Coogee Restaurants, Sydney

• Coogee Restaurants
  • Coogee Restaurants

Moo Gourmet Burger: Not the Best Burger

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 25, 2012

My husband suggested we try this place after reading a food blog regarding their burgers. Moo Burger is a chain but I never let that influence my choice since there are some very good chain places in the world and I am far from a food snob. After doing the Coastal Walk from Bondi to Coogee we decided to meet up with our friend Jackie here for a late lunch.

We entered the tiny place which despite its size was well laid out with picnic table seating. We grabbed a seat and began to peruse the menu. As the name of the restuarant implies; it is all about the burgers here but they do have other options other than red meat. They also have a variety of fries and shakes. I decided that the classic Cheeseburger and a Vanilla Shake was the perfect lunch for me. Hubby chose the Falafel Burger with a chocolate shake. Jackie went with the Wagyu Beef Burger and chips.

After ordering our food took less than ten minutes to arrive. The burgers were a large size as well as the milkshakes. Jackie's fries were a mega portion; three people could share it. I wasn't thrilled with my burger. It looked good but just didn't taste right or like any beef I am accustomed to in a burger and I have had burgers in Australia before. I was so unsure I got the right burger I even asked the waitress who looked puzzled when I inquired but she assured me it was correct. Needless to say; I didn't eat much of it. I found the milkshake to be rather thin; the taste was good but way to thin for me to consider it a proper milkshake.

I was quite surprised though that my husband chose to order a non-beef burger. He was thrilled with his Falafel Burger. His milkshake was also a little thin for him but he still enjoyed it. Jackie said her burger was good and we all enjoyed her fries.

For me, I was a bit dissapointed but everyone else enjoyed their lunch.

Cheeseburger Jackie and her Burger Chris's Milkshake The Thin Milkshake Falafel Burger

Coogee Bite: Yummy Breakfast by the Beach

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 24, 2012

The Coogee Bite is a local place by Coogee Beach that our friend Jackie recommended we try. We decided to come here for breakfast before heading out to explore Botany Bay.

As expected the place was jam packed with full tables spilling out onto the sidewalk. Timing though was in our favor as a table opened up about five minutes after we arrived. We sat down and began to sort through the menu. They had the typical breakfast fare; eggs, pastry, toast, pancakes, bacon,etc.

I wasn't super hungrey so I went with some sourdough toast with peanut butter and a mango, strawberry fruit smoothie. Chris wanted the Bananas Foster pancakes as soon as he saw it on the menu. Jackie chose an egg white omlette with veggies. Food arrived very quickly and I had already begun to zone out on the beautiful beach view.

I enjoyed my toast; as I love sourdough bread especially when it is made right. The penut butter was very good and actually tasted better than most I have had previously. My Strawberry Mango smoothie was just so good; that was slurped down very quickly. Chris loved his pancakes...the plate was cleaned completely.

I can totally understand the popularity of this place; good food, good service and one hell of a beach view. Thanks to Jackie for showing us another gem of a place!!!!!

Hubby eagerly awaiting breakfast Brekkie!!! My toast and penut butter Bananas Foster Pancakes

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

La Spiaggia: Not the best pizza.....

by LadyRVG Written Jul 18, 2012

We had just arrived that morning and spent a long day at the NSW Wine Festival before heading to Coogee. We were both exhausted and starving; so we decided to find something on the main road to eat.

We came upon La Spiaggia and the sign for brick oven pizza drew us in. The large crowd of diners made me fell hopeful that we'd find a good meal here. After a wait of five minutes we were seated at a table near the restaurant bar. The place was very small; I felt as if I was a sardine packed in a can. After perusing the menu; Chris and I decided to share one of their Margherita pizzas. The pizzas coming out of the kitchen looked to be the perfect size for two people to share and looked appetizing enough.

Our pizza arrived rather quickly and was bubbling hot. So far so good. Here comes the dissapointment. The sauce tasted as if it came out of a tin can. It almost had a tomato paste taste to it. The crust was good and the mozzarella was creamy but the sauce ruined it for me. If it wasn't for sheer hunger I would have left it untouched on my plate.

