Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies, Sydney

The Original Harry's
    Enjoying My Harry's Dog
    Chris munching his Curry Pie
  • SierraSydney's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: Cafe De Wheels - the Hot Dog icon of the X.

by SierraSydney Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Caravan.

Quick, cheap and easy.... ;)

Harry De Wheels, started out as a simple caravan cafe during the years of the depression and has developed into somewhat of a Sydney Icon.

After a big night out, nothing feels better than a hot dog from Harrys ;)

The caravan is covered in photos of various celebs that have stopped by for a famous harry hot dog or pie ;)

Favorite Dish: Hot Dogs

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels: The Original Harry's

by LadyRVG Updated Jul 21, 2009

Enjoying My Harry's Dog

Harry's is a Sydney instituition just like Nathan's is to Coney Island. Harry's is basically a snack/quick food shack. The menu had a variety of easy to eat items. We had passed by Harry's numerous times while walking back to our hotel and finally decided to stop by for a snack. There was a line but we barely waited 10 minutes. Chris decided on a curry pie and I ordered a hot dog. The food was pretty good and I felt satisfied.

Favorite Dish: The hot dog was very good and I liked the spicey mustard.

• Singles

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: The Original

by cjg1 Updated Oct 25, 2007

Harry’s is a Sydney institution. I have seen others around the city but this trip I found myself passing the original nearly every day on the bus back to the hotel. So we stopped and got off to get a pie for a snack.

You will always find that there is a crowd here. We even had people waiting behind us while I decided quickly what I was going to eat. The do quite a bit of business and are worth the visit at least once. They’re an attraction for a reason.

Favorite Dish: I had the curry pie and she the hot dog. I was pretty impressed in the curry pie and do wish I had bothered to stop and get another during the week but with so many better food options just up the stairs in Potts Point we never did.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels: Great pies by Wooloomooloo Bay

by SWFC_Fan Written Aug 16, 2006

Harry's Cafe de Wheels

I ate at Harry's Cafe de Wheels one lunchtime during my visit to Sydney in April 2006.

This pie cart has been operating since 1945 and can be found next to Finger Wharf, Wooloomooloo Bay. Pick up a snack and sit at one of the benches looking out across the wharf!

Harry's speciality is pies...with all manner of fillings!!....but you can also choose from hotdogs, burgers, pasties and a variety of other fast food snacks.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

"Curry Tiger" pie - Cost: 4.95 AUD

A beef and curry pie topped with mashed potato, mushy peas and gravy. Mmmmmmm!!

600ml bottle of Coca Cola - Cost: 2.70 AUD

A wide variety of cheap fast food snacks with great views over Wooloomooloo Bay!

• backpackerbaby's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: Super yummy meat pies!

by backpackerbaby Written Jun 10, 2006

Left: Chili con Carne; Right: Curry Tiger.

Due to its reputation, "eating a Harry's meat pie" was on my list. I even marked its location on my map before leaving HK. There's nothing much to do at night in Sydney if you're not into partying/clubbing/pubbing. I suggested taking a late dinner at Harry's to my new friends - 4 medical students from HKCU that I met in my hostel. HK people like eating and I was glad that there's no exception for doctors! It's a real long walk from Darling Harbour to Harry's, we used like 30 minutes (or more?). The vicinity of Harry's was very quiet at night, which made us (4 girls and 1 boy) a bit nervous. I was so worried that Harry's would have closed (it's after 10p.m., pretty late in Australia), luckily it's not the case. We were very satisfied by the meat pies, which were very filling and too big as a late night snack.
    They're so yummy! Another important point to note is that Harry's is famous among locals. We were the only group of non-locals when we arrived. I was so happy to see so many people there at night.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a Curry Tiger (AUD4.7), Vincent ordered a Chili con Carne (AUD4.9) and Doris/Nicole ordered the simplest one (forgot the name).

My Curry Tiger was very tasty, though the curry wasn't spicy at all, i guessed it's Japanese curry, not my favourite. There was a big mass of mashed peas on the top of my pie and the whole pie was filled with meat. I was so full after eating.

