) served with ice cubes.

Complimentary pot of Chinese tea

Lots of choice, large portions and an excellent value for money lunch menu!

Red Chilli Sichuan Restaurant: Superb Chinese food in Sydney

by SWFC_Fan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Red Chilli Sichuan Restaurant, Sydney

I ate at Red Chilli Sichuan Restaurant on a couple of occasions during my visit to Sydney in April 2006.

This large Chinese restaurant is located in the heart of Sydney's "Chinatown" district on Little Hay Street and Dixon Street.

The menu offers a large choice of stir frys containing either chicken, beef, pork, seafood or vegetables, but the emphasis is firmly on chilli peppers! The menu displays little chillis to indicate how hot a dish is, so you can choose a dish that best suits your tastes.

Particularly good value is the special lunchtime menu which features a host of dishes for under 10 AUD. I selected my meal from this menu on both occasions that I ate here.

You can find here the special lunchtime menu and view the restaurant's interior here.

The tables are set with tablecloths and napkins and the staff are friendly and attentive. All diners receive a complimentary pot of Chinese tea.

Favorite Dish: On both occasions that I dined here I opted for:

Kung Pao Chicken with Roasted Peanuts and Chillis - Cost: 8.80 AUD

This dish started with a complimentary bowl of soup (containing tofu, chillis and spring onion).

The main course was a large stir fry with tender pieces of good quality chicken and a hot sauce containing fiery red chillis, roasted peanuts and a selection of vegetables. The meal was served with a bucket sized bowl of white steamed rice, more than enough for half a dozen people, let alone just one! Excellent quality, and excellent value for money! The main course alone would have cost me 12.80 AUD outside of the special lunch hours.

Can of Fanta orange juice - Cost: 3 AUD

Excellent value lunchtime meals, superb quality food. Highly recommended!!

Nine Dragons Restaurant: Outdoor dining in Chinatown

by SWFC_Fan Written Aug 17, 2006

Nine Dragons Restaurant, Sydney

I ate at Nine Dragons Chinese Restaurant one evening during my visit to Sydney in April 2006.

This restaurant is located on Dixon Street, right in the heart of Sydney's busy "Chinatown" district. You can sit at one of the numerous outdoor tables and watch the flurry of activity pass you by. Alternatively, you can eat in the restaurant's spacious interior. It was a warm night, so I chose to eat outside.

The extensive menu includes soups, appetizers, pork, chicken, lamb, beef, seafood and vegetarian stir frys and curries, rice and noodle dishes (such as chow mein and Singapore noodles).

There is also a special menu (costing just 15 AUD per person), which includes a soup, a choice of main dish (from a selection of various stir frys and curries) and a choice of either fried rice or noodles. Unfortunately, this offer only applies if there are at least 2 people eating, and I was dining alone.

The staff were rushed off their feet with it being a popular restaurant, but the service wasn't unduly slow in the circumstances.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Stir fried chicken with rice noodles - Cost: 12 AUD

Tender pieces of chicken in a stir fry sauce with carrots, mushrooms, brocolli and green leaves. Served with a large portion of thick rice noodles.

425ml Victoria Bitter - Cost: 4.80 AUD

Average Chinese food at average prices in the very heart of Sydney's Chinatown.

Musashi: Excellent Sushi

by cjg1 Updated Apr 19, 2012

Liz waiting for her meal (November 2010)

Mushashi is a place I first visited many years back with my friends Helen and Doug. During our November 2010 trip we decided to have a nice dinner here with our friends Helen and Jackie. We recently returned here for a dinner meetup with Helen.

This place is busy and right in the center of Chinatown. The food here is incredible and everyone knows it; so make a booking for a table. We had a booking for 6pm and Helen was already seated and waiting for us(a bit of rain delayed us).

After perusing the menu; which is so hard to do since everything looks amazing we all decided on our main dishes. I went with my favorite; eel rolls, Liz had her California rolls, Helen ordered a large combination sushi platter. Helen's plate was incredible...there were tons of food on it. I was so surprised that such a tiny girl could eat the whole lot. Wow...Helen! I was very pleased with my meal; the food was just as amazing as I had remembered and so fresh.

The only downside to this restaurant is that it gets jam packed and very busy; getting a check or a waitress can be difficult.

Favorite Dish: Love the eel rolls; very fresh and delicious.

