Doyle's Restaurant, Sydney

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Doyle's Restaurant: Harbour View at its Finest

by ATXtraveler Written May 7, 2005

Mark and Sarah infront of the Sydney Opera House

When Sarah and I began our adventure throughout Sydney, we had to start out with a little nutrition. Directly off the Circular Quay to the Western side was a wonderful little walk toward the Rocks. During this trip, we saw many restaurants that were located at the International Ship pier, and decided to sit in the first outdoor cafe we could find. The winner in the Mark and Sarah lunch lottery was a wonderful spot called Doyle's. Later we found out that Doyle's is actually quite famous. Although its fame did not draw us to the restaurant, its view of the Sydney Opera house did the trick! We were able to get the corner furthest away from the restaurant, with a perfect view!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my king prawn and avocado salad. The avocados in Sydney are second only to the Southern California avocados I grew up on, but were absolutely delicious! Sarah also had a really good scallop and cheese dish, that I ended up stealing a couple!

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Doyle's Restaurant: Great lunch AND a great view! Wow!

by saraheg77 Updated Sep 21, 2005

Sarah & Mark at Doyle's

We were seated at the best table in the house! It was outside under an umbrella and had the best view of the Opera House. It was a little windy, but the salt & pepper shakers and heavy tablecloth made it easy to manage.

There was a wide variety of salads and seafood dishes. Mark had a salad with avocado and prawns that was very tasty.

The prices were a bit high, but when you factor in the view, that made it worth it! A great stop for lunch or dinner!

While browsing their website, I discovered this was one of their three locations. There is a Beach location, Wharf location & Quay location. We visited the Quay location. Check out their website for their entire menu!

Favorite Dish: I had the Tasmanian Scallops Mornay for $18.80 - grilled on the half shell with a mornay sauce and tasty cheese. I did enjoy the scallops, but part of the price was for the great view! We were too full for dessert, but it looked like there was a great selection of yummy desserts!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Doyle's Restaurant: Decadence by the water

by iandsmith Updated Sep 29, 2007

.....and loving it

This is where I got religion. I'm now a practicising decadent. Of course, you have to have money for this and, though I'm a long way from being loaded as they say, I don't mind the occasional indulgence.
    Doyle's is unquestionably Australia's best known restaurant. Others may try and lay claim but, when you've got 122 years of history behind you (as at the time of writing) and you're still going strong, it's a safe bet that you're doing something right.
    That something is seafood. Nestled beside a protected beach in the inner harbour of Sydney, people would come here for the views alone, so the food is almost a bonus. But, what a bonus. This is seafood as it was meant to be served up. I'm salivating as I write just thinking about my mixed meal of scallops, prawns, salmon and fish fillets while casting glances across at Rosemarie's choice of John Dory, one of the finer eating fish found in Australian waters.
    They have an extensive quality wine list to go with the food so connoiseurs will be well catered for in that department also.
    Cheap is not a word used here so you can expect around $35 to $40 per main but I would have no qualms about returning.
    As a bonus, you get a ferry trip across the harbour to get there. On a warm spring day, life doesn't get any better.

Favorite Dish: I can honestly say that just about anything you order will have you drooling though I will lean on this occasion to the John Dory fillets that Rosemarie had and I shared. Fish as it was meant to be served.

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Doyle's Restaurant: The most spectacular setting

by MikeAtSea Written Jan 11, 2005

Doyles Restaurant with view to the Opera

If you like a luxury night out in one of the most spectacular settings there is on earth - this is the restaurant to go to.
    It is located at the end of the Overseas Passenger Ship Terminal with view to both the Sydney Opera and Harbour Bridge. Reserve a table right at the end on the terrace - the view is unbelievable.

Favorite Dish: I tried the oysters and a Cajun spiced fish - both was sensational!

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Doyle's Restaurant: The oldest seafood restaurant in Sydney!

by MikeAtSea Written Jan 11, 2005

Doyles at Watsons Bay

This is the oldest seafood restaurant in Sydney which started in 1885. Its spectacular setting right next to Watsons Beach & Bay offers a great panorama of the Sydney Harbour.

Favorite Dish: Doyles speciality - seafood - afterall they have had since 1885 to make it to perfection!

• SmilingTraveller's Profile Photo

Doyle's On The Beach: When in Sydney - A Must to Visit at Least Once

by SmilingTraveller Updated Oct 16, 2004

Doyle's On The Beach

This is the site where Doyle's opened their first seafood restaurant in 1885. Ever since, it has been family owned and operated for over 5 generations.

With both indoor and outdoor dining, located right on the foreshore of Watsons Bay with the waves lapping the shore as you overlook Sydney Harbour, it is a true experience to dine there for either lunch or dinner.

Doyle's is fully licensed and offers a great range of fresh seafood and is open 7 days a week. Parking is available.

Entrees average around A$17.00, with Mains averaging A$35.00 and Dessert A$8.80.

Favorite Dish: I always enjoy the fresh seafood, especially the Sydney Rock Oysters and King Prawns. The simple things in life are often the best.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Doyle's restaurant: Harbour, Bridge, Opera House.

by colin_bramso Updated Sep 10, 2011

Stunning views!

Doyles is a famous seafood restaurant, originally only at Watsons Bay, now also at the harbour and at the fish market in Sydney. Dine outside (or inside with picture windows), the view is sensational. I find the food a little 'formula', but it's excellent all the same. Sitting right beside the Harbour Bridge with the Opera House just across the water, it's a true Sydney experience.