Vincent's Chili con Carne was wonderful too.

Bonus of the night: saw a handsome Japanese Harry's staff!!!

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafè du Wheels: The best pie in town

by dlandt Updated Nov 22, 2005

The Caf�� de Wheels

My thanks to VT member M0B1US, whose tip inspired me to go here.

This pie cart is a great experience. You can wander around and eat while looking at the Australian navy ships, interact with people, and spend less than A$10 for dinner. There is something about the very real sights and smells of the wharf that make this special. Some say the superstars eat there. I don't know, but Russell Crowe's condo is at the end of the adjacent pier. The cart isn't in Sydney proper, rather Wooloomooloo.

Favorite Dish: The Tiger, a meat pie topped with mashed potatoes and mashed peas, then hollowed and filled with gravy. Pasties are good too.

• aserafica's Profile Photo

Meat or Vego...: Budget Eating in Sydney

by aserafica Updated Nov 15, 2005

If you're after a good vegetarian restaurant, try (don't laugth) the Govinda's theatre/restaurant in Darlinghurst Road. You get a buffet food plus youcan also buy a meal and movie package. This is a well kept Sydney secret. if you're down on the budget and still want a bit of movie plus food , this is unbeatable. Cushions style seating in the cinema. If you are a Carnovore like me, Harry's Cafe De Wheels can't be beat. The Harbour View is free.

Favorite Dish: Its all you can eat at tGovindas( Krishna). Shepherds Pie at the Harry's Cafe De Wheels.

• divaboodoo's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: Must Haves

by divaboodoo Written Aug 22, 2005

Harrys Cafe De Wheels

Harry's Cafe De Wheels is well known and famous for there pies. They are located in Wooloomooloo. Its a great location... usually people go there after a big night out.... in the early hours of the morning.

Great atmosphere..

Favorite Dish: Pies ...... anything you could imagine...they have it.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Woolloomooloo Restaurants: Harry's Cafe de Wheels. Get yourself a pie.

by 850prc Updated Jul 23, 2005

Harry's Cafe de Wheels...doing pies since 1945

Harry's Cafe de Wheels in Wooloomooloo is a Sydney institution. The diner is now in a fixed location, but apparently years ago it WAS on wheels. The owner would wheel it into place each day down by the harbor. His mission in life in those days was to serve up hot Aussie meat pies for hungry sailors, and anyone else who had a hankering for cheap and filling food.

And, since 1945, Harry's Cafe de Wheels has pretty much been doing just that. Eighteen hours a day, they're there cooking up a variety of tasty meat and vegetable pies, all going for about A$4 each, tops. One item on the menu is a "pastie", which some will claim is the national dish of Australia. It's a concoction of mushy green peas and potatoes wrapped in a flaky crust. It's better than it sounds, actually. But in truth, I prefer the ones with meat.....I'm such a carnivore.

There are many places in Australia to find yourself a "pie". And if you're like me, you'll probably have several while you're Down Under. But, EVERYONE in Potts Point insisted that going to Harry's was akin to a takeaway eating religion. And, after seeing and enjoying the Cafe de Wheels, I'd kind of agree.

I'm not a churchy type of guy, but I can dig this sort of pastry pilgrammage. : )

Favorite Dish: The pies, mate. I like the ones with meat and potatoes....and maybe a few veggies, too.

• AmazingAdventures's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Hotdogs & Pies: Hangin with Harry at Wooloomooloo

by AmazingAdventures Updated May 17, 2005

Harry's Cafe de Wheels (Sydney hotdog joint)

Okay, I used to eat hot dogs as a kid, but kinda gave them up aside from the occasional summer picnic. And then came Harry.

I'd heard about these famous hot dogs, but to taste one was a new adventure in eating.

First you have a hot dog bun, put some mashed potatoes, then mashed peas (no, really!) then the hot dog. Add some gravy and or tomato sauce (that's Australian for ketchup) and you are good to go.