• aussiejen's Profile Photo

Chinatown Restaurants: CHINATOWN

by aussiejen Written Apr 22, 2006

OUTDOOR DINING

Wander along Plaza Street in the evening and you will soon find somewhere to eat. Most of the restaurants have tables outside and are actively looking for your business.
    They mainly offered the same deal...$15 each for an entree and a main course. The one that got our custom offered us a glass of wine included in the price.......did I really look like I needed a drink??
    Food was ok, but nothing to rave over.
    I guess the atmosphere is in sitting outside watching all the other passers by being hit on by the young asian ladies touting for their restaurant.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Mushashi: Dinner with Friends

by LadyRVG Updated May 14, 2012

Fresh, delicious sushi!

Mushashi is a restaurant my husband is very familiar with; having come here many times before so I knew I would have a good meal. We decided to meet some friends here for dinner after a day of wandering Sydney. This place is very popular so a booking is a definite must if you don't want a long wait. We had reservations for 7pm and had no problem being seated immediately. Shortly after being seated Jackie arrived followed by Helen.

The menu has a large selection of sushi and sashimi to choose from along with tasty appetizers, drinks and beer. We started with some edamame for the table and we perused the menu for our main courses. I don't remember what Jackie and Helen orderd but I had the California Rolls while Chris had some Eel along with a Saporo. The food here is very good and fresh. I loved my rolls and my husband was very happy with his eel.

The only bad thing about this restaurant is trying to get the check... The servers are so busy that you literally have to pin them down for it.

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Marigold: One of my favorites....

by LadyRVG Updated May 11, 2012

Spring Rolls

Marigold is one of my favorite "things to do" now when in Sydney. Hubby and I first came here in 2010 with our friend Jackie and fell in love with the place. I say it's a "thing to do" because to eat here is an experience. The place is jam packed with patrons hungry for the delicious food carts that circle around the tables in the dining room.

Basically, you are seated and given a card. As food carts make their rounds you select what you want and the server punhces you card to indicate what you had and the price. It's food Bingo...lol. The carts have everything you could imagine from chicken, beef, pork, seafood, veggies and desserts. Everything looks so good and tastes even better.

We've eaten here twice so far; in 2010 with Jackie and again in 2012 with Jackie and our friend Gavin before we went off to cricket. The food here is incredibly fresh and wonderful to eat. I'd have to say my favorite here are the salt and pepper soft shell crab, the steamed brocolli, salt & pepper squid and the mango pudding. Just writing about it is making me hungry....

So if you are in Sydney, head over to Chinatown and enjoy some food at Marigold; you will be happy you did.

**Get there early on the weekend around 10am to ensure you get a table and don't have a long wait.**

Favorite Dish: The salt and pepper soft shell crab is definitely my favorite hands down. I love the crisp, salty shell and the delicious sweet crab meat inside.

The mango pudding is a must have when I come here. I am a huge fan of anything that contains mango and this is delicious. The pudding is creamy smooth and is topped with a light, silky cream. I could eat my weight in Mango pudding if someone would let me.

• UKDaisy's Profile Photo

Golden Century Seafood Restaurant: Golden Century - Yummy Fresh Seafood!!!

by UKDaisy Updated Feb 25, 2007

The live King Crabs on display in the fishtanks

This is probably the busiest Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. There always seems to be huge queues at the door, which you don't see at any of the neighbouring restaurants. We decided to try out this restaurant, there were 13 of us, so we phoned for a reservation. We were told the earliest table would be at 9.30pm. A bit late for dinner for us, but nevertheless, we went ahead with the booking. When we got to the restaurant we had to fight our way through the crowds at the door to let the receptionist know we had arrived for our booking. Unfortunately, their booking system doesn't mean that having booked a table for 9.30pm guarantees a table for that time, so we ended up waiting an hour before we got our table. But it was well worth the wait! The seafood was fresh, they will bring over the live seafood to your table, before they cook your it, informing you of the weight of the seafood that you'll be paying for. There is a large variety of seafood to choose from, all visible from the fishtanks located at the front of the restaurant. We really wanted to try the King Crabs, they looked huge, but they worked out very pricey, so we settled for snow and mud crabs instead. One of the crab dishes we had was cooked in a salt and pepper batter - that was my favourite! I can understand now why there are always queues for this place!

Favorite Dish: Me and hubby went back to this restaurant again, just the 2 of us this time, a few days later. We went past at 8pm, and as usual, there were huge queues, so we opted to see a film first, then went back at 11pm where the queues had disappeared and we got our table as soon as we arrived. This time, we decided to try the Australian lobster, sharing a 1.1kg lobster cooked in spring onion and ginger sauce with a noodle base and we also had one baby abalone each. The lobster was lovely! The flesh was very succulent, much nicer than the lobsters we have back in the UK. Even though it worked out quite expensive, it was a good experience!