This is definitely not the item to order here for sure. Maybe I should have tried the pasta instead.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

La Spiaggia: Okay Pizza

by cjg1 Updated Mar 12, 2012

Our first night in Coogee we were starving on the way back to Jackie's. We decided to try this place after seeing their sign procalim "Brick Oven Pizza". I thought, "Yum, I could go for that."

We walked inside and were told it would be about five minutes for a table; so we waited at their small bar. The place was very cramped and it was packed to the gills. The wait went by quickly and we were shown to our table. We perused the extensive menu of pizzas, pasta, sandwiches and mains before decided on their Margherita pizza. Judging by the tables around us; we decided one pizza was big enough to share.

The pizza arrived about fifteen minutes later bubbling hot with gooey cheese. It looked good but looks can be decieving in this case. The crust was good, the cheese was good but the sauce tasted as if it was out of a can. Despite the sauce we ate it up; we were starved.

Was it good; I'd say it was okay. Would I eat here again probably not pizza but I'd be willing to try their pasta.

Margherita Pizza

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Coogee Bite: Breakfast by the Beach

by cjg1 Updated Jun 23, 2011

Liz and I had breakfast here with Jackie before heading out to explore Botany Bay. This place is a favorite with Jackie and I was eager to try it out from her reviews. The place is small with limited seating indoor and outside. We arrived to it being jam packed but after a five minute wait a table cleared out and we snagged it.

The menu here has a variety of breakfast items from eggs, pancakes, French toast, sandwiches, pastry, cereals and fruit. I was hungry and the pancakes with bananas called to me. Jackie ordered some eggs and toast. My wife wasn't too hungry and decided to have sourdough toast with peanut butter and a strawberry mango smoothie.

I love my pancakes; they were so fluffy and the banana was deliciously caramelized on top. Liz loved her smoothie and drank it up rather quickly. I can see why this place is so busy; the food is great and the beach view is amazing.

Banana Pancakes

• Mineeo's Profile Photo

Tum Thai (Randwick): Excellent Thai Food!

by Mineeo Updated Apr 4, 2011

Small restaurant with basic decor, but the authentic exquisite ample sized food more than makes up for it! A good meal will set you back between $10 and $12 Australian. Alcohol is not served here at all just free water and a limited selection of soft drinks.
    If you like Thai food this is one place you will come back to again and again.......

Favorite Dish: Chicken Satay with peanut sauce and Pad Thai.

• Singles

• SmilingTraveller's Profile Photo

Barzura Cafe-Ristorante: A Coogee Institution

by SmilingTraveller Updated Jan 26, 2006

Barzura has been a favourite with the locals since 1994. Offering both indoor and outdoor dinning, this restaurant has a casual feel and is buzzing from breakfast until well into the night. Situated at the south end of Coogee Beach, Barzura offers uninterupted views across the beach.

Breakfast is served from 7am to 1pm so there is no need to get up too early to enjoy your favourite breakkie foods.

If you are not feeling too hungry, but would still like to enjoy a delicious snack, Barzura serves up Barzura Bites from 7am to 7pm.

For lunch and dinner you can select from the menu or from the Specials Board which is updated each Thursday fortnight. Three courses will average around A$50.00 p/p.

Barzura is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee and cocktails from 7am, 7 days a week. Fully licensed or BYO wine.

Favorite Dish: At breakfast don't miss the Cornfritters with bacon, tomato and advocado - A$12.50.

For a lunchtime treat I have not found a better Nasi Goreng anywhere else in Sydney - A$15.50.

Two delicious choices for dinner are the Grilled Kangaroo Rump with redcurrent jus - A$21.50 (remember, Kangaroo is best eaten rare) and the Seared Salmon Fillet with braised fennel - A$24.00.

Barzura, Coogee

• Holgs_in_Syd's Profile Photo

Coogee Five-Os: Coogee Five-Os

by Holgs_in_Syd Written Jan 10, 2006

Five-Os is a cheap bar/restaurant in Coogee, just upstairs from Macdonalds on the main street. It offers a selection of meals that are just $5 each, including steak, chicken, fish and chips. The only catch is that you have to also buy a drink... hmm beer no real down side ;)

Five-O's is across the road from the beach - and has some seats that have a great view.

Favorite Dish: Steak... $5...and beer... what's not to like? Could go there all the time and never cook!

Photo of actual steak served at Five-O's Photo of actual beer served at Five-O's - Cold :)

Instant Answers: Sydney