This iconic landmark is at the end of Wooloomooloo Pier, easily reachable and recognizable. There's always a crowd of people at this 24 hour eatery, which must say something in itself!

There are photos of famous faces eating at Harry's adorning the building - see how many you recognize!

Some people eat in their car, some people eat next to the building on the benches - you have a view of the water, the Navy ships and Woolloomooloo Pier (where Russell Crowe lives)

Great hang out and eating spot year round, but especially nice on a warm sunny day!

Favorite Dish: "Hot Dog with the lot" and a fresh home baked chocolate chip cookie .... Mmmmmmm

They have a full selection of bottled water, juice and soft drinks as well.

• karin_kamphuis's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies: Don't miss these famous Hotdogs (and other snacks)

by karin_kamphuis Written Jan 27, 2005

Harry 's cafe de Wheels

Very (in our eyes) strange combinations of hotdogs with green substances (pea?).

But we tasted the hotdogs and they were GREAT!

It's nice to watch the pictures with famous people on the cafe. It's a very famous cafe!!!

Favorite Dish: Hotdogs!!!!! MMMMhhhhhhhhh........

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels: A SYDNEY LANDMARK

by BerniShand Written Jan 2, 2005

the Cafe de Wheels

first opened 60 years ago the Cafe de Wheels serves pies 24 hours a day, we just had a cup of tea, 8am is way too early for pies for us, but we had a great time looking at all the photographs which show the cafe and the famous people who have eaten here

it looks like a fun place to meet and eat, probably not on a very rainy day as it was when we were there

the original Cafe is in Woolloomooloo, we did see another in Darling Harbour

• Harry's Cafe de Wheels.Pies.: Harry's Cafe de Wheels

by grkboiler Written Jan 25, 2004

Harry's Cafe de Wheels is one of Sydney's most popular places for a bite to eat. All it is is an outdoor meat pie cart, but it does incredible business and the lines can be very long. It is open 18 hours every day, and is frequented by many celebrities whenever they come to Sydney.

Harry's has been around since the 1930's and has an interesting history, which you can read about on its website. You can also see pictures of some celebs who have eaten there.

Favorite Dish: My favourite was the Beef Pie, with mash, peas and gravy. It is the perfect food to please your appetite. You can get a pie with many combinations of toppings, and the website has pictures of them. Harry's also serves hot dogs, but if you don't order a pie, you will waste your trip here.

• dracko's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels.Pies.: A street legend

by dracko Written Dec 11, 2003

This place is legendary! In fact, it's almost become a tourist attraction these days. Basically a street stand that has attained its status by always being there for the hungry masses in the wee hours of the morning. The usual fare are hot dogs and pies of all sorts. The food is good and cheap ($5 meal, can't beat that!) - just be weary of sea gulls trying to steal it from you. And it's only open all night on weekends. Weekdays I think it closes around 1 or 2am.

Favorite Dish: I had one of the pies, can't remember which one. It wasn't bad at all, fairly filling too. Be sure to grab extra napkins!!

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Harry's Cafe de Wheels.Pies.: Pies, pies and more pies (Woolloomoloo)

by leffe3 Updated Jul 14, 2003

A Sydney institution. Down in Woolloomoolloo Bay is the kiosk that has remained static for years. If you need proof, look at the b/w photos dotted round the outside walls. And although near the Naval Yards, its had its fair share of rich and famous grace its ketchup bottles. Grab yourself one of the fantastic Aussie national dishes - meat pie. Have it served with mashed potato and mushy peas dolloped on the top. Bung on a sauce and there you have it - a fantastic haute-cuisine, Australian style (yeah, right -:)). Its a must, but if you can't face it, stick to the hotdogs. Stand round the kiosk staring at the photos or go sit on the wooden beam protecting cars from parking in the water of the docks. Not exactly the most stylish of environments, but you should do it once. (plastic knives and napkins provided)

Favorite Dish: That pie described above. Its the most expensive on the menu at A$4.

Instant Answers: Sydney

Comments

Hotels Near Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Pies
4.5 out of 5 stars