I definitely recommend this restaurant, but as you've probably gathered, either be very patient to get a table or avoid the peak eating hours (the retaurant is open up until 4am in the morning!!!).

• Business Travel
    • Work Abroad

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

iTaiwan: - iTaiwan - fight with a computer for your meal

by sirgaw Written Oct 17, 2009

Wandering along Dixon Street we were accosted by a number of restaurant touts trying to lure us into their eatery. Then we walked past a restaurant with a modern façade, bright lights and stylish looking staff all dressed in their black tea shirts with the restaurants name - and no pesky touts. OK we were hooked, so wandered in.

The normal menu was replaced by touch screen computer terminals on each table, so we craned our aging necks and sifted through the selection. We chose 3 entrees and one main course between us as well as a cold drink each.

The list on the computer screen seemed to indicate our order was in progress judging by the little image of a chef busy at work cooking up the order and before we really had a chance to think what we would order next, the first of our 4 orders was on the table - talk about fast, friendly and efficient service! We were still trying to figure out how to get the bill when it came along. Perhaps the computer knew that we had finished and wanted to leave.

A drink each, and the 4 plates we ordered came to $35 – great value

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Golden Harbour Restaurant: Great Value in Chinatown

by lindyz Updated May 15, 2011

Outside seating area of Golden Harbour Restaurant

We just took a stroll through Chinatown for dinner on Saturday night and decided on this place called the Golden Harbour Restaurant, the prices looked decent and the lady out the front said they offered a money-back guarantee on their meals!!!!

Sue and I both had a chicken dish with boiled rice, plus I had a cocktail and Sue had a small bottle of Champagne and the bill came to just under $50, which for central Sydney, is quite good value. Meals were about $15 each, rice was $2 each and my drinks were about $8 each. It was rather funny though when I decided to order a cocktail and my failing memory meant I did know know what was in them and I asked the waiter and he did not know either. So he then ran off to get a list from the bar and came back with this rather ancient list that was very difficult to understand!!! I cant remember what I ordered, but it was nice, it had vodka, lemonade and blue curacao in it.

This Restaurant was also the venue for our Sydney meet in May. Having looked at many BYO places in Dixon Street, Golden Harbour was chosen, having the $25 each per person banquet meal. There ended up being 16 of us at the meal, the food was delicious and quickly served and I think there was enough for all of us. Cant remember exactly what the dishes were, fried rice, a prawn and vegie dish, sweet and sour pork I think, a beef dish and a few others.

Favorite Dish: My dish was Chicken with chinese mushrooms, and it was delicious, apart from the large chunks of ginger I discovered (I hate ginger!)

The food was soooooo quick to arrive ... I swear it was at our table within 3 minutes of ordering it!!!

Marigold: Yum Cha

by cjg1 Updated Dec 11, 2013

Marigold is a popular place in the heart of Chinatown. Our first time here was during a visit in 2010. Our friend Jackie loves this place and decided to take us here for a farewell lunch. We arrived early at 10:30am since we were told the place gets jammed by 11am with a long wait for a table. We arrived to an already packed restaurant but with tables available. We were seated at a nice round table and not too far from the kitchen (which turned out to be a good thing since the food carts hit out table first).

The deal here is that you can order off the menu or pick dishes off of rolling carts that pass by your table. When you select a dish you table card is stamped to indicate what you chose and is tallied up later for your bill. Since we were so close to the kitchen we had first crack at the carts of steaming hot food rolling out. There is so much to choose from: noodles, wontons, dumplings, chicken, pork, soups, desserts, sticky rice, seafood, vegetables....it gets rather hard to decide.

We chose a variety of items from pork stuffed dumplings, fried tofu, spring rolls, seafood dumplings, noodles and veggies, meatballs, broccoli with soy sauce and a few others that escape my memory. This wasn’t just a meal; it was an experience and an adventure. I loved the food and the craziness of all the hungry patrons.

We recently returned in 2012 to the same delcicious food in a bustle of activity. We enjoyed a good lunch here before heading of to the Wine Festival and some Cricket.

Favorite Dish: There wasn't a thing I didn't love. In particular I love the pork buns, the salt and peper soft shell crab and the slimey noodles.

My wife adores their Mango pudding. I'm not a mango fan so she can keep it all for herself.

Instant Answers: Sydney