As with all Australian restaurants, smoking is only allowed outside.

Favorite Dish: The Seafood Platter to start (including king prawns, oysters, smoked salmon, calamari) takes some beating. Barramundi (a beautiful northern Australian fish) with a Cajun crust is excellent too.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

Doyles on the Beach: Fish and chips

by IrishFem Written Nov 10, 2009

Kids swimming in the harbour

I have heard about Doyles on the beach and really wanted to try it out. I got the opportunity whilst visiting Sydney and spent the day exploring the beaches nearby and Doyles for fish and chips. I must say l was not disappointed. I loved sitting outside sipping a glass of wine and watching the world go by. It was a wonderful experience and one l would love to do again. The picture that goes with this tip is a few kids jumping off the harbour and swimming back to shore. The restaurant itself has a wide variety of seafood on the menu, and if you did not want to eat in the restaurant they have a take away just yards away where you can order different types of fish and eat them in the covered area with tables and chairs and watch the world go by without having the expense of paying the prices in the restaurant. Great if you have a family with you.

Favorite Dish: No doubt fish and chips.

• CandS's Profile Photo

Doyle's Restaurant: Seafood

by CandS Written Apr 18, 2004

We went to Doyles - Sydney's most famous seafood restaurant - hoping to eat in the pub section (which is cheaper)...instead we ate at the restaurant because the pub was full. It was a good experience but probably something we wouldn't do again...

Favorite Dish: Well, I had Fish & Chips...and for $30 I expected a lot better... ;)

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Doyles at Quay: Good but very overpriced now !!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 23, 2010

what a view but very pricey

I must say Doyles has a great location at the Quay but the prices have literally gone thru the roof for such a place. The food and service were good but nothing to warrant the prices they are charging now !!! $36 AU for fish and chips, don't get me wrong the fish they use is great but 2 small portions for $36 AU !!!! just a bit pricey !!!!! come here and have a glass of wine....or you'll see the sticker shock I saw !!!!!!

• SierraSydney's Profile Photo

Doyle's Restaurant: Doyles @ Watsons Bay. Fresh Seafood by the Harbour

by SierraSydney Written Jan 11, 2005

The view from Doyle's Restaurant

Fish and Chips at Doyle's on a sunny Sunday at Watson's Bay...

Drive from the CBD following Old South Head Road...pass the boats and seaplanes in Rushcutters Bay, up to the heads where you will pass the Lighthouse and some fantastic harbour and Ocean Views.....pass the infamous 'Gap' area and then Doyle's Restaurant is located at 11 Marine Parade, Watson's Bay.

Favorite Dish: Lamb chops with Fries.

• jackiehob's Profile Photo

Doyle's restaurant.: Sydney's Best Restaurant

by jackiehob Updated Apr 4, 2011

Watsons Bay

Lovely waterfront setting, best seafood in Sydney.

Casual attire, can be "dressed up" for evenings.

Make a booking it is always busy.

Favorite Dish: Quiet simply you have never tasted seafood until you have eaten it in Sydney.

Sydney Rock Oysters
    Ocean Prawns
    DOYLES FAMOUS FISH & CHIPs
    Wonderful!

• pugwashman's Profile Photo

Doyle's Restaurant: A deserved reputation

by pugwashman Updated Nov 29, 2004

Doyles restaurant & Circular Quay

We had been told this was the where we could get the best Fish & Chips in the world, so we thought we'd treat ourselves after climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Although it cost more than your average Fish n Chips, it was well worth every penny. It tasted so fresh, and the setting itself is exquisite as you look across to the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Excellent service and excellent food.

Favorite Dish: We had Fish & Chips, which were excellent, but the dishes being served up on everyone elses tables looked scrumptious too.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Doyle's restaurant.: Doyle's restaurant.

by b1bob Updated Aug 6, 2003

Doyle's by night

We were off to Doyle's at Watson's Bay (a world-famous Sydney seafood restaurant, which even appeared on a Visa commercial, and one I highly recommend you splurge for when you visit Sydney). We went there round about 7.00 by courtesy van to return by taxi. I took the lobster Mornay with baked potato and salad. Some people took a seafood soup with everything including squid (not bad, but also not outstanding). They all laughed at me when I ate an olive without minding the pit. From our table, you could see the whole of the Sydney Harbour and the city lit up at night. The cuisine de Doyle's was right good, but I still prefer the seafood at The Fisherman's Wharf in Wanchese, (Roanoke Island) North Carolina. (Unlike the aforesaid lady from Omaha, I tried the seafood at Doyle's before saying it was better in Wanchese.)

Favorite Dish: Lobster mornay which is lobster covered by some sort of cream sauce with leeks. That is some kind of good, friends and neighbours. The food was good (though not the best I've had), the service was above average, and the view of Sydney at night was priceless. If I had a better camera, I would have snapped that too.

• dennyandconnie's Profile Photo

Doyle's Restaurant: Eat at the Doyle's at Watson's Bay

by dennyandconnie Written Jan 11, 2005

Although the decor is not as fancy, the food was great and quite a bit cheaper. Watson's Bay is a wealthy suburb and the trip is great either by ferry or on the BondiExplorer bus. The view of the city from our table was worth the trip alone.

Although the menu is extensive, both times we ate there we split 3 entrees- plenty of food with a bottle of wine.

The seafood was very fresh and creatively prepared.

Favorite Dish: Our favorites were the salt and pepper calamari, shrimp in ginger and honey sauce and the grilled baby octopus served with sweet chili sauce.

Instant Answers: Sydney